Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Living with a modern HD Diesel daily. What do I need to know?

1. 03-08-2012 03:28 PM #1
      The family business is picking up the right tool for the job finally. We own an office furniture business and just purchased a 24x8' enclosed trailer. Always being a Toyota family we purchased two Toyota Tundras with 5.7L's. They will pull the trailer, power is definitely not an issue but it's screaming at 3500-4500rpm and burning gas like CRAZY. We literally have to stop at every gas station when we are on the highway. So, my Dad is in the process of getting a 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually. I'm sure it's overkill, but he has always wanted a dually for some reason. My Dad loves cars but his daily's have always been leased so he never really cared too much for them. I keep trying to tell him that he's going to need to change his habits if he's going to daily a diesel. So tell me, what do I need to tell him? How long to warm it up in the summer and winter? Do you need to cool it down? Any fuel additives, especially in the winter so the fuel doesn't gel?

Throw me all the info you can! Thanks!
      2014 TRD Offroad Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Vehicles
      2005 Accord LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850(sold), 2002 Honda VTR1000, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
      03-08-2012 03:39 PM #2
      Read the owners manual = profit?

They should be pretty idiot proof nowadays.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      It ain't easy being an overweight, uneducated, Sunfire driving whoop whooping clown.

3. 03-08-2012 03:45 PM #3
      Don't have the truck yet. Just want to get him prepared if I can. Just need to get it into his head that you can't just fire it up and drive off if it's been sitting for a bit like he does now.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-08-2012 03:58 PM #4
      Actually...he pretty much can.

My dad has an '09 2500HD Duramax. No real changes to his driving style required from the '89 C2500 with a 5.7L gasser he traded out of.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      03-08-2012 04:00 PM #5
      You need a white watch/sunglasses, a flat biller hat, as much Monster energy labeled clothing you can buy, and LOTS of stickers.

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      03-08-2012 04:03 PM #6
      The only thing I'm aware of is when you turn the ignition you sometimes have to wait a few moments between the accessories on position and ignition. It sometimes has to warm up the diesel fuel before trying to fire up. At least that's how my MiL's Mercedes diesel works.

Vehicles
      2003 GTi VR6, 2006 Touareg V8
      03-08-2012 04:04 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      You need a white watch/sunglasses, a flat biller hat, as much Monster energy labeled clothing you can buy, and LOTS of stickers.
      Don't forget the semi-truck, 24" wheels

OP, you can download the owners' manual online from Chevy/GMC

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/g...rra-manual.pdf

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo XC90, 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crewcab, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Passat VR6T
      03-08-2012 04:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by FigureFive View Post
      The only thing I'm aware of is when you turn the ignition you sometimes have to wait a few moments between the accessories on position and ignition. It sometimes has to warm up the diesel fuel before trying to fire up. At least that's how my MiL's Mercedes diesel works.
      Warming the diesel fuel?

It actually warms the glow plugs so that they're hot enough to ignite the diesel fuel.

I drove a 2012 Ram 2500 Megacab from August to December. Put 13000km on it. Drove it liek I drive gas powered trucks. Modern diesels need no special care in particular.

93 Passat wagon VR6T FOR SALE http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6T-Edmonton-AB

I have my fears, but they do not have me.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI, 98 Cherokee
      03-08-2012 04:18 PM #9
      If I were you I'd be looking for a pre 07 diesel as they will have less emissions equipment and get better mpg. 07 is when the emissions regulations changed and most truck manufactures had to add dpf/scr/egr systems to meet the standards.

If you do go with the new truck you are going to have to fill up the def fluid tank along with diesel.
      06 GLI
      98 Jeep Cherokee

10. 03-08-2012 04:18 PM #10
      Ah well this is all good news. Thanks!

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      03-08-2012 04:30 PM #11
      modern diesels dont even have glow plugs.
      you just start them like a normal engine.

the myth of having to idle it forever to cool it down, or not turning it off for 10 minutes while youre running into a store is just nonsense.

use it just like you currently use your toyotas.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Exocet Race and 2012 GT500 (and?)
      03-08-2012 04:31 PM #12
      I daily a brand new Ford diesel, I treat it no different than a gasser. Turn the key and go, sometimes I don't even wait for the glow plug light to go out if I forget it's a diesel.

Oil changes are more expensive (large oil pans and you need high quality oil)

Repairs can get expensive FAST out of warranty

DEF fluid get's annoying to top off on the regular

gas people block the diesel pumps all the time

beyond that, enjoy the torque and like any other turbocharged vehicle, let it idle if you'd been working it hard before shutting down.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      03-08-2012 04:33 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperdan View Post
      Warming the diesel fuel?

It actually warms the glow plugs so that they're hot enough to ignite the diesel fuel.

you are technically wrong as well. So be careful before you dish it out. Glow plugs don't ignite diesel in a diesel engine, it is the act of compression that ignites it. Glow plugs help preheat the combustion chamber so that the the process of compression more easily ignites the fuel.
      Dave

03-08-2012 04:53 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      modern diesels dont even have glow plugs.
      you just start them like a normal engine.

the myth of having to idle it forever to cool it down, or not turning it off for 10 minutes while youre running into a store is just nonsense.

use it just like you currently use your toyotas.
      What modern diesels don't have them?

As diesels heat up fairly slowly and most are also turbocharged, my only recommendation is that your father takes it easy the first ~10 mi. or so. But everyone already knows that.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      03-08-2012 04:54 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Yugoslavia! View Post
      What modern diesels don't have them?
      Big diesels (from trucks) that he's used to don't have them.

Small diesels in passenger cars certainly do.

16. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      03-08-2012 04:55 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      yup

03-08-2012 05:01 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post

Small diesels in passenger cars certainly do.
      Thanks for that one!

I was completely sure even today's Duramax, Powerstrokes and Cummins had them considering every commercial and pickup engines over here have them. I guess I should blame the lack of real American pickups overhere for that.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      03-08-2012 05:16 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDub_L_U View Post
      I keep trying to tell him that he's going to need to change his habits if he's going to daily a diesel. So tell me, what do I need to tell him? How long to warm it up in the summer and winter? Do you need to cool it down? Any fuel additives, especially in the winter so the fuel doesn't gel?
      Tell him to get in and drive.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      03-08-2012 05:37 PM #19
      My father in law has a GMC 3500 Dually Duramax, and early one. They are full time RV'ers and use it to pull around their massive 5th wheel trailer/house.

He "daily drives" it as much as any retired person might, he's put a lot of miles on it not towing as well as the yearly trips from FL to VT and back. The only issues he ever has is parking, ie. size related, not fuel related. Get in, turn key, wait for glow plug lights to go out, turn key rest of way and start engine., Drive as normal.

It's been a great truck for him, only 1 problem but it was a major one at somewhere around 100k miles it started getting sluggish and blowing back smoke. Turned out to need injectors or some such thing, big bucks at the dealership, got no help from GM $$ even though it's a well known problem. http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/01...n-lawsuit.html
      Last edited by Sporin; 03-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8t
      03-08-2012 05:45 PM #20
      As far as know, I believe the injector issues have been resolved. If it were my truck, the very first thing I would do would be to delete every single piece of emissions equipment on it. It's what kills the mpg's on the these things and, imo, the engine too.

If you decide to not delete it, then refrain from letting it idle for long periods of time. The soot builds up inside the egr coolers/dpf filters and will just give you problems down the road.
      instagram: kobadash

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      03-08-2012 05:57 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by veedub-less View Post
      As far as know, I believe the injector issues have been resolved. If it were my truck, the very first thing I would do would be to delete every single piece of emissions equipment on it. It's what kills the mpg's on the these things and, imo, the engine too.

If you decide to not delete it, then refrain from letting it idle for long periods of time. The soot builds up inside the egr coolers/dpf filters and will just give you problems down the road.
      You are suggesting that immediately after buying a new, $50k HD Diesel pickup, you would rip out "all the emissions equipment"? Presumably to include a number of ECM's and such as well?

Good luck with that.
      Last edited by Sporin; 03-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 1.8t
      03-08-2012 06:02 PM #22
      That is exactly what I'm suggesting. I work on these things for a living. It is horrifying seeing the nasty soot that is caked on the inside of the intake on these things.
      instagram: kobadash

Vehicles
      1966 Austin Mini
      03-08-2012 06:33 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Yugoslavia! View Post
      Thanks for that one!

I was completely sure even today's Duramax, Powerstrokes and Cummins had them considering every commercial and pickup engines over here have them.

Cummins use grid heaters.