Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: New to VW Community, Just Picked Up A 337.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      07-19-2012 01:27 AM #176
      I didn't find any DIY's, but I took it slow and paid attention to little details.

Start by removing the seat itself. Be sure to disconnect the battery prior to avoid detonating your airbags. Disconnect the airbag plug and play connectors. Remove entire seat.

Then, remove the plastic panels around the bottom of the seat. I believe mine were mostly, if not all, phillips head screws. Once removed, begin disconnecting the seat cover. It is a stretched hook style of connection.

Once it's fully release around the outside edge of the seat, begin disconnecting the snap rods in the pleats of the seat (butt pan).

Once the cover is fully removed, pull the old foam off.

Place the new foam on and be sure to align the metal support bars properly so the foam sits flush.

Begin the tedious task of reinstalling the snap bars. These are easier in the beginning as you work from the back section towards the leg section. It's a huge pain in the a$$ as you get closer to the front.

Once you get all the snap bars connected, restretch the cover over the foam and hook the connections back up all the way around the skirting.

Reattach plastics and reinstall seat.

Bam. All done.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2012 02:16 AM #177
      what camera and lens do you use? 50mm 1/8?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      07-19-2012 03:58 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by zactastic View Post
      what camera and lens do you use? 50mm 1/8?
      depends on what I'm doing. I use a 50mm f/1.8 as my toss around lens. I'm shooting a D700 and my typical go-to lenses are a 24-70 f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.4. I do dabble with a 14-24mm f/2.8 and a 24mm 1.4 as well.

I work for a pretty large photography retailer, so I have access to a lot of cool toys.

Vehicles
      2003 imola gti
      07-19-2012 05:39 PM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by Kevrend View Post
      I didn't find any DIY's, but I took it slow and paid attention to little details.

Start by removing the seat itself. Be sure to disconnect the battery prior to avoid detonating your airbags. Disconnect the airbag plug and play connectors. Remove entire seat.

Then, remove the plastic panels around the bottom of the seat. I believe mine were mostly, if not all, phillips head screws. Once removed, begin disconnecting the seat cover. It is a stretched hook style of connection.

Once it's fully release around the outside edge of the seat, begin disconnecting the snap rods in the pleats of the seat (butt pan).

Once the cover is fully removed, pull the old foam off.

Place the new foam on and be sure to align the metal support bars properly so the foam sits flush.

Begin the tedious task of reinstalling the snap bars. These are easier in the beginning as you work from the back section towards the leg section. It's a huge pain in the a$$ as you get closer to the front.

Once you get all the snap bars connected, restretch the cover over the foam and hook the connections back up all the way around the skirting.

Reattach plastics and reinstall seat.

Bam. All done.

awesome thanks man sounds easy enough so there are no (hog rings ) metal clamps you crimp down to the seat

5. Banned
      Vehicles
      337/MKVI
      07-19-2012 06:38 PM #180
      Couldn't be happier with the result. Much more snug fit! And no metal on bone contact!
      Should have cut a plastic bottle and placed it over the metal bar so it doesn't happen again.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 337, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, 2002 Honda S2000
      07-20-2012 03:31 PM #181
      I am still trying to decide what I want to do with the suspension of the car. I know I need to replace the rear shocks. I just don't know if I want to wait and do coilovers (ST) or do a cup kit and replace the fronts and rears. I really don't give a crap about going low. Yeah, it looks good, but I'd rather maintain my original geometry.
      I just installed Koni Coilovers and I love them! Not too low and the ride quality is great as compared to the FK Streets that are on there.

depends on what I'm doing. I use a 50mm f/1.8 as my toss around lens. I'm shooting a D700 and my typical go-to lenses are a 24-70 f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.4. I do dabble with a 14-24mm f/2.8 and a 24mm 1.4 as well.

I work for a pretty large photography retailer, so I have access to a lot of cool toys.
      I shoot a D80 and own a 18-55VR and a 55-200VR, basically a poor man's 18-200 setup lol. Maybe I need to hit you up for some lenses

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      07-21-2012 10:30 AM #182
      Quote Originally Posted by DarksideZ View Post
      I shoot a D80 and own a 18-55VR and a 55-200VR, basically a poor man's 18-200 setup lol. Maybe I need to hit you up for some lenses
      If you ever need lenses down the road, definitely PM me. I may not be able to get you some massive discount, but I CAN make sure that our price is better than any others you'll find. And since you don't live in NJ you'll dodge sales tax and most likely get free shipping!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 337, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, 2002 Honda S2000
      07-22-2012 03:53 PM #183
      If you ever need lenses down the road, definitely PM me. I may not be able to get you some massive discount, but I CAN make sure that our price is better than any others you'll find. And since you don't live in NJ you'll dodge sales tax and most likely get free shipping!
      That is definitely a good deal!

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Gti 337
      07-22-2012 11:40 PM #184
      I have a bone stock 337.Had it for 5 years now and its in perfect condition.Its just a shame what they did to that car Good luck with your project!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      07-23-2012 07:39 AM #185
      Picked up a Black Forest Industries Stage I Dogbone Mount at Waterfest for $55.
      Pulled the old one last night.
      DSC_3607
      Here's the new one.
      DSC_3608
      And both of them together.
      DSC_3609
      I took it for a 10 minute spin immediately after and first impressions are:
      Cold start up had much less vibration to the body of the car.
      Shifts feel very crisp.
      I'm about to take it on my daily 90 mile round trip commute so I'll have a better sense of it later tonight.

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and 2007 A3 3.2 S-line
      08-27-2012 08:45 PM #186
      What's the latest with this thing? Will we be seeing it at H2O?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05 PG GLi
      08-27-2012 11:55 PM #187
      Good luck with it OP. I would not have touched that thing with a 10 foot pole but thats just me
      Breathe.

Vehicles
      '01 1.8t, '93 Corrado SLC
      08-29-2012 11:54 PM #188
      Whoever did this to this car should be drug out to the street and beaten.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      08-31-2012 09:45 AM #189
      I'm currently on vacation in Outer Banks. Car has seen slow progress lately with a promotion at work, but I have been working on sanding down the wheels, then filling them in prep for paint. Also starting to look into the paint issue. I still have intentions of painting it pearl white, most likely Satin White Pearl from the new Subaru BRZ. However, I've never seen paint as thick as what's on my 337, and with it so chipped up, I'm not sure what the best plan is to attack prepping it. I'll be sitting down with my brother in law soon to discuss that.

I ordered my Milltek downpipe 2 weeks before Waterfest and it's still not arrived to my local shop. They said that they are sold out of the part and waiting on production to ship them stateside. It's been driving me nuts, because the friction sound I mentioned hearing between shifts and when maintaining a constant speed has been there now for months on end. The shop is convinced that getting the old cat out of there will get rid of the sound, and I'm desperately hoping they are correct.

Once that comes in, I'll flash up to APR Stage II. Then I'll be picking up Stoptech pads and rotors and stainless brake lines from work.

I'm contemplating coil overs, although I'm still iffy about it. I'm convinced that the car's suspension is worn. At 114,000, I'm sure it could use a spruce up. So still trying to decide between a set of ST coilovers (at the suggestion of my local shop, RS Worx) or going with a cup kit. I will also be upgrading front and rear sway bars. Anyone have an opinion on sway bars? Particular brands and particular diameters? I want this car to feel like it's on rails when in a decently tight turn for an on/off ramp monster.

Vehicles
      04.5 Magic Black GLI
      08-31-2012 10:58 AM #190
      I feel like you and I are in the same boat, I just picked up a 05 VW GLI with some cosmetic issues.. lol its got all sorts of paint chips, the liner inside was redone poorly, and on top of that my side view mirror is also cracked LOL same side and everything, but i hope the best for you brotha. Your car has a lot of potential, can't wait to see it done

Vehicles
      2005 VW Jetta GLI
      08-31-2012 06:07 PM #191
      Wow. You're coming along quite nicely! I finally bought a GLI after working on VW/Audi's for the last 8 years.

As for the hole cut in the subframe, common issue. When removing the bolt for the lower control arm, sometimes the welded nut on the otherside breaks loose. The only way to access it is to make a hole. I've probably had around 30 cars do it to me. I use a large unibit though. Cleaner and then painted to prevent rust. The hole isnt a big structure problem. If that is the weak point and bends, you have HUGE other issues besides the subframe.

Keep up the good work! Anxious to see the final outcome.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      10-02-2012 12:19 PM #192
      Just got this bad boy installed.
      DSC_7233
      DSC_7229
      In combination with my GHL 2.5" cat back, it's pretty throaty, but not obnoxious. Idle has a low rasp and it stays in a lower register through 4000 rpms where it opens up a bit.

Flashed to APR Stage II, 93 Octane.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th anniversary gti
      10-03-2012 02:13 PM #193
      Dang what was the previous owner thinking with that interior. Good luck

Vehicles
      '03 20th anniversary GTI(F23 build), '87 Cabriolet, '09 KTM SMC 690, and HERS '03 Jetta TDI.
      10-03-2012 05:49 PM #194
      Glad to see your still at it! Iv been wondering about this one, keep it up man!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      10-23-2012 06:19 PM #195
      Finally picked up a set of GTI tails from my local junk yard this week, in mint condition, to replace the Golf tails the car came with.

Before:
      DSC_8609

After:
      DSC_8611

Pretty happy with it, and outside in daylight it makes a world of difference.
      Also finally picked up a driver side leather door card and installed it.
      Almost at 120k so it's almost time for a timing belt!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      11-09-2012 08:26 PM #196
      I have been noticing the same friction sound I've experienced since my trip to Boston a few months ago. My attempts to thwart it with new wheel bearings and replacing the destroyed catalytic converter failed and it's persisted. I purchased a set of 02m axles for a 6 speed 1.8t from Black Forest industries, which theoretically should be correct. I installed them and now the car won't move and makes a grinding sound when I try to engage the clutch in first or reverse. Anyone have any insight? All I can think of is that the splines of the axle shaft are amiss with those of the hub but it was too dark for me to diagnose. Pretty stressed about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th Anniversary Edition
      11-27-2012 06:09 PM #197
      Not that i would recommend this, but my 20th was painted by a previous owner... Change it up! Do what you want paint-wise. Its your car, and theres always going to be purists... Great find and save!! Good luck!!

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 8v (r.i.p.), scion tC (r.i.p.), 20AE 1891
      11-28-2012 06:40 PM #198

Just found your thread. I had alot of fun reading it and seeing the progression. Keep up the great work! My vote goes for painting it what you want. That white pearl is sweet! Since the car was silver, (which I think is SO common) why not be a bit more original?! I agree with 87vr6 in keeping the oem body lines and kit. It still needs to look like a 337 even though its a different color. It's oem plus isn't it?

24. 12-01-2012 12:06 AM #199

one of my favorites

25. 12-01-2012 12:08 AM #200
      Quote Originally Posted by nickedtk View Post

one of my favorites
      cant seem to get the picture to work, but i found this picture of what i believe to be a green 20th (same body kits and rims, sitting next to an IY 20th) tagged ks photography, anyone seen it before ? favorite color for me

Vehicles
      '03 20th anniversary GTI(F23 build), '87 Cabriolet, '09 KTM SMC 690, and HERS '03 Jetta TDI.
      12-01-2012 12:41 AM #201
      I have been noticing the same friction sound I've experienced since my trip to Boston a few months ago. My attempts to thwart it with new wheel bearings and replacing the destroyed catalytic converter failed and it's persisted. I purchased a set of 02m axles for a 6 speed 1.8t from Black Forest industries, which theoretically should be correct. I installed them and now the car won't move and makes a grinding sound when I try to engage the clutch in first or reverse. Anyone have any insight? All I can think of is that the splines of the axle shaft are amiss with those of the hub but it was too dark for me to diagnose. Pretty stressed about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      I'm sure someone around here knows something. Try searching it, if u can't find anything might wanna try posting a new thread. Or try the technical forum. But sometimes questions or problems like that will get over looked in a thread like this. But props for keeping it to one thread this long!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      12-01-2012 05:45 PM #202
      So, a few weeks ago, I decided to go out on a whim and purchase new axles, as I really felt that the noise I was hearing had to be from either the trans or the axles. I shopped around and was torn between Raxles, OEM and cheap ones. I'm always a fan of do it right or do it twice, but I was strapped for cash. Then I found that Black Forest Industries was selling 02m 1.8t axles for $99. I jumped at it and bought a driver and passenger side axle. They shipped fast and were scheduled to be delivered on my day off. Needless to say, I was excited.

I woke up on the day of the delivery I tore the old ones off that morning to prep for the new ones to go in. This was during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, so I was still without power at my house, and daylight is scarce here in the evenings, so I wanted to have as much time to get the new ones in as possible. I got the old ones out pretty quickly and was ready to install by noon. I also did an oil change while I waited.

alt="DSC_9820">

DSC_9834

My dog decided to chill with me while I worked...and continue to further destroy my parcel shelf.

DSC_9846

Both axles had torn boots. This had to be the problem!

DSC_9835
      DSC_9817
      DSC_9819
      DSC_9843

While I was underneath, I took some time to inspect the brakes and the new test pipe.

DSC_9822
      DSC_9826
      DSC_9830
      DSC_9831

Low and behold....no delivery until 5pm, as the sun went down. The UPS driver dropped the package off and said "Looks like I'm just in time for something!" I had to hold back from telling him how irritated I was that the light was disappearing.

DSC_9848

The axles looked solid and I was excited to get them installed and test the car out to see if my diagnosis was correct. I figured that at 120,000 miles on the oem axles, it would probably feel great to get new CV joints in there.

DSC_9849

DSC_9851

DSC_9852

I worked via an LED headlamp and got the axles both installed. It took a little while, and was tough to do by myself, but I finally got them all bolted up and ready to drop the car down. I pulled the stands, dropped the car, tossed my gloves and prepared for the neighborhood loop test drive.

I depressed the clutch, and it felt light as a feather. I turned the key and she spurted to life. I gave it a minute for the car to warm up, then put the car in reverse and began to release the clutch. That's when I felt my stomach lurch into my throat. Rather than a smooth reverse, I got a grindy whiny sound and no motion out of the car. I threw it back in neutral and jumped out, looked under neath and once-overed the situation to ensure that I hadn't mistakenly done anything dumb. Nope. Everything was buttoned up right. It was pitch black at that point and I had to get back to my girlfriend's house, so I called her and had her pick me up and I returned to my car the following evening after work.

I jacked the car up, and rotated the wheels by hand to find that the driver side axle was perfect, but the passenger side inner CV joint was broken, allowing the axle to spin but not turn at the transmission end, causing the boot to twist up on itself. Great.

I dropped the axle out and opened up the cv joint to take a look. It was loose as could be. I pulled the assembly apart and put it all back together, repacked with grease and felt it bind up immediately. I took a trip to Advance Auto, bought a jaw puller and more CV grease, went home and began rebuilding it. Unfortunately, after the 4th time reassembling it and finding it binding, I pinched the cv joint housing with the jaw press right at one of the flange bolt holes. It was royally f***ed now.

I needed the car the following day, so I grabbed my broken oem axle, pulled, repacked it with cv grease and reassembled it, threw a heavy duty hose clamp on it, reinstalled, and bam. Car drove great......for a few days. I slowly felt it returning to the noise I had known so well (expectedly). I contacted Black Forest and explained what had happened: that I had received a defective axle and in trying to remedy it, I had done further damage. They said I should mail it back at my cost and they would look into whether or not it would be warrantied. I checked shipping and it was about $35 to send back. I did not want to gamble 1/3 the cost of the part on someone to say that I damaged it, because it was quite obvious that I did. I simply purchased another and waited for it to arrive. It came on my day off again! Late. Again.

I tore out the OEM, put in the new one (after checking it's assembly by hand). I'm about to drop the car and think....wait! Let's test it by hand NOW. I roll the wheel one rotation and watch the CV joint pop out of it's socket. The trans end no longer rotating, and the axle being free. No effing way. Seriously?

I reinstalled my terrible OEM and have had it in for the past few days. I contacted Black Forest and informed them that I was mailing both of the axles back for a refund. I included a video of the newest axle and how it was broken while it was still installed. They told me it was bad luck and that there must be quality control issues from the manufacturer. (duh.) Once I receive my refund I'll be purchasing OEM elsewhere, unless I can save enough by then to order Raxles.
      For now I'll keep the driver side in until it fails (which seems inevitable) but it's not worth the time to pull it out and reinstall the OEM then swap again, for $99.

Vehicles
      12-01-2012 08:41 PM #203
      Sounds like my luck dude, but atleast u found the problem!

Vehicles
      2004.5 PG GLI
      12-03-2012 04:58 PM #204
      O man thats just bad luck.....

I was at unique photo today and actually saw the car...I guess you work there or something

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my Samsung Note 2

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      12-03-2012 08:57 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by Peaje! View Post
      O man thats just bad luck.....

I was at unique photo today and actually saw the car...I guess you work there or something

Keep up the good work!

Small world! I do. I'm one of the showroom managers. Come say hi sometime! We can talk cameras and cars!

Vehicles
      2004.5 PG GLI
      12-03-2012 09:15 PM #206
      Ok man sounds good! Im looking to buy a nikon d5100 so I will ask for you when I come back.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      01-13-2013 08:23 PM #207
      Tonight, I lost power steering while coming down a very steep section of the mountain I live on. Luckily I noticed right as it went and was able to control it all the way down. I dropped it off at the speed shop I go to, and walked the rest of the way home. Hopefully it's just a line and not the entire pump assembly. Later this week I have some goodies going in (maintenance goodies).

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and 2007 A3 3.2 S-line
      01-14-2013 01:20 AM #208
      Later this week I have some goodies going in (maintenance goodies).
      I wouldn't call that long red thing you bought from "maintenance"

Vehicles
      04.5 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8t
      01-14-2013 01:22 AM #209
      looks like a lot of $$$$ but good pick up man, and good luck!
      PG MK4 GLI

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      01-14-2013 09:22 AM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      I wouldn't call that long red thing you bought from "maintenance"
      Sure it is! When one thing's broke and one thing's not, it's called fixing!

Also have some stuff I picked up from work going in once I get the axle installed. I'll admit, it's pretty convenient to share a warehouse with Zeckhausen Racing.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast