Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Just bought, need to change it up.

1. 03-09-2012 12:39 AM #1
      Hello, I am new to this forum becuase I just bought a
      2001 Volkswagen Passat GLX 4motion Sedan

Thats what it looks like.
      I absolutely love the interior

But the exterior really is not that exciting. I was wondering what you all would think I should change first.

The headlights are kind of foggy and they are not my favorite, I was thinking of getting these. headlights.

I kind of like the black on grey look, and then I was thinking of getting black rims. But not sure yet. Any input would be nice.

Vehicles
      B5 5MT UNITRONIC TUNED, B7 6MT STAGE 1.5 TDI
      03-09-2012 12:58 AM #2
      Welcome! Those lights are very ugly (no offence), I say oem looks better or the audi one with the led strip. Timing belt change? Good on maintenance?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      03-09-2012 07:03 AM #3
      Welcome to the B5 family. I have to concur on the headlights; OEM is generally the most attractive and highest quality. If your current ones are fogged, you can get years more life out of them with a $20 3M polishing kit. Used carefully, it'll make them look like new.

The 90's vintage "black wheel" look is semi-acceptable on a much smaller car like the GTI, but not on a larger car like the Passat. Looks like the car is floating in air, and really throws off the lines. But don't listen to us, it's your car.

What ISN'T a mater of taste is that you shouldn't even THINK of appearance mods for while, until you're absolutely sure all the maintenance is up to date and everything is working properly. These cars are maintenance hogs, and if you fail to do everything exactly according to schedule (and then some) they'll turn around and bite you - right in the wallet.

For starters, make sure the timing belt is current (within the last 80,000 miles) and that the brake fluid has been changed in the last two years. Service the PCV system, check carefully for the smallest oil leak, check maniacally for any sign of water leakage into the cabin. Then on to spark plugs within 50,000 miles, air filter within two years, and ATF change within 60,000 miles.

Check the front control arms for any play or wear and keep a careful eye for catalytic converter-induced check engine lights. IF all that is done, the car has been running OK for a couple of months without a CEL, and you've set aside $500-$1000 for "surprises" - THEN you can think about appearance mods.

4. 03-09-2012 03:23 PM #4
      I am not sure about the timing belt, I would assume that is was done considering it has 106,400 miles on it
      The previous owner did not give the the car dealership any thing about the car so all I have is the carfax here

It says Drive belts replaced and I know its different but could they have just placed the timing belts in that category?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      03-09-2012 06:58 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ore0o View Post
      I am not sure about the timing belt, I would assume that is was done considering it has 106,400 miles on it
      The previous owner did not give the the car dealership any thing about the car so all I have is the carfax here

It says Drive belts replaced and I know its different but could they have just placed the timing belts in that category?
      Unless you have a receipt in hand showing a complete timing belt job, have it done immediately. The factory recommended change interval is 105,000 miles, and it's very common for people to dump the car when it needs this expensive service. Now, it's generally acknowledged the interval should be 70-80 thousand miles and 105 is far too long; so you're well overdue.

And no, you can't tell by inspection if the belt has been done, not with any certainty. Further, if the belt or its associated parts fails, most of your engine will be destroyed.

Vehicles
      B5 5MT UNITRONIC TUNED, B7 6MT STAGE 1.5 TDI
      03-09-2012 08:42 PM #6
      Go to the dealer and ask em if there's anyway they can find out if It's been done. Last thing u want is for the belt to bring then ur in deep trouble!

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      03-10-2012 11:14 AM #7
      I'm going to agree with the above advice. Priority one is to determine the newness of the timing belt system. If you can verify it has been done (completely) when it should have been done (between 80k and where you are now) then you're set for a while. If it turns out the original belt system is still on the car, you're about due.

When the timing belt system fails (and they do), the pistons collide with the valves causing expensive internal engine damage. There are no warnings when the system is about to fail. The engine just dies and won't restart no matter what you do. Then you're looking at a head rebuild or replacement ON TOP OF a timing belt job. So you're going to be paying for a timing belt job one way or the other. You get to choose between...
      A. having the timing belt job done on your schedule.
      B. waiting for the car to strand you somewhere then adding a head replacement to the cost of the timing belt job. (your V6 has two heads)
      Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 03-10-2012 at 11:17 AM.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality

8. 03-10-2012 12:20 PM #8
      Yes so I found out that the car never had the timing belt done, so I am going to get it done asap!

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      03-10-2012 02:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ore0o View Post
      Yes so I found out that the car never had the timing belt done, so I am going to get it done asap!
      At 106,000 I'd seriously consider parking it until you get that done, assuming you have another car. In addition to the miles, that piece of rubber is eleven years old. General advice is no more than seven years, regardless of mileage. You savvy what happens to rubber with age, right?

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 2d S,S,&N CSG; 2012 Touareg TDi; 2010 Mustang GT, 2000 Beetle Turbo Baja
      03-10-2012 03:31 PM #10
      Hey another new guy like me...
      Just bought a 2003
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...at-GLX-4Motion

Anyway I put Hella E-Codes on mine... http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/3B0998003/ES1848600/
      well going to put them on when my mechanik is done with the pissing about with the timing belt, suspension, PCV, etc and taking up my entire garage wit all the damn parts off the car...
      Will get some pics up in my thread later tomorrow...

Things you will WANT/NEED to do, at least in my opinion if you plan to keep the car for awhile.
      If you are paying a dealership I pity you, I could do it all myself if I had to, but let my friend do it instead:
      1.De-Sludge/Check (needs taken apart to check) the lubrication system, if you have no oil change records this is an immediate need and even if you do its likely still a need if synthetic oil wasn't used from the start (mine was a mess)...
      Oil pan removed and de-gunked, valve covers pulled & cleaned, all seals/gaskets replaced as there was the standard leak into the spark plug cavities, spark plugs replaced they were original and looked like crap (my car has half the miles yours does, just keep that in mind)
      2. go over PCV system and see if there is gooey stuff in it, if there is it needs replaced,
      Let me know I have the majority of a PCV system for your car I bought by mistake I will sell for cheep...
      3. Coolant system, what color is your coolant? like a brown color? if it is it needs flushed at a minimum if not overhauled (radiator replaced, heater core, hoses, etc)...
      ---others already covered the timing belt, to add to that is the water pump and related (do while in there stuff).

you are probably going WTF is there anything these cars don't need fixed every 10 min...
      I knew that coming in but if I didn't I woulda been ready to chuck it off a cliff...

As I'm sure others will attest to these cars will last a good long time if properly maintained, I have seen 250k+ miles on the original engine already.
      This flowchart pretty much sums it up http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...2-B5-Questions

Welcome to the club
      Last edited by Sf_Kilo; 03-10-2012 at 03:33 PM.