Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B7 4.2 A/C Compressor Question

Vehicles
      92' VW Motorsports 2.0 GTI; 01 Jetta VR6; 06 Chrysler 300 SRT8 ; 06 Audi S4 25quattro
      03-07-2012 01:23 AM #1
      Ok Gents here is the deal, about 2 weeks ago I picked up a 06 S4 25Quattro. About 2 days ago my A/C Compressor went out, well it somehow cracked and is now slowly leaking and not holding the fluid like it should be. the car is no longer under warranty, but I did purchase an extended warranty, the only catch to the warranty is that it does not go into effect until the 22nd of May. The question I have is am I able to drive the car without causing any further problems?

Vehicles
      02 Jeep Wrangler
      03-07-2012 07:43 PM #2
      what do you mean cracked? the casing itself? it shouldnt cause any immediate problems. i it run off of a shaft that is chain driven on the back of the motor. if the compressor itself is somehow seized, it could potentially lock up and break the chain.
      Franco

Vehicles
      92' VW Motorsports 2.0 GTI; 01 Jetta VR6; 06 Chrysler 300 SRT8 ; 06 Audi S4 25quattro
      03-07-2012 11:38 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 96jettasexer View Post
      what do you mean cracked? the casing itself? it shouldnt cause any immediate problems. i it run off of a shaft that is chain driven on the back of the motor. if the compressor itself is somehow seized, it could potentially lock up and break the chain.
      The casing itself it leaking which is causing the freon to leak out immediately after putting it in. The compressor is not seized up **knock on wood**. Although the car will not allow the A/C compressor to kick on, so the climate control will not switch out of ECON mode. I talked to my mechanic today and he said to just hold off till the warranty kicks in, otherwise I will be spending upwards of 1300 for a brand new OEM Compressor or $500+ for a refurbished Compressor well and the 8+ hours the book has written for the mechanic to fix it. So it looks like no AC for a couple months.

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 1992 VW Cabriolet & 1983 Rabbit GTI
      03-22-2012 12:25 PM #4
      Hey...I don't know if you saw my listing on this forum. But if need be I have a brand new A/C Compressor i'm selling. I was involved in an accident (Luckily minimal impact) but where i go hit it cracked the harness/plug for my AC to even work. So i had to dish out the 1200 bucks for a brand new one for a stupid plug. If you need i'm letting it go cheap. I'm only asking $600 for the thing and its never been installed and still in the plastic bag. The only thing you'd need is the harness/plug from your car and its good to go. Let me know

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 08:05 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mk1vdubcabby View Post
      Hey...I don't know if you saw my listing on this forum. But if need be I have a brand new A/C Compressor i'm selling. I was involved in an accident (Luckily minimal impact) but where i go hit it cracked the harness/plug for my AC to even work. So i had to dish out the 1200 bucks for a brand new one for a stupid plug. If you need i'm letting it go cheap. I'm only asking $600 for the thing and its never been installed and still in the plastic bag. The only thing you'd need is the harness/plug from your car and its good to go. Let me know
      Thanks for the offer but I am going to hold off until my warranty kicks in. It is not seized, the spindle is not broke, it just wont hold freon, so instead of blowing upwards of $2000 Ill just let my warranty pick that one up.

Vehicles
      06 Jetta GLI, 06 VW Sharan, 98 VW GTI
      03-26-2012 04:27 PM #6
      the new generation of variable compressor used on VW Audi's (Zexel, Denso and Sanden compressors) do work all the time so they have to have a complete R134 charge to get lubricated so if your system is leaking it will also leak a/c oil and eventually the compressor will seize and all the internal bits wil contaminate all the a/c system needing to replace condensor, expansion valve and sometimes even the evaporator and a/c lines (more then $2000 in parts alone. So you have to have the a/c fixed you can't use the car without risking all that I already mention

Vehicles
      VW CC R-line
      05-16-2012 02:47 PM #7
      I don't own a S4 but I just purchased a VW CC recently and the compressor had a puncture in it as a rock i guess flew in through the grill on the highway and i noticed smoke coming out of my engine bay immediately which was the freon gas. Took it into VW today and I still have warranty but they wouldn't cover it because it has a puncture/crack and I'm spending 1000 bucks to get it fixed. Not happy at all as I purchased this car a little over a month ago. It just baffles me as to why they would put the compressor right behind the grill where things could constantly hit it.