Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New to VW Community, Just Picked Up A 337.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      03-30-2012 10:03 AM #77
      Thanks for the input! And that was a great write up, I hadn't found that one during my search!

N80 valve for the win. Tested at the gas station today and she started up instantly.

Also got my girlfriend's ICM installed in her Passat last night and got rid of that pesky CEL/Limp Mode.

Should have some parts coming next week:

- Green Top Coolant Temp Sensor
      - Antenna
      - Rear Cup Holder
      - Rear Ash Tray
      - Passenger Seatbelt Latch (Female)

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI | 1988 Audi 90 MS3X | 1998 Ford Ranger
      03-30-2012 12:58 PM #78
      Good job so far. I would not have paid $4000 for that thing though. Keep it up.

Vehicles
      25th Anniversary GTI
      03-30-2012 01:28 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by swagen2101 View Post
      The " Race " Valve is an iffy subject, you will get different replys from different people..

Supposedly its just an OEM Audi one renamed..
      I had it on my car when I first bought it, took it off, and didint notice any difference.
      Some people say it spikes a psi or 2 higher..

As for this car...

Goodluck, you have a lot of work to do, but it seems like your on the right path

Remember, Maintenance Is Paramount.
      same^ i found that the "race" n75 stopped my cars surging issue under heavy acceleration i didnt really care about more or less boost just wanted a smoother run through the powerband. keep up the good work with her

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      03-31-2012 12:15 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by lorge1989 View Post
      Good job so far. I would not have paid $4000 for that thing though. Keep it up.
      well, $4000 for the 02M transmission, K03s setup, 1.8t and even sloppy RC's, all with less than 100k on them is worth far more than $4000 even as a part out. So in that sense, I see it as a win.

Vehicles
      Mk1 Caddy Project, MK3 Oval Track Car, MK6 daily
      03-31-2012 01:16 PM #81
      Dang.. good luck. Subscribed to see how it turns out.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      03-31-2012 05:15 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolRabbit View Post
      Dang.. good luck. Subscribed to see how it turns out.
      Thanks! Picking up some steelies and tires on Tuesday so I can pull the RC's off and begin working on them!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-16-2012 08:17 AM #83
      Been a while since the last update. Not much has been done. Replaced broken antenna with a 9" OEM, flushed and replaced G12 coolant, installed the green top coolant temp sensor, also installed a new passenger female seatbelt latch because mine hasn't worked since day one, and I hate my girlfriend riding without one.

Also, skipped on buying the steelies in order to save a few bucks for next week. Bringing it into RS Worx in Washington, NJ for a once-over by them....as well as APR Stage 1 while the loaded ECU is still on sale!
      Last edited by Kevrend; 04-16-2012 at 08:25 AM.

8. 04-16-2012 10:06 AM #84
      Wow, read through the whole thread, you have some balls, (and probably money) lol to take on a project like that!
      Good to see someone taking care of a neglected 337 though!

Sell me your seats! Ha

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-16-2012 10:55 AM #85
      So far, it hasn't been a ton of money. To this day:
      Car: $4000
      N80: $70
      Boost Gauge/Pod: $60
      Antenna: $6
      Rear Hatch Struts: $20
      Interior trim/dash components/door panels/parcel shelf/armrest/cupholders: $250
      Seatbelt: $75
      Coolant Temp Sensor: $14
      Head rests: $30

So where I sit, just about $4500. Stage 1 ECU will run around $500 with the APR sale going on.
      My reflex silver respray is going to be around $500 because my brother-in-law works at a higher end body shop. Just have to start up on the exterior body work, which luckily isn't actually a ton. More scraping of the poor paint than anything else. A few ping marks to fill, but all in all, maybe a weeks worth of evenings after work.

The wheels are a different story, but after searching and reading DIY's I feel pretty confident that I can bring them back to at least 80-90% of their original aesthetic appeal. Maybe not shot peened, but a hell of a lot better than black, brass and tarnished looking silver.

And if I sold my seats, where would I sit

Lol, you don't want them...bolster wear on driver seat and...who knows what stains. lol not to mention the headrests are butchered.

Car just hit 102k. Almost time for another oil change.

Also in the works:
      Front end refresh kit
      Wheel bearings all around
      Stoptech Brakes (I work with the owner of Zeckhausen Racing and he's a great guy and gives a pretty nice discount to coworkers)
      Turbo Inlet Pipe
      N75R
      Forge 007/008 DV

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-16-2012 11:41 AM #86
      The car also currently has the GHL 2.5" catback exhaust, so I'll be looking to put in a down pipe/high flow cat. That's all I'll need on the recommended upgrades to flash up to APR Stage 2.

11. Member
      04-16-2012 11:57 AM #87
      Cool thread - post some more pictures!

12. 04-16-2012 12:12 PM #88
      I just want the cloth to wrap around the foam on my 20th recaros
      The red is sooooo sick! Im sure a good steam cleaning and shampoo treatment will bring them back to life!
      I love the 337 seats lol

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-17-2012 09:23 PM #89
      Today, I added a broken headlight, dented/pinched fender, dented hood and some scuffing on the hood and roof. Didn't take long at all! And all I used to do those mods was a large sized doe!

Hit her this afternoon going about 45mph through a heavily wooded area near my home. Was just cruising home with my girlfriend when out of nowhere this deer launches from behind a very large tree across the road. Hit the brakes and held it straight, but to no avail. I didn't have a chance. Hit her at around 40, caught her with the front left corner and launched her over the car. She hit the windshield but luckily, she rolled right up over the roof line. There are some good dents and I'll need to replace the hood/fender/headlight, but all in all, just very happy she didn't actually enter the car.

Keep safe out there, everyone.
      Last edited by Kevrend; 04-17-2012 at 09:25 PM.

14. 04-17-2012 09:33 PM #90
      sorry to hear, but looks like you're doing a great job saving the 337 props to you

Vehicles
      bmp 20th
      04-17-2012 11:53 PM #91
      good to see a car being saved.
      following
      F**k the haters, it's your car and your money, build what you want!

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 Gti 20th AE
      04-18-2012 12:53 AM #92
      Wow, sorry to hear about the accident & glad nobody was hurt. I've been keeping an eye out for deer in my area hoping one doesn't ninja out like yours. But good to see someone else who cares about limited edition cars and has a cool g/f to hang with when workin' on it Good luck the rest of the way in your restoration.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Volkswagen golf 20th (all stock) , ford fusion 2.3 5mtx
      04-18-2012 01:19 AM #93
      read the whole thing, in my opinion on the money debate, i think your coming out ahead. Since mechanically from what you are saying is worth it on its own, would replace that subframe ASAP though. keep going

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-18-2012 10:45 AM #94
      Thanks guys. I'm very glad that this was all that occurred. And that it happened before the body work and paint went in. Sourcing out parts now. Looking at a new primed fender for around $50 and a new primed hood for around $125. Headlights, I've found a few for a good deal with the fog light and since I have my rear bulb trays all functioning, I should be good there. Also going to swap in glass lenses while I'm at it.

Pretty torn about doing the APR chip now, considering this will put a damper on my wallet, but the APR sale ends this week. Thoughts?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-18-2012 01:38 PM #95
      Went ahead and ordered new OEM fender and OEM hood. $175 total, and will be here tomorrow morning. Also picking up a 20th AE driver side headlight locally for around $30.

Vehicles
      2003 imola gti
      04-18-2012 01:41 PM #96
      [QUOTE=Kevrend;76964678]Thanks guys. I'm very glad that this was all that occurred. And that it happened before the body work and paint went in.QUOTE]

like you said and if you clame it save the cash for a compleat paint job and do the work yourself looks like the cars going to get where it needs to be in no time ....... how did the rc's turn out

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-18-2012 02:05 PM #97
      like you said and if you clame it save the cash for a compleat paint job and do the work yourself looks like the cars going to get where it needs to be in no time ....... how did the rc's turn out
      unfortunately I had to wait on doing the RC's cause I needed the cash elsewhere, but once the body and paint are done, the RC's will be next!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      04-21-2012 04:15 PM #98
      Went to Redline Speed Worx in Washington, NJ yesterday to have a full diagnostic done on the car, and to have the APR Stage 1 fully loaded ECU done. They found two small vacuum leaks, one at the diverter valve and one where I had tapped in for the boost gauge. Both were easily fixed and the health of the turbo was determined to be very good. Flash took a while, but was successful. However, my Set button for my cruise control does not work, so I am unable to cycle through programs. For now, I'm in 93.

Going to have to pick up a new stalk. Apparently I have the D style with the Set/Resume on the end, On/Off as a switch in the stalk. Also will eventually need to replace the power steering pump, as it's leaking pretty readily. I've been refilling the reservoir every week and a half to two weeks, as I notice it eventually become more resistant.

Also received the hood, however the fender was backordered so I won't receive it until Monday morning. Didn't want to install one without the other, so waiting. After getting to really take a look at the damage, my hood is actually not bad at all, so I'll be repairing it and either keeping it as a spare, or selling it on the cheap.

Also need new tires, as front treadwear shows some noticeable camber wear. What tires are everyone running on the stock RC's?

23. 04-21-2012 10:45 PM #99
      Good job on the car and a great vision u have. I think u have done an awesome job with excellent sourcing for parts. Deer are insane its almost as if they wait for cars and then run into them. Several people in Canada have complained even if u swerve that the deer seems to swerve with u. They been nicknamed "Suicide bombers". I know one specific hunter who on his way to deer hunting hit a deer and flipped his vehicle. He was fine but never did kill one in the hunt that weekend. Just on the road. One week later he hit another one. The irony was unreal.

Great idea to keep it in a straight line when braking, usually swerving means flipping the vehicle.
      Last edited by mapleleaf979; 04-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      04-22-2012 12:08 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Kevrend View Post
      Also need new tires, as front treadwear shows some noticeable camber wear. What tires are everyone running on the stock RC's?
      Due to the price of michelin pilot sports (the OEM tire), I ran the bfgoodrich g-force T/A KDWs. I thought I got more for my money compared to the general exclaim UHPs. They're not as good as the pilot sports but they hold their own and are substantially cheaper. Weren't too bad for auto-x either.
      .:Roxanne

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast