Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Removed Catch Can = Lost Power up Top - Any Ideas?

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      03-08-2012 10:50 AM #1
      So I got tired of emptying my catch can all the time, plus I don't think it was doing anything for me and I took it off this weekend and put the stock pcv pack on. Now I don't get the same kick in the pants at upper RPM's when I hit boost. My boost gauge still shows the same levels of boost and it holds vacuum well. I also get a new "whoooossssshhhhh" sound while it is in boost. Is it possible that I am still holding boost but the boost is being diverted somewhere else? The PCV was the original one I took off 1.5 years ago.

The car seems to run fine otherwise, just it really seems to run out of breath. Maybe I should put the catch can back on? Opinions appreciated.
      2006 Audi A3 Sport | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage I | Neuspeed P-Flow | VMR Vent Boost Gauge | S3 Pedals | 3" downpipe
      Previously: | 1998 Jetta GT | Lysolm Supercharged 2.0 | Loads of other mods | Daily Driven for 10 Years |

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-08-2012 12:21 PM #2
      sounds like a vacuum leak. Make sure all your hoses are properly connected.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-08-2012 12:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Willie Gee View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by KCMTNBIKER View Post
      My boost gauge still shows the same levels of boost and it holds vacuum well.
      Vacuum leak would negate with the OP said.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      03-08-2012 01:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Willie Gee View Post
      I corrected a vacuum leak about a month ago. The leak was very small, no perceived impact to running or performance but it did have a noticeable impact on the boost gauge. Currently, boost gauge shows normal levels on both boost and vacuum.
      2006 Audi A3 Sport | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage I | Neuspeed P-Flow | VMR Vent Boost Gauge | S3 Pedals | 3" downpipe
      Previously: | 1998 Jetta GT | Lysolm Supercharged 2.0 | Loads of other mods | Daily Driven for 10 Years |

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-08-2012 02:49 PM #5
      If your boost tap is measuring the pressure in the intake manifold, there is no way that pressurized air is going anywhere other than in your cylinders. If you have no other symptoms of a boost leak (rough idle, MIL, etc) then I would say it is just psychological

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 a3 Ibis, 2004 honduh s2k, 2006 oddy
      03-08-2012 11:48 PM #6
      did you try putting the catch can back on? Or swapping out the PCV for a newer one? Either might isolate the issue...

Vehicles
      06(AUDI)A3
      03-09-2012 02:17 AM #7
      if you have a bad pcv it will not be able to close under pressure of full boost...causing symptoms like what your saying. get the latest revision of the pcv and swap it out
      Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson
      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
      My IMDb resume...Sounds I've recorded

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 1987 Scirocco 16V
      03-09-2012 09:18 AM #8
      There's a new recall out this week. It was previously a TSB and thus was not required to be performed unless the vehicle showed the proper CEL. The PCV or pressure regulating valve is replaced along with associated gaskets and a turbo inlet pipe.

This would be a good place to start. It's also free so you might as well do it.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      03-09-2012 09:36 AM #9
      Got it to throw a code last night p0299 under boost condition. It holds until 8 psi then let's go of pressure with a noticeable "wwwooooosssssssshhhhhhhh". Vacuum is still good. I am going to take it in today to see if I can get a new pcv.

Vehicles
      03-09-2012 09:40 AM #10
      Got it to throw a code last night p0299 under boost condition. It holds until 8 psi then let's go of pressure with a noticeable "wwwooooosssssssshhhhhhhh". Vacuum is still good. I am going to take it in today to see if I can get a new pcv.
      I'm not going to tell you that the recall is causing the problem, because I can't say for sure. But we have had cars come in with P0299 and the recall corrected the issue.

Hopefully it will resolve the issue for you! Keep me posted

Vehicles
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      03-09-2012 10:10 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ApexAudi View Post
      There's a new recall out this week. It was previously a TSB and thus was not required to be performed unless the vehicle showed the proper CEL. The PCV or pressure regulating valve is replaced along with associated gaskets and a turbo inlet pipe.

This would be a good place to start. It's also free so you might as well do it.
      What's the NHTSA number of the recall?

Vehicles
      03-09-2012 11:02 AM #12
      I could lose my job for divulging such information... Seriously. And why the hell would I NOT want to work for Audi?

I remember when I was 17 I had a cellphone shaped like a D and it only went up to 9. Imagine that 17, D shaped phone, 9 digits...

Best I could come up with in 30 seconds don't ask. At least it's not like the Da vinci code

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      03-09-2012 11:24 AM #13
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

Vehicles
      03-09-2012 11:54 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquirrel View Post
      Yeah, the other one is for the adjuster flap motor. The part number isn't correct but that is essentially it.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLX (sold), 2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-09-2012 02:18 PM #15
      I just checked with AOA on-line. At first, the operator said "no" but after I gave her the codes, here is her response:

"Thank you again for waiting. Yes, you are correct. 17D9 is the PCV update and 24T3 is the Motor Flap Manifold update that was released 3/5/2012. Vehicle must qualify for both warranty extensions to complete updates, which your vehicle does qualify. I will check to see if there are others that were released this week. Our vehicle data base hasn't been updated for quicker access to this information so I apologize for the incorrect response previously."

Vehicles
      03-09-2012 02:36 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by bikedewd View Post
      I just checked with AOA on-line. At first, the operator said "no" but after I gave her the codes, here is her response:

"Thank you again for waiting. Yes, you are correct. 17D9 is the PCV update and 24T3 is the Motor Flap Manifold update that was released 3/5/2012. Vehicle must qualify for both warranty extensions to complete updates, which your vehicle does qualify. I will check to see if there are others that were released this week. Our vehicle data base hasn't been updated for quicker access to this information so I apologize for the incorrect response previously."

Yes, sounds like Audi trying to deny the fact that the may have made a mess of this one... TSB-Campaign... typical process.

Wait until you hear about Audi not honoring warranty to cars with ANY aftermarket modifications... I hear it's in the works.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG Sport Pkg - Brilliant Red; Giant TCR Advanced Road Bike
      03-09-2012 02:52 PM #17
      What is this BS??

My AoA "AudiChat" log:
      Justin W. says:
      Your vehicle is in the affected groups for both warranty extensions.
      I say:
      thanks, so should I just contact my local dealer to schedule a time to get them fixed?
      Justin W. says:
      And to clarify, those are both warranty extensions, and not recalls.
      Justin W. says:
      A warranty extension extends our warranty coverage period as a manufacturer for parts outlined in those extensions. It does not require pro-active steps by you as the customer and would not cover that pro-active service if you chose to take that step.

Does this mean they won't fix it until it breaks?

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-09-2012 03:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post
      What is this BS??

My AoA "AudiChat" log:
      Justin W. says:
      Your vehicle is in the affected groups for both warranty extensions.
      I say:
      thanks, so should I just contact my local dealer to schedule a time to get them fixed?
      Justin W. says:
      And to clarify, those are both warranty extensions, and not recalls.
      Justin W. says:
      A warranty extension extends our warranty coverage period as a manufacturer for parts outlined in those extensions. It does not require pro-active steps by you as the customer and would not cover that pro-active service if you chose to take that step.

Yup

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLX (sold), 2006 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-09-2012 03:17 PM #19
      I had the same experience with the AOA on-line help until I asked her to check specifically if they were now RVU's instead of Warranty Extensions. After she checked she came back with the response I posted above. She indicated their database was not updated.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      03-09-2012 03:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post
      What is this BS??

Yeah, a warranty extension is exactly that...an extension of your factory warranty. If it doesn't fail, they won't cover it. If it's a recall or service campaign, then they will more than likely repair/replace proactively. So, the HPFP debacle is a warranty extension, meaning they won't do anything until your follower is punched through and your car sets a MIL. But the coil pack debacle was a service campaign and they replaced those for free regardless of whether or not you have an issue.

Vehicles
      03-09-2012 03:19 PM #21
      That doesn't make sense to me. A warranty extension would be something like the cam follower/hpfp which is covered up until 192 500 km and is only replaced IF it shows the appropriate symptoms.

A campaign, which is currently being performed on my personal A3 as I type this, is a recall. Which is what was mentioned above. I would ignore Audi chat, and contact your local dealer.

Vehicles
      2012 A3 2.0TQ
      03-09-2012 03:58 PM #22
      A service campaign is performed at your normal service visit. There's no notification that you qualify.

A recall is a safety-related problem that goes into the NHTSA database and a mailing is issed by AoA to owners of record to inform them that they need to make a service appointment.
      Last edited by mike3141; 03-09-2012 at 04:02 PM.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T DSG Sport Pkg - Brilliant Red; Giant TCR Advanced Road Bike
      03-09-2012 04:18 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by ApexAudi View Post
      That doesn't make sense to me. A warranty extension would be something like the cam follower/hpfp which is covered up until 192 500 km and is only replaced IF it shows the appropriate symptoms.

A campaign, which is currently being performed on my personal A3 as I type this, is a recall. Which is what was mentioned above. I would ignore Audi chat, and contact your local dealer.
      Just talked to my dealer, the computer has it listed under service campaigns, but the title says warranty extension. Either way, it's going in next Friday to get fixed, and I even get a complementary loaner car.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      03-09-2012 04:31 PM #24
      Specific to my issue, just got back from the dealer, they replaced the PCV and Intake Flap motor per the recall/warranty extension but refused to reset the engine light unless I paid them for an hour of diagnostic. Issue still exists and I am starting to think that it is my DV and separate from the removal of my catch can. I went by my favorite Indy repair shop (Bob Hindson Racing) and they gave me a barely used DV for free (the latest revision DV).

I'll slap it on later tonight and see how that goes.
      Last edited by KCMTNBIKER; 03-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.

25. 03-10-2012 02:40 PM #25
      Specific to my issue, just got back from the dealer, they replaced the PCV and Intake Flap motor per the recall/warranty extension but refused to reset the engine light unless I paid them for an hour of diagnostic. Issue still exists and I am starting to think that it is my DV and separate from the removal of my catch can. I went by my favorite Indy repair shop (Bob Hindson Racing) and they gave me a barely used DV for free (the latest revision DV).

I'll slap it on later tonight and see how that goes.
      things like that make me mad. Was it such a big thing to reset? Especially when there is a recall.....Lousy stealers!

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      03-10-2012 10:01 PM #26
      New DV fixed the issue. Ended up being completely unrelated to catch can, just a coincidence in timing.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T (sold)
      03-11-2012 08:45 AM #27
      New DV fixed the issue. Ended up being completely unrelated to catch can, just a coincidence in timing.