Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet my red-headed stepchild!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      06-19-2012 09:04 PM #526
      Any ready-made grille is out because while the spacing of the lights is the same as an S1, the lights are raised up to get the "brow" look. I'm set on the lights themselves, but the rest I have yet to work out.

I just got back from a road trip to Dan's place (Mr.Pill), and boy does he deliver!

Nice Dash:

Minimal work to make it awesome.

Perfect hood:

And a gorgeous set of Euro bumpers that Dan assures me are old, but they look factory fresh:

The bolts are still plated and the rebar is still totally black

Finally, this also came:

I was kind of surprised that the cost didn't include new strut housings, but thankfully I had a nice set from my hoarding days *phew*.

Tomorrow after work I'll try to get some of this stuff on the car, but for now I'm gonna walk off all these driving induced aches and pains.

A tout a l'heure.

Vehicles
      several VW Sciroccos and a RHD '54 MG TF 1250
      06-19-2012 10:50 PM #527
      You've got some cool parts there
      ... looking forward to seeing them on your S2
      Pura Vida

3. Member
      Vehicles
      06-20-2012 10:47 PM #528
      Okey Dokey,

Suspension assembled:

Suspension installed:

And for a little levity, ridiculous liability sticker on door jamb (sp?):

I also spent more time on the front end:

The headlight brackets are done and installed for good, turns are working, and the headlight buckets are aligned (bulbs arrive tomorrow). I think I'll leave the stock grille off and make a fully inset grille out of welding rods to better emphasize the "brow".

The last brake parts arrive tomorrow, Ronals get here Monday , but I'm out of town till the following weekend, so they'll have to wait . I'm still hoping to have a running, driving, stopping car with functioning electricals by Independance Day.

At which point "all" I have to do is finish and install the other million parts

4. 06-21-2012 12:04 PM #529
      I got a feeling, down deep inside, I cant contain it any longer....

MuHAhahahahahaha...

< cough > Keep up the Good Work!

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco Slegato
      06-21-2012 12:44 PM #530
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      I just got back from a road trip to Dan's place (Mr.Pill), and boy does he deliver!

Good to see you again Eric. Glad you were pleased with the items and found them to be worth the drive. I felt I was just being a good stewart and holding on to them until the right home was found.
      -Dan

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-21-2012 11:05 PM #531
      Quote Originally Posted by MrPill View Post
      I felt I was just being a good stewart and holding on to them until the right home was found.
      I will try to do them justice

Mixed results today.

The last brake parts came and I put them on, bled the brakes with Petra at the pedal, got rock hard (the pedal, you perverts ), and adjusted the ebrake cables, all in about an hour.

This is the final setup at the rear:

The hard line is a straight shot, unlike stock where it has to wind around to the bottom of the beam with added bracketry to guide and hold it.

Then, with plenty of daylight left, I mounted the headlight bulbs:

So far so good, until I tested the lights. After 6 hours of ufcking with it until it was dark, no dice.

Low beams:

The high beam bulbs are getting low voltage and glow a bit when the low beams are selected

When high beams are selected:

Everything is off on the right and everything is working on the left.

After pouring over the Bentley schematics and jumping a bunch of isht, I can say unequivocally that the problem persists when the dimmer switch is jumped, when the wires out of the dimmer switch are jumped, and when the fuse box pins are jumped.

Which leaves the main harness in the engine bay, under the battery and the airbox

This is one harness I didn't touch because it looked fine and there was nothing in it to delete.

I don't recall if it worked right before I took the car apart...

The plan when I get back in town is to jump the output the main harness in the bay by going straight from the output pins to the bulbs, so I'll need to make up some long wiring. If it works, I'll try to pull new wires without undoing or removing the harness (not optimistic...)

So, in other words, this just sucks

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      06-21-2012 11:23 PM #532
      What about the turn signal switch?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06-22-2012 12:22 AM #533
      (duplicate post)
      Last edited by echassin; 06-22-2012 at 12:25 AM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      06-22-2012 12:24 AM #534
      If you mean the headlight dimmer switch, I jumped that as one of the tests and the problem persisted.

When I select "brights", the whole right side goes out. I know fuse S9 is getting voltage because the bright warning light comes on, but there's no voltage at the white wires where they meet the headlights. Tomorrow I'll check for voltage at pin C16, and if there is none, that would confirm a fault within the fuse box after the takeoff to the brights warning bulb, but before pin C16, and I would hopefully just need another fuse box.

If C16 is getting voltage, then the white wire is faulty (at the very least...)

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      06-22-2012 12:32 AM #535
      If you mean the headlight dimmer switch, I jumped that as one of the tests and the problem persisted.

When I select "brights", the whole right side goes out. I know fuse S9 is getting voltage because the bright warning light comes on, but there's no voltage at the white wires where they meet the headlights. Tomorrow I'll check for voltage at pin C16, and if there is none, that would confirm a fault within the fuse box after the takeoff to the brights warning bulb, but before pin C16, and I would hopefully just need another fuse box.

If C16 is getting voltage, then the white wire is faulty (at the very least...)
      my S2 is the only one that hasnt needed a fuse box ive encountered, it's sad how crappy they seem to be, usually they have a problem with the turn signals not working cirrectky either because the fuse panel isnt giving switched 12v power to the hazard switch.

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      06-22-2012 12:51 AM #536
      Just glanced thru a couple of pages of this thread and I'm hooked already looking forward to reading thru the whole thread thus far

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      06-22-2012 08:22 AM #537
      Actually, the problem is that the S1 headlights and the S2 headlights are actually wired slightly differently.

Basically, Mk2s have the headlight wiring different than the mk1.

EASIEST WAY TO FIX THIS:

Look at your S1's headlight wiring, and note where the colors are (on the ouside and inside headlight beams)

Look at the S2's headlight wiring. Use tiny screwdriver to disengage the terminal clips and switch the wires to match what the S1 had them like.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-22-2012 09:48 AM #538
      NO ISHT!?

REALLY?

Timbo, you're the MAN!

Vehicles
      things broken
      06-22-2012 11:43 AM #539
      Allow me to offer one more suggestion:

RELAY YOUR HEADLIGHTS!

Since you have to re-route your wires anyway, it just makes sense.

Timbo's how to:

http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/t...ur-headlights/

You will only end up using the low beam and high beam trigger wires and running new power and grounds.

Also, get some Euro H4s. They are amazing!

H4 outer headlights with city light:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=115

H1 inner headlights:

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=137

Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 12:10 PM #540
      I actually relayed Leela's headlights after Cincy.

I initially hooked them up like a mk2, and weird things started happening, like the center lights glowing and such things.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-22-2012 12:12 PM #541
      Too late Joe

I do know about the relaying thing, but headlights are something I never cared about upgrading. Chicago is so bright at night from ambient light, frankly you don't need headlights at all . I'm happy as long as they work, which stock ones do.

So Timbo gets the prize for pointing out the wiring difference, which I wouldn't have even considered in a million years (hence the value of a "second opinion"). I have to say that overall this forum is a fantastic resource .

Low beams:

The dim glow from the high beams is gone

The right brights still didn't work, but that's a simple circuit to check. The C16 pin was getting 12 volts, so I knew it was the white wire to the high beams, somewhere in the bay. Probing the wire at the battery where the main harness splits up showed 12 volts, but near the radiator the voltage dropped to 3 volts. AHA!

Sure enough, a small crack in the white wire sheath had allowed water to seep in over the years and rot the white wire.

After unwrapping the harness and replacing the wire with a nice white wire from one of my junk drawers, here's the high beams:

And here's the harness rewrapped where the original failure occured:

I arranged everything so the harness are well sealed and have good support, so hopefully this won't happen again.

Anyhoo, I have to go pack for some R&R
      Last edited by echassin; 06-22-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      06-22-2012 12:25 PM #542
      I hate to nit, but relaying isn't just for upgrades. Sure, the added illumination you get when you are running straight power from the battery to the lights is nice, but I feel the more important issue that you correct with relays is preventing your stock switch from melting/catching on fire. It has happened many times, especially with those running H4/H1 bulbs- even happened to me in my Mk1!!!

Ok, getting off my soapbox now.

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      VW Stingray
      06-22-2012 01:47 PM #543
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Verminaard View Post
      I hate to nit, but relaying isn't just for upgrades. Sure, the added illumination you get when you are running straight power from the battery to the lights is nice, but I feel the more important issue that you correct with relays is preventing your stock switch from melting/catching on fire. It has happened many times, especially with those running H4/H1 bulbs- even happened to me in my Mk1!!!

Brendan

Yeah, a MK1 going up in flame is not that big of a deal, but a MK2 on the other hand...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      06-22-2012 04:37 PM #544
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      Yeah, a MK1 going up in flame is not that big of a deal, but a MK2 on the other hand...
      You had to go there...

Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco 16V
      06-22-2012 05:32 PM #545
      If the issue is just to keep the switch from catching fire, wouldn't it be much simpler to run one new power power from the battery to under the dash and wire 2 relays (high and low) to the headlight switch? I wouldn't relay my headlights in the way mentioned just because how much of a mess it makes.

Vehicles
      things broken
      06-22-2012 05:33 PM #546
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Verminaard View Post

Brendan
      I believe we talked about this for your Rabbit GTI, Mr. Chassin. Typical surgeon. Why prevent when operations to fix are so routine anymore?

Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      06-22-2012 05:38 PM #547
      Quote Originally Posted by petebee View Post
      You had to go there...
      Though he has it backwards

23. Member
      Vehicles
      06-22-2012 08:15 PM #548
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      I believe we talked about this for your Rabbit GTI, Mr. Chassin.
      That's DOCTOR Chassin to you, Sir .

We all can debate this POS ad nauseum, but the wiring in the S1 and the GTI is all 100% OEM, 100% fine, and it's staying 100% as-is until one of you claims the cars from my estate .

So don't go there Joe

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06-22-2012 08:20 PM #549
      Quote Originally Posted by SciroccoPowered View Post
      If the issue is just to keep the switch from catching fire, wouldn't it be much simpler to run one new power power from the battery to under the dash and wire 2 relays (high and low) to the headlight switch? I wouldn't relay my headlights in the way mentioned just because how much of a mess it makes.
      If I were to relay the lights (but I'm not), I would have one relay for each bulb, so if a relay fails on a fast stretch of dark country road, there'd still be another bulb on.

Vehicles
      92 GTI 16V, 88 Scirocco 16V (sold), 20th AE GTI #2269
      06-22-2012 08:59 PM #550
      Or you could do what I do, leave the stock wiring in place, tucked away for use as a back up if need be, then I just run leads from the drivers side connecter to the relays, which I have 3 of... One for the low beams, then one for the outer light high beams, and one for the inner driving lights

Oh, and I run Hella Optilux 80/100w H4's, and Hella 130w H3's which I got from rallylights.com

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 09:26 PM #551
      If I were to relay the lights (but I'm not), I would have one relay for each bulb, so if a relay fails on a fast stretch of dark country road, there'd still be another bulb on.
      Well, here's the ting - the stock s2 sealed beams are 55w. The stock s1 sealed beams are 35w. Downgrade in wattage = safer wiring = simpler = less to go wrong.

Vehicles
      Mk1 Golf 1.5
      06-23-2012 01:04 AM #552
      I'm enjoying watching Eric fend off all you hackers

Go Eric!!!!

Sincerely,
      -recovering hacker.
      bang reggae music

06-23-2012 07:33 AM #553
      Eric's car is red.
      '80 Scirocco | 2014 X3 xDr28i | 2014 328i GT

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI 130, 964 Carrera 2
      06-23-2012 08:15 AM #554
      He let us win the handbrake discussion, lets let this one slide his way.
      Scirocco inventory currently at 1% and holding.

the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      06-23-2012 09:26 AM #555
      That's why I say 35w hid..... There I said it!

No relays on mine, and all is well!
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

31. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      C123
      06-23-2012 12:14 PM #556
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post
      I initially hooked them up like a mk2, and weird things started happening, like the center lights glowing and such things.
      Same thing happened to me when I relayed the lights on my 80.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

Vehicles
      things broken
      06-23-2012 12:21 PM #557
      Quote Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
      He let us win the handbrake discussion, lets let this one slide his way.
      Good plan.

I'm looking forward to the grille fabrication.
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

33. Member
      Vehicles
      06-23-2012 03:37 PM #558
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post

I'm looking forward to the grille fabrication.
      Me too, but it'll probably be one of the last things to do.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      06-23-2012 09:10 PM #559
      Dang it I hate it when I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and Eric didn't add new pictures.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      06-23-2012 10:41 PM #560
      We're on vacation, no work

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast