Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 526

    Thread: Electronic Stability Control - How to turn off/disable?

    Hybrid View

    1. Member BlazinVR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2010
      Location
      Forest Lake, MN
      Posts
      867
      Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '01 A4 1.8T, 08 R32
      03-08-2012 04:30 PM #1
      So according to the manual that comes with the car, "ESC is switched on all the time." There are only instructions for turning off traction control.

      JLourieR32's comment pretty much sums up why ESP sucks:
      "Then there is the ESP. I don't even plan on bringing this car to the track until this is resolved. Last thing I need is the car thinking it needs to pull my throttle or apply the brakes because it thinks I'm 'out of control.' That is just an accident waiting to happen."

      **So has anyone figured out how to turn off stability control yet?** I'm kind of hoping APR (or any other tuner) would include some sort of flash with their tune that makes the 'ESP OFF' button also disable stability control (and not just traction control).








      these guys disabled ESP by pulling a fuse. the only problem is that it also disables ABS and a couple lights :

      http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...off-i-say.html
      Last edited by BlazinVR; 07-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.
      MK4 Forum:
      Quote Originally Posted by SaleenEatedUrVDubb View Post
      Hey guys I have a 2.0 but I can't really hear my Turbo. What BoV should I get?

    2. Member casperslost's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 21st, 2009
      Location
      Houston and East Texas
      Posts
      447
      Vehicles
      2012 R
      03-08-2012 04:34 PM #2
      I hear you can pull the fuse or unplug abs sensors.

    3. Member BlazinVR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2010
      Location
      Forest Lake, MN
      Posts
      867
      Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '01 A4 1.8T, 08 R32
      03-08-2012 04:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by casperslost View Post
      I hear you can pull the fuse or unplug abs sensors.
      you can pull the big green 30 amp fuse (fuse box in the engine compartment), but it also disables ABS and a couple other lights.
      MK4 Forum:
      Quote Originally Posted by SaleenEatedUrVDubb View Post
      Hey guys I have a 2.0 but I can't really hear my Turbo. What BoV should I get?

    4. Member .:R Driven's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2011
      Location
      DC-MD-VA
      Posts
      522
      Vehicles
      AE1323 GTI|.:R DRIVEN GOLF
      03-08-2012 05:09 PM #4
      Looks like a lot of fun. I'm hoping a tuner takes care of this...
      REVO|GOLF R N86710

    5. Global Moderator iThread's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2005
      Location
      Bay Area, California
      Posts
      19,364
      Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      03-08-2012 05:34 PM #5
      All you should have to do is unplug one ABS sensor, that will defeat the system without losing any lights. In fact you'll gain one! The ABS warning light. Until you plug the sensor back in.

    6. Member johannes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2004
      Location
      Plymouth, MI
      Posts
      1,004
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-08-2012 05:46 PM #6
      I would pay $ for this. I would also sign a liability waiver for the tuner....Come on APR or somebody-do this!

    7. Member Wlfsbrg2.0T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2009
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      578
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-08-2012 05:53 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by johannes View Post
      I would pay $ for this. I would also sign a liability waiver for the tuner....Come on APR or somebody-do this!
      As would I, and a waiver would certainly be required. Waaaaay too much liability if someone injures/kills themselves. Probably enough reason right there for no one to want to touch that area.
      Tornado Red 2012 Golf R Base 4-Door APR Stg 1 EVOMS Intake KW V3's BC Forged RS41 Wheels HPA Dog Bone Mount VWR SS Porsche/RB BBK H&R RSB

    8. Member johannes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2004
      Location
      Plymouth, MI
      Posts
      1,004
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-08-2012 06:28 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Wlfsbrg2.0T View Post
      As would I, and a waiver would certainly be required. Waaaaay too much liability if someone injures/kills themselves. Probably enough reason right there for no one to want to touch that area.
      The tuner would just have to label it "off road use only". Then maybe an additional personal liability waiver.

      Arin from APR??

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2006
      Posts
      1,843
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-08-2012 05:50 PM #9
      TechEd has expressed concern with pulling anything ABS and what codes you might be setting on other items on the CAN bus you cannot see or do anything about. Food for thought.

    10. Global Moderator iThread's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2005
      Location
      Bay Area, California
      Posts
      19,364
      Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      03-08-2012 06:10 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      TechEd has expressed concern with pulling anything ABS and what codes you might be setting on other items on the CAN bus you cannot see or do anything about. Food for thought.
      Hmmm, that's not good.

    11. Member homercles337's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2002
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      312
      Vehicles
      337, R
      03-23-2012 06:32 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      TechEd has expressed concern with pulling anything ABS and what codes you might be setting on other items on the CAN bus you cannot see or do anything about. Food for thought.
      ABS and ECS are one thing, but i really bought into what he had to say about ride height/quality. Now that i have driven the R for more than a month, the suspension is ****. Bump steer is outrageous. Dont listen to TechEd as the "end all, be all" of this car. Just my $0.02.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2004
      Location
      Wstchstr Cnty, NY
      Posts
      12,555
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      03-08-2012 06:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by BlazinVR View Post
      ...JLourieR32's comment pretty much sums up why ESP sucks:
      "Then there is the ESP. I don't even plan on bringing this car to the track until this is resolved...
      I can see where ESP could be big problem in AutoX, but I don't think its such a big deal on a road course. On my last outing at Lime Rock, I forgot to turn the ESP off in my MK IV R32, and it did not interfere at all. I never even knew it was on.

      I've had ESP really f*** with me on the street, cutting power at the MOST inopportune times, and braking wheels that I didn't want to brake, but it never even flashed once that day at the track.

      --Chuck--

    13. Member johannes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2004
      Location
      Plymouth, MI
      Posts
      1,004
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-08-2012 06:37 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by speedbump2 View Post
      I can see where ESP could be big problem in AutoX, but I don't think its such a big deal on a road course. On my last outing at Lime Rock, I forgot to turn the ESP off in my MK IV R32, and it did not interfere at all. I never even knew it was on.

      I've had ESP really f*** with me on the street, cutting power at the MOST inopportune times, and braking wheels that I didn't want to brake, but it never even flashed once that day at the track.

      --Chuck--
      My concern (somewhat via TechEd-yes I heard you, 'everyone's experience will vary') is I'd like to viciously hot-lap with R-compounds and very aggressive brake compounds if possible.....

      This is not a deal breaker for me...if this is not an option, I'll just use different compounds

    14. Forum Sponsor Arin@APR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2008
      Location
      Auburn, Al
      Posts
      15,892
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      03-08-2012 06:43 PM #14
      Have people confirmed (by actually trying) to see if ESP is enabled even when you disable it on a Golf R (not some other model).
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

    15. Member BlazinVR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2010
      Location
      Forest Lake, MN
      Posts
      867
      Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '01 A4 1.8T, 08 R32
      03-08-2012 06:55 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      Have people confirmed (by actually trying) to see if ESP is enabled even when you disable it on a Golf R (not some other model).
      even MotorTrend wasn't able to disable it. skip to 5:10 in this clip, and you'll see the guy opening up the manual to try and disable it.

      MK4 Forum:
      Quote Originally Posted by SaleenEatedUrVDubb View Post
      Hey guys I have a 2.0 but I can't really hear my Turbo. What BoV should I get?

    16. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      03-08-2012 07:12 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      Have people confirmed (by actually trying) to see if ESP is enabled even when you disable it on a Golf R (not some other model).
      When it rains on the weekend around here is when I like to push the car because the roads are clear and there are some spots where I can get all four loose.

      Always cuts in.
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    17. Forum Sponsor Arin@APR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2008
      Location
      Auburn, Al
      Posts
      15,892
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      03-08-2012 07:22 PM #17
      Ok so I guess they just disable ASR.

      I'll see what can be done. No promises.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

    18. 06-25-2012 09:32 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      Have people confirmed (by actually trying) to see if ESP is enabled even when you disable it on a Golf R (not some other model).
      If this get resolve by ARP, it will be good revenue

    19. Member droopy1592's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2002
      Location
      Atlanta/Raleigh
      Posts
      2,538
      Vehicles
      2003 330i, 2004 A4, 2006 GTi, 2008 R32, 2012 RB Golf R, 2013 S4
      06-26-2012 06:53 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by speedywinds View Post
      If this get resolve by ARP, it will be good revenue
      Unfortunately it was just a big tease
      In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun living with it every day. - Jeremy Clarkson

    20. Member climbingcue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Morristown NJ
      Posts
      9,697
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      03-09-2012 07:40 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by speedbump2 View Post
      I can see where ESP could be big problem in AutoX, but I don't think its such a big deal on a road course. On my last outing at Lime Rock, I forgot to turn the ESP off in my MK IV R32, and it did not interfere at all. I never even knew it was on.

      I've had ESP really f*** with me on the street, cutting power at the MOST inopportune times, and braking wheels that I didn't want to brake, but it never even flashed once that day at the track.

      --Chuck--
      The MKIV R32 on the track with ESP on is not even worth tracking the car, it cuts in so fast. This is going to be different depending on the skill level of the driver. A green group driver is just trying to get around the track, they are not pushing the car at all.

      Bill
      United Motorsport 12.58@106 mph on 93 Octane
      Skela official test driver
      Texas Mile October 2010 171.6 mph

    21. Junior Member Pdyno's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2012
      Location
      Portland
      Posts
      79
      Vehicles
      1980 MK1 Scirocco S 1984 Rabbit TDI 2008 R32 2012 Golf R 1969 Triumph GT6+
      03-08-2012 08:06 PM #21
      I live in Maine and we had a pretty good snowstorm a week ago. I took the R out for a spin in an empty parking lot. With it disabled, I could not get the car sideways more than 3 or 4 seconds before it was straightened out by ESP. By the end of my experiment you could smell the brakes. For track purposes I could see the advantages of such a system. But for all out boyish donuts around a parked car or light pole, it's just not possible to drift anymore.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2006
      Posts
      1,843
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-09-2012 12:01 AM #22
      What's funny is other markets can disable ESC on their Rs and other US Audi and VWs can do the same. What makes the US R the grey duck?

      I wouldn't want a full time disable but I'd love have the switch turn all of it off when I push it.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2008
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,290
      Vehicles
      1995 M3, 2012 GLI
      03-09-2012 12:31 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      What's funny is other markets can disable ESC on their Rs and other US Audi and VWs can do the same. What makes the US R the grey duck?

      I wouldn't want a full time disable but I'd love have the switch turn all of it off when I push it.
      This is the first I've heard of this. I was under the distinct impression that all GTIs and Rs, regardless of market, had non-defeatable ESP. Can you cite a source? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'd just be very, very interested.
      DD: 2012 GLI with a friggin' plaid roof.
      Gone but not forgotten: 2010 Golf 2.5
      Summer fun: 1995 M3
      Former E36 318i driver and self-appointed Chairman of the Momentum Preservation Society.

    24. Member VWPDX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      1,485
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      03-09-2012 12:49 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      This is the first I've heard of this. I was under the distinct impression that all GTIs and Rs, regardless of market, had non-defeatable ESP. Can you cite a source? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'd just be very, very interested.
      The reviews I read of the European spec Golf R all reported the stability control remaining on. A review of the GTI 35th edition did report that it was totally defeatable on that car but not the Euro spec GTI.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2008
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,290
      Vehicles
      1995 M3, 2012 GLI
      03-09-2012 01:01 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPDX View Post
      The reviews I read of the European spec Golf R all reported the stability control remaining on. A review of the GTI 35th edition did report that it was totally defeatable on that car but not the Euro spec GTI.
      And I'd put money on that particular review being mistaken about the 35th Edition GTI. It just doesn't make any sense. Seems to me, the more likely explanation is that the reviewer merely turned off the traction control and assumed that all systems were disabled, as in any BMW.
      DD: 2012 GLI with a friggin' plaid roof.
      Gone but not forgotten: 2010 Golf 2.5
      Summer fun: 1995 M3
      Former E36 318i driver and self-appointed Chairman of the Momentum Preservation Society.

    26. Member BRSomm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2011
      Location
      Ontario, eh
      Posts
      757
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-09-2012 10:25 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      What's funny is other markets can disable ESC on their Rs and other US Audi and VWs can do the same. What makes the US R the grey duck?

      I wouldn't want a full time disable but I'd love have the switch turn all of it off when I push it.
      Lawsuits? A guy sued Ford because his daughter bought a used Escort with no airbags and then died in a collision. Said they shouldn't have offered the car without airbags.

      You think that if you're in a collision due to ESC being turned off that the other driver won't sue both you for doing it and VW for making it available?

    27. Member BlazinVR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2010
      Location
      Forest Lake, MN
      Posts
      867
      Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6, '01 A4 1.8T, 08 R32
      03-09-2012 10:34 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I don't know what you mean. Selective braking of particular wheels has been a staple of ESP since its inception - when the car senses you can no longer hold the line you are attempting with your steering input. That doesn't slow you down (much) - it just corrects your line. The throttle reduction under severe problems is what slows you down to give you a chance not to hit the brick wall.

      At any rate, under even quite aggressive driving ESC doesn't really come on in my car - and I doubt the ESC tuning of the R is harsher. The only time it comes on is on sand/gravel or in heavy rain when I make mistakes - and I sure don't mind it, then. It still even allows you some minor hooliganism on slick surfaces. Completely overblown topic - unless doing extended drifts in snow is the prime reason you buy/bought this car.
      my MK4 GTI never had any braking when ESP kicked in. i could go through a very long & tight turn and have the back end of the car twitching (tires squealing through the whole turn), and the most i would get is fuel cut off with no computer controlled braking.

      Quote Originally Posted by BRSomm View Post
      Lawsuits? A guy sued Ford because his daughter bought a used Escort with no airbags and then died in a collision. Said they shouldn't have offered the car without airbags.

      You think that if you're in a collision due to ESC being turned off that the other driver won't sue both you for doing it and VW for making it available?
      people will sue anybody over anything these days. that doesn't mean they're going to win. have you ever heard of someone suing VW over ESP being turned off on a MK4? (and win? i doubt it)
      Last edited by BlazinVR; 03-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.
      MK4 Forum:
      Quote Originally Posted by SaleenEatedUrVDubb View Post
      Hey guys I have a 2.0 but I can't really hear my Turbo. What BoV should I get?

    28. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      11,563
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      03-09-2012 11:15 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by BlazinVR View Post
      my MK4 GTI never had any braking when ESP kicked in.
      the 01 GTI listed in your profile did not have ESP

      just EDL/ASR

      ESP was not offered until 2003
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

    29. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2012
      Location
      Minneapolis,mn
      Posts
      442
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      07-17-2012 07:00 AM #29
      So I turned off the ESC last night and went out and tried to get the light to flash, threw out the back end out under hard power on a couple of corners for a couple of nice power slides( wheels spinning) the light never flashed and the car was fun. I do have a stage 2+ flash , I don't know if that makes a difference. ABS was working as I checked .
      Seems like the car is good enough for me as is with the traction control off. I do time attack with a subaru and race my 911 on the track as well so I do sorta know how to drive.

    30. Forum Sponsor Arin@APR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2008
      Location
      Auburn, Al
      Posts
      15,892
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      02-04-2014 06:40 PM #30
      TechED,

      What's your opinion on this?

      Quote Originally Posted by VWVortex

      Also of note, there will be an ESP Sport mode on the GTI which allows the Electronic Stability Program to allow a certain amount of slip angle and fun before intervening. This is identical to the German-spec GTI. In my experiences in that car, it is damn near perfect and allows quite a bit of fun without intervening (see this video). Only the Golf R will have the full ESP Race Mode where it can be completely defeated.
      Link: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...olf-7-preview/
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

    31. 02-26-2014 12:30 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      TechED,

      What's your opinion on this?



      Link: http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswa...olf-7-preview/

      Now they just need to offer a recode to offer a ESP sport mode for the MK6

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2006
      Posts
      1,843
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      03-10-2012 10:13 AM #32
      While I respect you opinion TechEd I do think you are missing the point, which isn't to say there is no value to ESC. Clearly there is and I think it's a fantastic idea. However, I bought an "R", a car that's supposed to be an enthusiasts car. A car that is supposed to represent the pinnacle of VW performance. Why, when others around the world get two stage systems, would you ship the R with a single stage to the US? We are given the choice to defeat ESC with other brands in the US and with VW abroad. What gives?

      The protecting us from ourselves argument is silly to me. The government already has more control than they should IMO. The last thing I need them telling me to do is not oversteer on a closed course.

      Others, this could be a productive thread so let's keep it civil. Attack the issue not the person.

    33. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2004
      Location
      Upstate, NY
      Posts
      107
      Vehicles
      TR Golf R 4dr base REDiculous !
      03-10-2012 10:22 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      While I respect you opinion TechEd I do think you are missing the point, which isn't to say there is no value to ESC. Clearly there is and I think it's a fantastic idea. However, I bought an "R", a car that's supposed to be an enthusiasts car. A car that is supposed to represent the pinnacle of VW performance. Why, when others around the world get two stage systems, would you ship the R with a single stage to the US? We are given the choice to defeat ESC with other brands in the US and with VW abroad. What gives?

      The protecting us from ourselves argument is silly to me. The government already has more control than they should IMO. The last thing I need them telling me to do is not oversteer on a closed course.

      Others, this could be a productive thread so let's keep it civil. Attack the issue not the person.
      ^ This...

      Otherwise, lets just have Cal Tech students bury a wire in the racetrack and have the computers of the car follow the signal safely varying and restricting our inputs for us. After all, THEY know what's best...

    34. Member VWPDX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      1,485
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      03-10-2012 02:37 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by DudeLePowSki View Post
      Why would APR have to look into providing a fully disablable option if in fact the Euro versions have it already? Wouldn't it be more efficient to simply flash a Euro program for the ESP? This leads me to believe that the Euro version and the US version are exactly the same and that somewhere along the way the word 'disable' got lost intranslation.

      Also, in this video I am guessing that in the first half the guy is driving with the ESP engaged and in the second half he has it disabled. If this is the case, it looks to me like driving with the ESP engaged is more fun for a driver with my skill set.

      The Euro versions actually don't have it. As demonstrated by the Cupra vs. R video, stability control gives drivers the illusion they are going horribly slow. I would love to see you guys post track times with and without the abs fuse pulled. The R badge comments are as ridiculous as Xalfa. Again, I contend performance is probably not significantly decreased. Look at the VW/Audi/Volvo R line. Are they really that extreme? Its a model not a spec. As a whole reviewers and tcl types don't understand the appeal. "I don't get it. Its slower than a STI." "I know the interior is nice, but I can get an A3 for that price."

      Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

    35. 03-10-2012 02:46 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPDX View Post
      The Euro versions actually don't have it. As demonstrated by the Cupra vs. R video, stability control gives drivers the illusion they are going horribly slow. I would love to see you guys post track times with and without the abs fuse pulled. The R badge comments are as ridiculous as Xalfa. Again, I contend performance is probably not significantly decreased. Look at the VW/Audi/Volvo R line. Are they really that extreme? Its a model not a spec. As a whole reviewers and tcl types don't understand the appeal. "I don't get it. Its slower than a STI." "I know the interior is nice, but I can get an A3 for that price."

      Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
      Fantastic point. Finally we can put to rest the difference in ESP between Euro and US versions.

      Also, the above European test driver is ripping it up with the same ESP options as the US version. If in fact snow tires (= traction in snow) do make the ESP operate to it's fullest in snowy conditions, I'd tend to side with TechEd in the fact that proper tires for performance oriented driving (on a dry track) do contribute to high performing, fun track runs with ESP engaged.

      STOKED.
      Last edited by DudeLePowSki; 03-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.

    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •