I ended up stitching the first beam because I could only blow a small part of the seam clean, weld a bit before the Cosmoline ran out again.
I just finished the second beam and I used a heat gun ahead of time to melt the Cosmoline and make it all run out:
The steel is a bit thicker than stock, and it's carved from a square tube so it has rounded edges, I tacked and welded the ends first:
Then I tacked the edges and ran welds in between the tacks, this time with a more satisfactory appearance before grinding:
Finished top weld before grinding:
Top weld groud and finished bottom weld:
(You can see the rear weld didn't penetrate well, it broke, and i had to redo it)
Finished beam with hole completed:
I also threw another coat of black on the engine block, it was too thin in some places. I like it thin so it doesn't tend to peel, but I could see some of the primer tint:
Tomorrow I'll fix the rear of the exhaust tunnel and maybe start on that rear shock tower.