Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Timin belt help

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      85 vw golf 8v
      03-10-2012 10:01 PM #1
      I just installed a new timing belt or should I say I'm trying to. I have a 85 golf I've lined up the mark on top as well as the two on bottom as well, I just can't figured it out could I either get some help or suggestions or links even for like a diy

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      03-10-2012 11:46 PM #2
      What exactly is the problem? At best you should have a Bently manual, at worst a Haynes or Chiltons. Those all show how to do this job.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      85 vw golf 8v
      03-10-2012 11:57 PM #3
      Yeah I have both the crappy books no Bentley just yet. I was just changed out the timing belt, the car turns over just won't start up:/ I have all lines aligned right from the looks of it as well as the dimple and v notch.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      03-11-2012 12:07 AM #4
      Put the flywheel at TDC, check that the notch and dot line up, pull the valve cover and check that the cam is actually at TDC and the dot lines up and pull the dizzy cap to see that the rotor is pointed at the mark on the lip of the dizzy and pointed at the #1 position for the #1 plug wire.

The cam should have both lobes pointed up at about a 45* angle.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      89 cabby/91240sx
      05-02-2012 01:52 AM #5
      hopping in on this kinda late but my ladies cabbie with a 1.8 broke.... well the adjuster stud gave out and im having a problem get it all back on top dead....

there was no valve damage done....

is there a plate on the tranny to look at flywheel and a mark?

and the cam timing mark? is there one on both sides of the pully? cuz i got one on the side away from the motor on this car and didnt notice a mark but it got dark n ran out of time and help is great

6. 05-02-2012 08:20 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by datnis916 View Post
      and the cam timing mark? is there one on both sides of the pully?
      Perhaps. On my 1984 Rabbit, the intermediate sprocket is interchangeable with the cam sprocket. There is a round dimple on the outside of the sprocket, for the intermediate shaft alignment, but a square notch, or indent, on the inside for when the sprocket is being used for the cam.

The inner mark, whether it be the notch or dimple, lines up with the edge of the valve cover.

The marks are clocked differently, that is, they are not opposite one another on the sprocket.

Some sprockets used a dimple on both sides. My manuals do not show a picture of the notch/indent, so it can be hard to locate if you have never seen it before. The notch is just a depression between the sprocket teeth, on the edge of the sprocket.

I don't know what you have, but I thought I would just mention what I have on my car.
      Last edited by chickenfriend; 05-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      89 cabby/91240sx
      05-02-2012 09:52 AM #7
      its a 8 8v and ya idk could be a different sprocket but idk.. its like 6;44 in the morn got to go to dentist n then gonna go work on it i swear my cam marks on the out side but ill check it in a bit

8. Member
      05-02-2012 11:27 AM #8
      To find the flywheel marking(s) for static timing (engine not running) it really helps to remove the entire plug from the bell housing. (It simply screws out.) You can use a tool in the center or simply grab the outside of the plastic plug with some larger channel locks. I made my own tool with a piece of oak but later found out that the alternator/lug nut wrench from an old air cooled beatle worked just perfectly. The TDC mark on the flywheel varied over the years as did the dynamic tyming notch.

Removing the valve cover is another easy way to get a view -- the valve lobes on #1 should be pointed up like bunny ears.

The distributor has a line in the outside rim -- you have to remove the cap to see it. The rotor should point at the line for static timing.

To set the dynamic timing (with the engine running) you will need a timing light and you will need to follow the procedure outlined in your manuals. FR

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      89 cabby/91240sx
      05-02-2012 03:01 PM #9
      thx... ya i know all that was jst having problem with cam pulley

i found the right mark on the cam pull. lined it up lined the intermediate gear and timing marks up. checked for cylinder height slipped belt on the belt and "hahha" i used a watch back remover tool to tighten my pulley. i didn't have time to make one this morn and nobody had one in town but i got it running and ear timed it and off she went...

thx for the help

o and i didnt see a inspection plate its a 5speed tranny and the only part i think it would be its bolted in between the block and trans