Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beast from the East "lives on" thread

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      03-18-2012 02:15 PM #26
      That's the right way. Back side mounting tabs are much wider then fronts and they all line up with the holes. I would love a set
      Guru Motorsports / europeein

Vehicles
      03-18-2012 04:23 PM #27
      Need help from someone from Germany. Guy with the Abt wheels will not ship. I am willing to pay for your time

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      03-18-2012 05:50 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by HavokRuels View Post
      Need help from someone from Germany. Guy with the Abt wheels will not ship. I am willing to pay for your time
      Talk to Will aka "Dubzak", he recently bought a set of wheels from Germany and he has connections/family there. Or else, pm "Torsten" here
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      03-18-2012 06:44 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by RedYellowWhite View Post
      Talk to Will aka "Dubzak", he recently bought a set of wheels from Germany and he has connections/family there. Or else, pm "Torsten" here
      Yeah I will have to try Will, Torsten said he couldn't help me.

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO, B6 ULTRASPORT MT6
      03-19-2012 09:19 AM #30
      My "Connections" are unable to help you at this moment. Probably because I am more than enough of a "pain in the ass" as it is.

Keep messaging the seller that you will pay for them to ship it to the US. Offer them extra to do so. Might work.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 04:49 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBZAK View Post
      My "Connections" are unable to help you at this moment. Probably because I am more than enough of a "pain in the ass" as it is.

Keep messaging the seller that you will pay for them to ship it to the US. Offer them extra to do so. Might work.
      oh I'm gonna bug the **** out of him Me needs those wheels!

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      03-19-2012 04:57 PM #32
      ... I would love a set
      I've got a set but the tabs are broken
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 06:47 PM #33
      I've got a set but the tabs are broken
      No worries bro. 1stvdub has it for 7.00

Thanks anyways!

Update: I've officially purchased just about everything that's missing or broken with interior and exterior. Parts are trickling in today's arrival!

All I have left are sunroof motor cover which I'm going to have to settle for a new one in beige and re-spray it, windshield, dash vents, cluster screw covers and radio bezel. Buying all of this stuff new.
      Last edited by HavokRuels; 03-19-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 03:57 AM #34
      No worries bro. 1stvdub has it for 7.00

Thanks anyways!

Update: I've officially purchased just about everything that's missing or broken with interior and exterior. Parts are trickling in today's arrival!

All I have left are sunroof motor cover which I'm going to have to settle for a new one in beige and re-spray it, windshield, dash vents, cluster screw covers and radio bezel. Buying all of this stuff new.
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 06:49 PM #35
      Ok now that the car will be 100% cosmetically soon, it's time to talk engine.

Regardless of anything I do, I am going 3.1l based on the cars history. I am not pulling my engine and rebuilding it but rather building another one.

Let's discuss the 3.1l topic. I probably will never get an ABT crankshaft so I was thinking 2.9l ABV crankshaft in an AAA block. Any other options? If this is the best way to go, what is needed to get to 3.1? Are we talking just choice of pistons?

I've done a soft search but am open to discussion.

Vehicles
      03-21-2012 06:03 PM #36
      More goods arrived today

Shifter refresh kit, other missing parts on the car and I was lucky to get a brand new vr grille! Zeb said he was able to get 5 from vw classic and I was lucky enough to get one!

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      03-21-2012 09:50 PM #37
      looking awesome Mike, your doing all the things I wanted to do.

Personally I'd stay away from 3.1 on the 12v. It leaves the cly walls awfully thin. The cost of doing it isn't going to give you much gain performance wise, just taking a risk with reliability. If you go that route, do a 3.4l r32 motor and put some time/$ into the head. You can prob hit 300's fairly easy. Its a simple/straightforward swap..not like going 3.6 w/ fsi etc. Bang for buck, the 12v just don't cut it n/a, no way around it. Its your car and build so ultimately its your call... but id love to see an n/a motor that actually produces in that thing. Worked R motor with close ratio gearbox + lugtronic will be ****in boss. Keep at it brother!

Vehicles
      03-21-2012 10:07 PM #38
      Thanks bro this has been so much fun so far. What's the safest bore for a 2.8l setup?

Holset hx40 pro on the horizon

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      03-22-2012 08:19 AM #39
      Ok I'm onboard. I like what I see!
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 11:59 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      looking awesome Mike, your doing all the things I wanted to do.

Personally I'd stay away from 3.1 on the 12v. It leaves the cly walls awfully thin. The cost of doing it isn't going to give you much gain performance wise, just taking a risk with reliability. If you go that route, do a 3.4l r32 motor and put some time/$ into the head. You can prob hit 300's fairly easy. Its a simple/straightforward swap..not like going 3.6 w/ fsi etc. Bang for buck, the 12v just don't cut it n/a, no way around it. Its your car and build so ultimately its your call... but id love to see an n/a motor that actually produces in that thing. Worked R motor with close ratio gearbox + lugtronic will be ****in boss. Keep at it brother!
      The 3.1 Uses the same pistons as a 2.9 (82MM). Stock 2.8 Bore is 81MM. The added displacement is from the Crank.
      Using an .:R32 Crank would net the same .2 Liter Displacement increase netting a 3.1L (with 2.9L Pistons)

Building a 3.4L 24V will max out the walls as far as tolerances. (If using a 3.2L)

Now getting a Euro 3.2 (10.6 Degree VR) That can be bored to 3.6 Safely. Trying to get one of those motors is a BEOTCH.

Thanks bro this has been so much fun so far. What's the safest bore for a 2.8l setup?

Holset hx40 pro on the horizon
      Turbo Choice
      Stock is the only safe 2.8L Bore. lol
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 04:13 PM #41
      The 3.1 Uses the same pistons as a 2.9 (82MM). Stock 2.8 Bore is 81MM. The added displacement is from the Crank.
      Using an .:R32 Crank would net the same .2 Liter Displacement increase netting a 3.1L (with 2.9L Pistons)

Building a 3.4L 24V will max out the walls as far as tolerances. (If using a 3.2L)

Now getting a Euro 3.2 (10.6 Degree VR) That can be bored to 3.6 Safely. Trying to get one of those motors is a BEOTCH.

Turbo Choice
      Stock is the only safe 2.8L Bore. lol
      Ok r32 crankshaft is doable along with 2.9l aftermarket pistons block bored to 82mm but what are we talking for connecting rods? Thought the 2.8l pistons stuck out more than 5mm with an r32 crankshaft so wouldn't the 2.9l pistons do the same?

oh and the old lady just gave me the greenlight for coilovers

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 04:23 PM #42
      .:R32 Rods are the same length as 12V. So the Wrist Pin on the piston must be moved back to compensate for the srtoke and a shorter overall piston. Someone at JE is most likely to have that piston design done prior to you, or check with other manufacturers.

Vehicles
      03-22-2012 07:25 PM #43
      .:R32 Rods are the same length as 12V. So the Wrist Pin on the piston must be moved back to compensate for the srtoke and a shorter overall piston. Someone at JE is most likely to have that piston design done prior to you, or check with other manufacturers.
      Yeah I saw something about JE when I searched. Overall it seems easily doable. Gonna hit up JE and pick their brain on that. Just have to figure out what rods to go with since they are the same. Anyone here have a brand preference based on performance not worried about price.

On a side note, b pillars, drivers a pillar and all the rest of the trim pieces for the interior came in.

So now I am eagerly awaiting my gauge faces from James and I can finish the interior 100%

Exterior is 100%

Engine bay plans: aluminum crack pipe, my 2.9 manifold and throttle body, new intake, spoonfed rain tray cover and stainless fuel lines.

Coil overs were ordered and saving up for new tires

Does anywhere know where I can buy a new or Mint AAA block to start the motor build?
      Last edited by HavokRuels; 03-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Vehicles
      03-23-2012 06:53 PM #44
      Some euro goodies arrived today, 2.9l throttle body and a vr6 grille badge from Britain

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 01:31 PM #45
      Installed new intake, new battery and brand new grille and vr6 grille badge.

Fired her up and cruised about the town for an hour. Got very lucky as I spotted a big fuel leak when I opened the hood!!

Next up, install new fuel lines, rebuild shifter, replace b pillars and install coilovers and tires. Hoping to get it ready for dubs on defrost.

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 04:05 PM #46

Pulled apart the center console and some of the dash. Not as bad as I thought but the shifter needs a major overhaul. Dash wiring is almost unmolested but the center bezel and cluster surround have to go.

The heater controls don't work properly and might as well leave it all apart for when the spoonfed gauge faces come in.

Ordering a new center bezel, heater/ac controls, gauge surround, screw covers, heat vents and what ever it takes to get this back to 100%

I would have held off on coilovers had I known the rats nest waiting behind such clean looking dash and shift boot lol

Pics for kicks

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 04:27 PM #47
      Nice work

I would keep it N/A IF it were mine...
      Are you keeping that hood scoop?

Since you're getting SpoonFed gauge faces, those DDI gauges might sell easily in the classifieds
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 05:42 PM #48
      Nice work

I would keep it N/A IF it were mine...
      Are you keeping that hood scoop?

Since you're getting SpoonFed gauge faces, those DDI gauges might sell easily in the classifieds
      Thank you sir!

Keeping n/a at least for the next year. I'm super excited about the spoonfed gauges. Did you order a set?

Just finished my shifter refresh, and come to find out there was a retaining clip and 1 bolt missing! Now no more sloppiness

Found new issues of course, missing some lighting in the dash Mike wasn't kidding when he said the PO before him hacked the **** out of this poor car.

???? The missing bulbs below

Gonna post it in the ask the experts thread

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 05:59 PM #49
      Thank you sir!
      You're welcome

Keeping n/a at least for the next year.
      all motor n/a or even what mike suggested for 3.2 would be awesome

I'm super excited about the spoonfed gauges. Did you order a set?
      Actually its one of the only things I don't have from SpoonFed. Mine is an early-spec Corrado but I will be upgrading to late-spec cluster eventually...

Just finished my shifter refresh, and come to find out there was a retaining clip and 1 bolt missing! Now no more sloppiness

Found new issues of course, missing some lighting in the dash Mike wasn't kidding when he said the PO before him hacked the **** out of this poor car.

???? The missing bulbs below

Gonna post it in the ask the experts thread
      Oh man
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

25. 03-25-2012 09:44 AM #50
      abt crank for sale...restore the beast proper

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-with-ABT-Cams
      "You can take my Corrado when you pry it from my Cold Dead Hands".
      http://corradodatabase.com/index.php...orrado&id=4617

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast