Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Taking the plunge on a late 04 v8? (vin 84K or so)

Vehicles
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8, 2000 Jetta TDI - RIP
      03-07-2012 03:30 PM #1
      Our much beloved 2000 Jetta TDI gave her all last Saturday. Managed to hit a Dodge 2500 Cummins + 2-axle travel trailer. We're all ok - Jessie the Jetta not so much.

Want to stay in the VW family so we're considering an 04 V8 Touareg, 120K miles, vin around 84000 - dealer asking $11,500. Will get the CF report Saturday. From what I've read in the FAQs here VINs > 45K or so are better. I work from home so the mpg doesn't scare me *that* much ( considering 48-50mpg from Jessie ). We live in the Rockies and love exploring new trails/places so are thinking the 'reg will be a good fit. Owned nothing but VW's since 79. As for family size - 2 adults, 50lb dog and a 3 year old kiddo. Might have another kiddo one day - not sure yet.

Just looking for your input. TIA.

Carl
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8
      GBNF: 77 Chevy 1/2 ton, 79 Rabbit, 84 GTI, 88 GTI-16V, 00 Jetta GLS TDI, 00 Deville
      Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength - E. Hoffer
      Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American

2. 03-07-2012 04:48 PM #2
      by this time most of the common bugs should have been scrubbed out, but the 04's had teething pains. If service records are available, good. Stuff like alternator to battery cable, stepper motor control reflash, and spark coils are things that should have been replaced.

See if you can find out when the timing belt was done(about 80k is good), and if they replaced the water pump, thermostat, rollers and tensioner while the patient was open. If they didn't do everything, get ready for a themostat.

Another problem area is the drive shaft center mount. If done already, good. If not get ready. Mine is still good at 70k miles, but I'm getting ready.

Open the hood and inspect the intake control rods and make sure they can be moved. They are upfront and you will see 2 vacuum contollers with plastic rods. The plastic rods break when the mechanism they are attached to gets jammed.

Vehicles
      03-07-2012 04:57 PM #3
      Thanks so much for the fast reply JohnKK. Really do appreciate the advice. Going to look at it Saturday morning.
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8
      GBNF: 77 Chevy 1/2 ton, 79 Rabbit, 84 GTI, 88 GTI-16V, 00 Jetta GLS TDI, 00 Deville
      Hate is like drinking poison and wishing your enemy would die. - Native American

Vehicles
      2005 V8 Touareg, 2008 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2005 S4 Cab
      03-07-2012 06:14 PM #4
      I hope it's not a Colorado Red one in Longmont. I looked at it and it was rough to say the least. I noticed the lower grill had some damage so I looked underneath and saw some of that spray-foam insulation peeking out from a crack in the belly pan. Then I looked inside and saw a nice slash in the dashboard. Needless to say I quickly left before a salesman could help me.

Have you been looking on Craigslist? I have seen much lower mileage Touareg's in the same price range. Also, what options are you looking to get. If you don't want the air suspension then you can probably go a little lower on price already. This one has been on there since November so I'm sure they would go lower.

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/2879598864.html

When I was looking, I wanted air suspension, factory tow package, and parking sensors. Harder to find than I thought and they would disappear shortly after coming up for sale. The only thing that I wish I had, but isn't a big deal really, is the cold weather package. Heated steering wheel and rear seats are nice but obviously not as critical as what I ended up getting.

I have seen a couple nice ones for sale that are by private owners. I know a great certified mechanic who does free inspections in the Golden/Morrison area; if you are interested shoot me a PM. Either way, good luck out there.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 08:49 PM #5
      Thank y'all for the feedback. No offense to Denker but we went ahead and bought it. I *love* negotiating. It's rough, no doubt about it, but everything made by man can be repaired by man. I work from home, the grocery store is 1-1/2 miles uphill and I have also a 93 Corrado SLC. Glutton for punishment? You bet!

Called an old friend at the dealer I used to work at. There's no record of the timing belt/water pump/etc being done, so I'm doing that first. Broken belt/bent valves in my 88 GTI-16V and fixed it myself- don't wanna do that any more. Easier to change the belt first. It's had some s/w updates but the ignition coil recall hasn't been done - yet - will do that after the t-belt. Don't really want the dealer in there until I'm satisfied w/ the belt.

Brakes have been done recently - the tech left his coat hanger attached and it wasn't too rusted.

There are a few cosmetic issues - crack in the dash that Denker mentioned. Bought a 3M repair kit that I'll try when it warms up. Right fog light trim is missing. Dealer wants $75 so I may see what I can fab up for each side. Definitely have to replace the lower door trim on the front passenger door - looks like a torch flame hit it - golf ball sized hole in the trim but the sheet metal and weather stripping are good. Also have to replace the trim on the rocker panel just below the door - it melted too. Oh yeah, the lower center grille needs fixing too. Oddly - it came with 18" wheels but now has 17". The plan there is to keep the 17's and put winter tires on at the end of summer. Then next spring I'll get 18" wheels for new summer tires.

Electrically - don't have my CAN buss Vag-com cable yet (next payday). Navi quit working for a few minutes on Wednesday but started working again. Right xenon bulb flickers once in a blue moon and even less often will say "please check lights". Planning on cleaning/checking the connections for that when I have it apart to do the t-belt/water pump. Might R&R the bulbs w/ Amazon ones depending on how far it's apart.

Really pleased with it overall. I know it'll need work. Just ordered the intake manifold arms. Would have bought a new TDI version if we could have but we couldn't so here we are. Need to get some more Lexol cleaner and conditioner to de-AmourAll the seats.

Carl
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8

Vehicles
      Touareg 3 and B7 A4
      03-23-2012 09:50 PM #6
      Sounds like you have your work cut out for you..best of luck.

7. 03-28-2012 11:22 AM #7
      18" tires can cost alot more than 17" and with the 18" you will normally have less sidewall to absorb the bumps. 18" will also wear faster since in most cases, they will be more performance oriented than economy.

If you insist on a bit flatter cornering, the 18" or larger will be better.

17" are definitely the answer for winter.

Vehicles
      03-30-2012 10:53 AM #8
      Thanks shepherdgti and JohnKK. Really appreciate the advice about winter tires. Not much practice growing up in Louisiana Will definitely stick with 17's - the 93 SLC is for handling/fun on the highway and the Touareg is for safety/comfort/room.
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 03:02 PM #9
      The joys of a used car dealer Battery died Friday. Here's what was inside .

Didn't "call for service" - just installed the proper battery.
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8

Vehicles
      Touareg 3 and B7 A4
      04-10-2012 08:23 PM #10
      If you ever want to sell that corrado let me know
      I had a 92 slc that was totaled, and I still miss that car.

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 04:55 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by shepherdgti View Post
      If you ever want to sell that corrado let me know
      I had a 92 slc that was totaled, and I still miss that car.
      Will do, shepherdgti. Gotta say it holds a special place in my heart. I'm the original owner. My mom and I shared a loved of quick cars. She really liked riding in the SLC the best followed closely by my 84 GTI. Before she passed she made me promise I'd race it again one day. Said she'd haunt me from her grave if I don't. Don't have the funds to do a proper event right now so I just go out in the garage from time to time, sit in that wonderful EvoII seat, make vroom-vroom noises and visualize Red Barchetta in my mind.

I still have all the stock parts. We've been talking about taking out the racy bits and making her comfy again for some fun summer drives in the mountains. Could still put the racy bits back if I can ever save up enough do to the Big Bend Open again.

Taken 10 or 11 years ago - wife looking "relaxed"

and just the seats

Sorry to go so far OT. Could have never visualized where I am today when I bought her so long ago... 19 years and 350,000 miles of driving various VW's since then... lots of memories...
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      2004/VW/Touareg
      04-12-2012 05:37 PM #12
      What battery did you end up going with?

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:59 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by OTSB708 View Post
      What battery did you end up going with?
      This lovely piece of craftsmanship from Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/16782659

It was $98 with a 3 year replacement warranty. I checked NAPA first - when I was picking up the 10mm triple square - they wanted $215 for a 1 year warranty and would have to order it. We were leaving town the next morning and it was in stock at Walmart so they won on price and availability. Thankfully they didn't install batteries in "anywhere other than the normal place under the hood". Drove home, swapped batteries and was back to turn in the old battery in right at an hour.

I didn't even call VW. I used to work in a VW parts department and am very much not impressed with my closest dealer's parts crew. They're about 25 miles away and it's really not worth the fuel to get there, imho. I've been calling the place I used to work and just having them ship parts. Works out ok - my old friends get a little commission and I don't have to visit a parts shop with problems.

Hoping the battery works out ok. We're not going to get super off road with it but we really enjoy dispersed camping in the national forests. Some of the places can be a pretty decent hike to get out of if you're lugging a 3 year old. So I'm trusting it to start - at least this summer.
      Peace!
      93 SLC, 04 Touareg V8

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2004/VW/Touareg
      04-13-2012 05:45 PM #14
      Cool! Thanks for the link. I'm with you on not planning to super offroad so that battery looks perfect!