Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet my red-headed stepchild!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      03-14-2012 09:05 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by nickbukowy View Post
      i hate finding rust in hidden areas
      Me too, but I was bracing myself for worse because it's a Midwest car.

I do need some sheetmetal though:

Hood
      Cowl patch (no rot, but a hood latch failure bent the driver corner badly)
      Lower driver fender
      Both rear arches
      Both rear inner arches?

All of these parts could be patched, but I would prefer stamped stuff.

Now, this is the part where I have to eat Crow (I can hear the snickering already...):

I see people obtaining new metal, and I see people cutting off parts of shells for each other, but I didn't pay any attention to sources, because I'm a cocky Bastard and figured a rusty car would never find its way here (*infer apology* that's the best I can do ).

Help!

Vehicles
      Current = 2008 GTI & rusty '95 suburban
      03-14-2012 11:30 AM #37

Vehicles
      1985 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
      03-14-2012 02:11 PM #38
      Yeah, I got to fix the little rust spots on the inside on the fender well on the back driver side, but I can't get any wire wheels back there, so I'm going to use this stuff that you put on rust and it stops it dead in it's tracks, a good friend of mine used it on a couple of his muscle cars years back and hasn't had any problems since

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2012 02:30 PM #39
      Sounds like you're luckier than me, I need new metal.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the source.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2012 08:29 PM #40
      Big day tomorrow as I start to remove the mechanicals.

Today I organized the spaces into which I'll store everything. I'm trying to do this in a way that doesn't disrupt the flow of daily life around here, and doing the whole car at once (as opposed to rolling restorations) sure takes a lot of space!

I also did a little work on the car, the steering column and relay panel are out, and I organized and tagged all the harnesses:

So now the interior is almost done being stripped. The electricals are so tangled that I won't be able to pull them out until the engine bay is also cleared. My hope (fantasy?) is the do the electrical sytem a bit neater than VW did it, I mean sheesh, what a mess!

I started a bit in the engine bay too. The fan shroud appears to be from an 8V car, it's quite a bit narrower than the radiator and it was only anchored on one side Oh well, I guess a PO did what it took to keep the car running, kudos for that

The battery tray is perfect, meaning that unless the underside of the car surprises me, the rear arches and the one fender are the only bad spot on the car:

Well those and the hood and this damaged area of the cowl, from an apparent latch failure:

More to come

Vehicles
      things broken
      03-14-2012 11:29 PM #41
      Eric, this is the source I see most frequently for sheet metal:

http://www.klokkerholmusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

A brief look around showed me no Scirocco-specific parts, but I suppose that depends on what stampings were used amongst the Mk1s. Either that or my poor reading and website navigation skills failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2012 08:55 AM #42
      Woo boy...

That's the site I've seen mentioned, but a search for "Scirocco" yielded no results. Zero. Nada. None

I'm beginning to get concerned...

Any of my problem areas could be reconstructed, but even a great metal worker (which I'm not), would end up using some filler, which y'all may have surmised by now, I don't like...

Hopefully there's a good skin donor out there somewhere.

Vehicles
      81 Rocco,80 Rocco track, 81 Rocco Haldex twin charge Berg cup project, 84 Mk1 Jetta coupe
      03-15-2012 09:12 AM #43
      I know its a pain, but if you can brush up on your German, (or use babelfish)
      You can get some nice parts out of Germany...
      Shipping might be a bit costly, but these are the Shizz, for body repair sheetmetal...

Browse through that store, or use e-bay.de with babelfish translator

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEU-Kotflugel...item256ddb61ac

Vehicles
      C123
      03-15-2012 10:19 AM #44
      I have a good used drivers side quarter panel if you need it. The problem is getting it from here to there.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      03-15-2012 11:29 AM #45
      New Project! Happy day for us spectators!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2012 04:33 PM #46
      @ Fred: My wife's a Kraut so maybe she can help me. Unfortunately her car vocabulary is limited even in english (anything drivetrain is "engine", all glass is "window" )...

@ Chris: Cincy maybe?

@ Jake: I see you lurk here as well, hope to make this one entertaining for all

Today I'm keeping it short, it's beautiful out and I wanna goof off with the boys. I did get the suspension and exhaust off, and the tank out:

The bottom looks pretty good:

The only rot was where part of the fuel system rubbe the trunk floor for 25 years, it's not near any edges so another piece of red Duct Tape and it should be good as new :

Adios

12. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      C123
      03-15-2012 05:48 PM #47
      I intend to be there, and I can bring it along if it'll fit in the back of a Mk1. We shall see.
      Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Manta A|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L
      =====>last.fm<=====|MusicGourmets.com

Vehicles
      several VW Sciroccos and a RHD '54 MG TF 1250
      03-16-2012 12:03 AM #48
      I like your approach to restoring this S2 16v, by dismantling it entirely

looking forward to seeing the reassembly process of this Scirocco
      Pura Vida

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI 130, 964 Carrera 2
      03-16-2012 01:05 AM #49
      The always too far away to be usefull Swede stands up and waves his hand.....

Klokkerholm is a Danish company that also has a facility here in Sweden. I'll see what I can dig up in part numbers and information for you.

/ Mats
      Scirocco inventory currently at 1% and holding.

Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI 130, 964 Carrera 2
      03-16-2012 01:10 AM #50
      Mk2 Rear corners:
      http://www.klokkerholm.com/xProductC...&Group=1612346

Sadly that seems to be it for the mk2, for the mk1 they list heaps of stuff:

http://www.klokkerholm.com/xProductC...?Group=1612276

Shouldn't be undoable to find a shell to cut the wanted parts from tho.
      Scirocco inventory currently at 1% and holding.

the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2012 05:23 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by California 16v View Post
      I like your approach to restoring this S2 16v, by dismantling it entirely
      Thank you sir I'm not sure where I'm going with this thing, but start with a shiny clean shell seems like a decent short term goal.

As for the sheetmetal, we'll just have to see how it all pans out. Worst case scenario I know a good metal worker, but if I use him I'll consider that a sign a weakness .

Today I continued stripping the car, but I had to cut short for a school fundraiser.

The tank has a leak from some rust at the pinch weld, I don't know if I'll split the halves and restore them or buy a new tank:

I drained all the fluids and was pleased at the appearance of the coolant:

Overall the engine is very dry , only the final drive seals are leaking. I haven't cleaned anything at this point:

The metering plate looked like this, no wiping:

The throttle body had a little oil in it, not too bad:

Here's where I'm at now, hopefully get the rest out tomorrow:

Edit: at first I assumed the engine was spent and I'd have to rebuild it, but it looks good and I'm wondering if at 181000 miles, maybe somebody got to it already? I can tell from incorrect fasteners and such that it has been out of the car before. I'll run a compression test and then decide what to do. The gear oil also looks good, so maybe I'll just replace all the seals without splitting the case open, I haven't decided yet.

Happy Friday
      Last edited by echassin; 03-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Forester 1997 LX450 1979 K20 1978 Rabbit 74 Trailduster with a Western Plow
      03-16-2012 05:54 PM #52
      Took a walk around the junk yard today.

They had a MKII Scirocco there last fall with a clean body, though I would see if it was still around.

It's still there but in sad shape, a few to many moves with the fork lift I think. Body is now pretty beat up
      , to the point that the roof is buckled.

I'll keep my eyes open for others, you carry on with the OCD restoration.

Vehicles
      Stingray
      03-16-2012 06:50 PM #53
      The only rot was where part of the fuel system rubbe the trunk floor for 25 years.

Adios

Der auto ist rot.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2012 08:59 PM #54
      [QUOTE=PoorHouse;76439622I'll keep my eyes open for others[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir

Today I got a bunch more stuff off the car, engine out:

I had to cut one of the bolts :

Compression test results, no oil in the pan: 155, 140 (150 with a suirt of oil in the cylinder), 155, 155. A mechanic friend said "clean it, paint it, and put it back in". Obviously I will put new seals, clutch, water pump, timing belt, etc... but I agree with him unless y'all have overwhelming evidence that this is a bad idea:

I got the front end cleared of everything:

I got the firewall mostly cleared, what mess! I started organizing and labelling the engine bay harnesses so they'll come through the firewall holes:

Pedals and various cables and hoses out:

All that remains on the car is are the harnesses, the exhaust heat shield, the brake and fuel lines, and the sunroof. I'll do the harnesses, heat shield and the sunroof with the car as is, and the hard lines with the car on its side.

Adios

Vehicles
      81 Rocco,80 Rocco track, 81 Rocco Haldex twin charge Berg cup project, 84 Mk1 Jetta coupe
      03-17-2012 09:10 PM #55
      Eric, I remember this quote from you:
      You, my friend are at that point too

Quote, originally posted by fredybender »

This type of pic is always my favorite. Getting a car stripped to this point, it's staggering to even think about it all, for those of us who have never done it.

03-17-2012 09:24 PM #56
      Factory roof in this hog?
      '80 Scirocco | 2014 X3 xDr28i | 2014 328i GT

Vehicles
      Stingray
      03-17-2012 10:16 PM #57
      Compression test results, no oil in the pan: 155, 140 (150 with a suirt of oil in the cylinder), 155, 155. A mechanic friend said "clean it, paint it, and put it back in". Obviously I will put new seals, clutch, water pump, timing belt, etc... but I agree with him unless y'all have overwhelming evidence that this is a bad idea:

If you are going this far with this car, taking the motor apart and having new bearings, rings and oil pump is not that much more money. You can have the block hot tanked, and painted. Lap the valves and making sure everything is good and within specs.
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 10:10 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bee View Post
      Factory roof in this hog?
      Yessir.

@Marc: your point is the logical counterpoint to my current preference. I'm leaving both as options depending on how things go.

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-18-2012 11:27 AM #59
      Yessir.

@Marc: your point is the logical counterpoint to my current preference. I'm leaving both as options depending on how things go.
      In my experience, with a project of this level, usually the one thing you try and skip doing will bite you in the but.

I would say stuff like bushings, seals etc all need to go new and it is much better to refresh the motor inside and out while it is out.

It would suck to put it all in and then need to rip it apart shortly after.

Misspelled by my iPhone using Slaptalk!
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 03:03 PM #60
      The boys had some friends here for a sleep over and I made a nice big breakfast for them, plus I'm having company over for a BBQ, but I was able to get more stuff off the car. Now the only thing that remains is the sunroof, which is fairly clean work that I'll do during the week after work.

Speaking of work, some people wonder how I get grubby at home, but then get clean to do surgery. The trick is Kevlar gloves that I use in the O.R. to keep from cutting myself. When I'm working on the cars, I wear a layer of latex, and the Kevlar keeps the latex from ripping. Here's my hands at the end of the day yesterday, before washing them. You can see how dirty the Kevlar gets:

Anyhoo, here's the wiring out and organized:

The shell is pretty empty by now:

Heat shield is off and I was able to snake off the hard lines too:

Fuel pump bracket; I'll just throw some black paint on it and call it good :

Anyone know what this is? It was sitting up by the firewall in the engine bay . at first I thought it was a golf tee, but it's hollow:

Next is the sunroof, and then it's time to rig up a tiptissory

26. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 03:19 PM #61
      Speaking of work, some people wonder how I get grubby at home, but then get clean to do surgery. The trick is Kevlar gloves that I use in the O.R. to keep from cutting myself. When I'm working on the cars, I wear a layer of latex, and the Kevlar keeps the latex from ripping. Here's my hands at the end of the day yesterday, before washing them. You can see how dirty the Kevlar gets:

We are going to need a group buy on the kevlar gloves.

Do you have a blast cabinet for the little pieces?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 07:40 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

Do you have a blast cabinet for the little pieces?
      Yes, but if I blast that fuel pump bracket, it will vanish

Hey, if y'all have ever wondered: a bare mk2 shell weighs 500 lbs We weighed it using a bathroom scale under the corners and added it up.

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Scala i
      03-18-2012 09:00 PM #63
      Anyone know what this is? It was sitting up by the firewall in the engine bay . at first I thought it was a golf tee, but it's hollow:

Looks like part of the bonnet release.

See post #8

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/...etails-diagram

Vehicles
      03-18-2012 09:20 PM #64
      Yes, but if I blast that fuel pump bracket, it will vanish

Hey, if y'all have ever wondered: a bare mk2 shell weighs 500 lbs We weighed it using a bathroom scale under the corners and added it up.
      Hehehe...
      Did you know a Mk1 weighted 360lbs
      Thats 38% lighter...

Hats off to you Eric, for taking this on, I really hope you're having as much fun doing it, as I am watching you, doing it

Vehicles
      Stingray
      03-18-2012 09:32 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by fredybender View Post
      Hehehe...
      Did you know a Mk1 weighted 360lbs
      Thats 38% lighter...
      A kitted MK2 has less drag than a mk1, so it can get a higher top speed!

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      03-18-2012 09:39 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
      Looks like part of the bonnet release.

See post #8

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/...etails-diagram
      Yep. Here's the pic from the post:

32. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 09:48 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTimob View Post
      Yep. Here's the pic from the post:

Yep, it was indeed missing off the cable, thanks

Fred, yours and a few others on Vortex are the inspiration for me trying this. It's been fun so far because for decades I've fixed A1 VWs, even rebuilt a few gearboxes. But I've never started with a bare shell and added each bit back to it one by one, I'm looking forward to that

Vehicles
      03-18-2012 10:16 PM #68
      Eric: I just might end up at your house just for sh!its & giggles to help you wrench out!
      I also hope, and wish you "pace" to help you, and your family, get through this.
      Never loose the "pace" : have up & down swings, to take care of the real stuff, not the "German stuff", although I am a vivid fan, of "get it done"

I am looking forward of seeing you again at Cincy!

PS: this thread is Epic !

34. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 11:09 PM #69
      Don't worry, for years I was a super-busy surgeon but I got burned out, and now I only accept about 1/4 of the work I used to, it's the best choice I've ever made.

I sleep 8 hours every night, do all my chores, and have plenty of free time while the boys are at school, and when my wife is sick of having me underfoot and grabbing her a$$ .

I don't work long hours on my various projects, nor do I rush, nothing magic, but a few hours every single day adds up fast.

I will be at Cincy, but with the GTI, er Kia .

Anyone is welcome to come visit. Jim and Timbo have stopped by

Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon
      03-18-2012 11:11 PM #70
      VW's the older the better
      http://www.4everkustoms.com/ <=THE BEST
      BUY MY PARTS MKII MOSTLY
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post82154097

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast