Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet my red-headed stepchild!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      03-25-2012 09:45 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by ziggirocco View Post
      How did you redo the angle on the lip?
      I just used pliers, but I did scratch a reference line into the metal first, and I used a straight edge to check and tweak the results.

The back straightened:

The boys are on Spring Break, so I wasted no time putting one of them to work, as he hasn't yet worked off this month's rent :

The undercoating on this car isn't very tough, so a heat gun and a spatula makes it fall off in sheets, good news after what I went through to get it off the other cars:

And after a good scrub, the driver floor pan is clean:

The other good news is that the jack points are in PERFECT condition, namely because they've never been used . Unfortunately you can see that improper jacking over the years has really caved in the floors. However, I have a plan:

Many people who know us think I'm nice to my wife because I love her, but it's actually because her older brother is big.

No, I mean REALLY big. And not jiggly big. I mean skull-crushing-with-one-hand big. I think it's Viking genes or something.

So I'm hoping to woo him over here with some brats and beer and have him stand in the windshield opening and jump up and down on those floors to get them back down. If you've ever seen one of his shoes you'll see that my plan is fool-proof. But if needed, I'll cut out the worst part of the floor beams to make it easier; they're so mangled it might be better to remake them anyways.

Anyhoo, various things going on this coming week, but I'll try to get more srubbing done during down time.

Carry on
      Last edited by echassin; 03-25-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Vehicles
      02 jetta wagon 82 caddy and a 59 beetle
      03-25-2012 10:10 PM #102
      WOW...glad to see you picked up another toy. this new thread has been an enjoyable read. damn, you work quickly. love the basement wall art pic. maybe Chris and I can come up for the show this summer. looks like it might be done by then. nice work as always. keep the pics coming.

Drew

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      03-25-2012 10:20 PM #103
      You can also lay down some of the factory undepadding and use a large sledge hammer, I have done it in the past and worked out fine, that is if your b-in-law decides not to come by!

Misspelled by my iPhone using Slaptalk!
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI 130, 964 Carrera 2
      03-26-2012 01:00 PM #104
      Eric, get yourself a slide hammer and you should be able to work even the worst dents out, I did on the floor of my Mk1, worked like a charm.
      Scirocco inventory currently at 1% and holding.

Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-26-2012 07:59 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
      Eric, get yourself a slide hammer and you should be able to work even the worst dents out, I did on the floor of my Mk1, worked like a charm.
      I have one, but I don't have a stud gun and I'd rather not drill a bunch of holes in the floor, unless there's another trick?

Today I did a fair amount of work. First up was the engine mount bolt I had to cut to remove the engine. I was able to pry open the retainer, remove the detritus, and slide in a good replacement:

Sliding action, check,

down:

up:

Then I did more undercoating removal:

The K bar did its job well, no cracks even with 180,000+ miles:

Some rust,

Rear of the floor where the tank rests:

I think the tank was rubbing here, two little holes under the trunk:

Rear beam mounts are perfect:

I also scraped most of the undercoating off the trunk floor, I'll wash the rest off tomorrow as well as start on the engine bay. Once the shell is clean I'll start cutting and welding.

Last edited by echassin; 03-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Vehicles
      [OO==w==OO]
      03-26-2012 08:48 PM #106
      Eric you are a maniac. And this thread is proof that you have "the 'itis'" lol. Good for you getting the kids involved too...I'm calling CPS as I type this.
      Red Leader - Team Infidel
      The Price of 7reedom is the Willingness 2 do Sudden Battle Anywhere, Anytime an6 With Utter Recklessness
      -Heinlein

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 12:26 AM #107
      For not so sharp dents you can tackweld a threaded nut onto the dent and then pull with a bolt attached to the slide hammer. I did that on mine, not sure if your hammer came with a threaded tool attachment thingie?

the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2012 12:24 AM #108
      Good idea

More cleaning today:

Under the trunk:

Core support. This was all black with undercoating, I'm really proud of how clean I got it:

These rust spots are way up in the core support. You'd never be able to discern them without removing every speck of grime:

Started the bay:

Hopefully finish the bay tomorrow and straighten the floors, then clean the other two wheelwells Thursday or Friday.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2012 11:24 PM #109
      More cleaning today and close examination of the shell.

Engine bay done:

Both front wheelwells and 1.5 rear wheelwells done:

I've been looking closely at this shell as I work on it, and mostly it's solid and a great starting point. I did find two stress cracks near the passenger side engine mount which I'll need to MIG shut.

They're at the tips of the blue tape arrows:

Tomorrow I'll finish the last wheelwell and work on the other passenger side pinch welds, and do some general tidying.

Night night

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 12:06 AM #110
      the Rocc-Doc....he exists!

Beautiful work, I'm awsomely impressed each time I read this thread.

Vehicles
      1985 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition
      03-29-2012 12:16 AM #111
      wow

you sure do work fast man, kinda getting me motivated to start working on the body again, but it's to dam cold to do anything, and the weather has been really weird
      one day it's some what nice, then the next its raining or snowing

I can't wait till it finally warms up a bit so I can finish the last little bit of body work

Vehicles
      1980 Scirocco and a few new BMWs
      03-29-2012 06:58 AM #112
      Eric, what are you using for cleaner?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 09:33 AM #113
      Thanks for the compliments

@ Mike: For the thick undercoating, a heat gun on high and some gentle teasing with a spatula had the stuff falling off in sheets. For thin undercoating, heat and wiping did the trick. For grease or grime, I used gasoline and stiff brushes of various shapes and sizes (garage doors open for fresh air). An old tarp protected the floor.

The whole car consumed two gallons of gasoline, three rolls of paper towels and ruined a handful of brushes, so a total of 10 to 20 dollars

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      03-29-2012 10:26 AM #114
      So what's the actual plan here? Spot rust treatment or something else? You are doing a great job but it would seem that the next step would be to get the car to "bare metal" when doing a restoration, though not sure what your final goal is besides "stupid clean!"

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 03:41 PM #115
      First off, let me admit that my plan will not be for everyone .

My goal is to daily a durable car that is as simple as a Mk1. The fact that it is a 16V is of little consequence to me the way I drive, and it's staying because it's what it came with and it runs.

Any areas where the factory finishes have stood the test of time will be preserved. Any surface rust will be blasted and refinished appropriately. Any rot or ruined metal will be cut out and good metal welded in, followed by spot finishing.

The interior has good paint that will not be redone except for touchups.

The bottom of the car will get a mist coat of red, enough to provide color, but not so much that it could peel.

The engine bay will get retouched as needed, but likely not a respray, so I don't have to worry about prepping the hard to reach areas, especially if they're still healthy.

The body will be sanded down to metal only for the left quarter, which has had previous repairs that I don't trust. The rest of the shell will be sanded, sealed, and resprayed original color.

With the car on its side, a good tank, undercar lines, fuel pump, accumulator, bare rear beam and pedals/rack/steering column will be installed, the car flipped flat and the tiptisserie removed. The floor beams (?replaced), bumper mount channels, and rear arch repairs will get a spray of cosmoline.

The HVAC and optimized harnesses will go in, followed by the engine and gearbox, CIS etc... and the car will get a test start. The engine will run without oil cooler and with an early non-overflow radiator. (I drove my Cabby for years like that with a turbo and much more power and it was fine).

Then paint and install fenders, doors, hatch, and hood, and kit, all of which need work. The rear arches of the kit will be glued only, no screws, and hopefully no rust source.

Then suspension, brakes, wheels (15" dished Ronal R8's if possible), headliner, sunroof, glass, interior (reupholstered), a good dash, tie up loose ends, and let 'er rip.
      Last edited by echassin; 03-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 03:49 PM #116
      I have to quit early today but was able to finish cleaning the shell and tallying problem areas.

Here's how the shell sits now:

The other front wheelwell:

The passenger rear wheelwell and arch, which need work:

Then I tackled the other pinch rail. Before:

After:

Tomorrow I'll do general cleanup, particularly the interior, which has bit of foam and residual glue everywhere, and I'll check and refurbish the floor and firewall tar paper as needed.

Asta la vista

17. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      03-29-2012 04:06 PM #117
      You sir are a maniac. I mean that in a good way.

Vehicles
      81 S Cirrus
      03-29-2012 04:56 PM #118
      Maniac is about as big an understatement as when Eric says he is just doing "general cleaning".

Eric - when you say "tasty beverages" are you talking Red Bull? Because if someone videoed your work, and then played it, it would probably look like the player was fast forwarding.

I look at my Cirrus Gray beauty in the garage, being restored at a snail's pace, and I am embarassed! Funny - or not - I was going to take tomorrow off specifically to work on my car. Then 15 minutes go, the boss calls a 'group meeting' at 12:00 noon.

Ufck.

Nicely done Eric, I hope to gain some inspiration from this thread.
      A Scirocco is a toy. If it is all perfect, you don't get to play - Doug T.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (son's car now), 85 E30, 87 Alfa Milano (huh?)
      03-29-2012 05:52 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by OorsciroccO View Post
      Maniac is about as big an understatement as when Eric says he is just doing "general cleaning".

Eric - when you say "tasty beverages" are you talking Red Bull? Because if someone videoed your work, and then played it, it would probably look like the player was fast forwarding.

I look at my Cirrus Gray beauty in the garage, being restored at a snail's pace, and I am embarassed! Funny - or not - I was going to take tomorrow off specifically to work on my car. Then 15 minutes go, the boss calls a 'group meeting' at 12:00 noon.

Ufck.

Nicely done Eric, I hope to gain some inspiration from this thread.
      Craig call in sick tomorrow and git your hiney into the garage and work. I need to see some better, more pics of your Cirrus for inspiration.

Eric is a maniac for sure but that's why we love him. Which car are you bringing to Cincy?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 11:29 PM #120
      @Craig: I drink Diet Coke and V8 in equal amounts.

@Pete: I'm driving the GTI to Cincy. All jokes about the fast work aside, this car will take a while because absolutely every part is either spent, broken, crusty, or just plain missing...

...but I wanted a real project with good potential and I'm happy with it.

Vehicles
      Current = 2008 GTI & rusty '95 suburban
      03-30-2012 06:21 AM #121
      Someday I will post something stupid here, but not yet.

Vehicles
      things broken
      03-30-2012 11:18 AM #122
      ...but I wanted a real project with good potential and I'm happy with it.
      And we are happy to keep reading this fine thread.
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

23. Member
      Vehicles
      03-30-2012 04:08 PM #123
      Aw shucks

We're having company for a BBQ but I was able to get some of the "debridement" done (as we call it in my business). The most concerning area was this little hole at the top of the passenger rear shock tower:

It's there because the bracket that holds the gravity valve and vent tubing to the tank's filler hose is designed in such a way that it gets splashed by road salt, yet the Schutz coating they apply at the factory can't cover the bracket thoroughly:

Once the hole forms, water runs down between the inner body sheetmetal and the shock tower, and causes rust you can't see for years because the area is coated with seam sealer and nice red paint.

But the little hole is a harbinger of much worse, and it all has to go:

The repair shouldn't be too hard, and with all the bad metal gone, it should last. I'll redesign the bracket so it doesn't happen again.

Then I cleaned up the rear of the exhaust tunnel, another easy fix:

I only had time to do one arch, and I think I'll redesign how this is made with hopes of a permanent solution knowing that it's under the body kit and won't show:

I think I'll bend the inner skin outward so it meets the outer skin at a 90 degree angle with no double layer of steel where Cosmoline can't reliably flow. That and I'll glue the kit to the arch rather than penetrate the steel with screws, which would guarantee new rust.

Hopefully I'll get the other arch cut tomorrow and work on the floor beams.
      Last edited by echassin; 03-30-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      03-30-2012 04:52 PM #124
      What are you using to cut? It looks like an angry bear came in and nibbled on your rear inner fender!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      03-30-2012 07:56 PM #125
      Cutting wheels big and small. I'm actually very happy with the exposure and rust removal process. More to go, but at least I've seen enough to have a definite plan and know that it's repairable without resorting to "encapsulating" or "converting" a bunch of inaccessible rust and then living with it in denial.

After some big fat burgers, by brother-in-law and I got to work on the floor beams, and I'm satisfied so far, pending some further tweaking and some welding.

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

And finally, the entire driver side beam, even when straight, was about 1" high in the back. The seat mount/crossmember was even tweaked I'm beginning to think the car went over something at some point that pushed up the floor and cross-member, I don't think jacking could have done this.

My brother-in-law had at it using a massive 6 foot long 4x4 protruding from the sunroof, and this is the result:

You can see the floor beams are perfectly parallel to each other. Admittedly this was not a gentle process and there will be some more work to do to make it right.

But a good foundation to work with

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast