Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Torn on a new Wrangler, need some advice

Vehicles
      2002 Buick Regal LS. Yes a Buick, no I'm not that old, but you youngins stay off my grass
      03-07-2012 01:37 PM #1
      I'm torn on what to do here.

It seems every time I look to build a wrangler online and add a few options, I'm up to $35k. It's usually a 4 door sahara with LSD, NAV, dual tops, the connectivity package (bluetooth, USB port for the stereo) and a couple of others.

My other option is 2 door with nothing. I've found them as low as $18k brand new on the lot.

This will be my DD. I drive about 5km to work and back, not a road trip car, will use my GF's civic for that. No towing, no dogs, no kids. Will be doing some off roading, but am completely new to it so I will be starting slow.

What options do I need to get on a wrangler, if any?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      5.7L WK2 | 2.5L TJ
      03-07-2012 02:12 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
      doing some off roading, but am completely new to it so I will be starting slow.
      Unless you pay cash for it, I can't recommend buying a brand new vehicle for off roading. Review your insurance carefully as to what & where is covered. Off road parks are similiar to race tracks typically, in that that's where your coverage ends.

That aside, the LSD is a good option, the lockers in the Rubi will get a novice further into trouble than they are experienced getting out of.

Interior stuff, extra tops... that's your call. You don't care if I like bluetooth...
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

Vehicles
      2002 Buick Regal LS. Yes a Buick, no I'm not that old, but you youngins stay off my grass
      03-07-2012 03:23 PM #3
      Off roading will be a small part of what I would be doing, maybe a couple of times a year.

Is the jeep bluetooth any good or am I better off sticking with an aftermarket one?

Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GTI 16v, 2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon
      03-07-2012 03:36 PM #4
      The 2 door will be much easier to learn how to drive offroad with as you won't get hung up on as much. If you are not getting a Rubi for the love of god get the optional 3.73 gears. It is a $75 option that would require an extra 0 if you do it afterwords.
      XboxLive: MotoSoul
      Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

I don't understand why some people don't use capitalization when typing on the internet? Capitalization is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone Grey 1.8T GTI|1990 Tornado Red G60 Corrado |2012 3.6L M/T Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      03-08-2012 01:39 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DanG View Post
      I'm torn on what to do here.

It seems every time I look to build a wrangler online and add a few options, I'm up to $35k. It's usually a 4 door sahara with LSD, NAV, dual tops, the connectivity package (bluetooth, USB port for the stereo) and a couple of others.

My other option is 2 door with nothing. I've found them as low as $18k brand new on the lot.

This will be my DD. I drive about 5km to work and back, not a road trip car, will use my GF's civic for that. No towing, no dogs, no kids. Will be doing some off roading, but am completely new to it so I will be starting slow.

What options do I need to get on a wrangler, if any?
      I have a 2012 2DR Rubicon.

I love it, I have 2k miles on it.
      I use it as my winter daily driver and I go offroading here and there.
      No crazy rock crawling, just easy to medium trails. (I'm learning as I go along)

The uConnect (bluetooth) is good but not the best.
      Not sure if its my phone but sometimes it just doesn't connect.
      The usb interface freezes my iPod at times.
      I have the 130 basic radio w/ the Infinity system it sounds good.
      I didn't want to spend close to 2k for a nav system, might as well buy aftermarket.

All models are capable of handling off road conditions.

The Rubicon just has an off the box ready to go options like the lockers, electronic swaybar, 32" mud terrains, D44 front & rear.

Some people just buy Sport models and modify them like crazy.

There's a big aftermarket world for Jeeps, you can make yours unique.
      ---------------------
      Bleifrei ------------
      Unleaded ----------
      Sans Plomb -------
      SpoonfedTuning

Vehicles
      AWD Wagon-ish thing
      03-08-2012 09:53 AM #6
      I've also got a 2012 2-door Rubicon. Love it.

To me, the must have options are the 3.73 gears (standard on Rubi, optional on others), the limited slip (Rubi has lockers standard), and the tow package. That's really it. Anything beyond that is up to you...whatever you want.
      soldierguy

AWD wagon-ish thing

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon/ 2011 Acura MDX Technology / 2003 BMW 540IT Sport
      03-08-2012 09:33 PM #7
      I've got the 2012 Rubicon Unlimited with the 4.10 gearing and 6 speed manual. I find it to be great for city driving as it can creep along very slowly in traffic in 1st gear. The hard top is nice and the front panels are very easy to remove on a nice day. The leather seats are OK but not great, may be better aftermarket options.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      03-14-2012 01:17 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
      I've also got a 2012 2-door Rubicon. Love it.

To me, the must have options are the 3.73 gears (standard on Rubi, optional on others), the limited slip (Rubi has lockers standard), and the tow package. That's really it. Anything beyond that is up to you...whatever you want.
      Is the LS still a clutch driven unit that wears out in 10k miles?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli, 2010 vw gti
      02-19-2014 12:40 AM #9
      possible new jeep owner here as well. anything i should know? have a thread in the car purchasing section http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...sible-purchase if anyone has any input please chime in, most likely making a decision tomorrow or thursday. thanks

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon
      02-19-2014 01:51 PM #10
      The best recommendation I can make is find a way to take a JK on your daily commute - if that means borrowing a friend's Jeep or asking the dealer about an extended test drive (if they still do them). You'll find out pretty quickly if the vehicle is a good fit for what you want you want.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli, 2010 vw gti
      02-19-2014 02:24 PM #11
      good thinking! ill request one tonight after work

12. 02-20-2014 09:55 AM #12
      My advice is don't buy a Sahara. All you are paying for are 18" wheels [tires will cost more to replace] and painted fenders. Look at the Sport S model. It is mechanically identical to the Sahara but with 17" wheels and non-painted fenders. And if you don't have kids or lug around extra people, look at the 2-door. And seeing that you're in Canada, I would probably go with just the hardtop instead of the dual top. You will need a place to store the hardtop when using the soft top and it takes a minimum of two people to remove it.
      Last edited by Lithium Lotus; 02-20-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Vehicles
      2010 S4 Prestige, 1999 TJ 4.0, 2010 A4 P+ (Hers)
      02-20-2014 11:07 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkadunkle View Post
      possible new jeep owner here as well. anything i should know?
      Well at least now you're on the right track, looking at the existing threads... don't forget to hit the search, as I mentioned in your thread in TCL. Without even leaving TCL you'll find 13 pages of threads with Wrangler in the title.
      VAG COM services available, send a PM | Join the VWVortex Folding@Home team... save the world | Current Rides: 2010 S4 Prestige, 1999 TJ 4.0 Sport (It's FOR SALE, click here.) | Old Rides: 2001.5 A4 1.8TQMS GTRS, 1997 TJ 4.0 Sport, 1990 Corrado g60 StageIV | Lounging in a field with 726 sweater cows

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli, 2010 vw gti
      02-20-2014 01:20 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by robbyb413 View Post
      Well at least now you're on the right track, looking at the existing threads... don't forget to hit the search, as I mentioned in your thread in TCL. Without even leaving TCL you'll find 13 pages of threads with Wrangler in the title.
      not true, i did a search and yes 13 pages were found but none specifically towards a wrangler JK

Vehicles
      93 mustang gt, 04 Tahoe, 13 DRZ400SM, 04 yz250
      02-20-2014 01:20 PM #15
      After owning 2 2drs, a 2011 sport auto with 3.73s and a 13 rubicon 6spd with 4.10s i can tell you which options i would have again.

both tops- loved the premium tinted top on my rubi but really wanted hard top for winter.
      6spd- i don't have a fair comparison because the auto i had was a 4spd and the new are a 5spd.
      3.73s at least - if you're doing light or rarely offroading and aren't throwing 35+ tires 3.73s are fine.
      tow package - cheaper as option than aftermarket
      power inverter- used that thing all the time lol
      lsd- if no lockers pony up for lsd

I had base jeeps on both minus gears, tow, and premium top on the rubi, i like mine plain jane.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli, 2010 vw gti
      02-20-2014 02:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      After owning 2 2drs, a 2011 sport auto with 3.73s and a 13 rubicon 6spd with 4.10s i can tell you which options i would have again.

both tops- loved the premium tinted top on my rubi but really wanted hard top for winter.
      6spd- i don't have a fair comparison because the auto i had was a 4spd and the new are a 5spd.
      3.73s at least - if you're doing light or rarely offroading and aren't throwing 35+ tires 3.73s are fine.
      tow package - cheaper as option than aftermarket
      power inverter- used that thing all the time lol
      lsd- if no lockers pony up for lsd

I had base jeeps on both minus gears, tow, and premium top on the rubi, i like mine plain jane.
      good to know! i have the 6spd in my gti but if i get a wrangler im gonna just get an auto

17. 02-20-2014 04:31 PM #17
      I'll chime in because I believe that I have relevant experience....

I traded my 04 MKIV GLI for a 4dr Wrangler Sport back in October. I initially wanted to order a Sahara with Nav, but found a Sport S model already way below invoice with most of the options I wanted anyway. I got mine OTD for less than 30k.

I got the LSD, Max Tow package (with the 3.73 gears), Black Appearance group, BT Connectivity the Alpine Audio package (with standard Sat radio).

I DID NOT get Navigation, hard top, or heated seats (not available with Sport models). I don't miss the Nav because I rarely use it. I don't notice too much trouble with only having the soft top so far in the winter. I do miss the heated seats, but not enough to get a better trimmed Jeep.

The Sport "S" package gets you close (IMO) to what a Sahara offers. When you get a Sahara, you get color matched fenders, logo stitched seats, and silver bumper accents. You really don't need any of these things to justify the increased price of a Sahara.

As far as moving to a Wrangler as a DD, I'm not looking back. The ride and comfort are very good for the size of the vehicle. Power is decent with the Pentastar engine. Off-road capability is great so far.... and I don't have any wheeling experience. I love the utility and can't imagine going back to something smaller (unless it's a 2nd "fun" vehicle). Right now I drive a friends MKVI GTI during lunch breaks for my "speed and power" fix.

I hope this helps.... let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Vehicles
      2010 S4 Prestige, 1999 TJ 4.0, 2010 A4 P+ (Hers)
      02-21-2014 12:39 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkadunkle View Post
      not true, i did a search and yes 13 pages were found but none specifically towards a wrangler JK
      My guess is you didn't use the search correctly. When you search from the dropdown that's correct - you get a ton of randrom stuff. If you actually go to the search, tell it to search for "Wrangler", use "title only", and search only in TCL you get 13 pages that are ALL threads on wranglers.

Here are 14 threads from the first three pages that are either people asking for input on JKs, or people reviewing/discussing reviews of JKs that would directly help you with your decision making:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...light=wrangler

Lots to read there. Enjoy.
      VAG COM services available, send a PM | Join the VWVortex Folding@Home team... save the world | Current Rides: 2010 S4 Prestige, 1999 TJ 4.0 Sport (It's FOR SALE, click here.) | Old Rides: 2001.5 A4 1.8TQMS GTRS, 1997 TJ 4.0 Sport, 1990 Corrado g60 StageIV | Lounging in a field with 726 sweater cows

Vehicles
      YJ, G35x, OG Legacy
      03-11-2014 06:19 PM #19
      I've been around Jeeps for my entire life (literally my parents brought me home from the Hospital in a CJ5), personally I've owned CJ5, CJ7, YJ and a WJ Grand Cherokee; and just recently got to spend a week and about 800 miles behind the wheel of a 2013 JK Unlimited and it is by far the best Jeep of all time. I picked it up from Avis at SFO and drove it all the way up to Tahoe in rain and snow. The thing is AWESOME; seriously I found it to be super comfortable on the highway and with the new 3.6L Pentastar engine I was avgeraging over 20mpg per the EVIC. This was also a rental with over 30K miles on it and it originated in the fleet in Colorado so you know it had to have been abused somewhat off-road in the last year. Yet it still drove like it was brand new.

The unit I had rented was pretty basic, it did have the hard top, alloys and fog lights (It's the Sport S model) and I built a replica on their website and got a price of $32K (Before any incentives). $32,000 is a tough pill to swallow, BUT the JKU has one of the highest resale values of anything out there if not THE highest. As capable as the JKU is off-road, I can't see myself shelling out that kind of money and then going off-roading, now my definition of "offroad" probably differs from others, Yuppies from an Urban area may consider a graded single lane dirt road "offroading", while my offoading will result in major vehicle damage if you don't take careful lines, and while others yet may consider body damage a mandatory side effect of offroading combined with multiple near death experiences. I'd love a JKU to replace my WJ just to tackle the snowy and muddy spring dirt roads to my house, but I'm just personally not there yet to bite the bullet and take on that kinda car note no matter how good this thing is.

Last edited by 1badMKIrocco; 03-11-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta 2.5, 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 5 speed (250k miles and being rebuilt), 2008 Ninja 650R
      03-20-2014 04:48 PM #20
      My vote would go to the 2 door stripped version. Opt for the 3.73 gears (as others have said) and basically just enjoy it. You'll upgrade what you need to as you get into different off-road situations. When something breaks, upgrade it. When you get stuck, figure out what can be upgraded to keep it from happening again. Just make sure not to go wheeling alone. Always have another vehicle there with you. It's a lot of fun, enjoy it.
      IBEW Local 24

Vehicles
      Lifted Outback
      03-21-2014 01:48 PM #21
      I'm in the same boat as I would like to unload my Outback for a 2dr Sport S model, not sure if I want a 6spd or auto yet though.

I see people keep mentioning getting the 3.73 gearing from the factory, would the 3.73 do a manageable job running 35s or 33s?
      Last edited by Heffernan; 03-21-2014 at 01:59 PM.
      AndrewTech Automotive
      8029 Cessna Ave, Gaithersburg, MD 20879-4141
      240-683-1000 | sales@andrewtechautomotive.com

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-07-2014 11:03 AM #22
      What about the Willy's? Seems like a good package,

Model HighLights

Key Features

Additional Key Features

Willys Wheeler Package
      Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
      Sunrider® Soft Top
      Rock Rails
      Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
      Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
      Willys Hood Decal
      Wrangler Decal - Low Gloss Black
      Slush Mats by Mopar®

Engine/Transmission

3.6-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT Engine
      6-Speed Manual Transmission
      Command-Trac® Shift-on-the-Fly 4WD System
      Next Generation Dana® 30 Solid Front Axle
      Next Generation Dana® 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle
      3.73 Axle Ratio

Multimedia

Uconnect® 130 AM/FM/CD/MP3
      SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription
      Connectivity Group with Bluetooth® Hands-Free

Seating

Cloth Seats with Adjustable Head Restraints

Wheels/Tires

17-Inch x 7.5-Inch High Gloss Black Willys Wheels
      LT255/75R17 BSW Off-Road Tires

EPA est. MPG

17 city/21 hwy

Interior & Exterior

Additional Features

100-MPH Primary Speedometer

12-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet

160-Amp Alternator

18.6-Gallon Fuel Tank

4-Wheel Disc Brakes

4-Wheel Drive Swing Gate Decal

600-Amp Maintenance Free Battery

Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices

Base Interior Accents

Black Front Bumper

Black Rear Bumper

Black Sunrider® Soft Top

Body-Color Grille

Cargo Compartment Floor Mat

Cargo Tie Down Loops

Center High-Mount Stop Lamp

Chrome / Leather-Wrapped Shift Knob

Complete Chassis Parts Module

Conventional Differential Front Axle

Driver Seat Height Adjuster

Dual Note Electric Horns

Easy Access Passenger Seat

Electronic Roll Mitigation

Electronic Stability Control

Electronic Vehicle Information Center

Engine Oil Cooler

Fog Lamps

Front Dome with On / Off Switch Lamp

Front Door Tinted Glass

Front Passenger Seat Belt Alert

Front Seat Area Carpet

Front Seatback Map Pockets

Front Stabilizer Bar

Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield

Full Metal Doors with Roll-up Windows

Full Size Spare Tire

Full-Length Floor Console

Glove Box

Halogen Headlamps

Hill Start Assist

Hydraulic Assist Brake Booster

Individual Tire Pressure Monitoring Display

Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel

Low-Back Bucket Seats

Non-Locking Fuel Filler Cap

Performance Suspension

Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering

Premium Instrument Cluster with Tachometer

Protective Coating and Remover

Rear Compartment Covered Storage

Rear Folding Seat

Rear Passenger Assist Handles Kit

Rear Seat / Wheelhouse / Cargo Carpet

Rear Stabilizer Bar

Rear-Seat Adjustable Head Restraints

Rearview Day / Night Mirror

Reclining Front Seats

Rock Rails

Seat Parts Module

Sentry Key® Theft Deterrent System

Sliding Sun Visors with Mirrors

Slush Mats by Mopar®

Speed Control

Sport Bar with Full Padding

Storage Tray

Sunrider® Soft Top

Temperature and Compass Gauge

Tethered Fuel Filler Cap

Tilt Steering Column

Trac-Lok® Differential Rear Axle

Traction Control

Trailer Sway Damping

Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield

Two Front Tow Hooks and One Rear Tow Hook

Uconnect® Voice Command with Bluetooth®

Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers

Willys Hood Decal

Willys Wheeler Package

Wrangler Decal - Low Gloss Black

Climate Control Options

Heater with Instrument Panel Ventilation

Exterior Paint Procedures

Monotone Paint

Glass

Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows

Tinted Windshield Glass

GVWR Packages

Gross Vehicle Weight / Payload Rating

Mirrors

Manual Fold-Away Mirrors
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon
      04-07-2014 12:16 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Heffernan View Post
      I'm in the same boat as I would like to unload my Outback for a 2dr Sport S model, not sure if I want a 6spd or auto yet though.

I see people keep mentioning getting the 3.73 gearing from the factory, would the 3.73 do a manageable job running 35s or 33s?
      I'm still getting into the off roading hobby but can share some hearsay on what I've seen online.

Most people on the JK forums say that the 3.73s on the 2012+ will turn the 33's with no issues on the auto or manual. If you move up to 35's and live in a hilly area regearing is recommended. Here is the chart that most people check when thinking tire size and gears:

Unless you have a light tire and wheel combo those 35s are right at the limit of the D35 front. Wheelspin on rocks could break a shaft or big impacts could bend the axle tube. Luckily there are tons of options for chromoly shafts and weld on braces for the axle tubes.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      5.7L WK2 | 2.5L TJ
      04-07-2014 02:32 PM #24
      Yeah, 39" tires with 3.73 gears...

To me, that screams that somebody good at math made that chart, not somebody with tire experience. But hey, I could be wrong.

04-07-2014 04:55 PM #25
      You do realize that the chart is suggesting that 39s with 3.73 gearing is unacceptable, right?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      5.7L WK2 | 2.5L TJ
      04-07-2014 05:40 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      You do realize that the chart is suggesting that 39s with 3.73 gearing is unacceptable, right?
      No, because I don't see "suggestions" anywhere on that chart, I see "minimum" which is what it lists that combo as.

I do see 7.17 gears though. So that's cool.

04-07-2014 06:09 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      No, because I don't see "suggestions" anywhere on that chart, I see "minimum" which is what it lists that combo as.

I do see 7.17 gears though. So that's cool.
      I was looking at the manual one, didn't even realize there were two charts. On the manual that falls outside of minimum.