I worked in a body shop 30 years ago, but things were very different then. We sprayed lacquer color with lacquer clear over it, all in open air and with siphon feed guns. Very little skill required because everything got wet sanded and polished, and it dried fast so it was easy to fix mistakes, remove a fleck of dirt, etc...
HVLP, hardened enamel, having to be careful of dirt, booths, etc... are all all new to me.
I put on a lot of paint so hopefully there's plenty to wetsand with impunity
Today I took it easy but still got a few things done. The Cosmoline worked great. I made a little fixture so I could aim the tip and slide the tip in or out depending on the need:
The result was gratifying. I filled the beams and got Cosmoline to drip from all the little holes in the beam, even the little one way back behind the hard lines (There's a drip where my finger is pointing):
I also did the arches where I welded the inner skin to the outer skin:
Then, to add a little levity to the day, I made a tag to replace the code tag on the rad support that disintegrated when I removed it. I decided to put the color code on it:
I also painted the rivet underneath to avoid a rust source:
The tag is Lexan with vinyl characters, all painted after rivetting so it looks factory "plausible"
I like it, so that's that.
I think I'll sand and buff over the weekend and I'll check in after that IF I don't need to respray it all