Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

    View Poll Results: Which GTI would you GTLike

    Voters
    133. You may not vote on this poll
    • GTI we have now

      101 75.94%
    • Polo GTI for the same price

      3 2.26%
    • Polo GTI but only if cheaper than current GTI

      29 21.80%
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 36 to 52 of 52

    Thread: GTI vs GTI

    1. Member DoktaJoch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2002
      Location
      Bavaria
      Posts
      2,214
      Vehicles
      '02 VW Golf GTI
      03-08-2012 05:39 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      I have the impression that most people in the States don't know that the Polo is nothing more than a cheap econobox in Europe, not some sort of premium transportation. It cracks me up when I read people complaining about the lack of manual transmission.... Dude, it's a frickin' Polo, it was ment to take you from point A to B economically, it's the Corolla of VW.
      I agree with your point that the Polo is basic transportation, however that is why it is crazy that the car (in GTI guise) is only offered with DSG. All basic cars here are manuals, an automatic or dsg is still a luxury item in smaller cars in general and fairly rare in general.

    2. Member Rascal04's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2004
      Location
      Finland
      Posts
      685
      Vehicles
      Saab 93 '99, VW Polo 9N3 '07
      03-08-2012 05:58 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spongeworthy View Post
      it's the Corolla of VW.
      I thought always that golf it's the corolla on vw
      Last edited by Rascal04; 03-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.

    3. 03-08-2012 06:08 AM #38
      I'd take the Polo, just because I don't like the current GTI... I mean, my 1.8T never lost!
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

    4. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2001
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      12,891
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-08-2012 09:18 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      What if VW of North America let the internet pick the GTI for the US market.... which would you choice TCL?

      US GTI or replace it with the Polo GTI and just call it the GTI.

      GTI

      Golf.

      And interesting pic, I work in this building.

    5. Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Jersey City
      Posts
      12,249
      Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      03-08-2012 09:21 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Golf.

      And interesting pic, I work in this building.
      Lucky you that was the first pic I came across on google that showed a North American 2012 model
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

    6. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      14,539
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf GTI
      03-08-2012 09:22 AM #41
      The Polo GTI sucks (by comparison) No thanks

    7. Member SnowboarderX216's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 7th, 2004
      Location
      Lancaster, PA
      Posts
      3,972
      Vehicles
      '12 Volkswagen GTI, '07 Audi A3
      03-08-2012 09:25 AM #42
      I'll stick with what I got

      Had/Have 1999.5 Jetta | 2006 GTI | 1991 GTI | 2004 A4 | 2008 R32 | 2012 GTI | 2012 Escape | 2007 A3

      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      Because inflammatory arguments based on meaningless speculation is what we do around here.

    8. Member Professor Gascan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2002
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      10,026
      03-08-2012 10:30 AM #43
      Golf GTI everytime.

      I may be going it alone on this one, but I do wish that VWoA would kill the 3-door GTI and replace it with the Scirocco, and keep the 5-door GTI going.

      Last edited by Professor Gascan; 03-08-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Grammar fail
      Quis Mulgere Ipsos Lac Homines

    9. Senior Member Fritz27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2003
      Location
      Brickell
      Posts
      26,030
      Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      03-08-2012 10:34 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gascan View Post
      Golf GTI everytime.

      I'm may going it alone in this one, but I do wish that VWoA would kill the 3-door GTI and replace it with the Scirocco, and keep the 5-door GTI going.

      That would be so awesome.
      PSN: PhilipGTI
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      If your ass looks like a Jeep after playing off-road, I don't know what to say. Change up your diet, maybe?

    10. 03-08-2012 10:35 AM #45
      *.* < AAA
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

    11. 03-08-2012 01:29 PM #46
      The GTI is 30 grand in Canada. It should be just under 25 and the Polo should be just under 20. Then I would go with the Polo. As it stands, neither.

    12. Member IsraelGT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2001
      Posts
      6,084
      Vehicles
      FX50S, Sienna AWD ltd.
      03-08-2012 03:24 PM #47
      The Golf!
      VW really nailed it with the Golf GTI, and after years of lukewarm cars, the MkV came out and proved VW can still make hot hatches.
      The Polo never really managed to copy the bigger sibling.

    13. Member someguy123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2005
      Posts
      14,709
      Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      03-08-2012 03:37 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
      This post alone proves how f*cking stupid you are. I won't even bother responding to your post in the NSX thread.

      There was an article from an Australian publication that compared a GTI DSG and a Polo GTI DSG. The Golf GTI was quite a bit faster, and much more stable around turns and on the hwy (surprise!)
      Because you didn't fully read(or understand) my post and can't back it up in the NSX thread, huh?

      What is your major malfunction, jackass? So the Canucks lost 2 in a row at home, go cry to your momma or something.

    14. Member Professor Gascan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2002
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      10,026
      03-08-2012 04:50 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Polo TDI.

      Not interested in a GTI until they don't need premium gas.
      Explain your logic: You want to spend more money to go slower instead of spending more money to go faster? And by more money, I mean $5 a tank. If you can't justify that, you have no business being on an enthusiast car forum. If you can't afford that, you have no business being on the internet.
      Quis Mulgere Ipsos Lac Homines

    15. 03-08-2012 05:39 PM #50
      its funny because pre mk5 I would have said polo all day long.... but the truth..... the truth is the polo got too damn big, its not much smaller then the gti if you have had the good luck to see both at the same time sitting next to each other. so in that case I would rather the 2.0tsi over the 1.4 thanks.






      Last edited by elmer fud; 03-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.
      I'm a certified vw/mazda dealer tech and I run a modification shop on the side.
      02 beetle tdi,00 jetta 2x4, 92 miata,,30 pontiac.

    16. Member someguy123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2005
      Posts
      14,709
      Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      03-08-2012 07:10 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzkill View Post
      This statement blows my mind like no other has in a long time. You don't like the premium you pay for premium gas, but will pay the premium you pay for diesel gas. Now that's EURO (or something equally logical as EURO).
      Diesel is cheaper here than premium gas. By late spring/early summer, it will be the same price as Regular or even lower. Does that blow your mind?

      Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gascan View Post
      Explain your logic: You want to spend more money to go slower instead of spending more money to go faster? And by more money, I mean $5 a tank. If you can't justify that, you have no business being on an enthusiast car forum. If you can't afford that, you have no business being on the internet.
      Before Mr./Ms. Canuck gets on my case again, I just can't see spending that extra $5(probably $8+ by summer) on this (200hp + behind competitors). Other car companies like Ford's Ecoboost and Hyundai's FI engine all run at a recommended Regular gas.

      Golf R's engine, though is worth the premium.

    17. 03-08-2012 07:46 PM #52
      I would consider the Polo if they changed that ugly tailight.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •