Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: im getting a chugging just above idle, need help

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      03-11-2012 12:09 AM #1
      Ok so here's the deal I have an obd1 aba block in my mark 2 running obd2 . I am getting no codes , but I am getting a chugging just about 1000 rmps about 1150 to 1300 , know when I moved to Colorado I re timed the car and its been running great all of a sudden last night this started , thought it might be bad gas so I tossed in some HEET and bought different gas. It still happening , when I got here the car bogged down right off the line , this isn't like that . I'm checking timing tomorrow but does anyone else think they may know the issue?

Ps only does it when in gear.
      Last edited by T-redmk2ABA; 03-11-2012 at 12:17 AM.
      if you can't find mk2 parts PM me I can find whatever you need
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

Vehicles
      1981 Rabbit Conv, 1995 GTI
      03-11-2012 09:19 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by T-redmk2ABA View Post
      Ok so here's the deal I have an obd1 aba block in my mark 2 running obd2 . I am getting no codes , but I am getting a chugging just about 1000 rmps about 1150 to 1300 , know when I moved to Colorado I re timed the car and its been running great all of a sudden last night this started , thought it might be bad gas so I tossed in some HEET and bought different gas. It still happening , when I got here the car bogged down right off the line , this isn't like that . I'm checking timing tomorrow but does anyone else think they may know the issue?

Ps only does it when in gear.
      wet down the ignition wires (while engine is running) at night and check for any spark jumping.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      03-11-2012 12:47 PM #3
      I have had bad wires before and that always sets off a miss fire code , and I don't hear any arcing , plus I just replaced them.
      I also make custom parts like grilles PM me with what you would want ie integrated aftermarket fogs and such like that

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      03-11-2012 12:52 PM #4
      It feels like timing is off .... but I just retimed the damn thing two weeks ago.

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      03-11-2012 07:05 PM #5
      It was timing , someone at some in the 15 years before I got this motor helicoiled the tensioner stud and the helicoil was starting to pull out causing me to loose torque on the tensioner and slowly loose timing ,half of the hole was helicoiled so I tapped it to clean the rest of the threads and re helicoiled it but this time I jb welded the helicoil I place ,

Issue fixed moderators can delete thread

Vehicles
      90 GLi wolfsberg ABA
      03-12-2012 11:43 PM #6
      So actually it was never helicoiled it just pulled the threads out in a way that looked like it , so here is what the issue is . When shine racing service did the 3 angle and assembly on my head that out jb the tensioner stud , the problem they put in the stud backwards , by that I mean the side with less threads that should be on the side of the tensoiner with the bolt was actually in the head , witch ment I had a half inch of thread not in the head that should have been there . I understand the way they could have made this mistake cause the pich on both sides is m10x1.5 but still ...