Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS: 87 16v Cabby

Vehicles
      OG T-Red 1987 Cabby 2.0 16v CIS-E
      03-07-2012 01:52 AM #1
      A little wordy, but hopefully this will alleviate most questions.... couple pics here: (more to follow) http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/2888816320.html

1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet (Rabbit Convertible) with a swapped in 2.0 litre 16v engine from a Passat. Scirocco 16v intake and Fuel Injection.

The Good:

Fast! Fun! Handles like a go-cart.. no spinning out though like a real go-cart Pretty much garage kept since i got the car 3yrs ago and began restoration.

NO RUST! AZ car!

2L 16v CIS-E ... Poly and HD mounts... Short Ratio 5sp manual gearbox.. Swapped in April 2010 with all new switches, sensors, Oxygen Sensor, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, hoses, injector bungs and seals, baffled oil pan.

When doing swap, I also replaced ALL front suspension bushings with polyurethane, new brake rotors and pads, black stainless steel brake lines, upgraded 22mm brake master cylinder, wheel bearings, A-arms, ball joints, etc. oh, and a rebuilt steering rack and bushings too.

4-2-1 exhaust mani -> Techtonics Tuning Downpipe, Full TT 2.25" Exhaust w/ hi-flow cat, resonator, and TT venturi, Stainless Borla Muffler

New Lightened Flywheel, New Clutch and Pressure Plate, fresh trans fluid about 6 months ago
      Butter smooth, positive shifts, no clunks or grinds, even going into reverse!

TT short shift kit, all new shift bushings - 6months

RARE!! 4x100 15x6 ET38 COMPOMOTIVE ALUMINUM 5-spoke wheels with year old Nankang NS-2 - 165/45/15 tires - 15mm spacers in the rear

Koni Sport Yellow Adjustable Dampening shocks and struts with Koni Blue Springs..Rear is height adjustable spring perches. Front lower brace

Corbeau reclining racing seats with adjustable lumbar bladders, black microfiber (fake suede) with dual sliders and center adjusting bar. 5 point harness ready --SUPER COMFY!! (I may keep these for my next car)

MKII GTI Gauge cluster (140mph Speedo, 6200 redline, MFA) Speedo and tach work! Odometer works when it wants. Car has about 200k on body. Blue LED mod so all dash lights, VDO console gauges, and Pioneer Premier USB / Ipod control CD stereo are matching blue

Momo Steering Wheel and Hub

Swapped in Power Windows from 92 Cabby

New windshield and seal about 2.5 years ago... couple tiny rock chips now, but no cracks

New vinyl top, padding and headliner 2 yrs ago. Monthly clean and protect with 303 products

Clipper body kit from later model Cabriolet.

Upgraded ecode H4 Headlights BRIGHT! Badgeless Grill. 4 light stock grill also available

TT Knock sensor spacer, K&N air Filter

this week it started overheating due to a cracked overflow tank so i flushed sytem and installed new coolant, overflow tank, thermostat, fan switch.

The Bad:

Burns oil.. Pretty sure its the valve stem seals. could possibly be rings as well. The motor is just tired... I have an entire 2L 16v from a 92 passat with 90k sitting in the garage. it has all accessories, ecu, and fuel system. and another complete 16v head.
      My plan was to work this motor a bit and swap it in... its time to move on...reluctantly. I need a car with more room so im diverting my funds toward that... otherwise i would keep this car and continue to improve it.

No A/C.. when i was putting in a new compressor, the existing hose threads were fused to the old compressor and snapped off when removing, effectively ruining the hose. Since then i have removed the compressor and condenser. I still have these. New seals are installed and i have a recharge kit. It just needs one hose, which i am told by a friend that his guy can fix the existing hose for cheap... we'll see about that.

No Heat, but on the 3 days of the year you may need it here in AZ, you can wear a coat. :-p

Upper window seals are old (compressed) so water will get in when washing the car, but not when it rains.

Little dings here and there. few scratches on bumper covers.

Reverse lights dont work. Just the switch i think.

Outer CV Boots Cracked but joints are good! No Clicks or clunks

Somewhere in the middle:
      Original Toronado Red Paint fading showing its age. down to primer in spots and a couple spots on ridges its essentially down to bare metal from a happy buffer. I love the way it looks though!

$3250 OBO

Will discount the price if you don't want wheels or seats. ill put stock ones back on the car.

More pictures coming soon once i get them organized.
      Last edited by nrsmith66; 03-07-2012 at 01:58 AM.