Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: 01 Audi TT225 compound turbo setup

1. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-20-2012 05:15 PM #211
      After talking with Rob, he seems to think the TS setup on such a small frame turbo, wouldn't do very much in the way of spool. He said the GTX3071R would give me just as good spool by itself and paying $1400 for a tubular TS manifold would just be a waste of money. He also suggested a PTE 5558 CEA DBB turbo instead of the GTX. Says it gives better spool at a lower cost. Not sure about Precision though as far as reliability goes. Not to mention all the Precision/Garret crap going on right now, precision is just making themselves look stupid

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-28-2012 02:46 PM #212
      So, more good news. Afte Integrated Engineering got my motor taken apart they found that the last machine shop left all kinds of crap in my motor. As soon as they got the head off, there was a bunch of dirt, hair and metal shavings that they said looked like welding slag, sitting ontop of the pistons. The piston ring lands had dirt and grim in them so when you turned the rings it feels gritty. Also when they painted the block, they got paint in the oil filter galleys, coolant flange ports, and on the bottom of the block where the oil pan is suppose to mate to it. When they pulled my oil pan bolt, it was cross threaded and there was more metal shavings. When they installed my ARP crack damper bolt, they didn't use loctite and it wasn't torqued to spec. Thats all they found so far but I'm sure I will be adding to the list the farther they get into it. Guess I'll be calling Jensen's auto machine shop this week looking for my money back. Modding cars is so much fun

Vehicles
      2000 180q TT
      08-28-2012 04:12 PM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by Dowski12 View Post
      So, more good news. Afte Integrated Engineering got my motor taken apart they found that the last machine shop left all kinds of crap in my motor. As soon as they got the head off, there was a bunch of dirt, hair and metal shavings that they said looked like welding slag, sitting ontop of the pistons. The piston ring lands had dirt and grim in them so when you turned the rings it feels gritty. Also when they painted the block, they got paint in the oil filter galleys, coolant flange ports, and on the bottom of the block where the oil pan is suppose to mate to it. When they pulled my oil pan bolt, it was cross threaded and there was more metal shavings. When they installed my ARP crack damper bolt, they didn't use loctite and it wasn't torqued to spec. Thats all they found so far but I'm sure I will be adding to the list the farther they get into it. Guess I'll be calling Jensen's auto machine shop this week looking for my money back. Modding cars is so much fun
      Quote Originally Posted by DCMS371 View Post
      You do realize women are biologically programmed to ruin men's lives by making them get rid of anything that they might enjoy more than spending time with the woman right?
      Quote Originally Posted by SchmidTT View Post
      Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      08-28-2012 04:46 PM #214
      In light of this, and whatever else comes to the surface, it's a good thing you had to switch shops to finish your engine build. Better to find out now than when it's all buttoned up and you're terrorizing the track!
      KO3 @ 30psi...

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-28-2012 04:51 PM #215
      Yeah, for sure. At least the motor is in the right hands now.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      08-28-2012 05:00 PM #216
      If you are that worried about spool, you could go 2.1l since you dont have the ALH block for 2.2l. That combined with a good awic setup with 2.5" hot side and 3" cold side piping to reduce lag as much as possible. I think I have a total of 2.5-3 ft of piping doing this. Stay away from the tubular manifolds and just go a nice cast PPT or similar to control heat and keep the velocity of the exhaust gases up. I haven't been able to drive enough for a good review on the 5857BB but from the little I got to drive it so far, the spool is definitely bearable and I'm not stroked (yet ) if you stroke it and stay with a 3076 to 5858 sized turbo i think you'll be happy with spool and power. Also, get a vband housing if you can. I really wish I would've

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-28-2012 06:34 PM #217
      We are doing a Billet 5858 DBB on a vbanded housing, .64 A/R, 2.5-3" IC piping, and tubular mani. I'm already goin to be stroked so even with a tube mani I should still get pretty decent spool. I'm pretty sure later on down the road I will re-visit the compound setup using my 5858 and something smaller that will match up good, but for now a single setup is more in my budget after wasting so much money on crappy mechanics.

Rob also offered to paint my car...well kinda. We are going to do a little plasti dippin just for fun. I'm thinking either doing gunmetal with black accents, or the new matte blue with black accents. At the moment I'm leaning more towards the blue simply because the gunmetal looks too much like primer. The blue is really bright and will definitley turn heads. Rob has plasti dipped cars before so I assume it will turn out pretty decent, but if not it can always come off.

Vehicles
      audi tt gt3076r 01 aston martin db7 04 land rover disco 99rolls royce seraph
      08-29-2012 08:39 AM #218
      I hope you took pics of the mess with the motor that way you have proof just in case
      They say they didn't do that
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-done-I-guess
      ^^^Big Turbo build lots of pics^^^
      Best shop for repair and custom workin ma
      http://www.wentworthmotorsports.com/

Vehicles
      00' TT225 & 03' GTI 24v
      08-29-2012 08:59 AM #219
      plasti dippin just for fun. I'm thinking either doing gunmetal with black accents, or the new matte blue with black accents. At the moment I'm leaning more towards the blue simply because the gunmetal looks too much like primer. The blue is really bright and will definitley turn heads. Rob has plasti dipped cars before so I assume it will turn out pretty decent, but if not it can always come off.

Do not do this. Trust me. I've done it and regret it.

It gets everywhere & it sucks to wash and collects dirt. It also isn't that easy to get off and good luck getting it out of the seals.
      Last edited by Doooglasss; 08-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.
      -Doug

08-29-2012 12:10 PM #220
      good choice on the turbo! to answer you earlier question, yes i'm bored and stroked to 2.0l with a journal bearing billet 5858 .63 AR hot side. It is an awesome set up. From what i read, you don't really gain too much on the spool up with the triplex BB 5858, but the response and respool between shifts is much better. With the 2.0l it still feels like it has more torque down low than my chipped tt 225. You are flowing much more air even though you aren't at the same PSI levels.

The compound set up would be cool, but i think a single turbo set up is more reliable and predictable. If you run into issues i think more people will be able to help you out.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-29-2012 03:24 PM #221
      Quote Originally Posted by 01ttgt28 View Post
      I hope you took pics of the mess with the motor that way you have proof just in case
      They say they didn't do that
      Yeah, IE took a bunch of pics for me and sent them to my phone and I asked them to take as many as possible so I have something to back me up.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-29-2012 03:31 PM #222
      Quote Originally Posted by DougLoBue View Post

Do not do this. Trust me. I've done it and regret it.

It gets everywhere & it sucks to wash and collects dirt. It also isn't that easy to get off and good luck getting it out of the seals.
      Yeah, I remember how much trouble it gave you but the only difference is I have someone else to take care of all that head ache. Im only planning on leaving it on for like 6 to 8 months while I wait to respray my car. At that point I'm gonna sand blast the whole car anyway so I wont have to worry about peeling tiny pieces off at a time. Im gonna do all the prep work myself to save a little money on the respray.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-31-2012 02:06 PM #223
      Dont know if anyone cares, but this is the look I'm going for on the car once the build is done. Took me like 7 hours using paint on the computer to finish this...dont judge me

Last edited by Dowski12; 08-31-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Vehicles
      2000 audi tt 180q
      08-31-2012 03:12 PM #224
      I like it

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2
      infinity front and sides,votex rear,st coilovers,eurodyne tapp 1000cc tuned,hks ssq bov, pte 5857 pagparts turbo kit with 38mm tial wastegate. spec stage 3, custom intake, bbm fuel rail, billy boat 3in exhaust,ecs bleeder block,mbc,fmic,bfi mounts,cm flywheel,front mount interccoler, aeb head cat 3652 cams, scat rods je pistons super tech valves and springs.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      08-31-2012 07:08 PM #225
      Thanks

By the way, anyone looking for an intercooler, I'm selling my brand new Treadstone TR1035, w/completed cold side SS pipe, and I have extra SS pipe to complete the hot side. I'm going AWIC and need to sell it asap to help pay for the fab work. If anyone is interested let me know, I'll let it go for $250 plus shipping.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      09-11-2012 05:49 AM #226
      Before

After

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi 225 TTQ
      10-04-2012 01:41 PM #227
      Any updates?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      10-13-2012 04:28 AM #228
      Not really much to talk about as of yet. The motor is back from Integrated Engineering and is in the car. Currently I'm just getting the funds together to complete everything.

On a side note, I haven't been able to get ahold of JC to get the money he owes me. After talking to a lawyer about the whole situation, I'm thinking the $2400 we agreed on isn't gonna cut it at this point. If I'm going the legal route, might as well go for the full amount plus damages, since JC has decided to give me the run around. I'm pretty sure that A$$hole changed shops too. I've been by his shop about 15 times to try and collect. Every time its closed up and all the cars he used to have sitting out side are gone. Go figure

Vehicles
      10-13-2012 08:00 AM #229
      Not really much to talk about as of yet. The motor is back from Integrated Engineering and is in the car. Currently I'm just getting the funds together to complete everything.

On a side note, I haven't been able to get ahold of JC to get the money he owes me. After talking to a lawyer about the whole situation, I'm thinking the $2400 we agreed on isn't gonna cut it at this point. If I'm going the legal route, might as well go for the full amount plus damages, since JC has decided to give me the run around. I'm pretty sure that A$$hole changed shops too. I've been by his shop about 15 times to try and collect. Every time its closed up and all the cars he used to have sitting out side are gone. Go figure
      Dame u think he would close up shop over $2000 that's crazy maybe he has some other problem
      Going on ????

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      10-14-2012 01:57 AM #230
      I dont think he changed shops just because of the money. He had already found a new shop, but to my knowledge, he wasn't moving for a couple of months. I think it was just a perfect opportunity to move earlier, and avoid paying me at the same time.
      Last edited by Dowski12; 03-23-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Vehicles
      10-14-2012 07:31 AM #231
      Dame that sucks looks like u took th shaft!!!!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      10-18-2012 09:34 PM #232
      Yeah, with no lube...

I'm waiting on a quote for the rest of my build. Once I know how much the rest of this is going to cost me, the updates should come a little quicker.

Vehicles
      05' VW GLI
      10-19-2012 10:30 AM #233
      Your perseverance is noteworthy for sure

Looking forward to the final results
      KO3 @ 30psi...

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      10-30-2012 03:24 AM #234
      Well, got all the fund together and paid the man...parts are on the way. Waiting on my Precision 5858, a BBM oil cooler, and an AWIC set up to get here. The motor is being picked up for my custom tubular v band manifold tomorrow, so hopefully should have some pics in a week or so

I'm so glad I get to spend money again, I was going through withdraws

Vehicles
      10-30-2012 08:48 AM #235
      [QUOTE=I'm so glad I get to spend money again, I was going through withdraws[/QUOTE]

Lol!!

26. 10-30-2012 08:59 AM #236
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      11-17-2012 04:22 AM #237
      Finally some progress!!!

Custom made exhaust mani in the works
      Last edited by Dowski12; 02-13-2013 at 09:51 PM.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      11-21-2012 02:45 AM #238
      Turbo came in today.

Vehicles
      11-22-2012 11:42 AM #239
      Two turbos ???

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT Quattro LMNS Edition , 2004 R32 4motion DSG
      11-22-2012 02:25 PM #240
      Quote Originally Posted by 01ttgt28 View Post
      Two turbos ???
      Same size??
      Reading>posting .

31. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      11-22-2012 06:32 PM #241
      haha...only one is mine, the other is going on an STI
      Last edited by Dowski12; 12-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      12-04-2012 02:22 PM #242
      BBM oil cooler, pretty impressed with the quality

Vehicles
      12-04-2012 09:59 PM #243
      Are u ditching the factory oil cooler???

34. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Audi tt225
      12-05-2012 12:11 AM #244
      Yes, the kit comes with a thermostatic sandwhich plate so there really is no reason to keep it.
      Last edited by Dowski12; 12-05-2012 at 12:23 AM.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Audi TT
      01-10-2013 07:12 PM #245
      Any updates?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast