Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 37

    Thread: New family vehicle...?

    1. 03-09-2012 01:59 PM #1
      Our son is due tomorrow and I've been looking at new family vehicles for months now. Specifically the 2007 Nissan Xterra. I'm certainly not opposed to something else but I definitely want an SUV and I can only spend $14,000 so I'm limited to what year it was manufactured.
      Does anyone have the Xterra and if so, how do you like it? Can anyone turn me on to any other SUV's that I should look at? I appreciate the help

    2. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      20,887
      03-09-2012 03:03 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      Our son is due tomorrow and I've been looking at new family vehicles for months now. Specifically the 2007 Nissan Xterra. I'm certainly not opposed to something else but I definitely want an SUV and I can only spend $14,000 so I'm limited to what year it was manufactured.
      Does anyone have the Xterra and if so, how do you like it? Can anyone turn me on to any other SUV's that I should look at? I appreciate the help
      I know you want an SUV. And since you are makign this move with a kid on the way I assume you are making it for space reasons. From what I recall, the Xterra is more "compact" inside than I thought it would be.

      Having said that, I love them!

    3. 03-09-2012 07:52 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I know you want an SUV. And since you are makign this move with a kid on the way I assume you are making it for space reasons. From what I recall, the Xterra is more "compact" inside than I thought it would be.

      Having said that, I love them!

      Well I want an SUV but I don't want some big honkin' land barge either. I've just read reviews about the fuel delivery system having issues

    4. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-09-2012 09:17 PM #4
      Check the crash ratings on that one... For some reason I thought it was rate poorly.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      6,219
      03-09-2012 09:40 PM #5
      We have an MDX as our familymobile. You can pull up a 3rd row of seats to make it a 7-seater if need be. It's a great car, very roomy and with ample room in the back for stowing stuff.
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      6,591
      03-09-2012 10:21 PM #6
      titleist, doesn't our boy Ricky have an MDX?

    7. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-10-2012 07:24 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I know you want an SUV. And since you are makign this move with a kid on the way I assume you are making it for space reasons. From what I recall, the Xterra is more "compact" inside than I thought it would be.

      Having said that, I love them!
      Same.

      At the price point you gave (14k), you are in the range of a LOT of nice, safe, reliable cars that are 6-7 years old and have all of the modern safety features (airbags, Latch System for the carseats, stability control, etc.) Also - all of the crash ratings should be available on the IIHS and NHTSA sites.

      Clicking "suv" and "14k" into autotrader came up with explorers, pilots, CRVs, Last-gen Tahoes and Suburbans(I'm thinking high miles on those), Highlanders, etc, etc, etc. LOTS to choose from there.

      Who is going to be driving the "family" vehicle primarily? You or your wife/s.o.(I am of course, assuming you are the man of the family-sorry)? If the latter, you need to just ensure that she is comfortable with everything about the car. The exterra, from what I recall, is much "higher" in the rear seating position and the door openings seemed small. This could pose a problem for someone putting the kiddie-carrier up and into the back seat. Best bet is to at least take the infant carrier along with you when cruising used-car sections of dealers and do a few "tests" of putting it in and out.

    8. 03-10-2012 07:42 AM #8
      Thanks guys. I agree the Xterra looks to have small rear door openings. I surely do not want a suburban -- like you said...high mileage and gas guzzler. The Toyota Highlander is a definite maybe.

      On another note, she's in labor. 25 minutes apart right now so still a ways to go.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      6,591
      03-10-2012 08:15 AM #9
      Highlanders are great. We have a 4runner and it works well for my wife, but it isn't as practical as the highlander.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,398
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      03-10-2012 08:17 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      Thanks guys. I agree the Xterra looks to have small rear door openings. I surely do not want a suburban -- like you said...high mileage and gas guzzler.
      You know those things are going to get you around 16-18mpg combined driving right? I know people that are lucky if they get 13mpg in city driving. Just saying since you said you didn't want a gas guzzler, I think you are looking at the wrong vehicle. I looked at them years ago before gas was a fortune and didn't get one because the mileage sucked on them so bad.

      And the whole SUV thing man, I've got two kids and animals - our Corolla does just fine and I get in the high 30's in it. We also have a Kia Rondo that I love, perfect balance between a car and an actual mini van. Also look at something like a Mazda 5, Kia Soul, something along those lines. Your choice and money, just trying to help

    11. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-10-2012 11:15 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      titleist, doesn't our boy Ricky have an MDX?
      RDX. Try to slip one past me like that?

    12. 03-10-2012 11:41 AM #12
      My former neighbor had an Xterra. It got rusty pretty quick as the roads are salted up here.

      Congrats on the new baby.

    13. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-10-2012 06:25 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      RDX. Try to slip one past me like that?
      Whoa

      Sounds like someone has a complex! Hey my pilot is just like an MSC underneath, anyways. Ha!

    14. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-10-2012 08:01 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Whoa

      Sounds like someone has a complex! Hey my pilot is just like an MSC underneath, anyways. Ha!
      Your name is Ricky, too?! Holy ****.

      No, some other forum we all fool around on, Ricky owns an Rdx and I went all alzheimers about it and thought he had an Mdx.

      OP: We really like our Pilot. It drives like a big ass truck, but it's a comfortable place to be. As long as you drive it like a truck, it's fine. I see women taking turns in it like it is an Accord though.

    15. Member SSN-681's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2002
      Location
      Meriden CT
      Posts
      764
      Vehicles
      2003 20th AE GTI
      03-10-2012 11:55 PM #15
      Have you considered looking at a Subaru Forester? I have owned 2 and our child seats fit well, and the car has good crash test raitings.

    16. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-12-2012 07:47 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Your name is Ricky, too?! Holy ****.

      No, some other forum we all fool around on, Ricky owns an Rdx and I went all alzheimers about it and thought he had an Mdx.

      OP: We really like our Pilot. It drives like a big ass truck, but it's a comfortable place to be. As long as you drive it like a truck, it's fine. I see women taking turns in it like it is an Accord though.
      If I have the thing out with nobody in the car I turn the stability control off (or down, does it turn all the way off?) and make that thing howl around off-ramps. I generally drive it like an ass-hat when I am by myself, italian tuneups are required when it barely gets driven 10 miles a day.

    17. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-12-2012 11:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      If I have the thing out with nobody in the car I turn the stability control off (or down, does it turn all the way off?) and make that thing howl around off-ramps. I generally drive it like an ass-hat when I am by myself, italian tuneups are required when it barely gets driven 10 miles a day.
      The funny thing is that when we were looking at these at dealerships, they all pitched us with: We've got a new XYZ Dealership program, like BMW's maintenance program where you pay $X amount up front and we take care of EVERYTHING. Most people need at least one set of tires and we pick up the tab.

      I see why they have this new program. The thing drives like a big truck and the tires are the only thing keeping it from losing it into every turn.

    18. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-12-2012 02:17 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      The funny thing is that when we were looking at these at dealerships, they all pitched us with: We've got a new XYZ Dealership program, like BMW's maintenance program where you pay $X amount up front and we take care of EVERYTHING. Most people need at least one set of tires and we pick up the tab.

      I see why they have this new program. The thing drives like a big truck and the tires are the only thing keeping it from losing it into every turn.
      I DRIVE a "big truck" everyday. The wife's ride is a sportscar in comparison. Upgraded tires have helped that thing in a BIG way...the old tires (crap GY stockers) used to whine at the hint of turn in, these newer michelins don't make noise till you have them on the sidewalk scrubbing away.

    19. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-12-2012 02:19 PM #19
      Which Michelins did you buy? I'll have to keep that in mind in about 10k miles the way they are being driven now.

    20. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-12-2012 02:30 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Which Michelins did you buy? I'll have to keep that in mind in about 10k miles the way they are being driven now.
      I'll look at the sidewall. I was researching for the quietest damn tire available, because the rock-hard goodyears were driving me insane on the highway with the high-pitched whine and horrible traction especially in the rain.


      dry? rain? same thing..right?
      Last edited by Tornado2dr; 03-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.

    21. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-12-2012 02:39 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I'll look at the sidewall. I was researching for the quietest damn tire available, because the rock-hard goodyears were driving me insane on the highway with the high-pitched whine and horrible traction especially in the rain.


      dry? rain? same thing..right?
      Rock hard? Really? I just don't know what I'm looking for in big tires I guess because they feel decent to me compared to anything else that I've driven... namely sedans and other fast little cars.

    22. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-12-2012 03:26 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Rock hard? Really? I just don't know what I'm looking for in big tires I guess because they feel decent to me compared to anything else that I've driven... namely sedans and other fast little cars.
      The goodyears on the car were downright scary in the rain, to me. Light application of the gas in what amounts to a heavy accord shouldn't spin the wheels leaving a stoplight. Turns on bumpy off-ramps were more unsettled than heavy cornering in my pickup.

      They were NOT old, NOT bald, and NOT damaged in any way. I looked it up and they were the "lower rolling resistance" series that are supposedly designed for better mileage. They sucked on my wife's corolla, too.

    23. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-12-2012 03:27 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Rock hard? Really? I just don't know what I'm looking for in big tires I guess because they feel decent to me compared to anything else that I've driven... namely sedans and other fast little cars.
      Oh hell, aren't you in california? does it even rain where you are?

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      6,591
      03-12-2012 03:41 PM #24
      Keep in mind that titleist is Asian and needs any driving assistance he can get.

    25. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-12-2012 03:47 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Keep in mind that titleist is Asian and needs any driving assistance he can get.
      I just spit my water out. Thanks.

    26. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,191
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-12-2012 04:06 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post

      They were NOT old, NOT bald, and NOT damaged in any way. I looked it up and they were the "lower rolling resistance" series that are supposedly designed for better mileage. They sucked on my wife's corolla, too.
      I want to see your wife's corolla on big ol' off road tires!

      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Oh hell, aren't you in california? does it even rain where you are?
      Supposed to rain non-stop for the next week. After it's been spring-like since January. Driving tomorrow is going to suck.

      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Keep in mind that titleist is Asian and needs any driving assistance he can get.
      First mod: Curb Feelers!

    27. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      23,577
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-13-2012 11:07 AM #27
      my brother has had a Xterra for a while.
      he likes it... but its just him and his wife.

      he has mentioned that the fuel mileage is pretty poor. not sure how it compares to its class though.

      edit:
      i just went looking, the 07 Xterra gets about 17mpg combined. lower then i was expecting.
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 03-13-2012 at 11:10 AM.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    28. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,124
      03-17-2012 06:49 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Which Michelins did you buy? I'll have to keep that in mind in about 10k miles the way they are being driven now.
      Just looked. Latitude Tour for lifted minivans.

    29. 03-25-2012 09:27 PM #29
      Don't know if its too late or not, but we had an 04 Xterra a couple of years ago and I can echo what everyone else is saying. Less than expected room, and bad gas mileage, plus im a bigger guy and the front seat was always cramped for me. Other than that I did like it quite a bit, especially since ours was 4wd.

      I would suggest a minivan. They really are very nice as well as practical.

    30. 03-26-2012 08:17 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenWagen View Post
      Don't know if its too late or not, but we had an 04 Xterra a couple of years ago and I can echo what everyone else is saying. Less than expected room, and bad gas mileage, plus im a bigger guy and the front seat was always cramped for me. Other than that I did like it quite a bit, especially since ours was 4wd.

      I would suggest a minivan. They really are very nice as well as practical.
      Picked up a really nice looking, very clean, 2005 Xterra. I'm a little guy (5'6 180 lbs). Yes, the fuel mileage has me a little down but I really like the truck. I still haven't put a car seat in it yet but a guy from work who has triplets says the truck is a little tight with all 3 kids (carseats) but with 2 it seems to be just fine.

    31. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      23,577
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-26-2012 11:55 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenWagen View Post
      I would suggest a minivan. They really are very nice as well as practical.
      i understand why you would suggest this, but very few people need a minivan with only a single kid.

      we are having a kid in June AND we have two 50# dogs already. we still won't be getting a minivan.

      we will somehow soldier on with out 2004 Passat Wagon.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    32. 03-26-2012 12:20 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      i understand why you would suggest this, but very few people need a minivan with only a single kid.

      we are having a kid in June AND we have two 50# dogs already. we still won't be getting a minivan.

      we will somehow soldier on with out 2004 Passat Wagon.
      Very few people also need a 50" inch television. Van's are freaking comfortable!!! My fiancee is really wanting a new car and we will be buying in a year or two, im really pushing her to get a Routan and we only have a 10 month old. She's not too thrilled about a van, but im working on her. Honestly I don't want to drive it everyday, because it's a van, but it would be ok if she did.

      I long to be lounging in the back watching a DVD with the baby, while she makes the 6 hour drive to visit family.

    33. Member merckx56's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      South Carolina
      Posts
      5,969
      Vehicles
      2014 Chevrolet Traverse LT 2006 GMC Yukon XL SLT
      03-27-2012 01:49 PM #33
      Had baby #3 about 8 months ago and promptly went out and bought a Yukon XL.

      Three rows of seats keeps the peace, and you can haul all of your sh*t without issue.

      Mileage isn't stellar (19-20 highway), but it's worth every penny.
      ... you're not a hipster. But you definitely have hipster tendencies. Stay vigilant... like diabetes, you can manage this.
      -20DYNAMITE07

      This thread sucks -Quattro Krant

    34. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      23,577
      Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-27-2012 01:52 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenWagen View Post
      Very few people also need a 50" inch television. Van's are freaking comfortable!!! My fiancee is really wanting a new car and we will be buying in a year or two, im really pushing her to get a Routan and we only have a 10 month old. She's not too thrilled about a van, but im working on her. Honestly I don't want to drive it everyday, because it's a van, but it would be ok if she did.

      I long to be lounging in the back watching a DVD with the baby, while she makes the 6 hour drive to visit family.
      i understand your thoughts i guess.

      but current model minivans are freakin huge, making them a chore to drive around for daily duties and not all that fuel efficient. not to mention nowhere near cheap to purchase.

      where as you CAN get a 50 inch HDTV for $500
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 03-28-2012 at 01:12 AM.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    35. Member Visheau's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2004
      Location
      Alaska
      Posts
      790
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2010 4Runner SR5
      03-27-2012 11:56 PM #35
      on the minivan idea, get a Mazda 5, it's actually mini

      of course, the brand new ones are hideous, but the previous generation were nice

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •