Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Of Thrones Season 2 !

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      04-10-2012 02:55 PM #71
      300 was on tv the other night, my fiance and I both agree on a good point.

Lena Headey is so gorgeous in that, total sex symbol

in this, not at all IMO.

examples:

c.b.s.

Contact me if you have VCDS requests in New England (2006+ only)

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-16-2012 10:30 AM #72
      Now it's picking up!

Really good 3rd episode. It's really starting to hit me just how hard it is to fit the whole book into 10 episodes.

The scene with Loras, Renly, and then Margaery was a good addition. It spells out things only implied in the book, and it gives Renly some much needed screen time. Speaking as a non-gay though, it's really awkward seeing two guys in bed like that, and Loras acting like a jealous woman. I guess it goes to show that even with a proliferation of gay characters and relationships in movies or TV shows, real portrayals of displays of affection are still something I'm not used to seeing.

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      04-16-2012 12:05 PM #73
      I reeeeeeally didn't need to see those two making out. Gross.

I'm enjoying the show, but the jury is still out for me w/re to the changes. Margaery is a bit more naive, or at least subtle, on the page. And Theon is a far more sympathetic character on the show. The betrayal was supposed to be his idea the whole time. This crisis of conscience he's having a new.

Interesting... I guess Martin is still on-set making sure that everything is according to his vision, but I can see some different conclusions coming up based on the deviations in the story.

http://gawker.com/5902076/snl-explai...ame-of-thrones

Rest easy, Bart.

4. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-16-2012 12:33 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by J-J-Jetta View Post
      300 was on tv the other night, my fiance and I both agree on a good point.

Lena Headey is so gorgeous in that, total sex symbol

in this, not at all IMO.
      Whoah...no kidding.

Which is strange because she's usually got quite a bit of sexiness going on.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-16-2012 12:41 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I reeeeeeally didn't need to see those two making out. Gross.

I'm enjoying the show, but the jury is still out for me w/re to the changes. Margaery is a bit more naive, or at least subtle, on the page. And Theon is a far more sympathetic character on the show. The betrayal was supposed to be his idea the whole time. This crisis of conscience he's having a new.

Interesting... I guess Martin is still on-set making sure that everything is according to his vision, but I can see some different conclusions coming up based on the deviations in the story.

http://gawker.com/5902076/snl-explai...ame-of-thrones

Good ol SNL.

I actually liked the fleshing out of Theon's reasons for betraying Robb. You could definitely feel the agonizing choice he faced, and the quest for his father's approval. I'd talk more about why I like it, but I don't want to go too into detail about the book in this thread.

Also, because we never specifically saw this interaction between Renly and Margaery in the book, her not being subtle with him works, because it also removes the subtleties that were apparent to the reader, but not necessarily spoken, much like showing the Renly/Loras relationship rather than implying it.

Frankly, I think that's what I love about seeing the show overall on top of reading the books. We're getting to see first-hand interactions and events that were glossed over or relayed third-party in the books. Gives me a lot to look forward to each week, even when I know how this season will end

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      04-16-2012 01:31 PM #76
      "I hate cross bows, they take too long to reload". That was bad ass, reminded me of the scene in Gladiator where Russel Crowe says, "The frost, sometimes it makes the blade stick".

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      04-16-2012 01:57 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      "I hate cross bows, they take too long to reload". That was bad ass
      Yeah, that was pretty awesome.

Great episode over all. Can't wait for next weeks episode.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

8. 04-17-2012 11:57 AM #78
      "I hate cross bows, they take too long to reload". That was bad ass, reminded me of the scene in Gladiator where Russel Crowe says, "The frost, sometimes it makes the blade stick".
      That, and "you don't drink it for the taste" I thought was mildly funny too. Yoren was a badass though.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-17-2012 11:27 PM #79
      Great episode and I liked how the Renly-Loras-Margaery love triangle plays out on TV.

I'm also ok with Theon being portrayed as a more sympathetic character. I think it makes more sense, especially considering his father gave him up and his feelings for his father would likely be far more complex than those portrayed in Clash.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDi, BMW S1000R, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Brodozed Tacoma
      04-18-2012 09:27 AM #80
      I feel like I missed something (watched the 2nd episode with a severe flu). Could somebody give tell me who Renly,Loras, and Margaery are and when/if they first appeared in the show?

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 09:44 AM #81
      Renly is one of the kings. He was in the first season and warned Ned Stark not to trust the Lannisters and pledged him 100 swords to remove Joffrey as king. He is the late King Robert's youngest brother.

Loras was in the first season as well. He's the Knight of Flowers. He was in the episode where he was nearly killed by the supremely raging Gregor Clegane at the tournament. Gregor was the big bastard that killed his horse.

Margaery is from House Tyrell, a very wealthy and powerful house. She knows that Renly is not straight (much more subtle in the book) and has a thing for her brother. I'm nearly certain she didn't appear in the first season.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-18-2012 10:02 AM #82
      This was Margaery's first appearance in the show. Renly Baratheon is the late King Robert's younger brother, who was too young to participate in Robert's rebellion. Loras Tyrell, aka "The Knight of Flowers," is Renly's lover.

Renly was introduced in the scenes with the King's small council last year, where he has a seat. Loras was introduced at the tournament to honor Ned Stark for his appointment as King's Hand. In the show, they showed him planting a seed in Renly's head that Renly should be King. When Robert died, Renly tried to get Ned Stark to assist him with claiming the throne before Cersei could seize control, but Ned and his honor refused. Then Renly left the city, proclaimed himself King, and started making political alliances by marrying Margaery Tyrell, Loras' sister.

I really should refresh tabs before hitting respond, lol...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDi, BMW S1000R, Suzuki DRZ400SM, Brodozed Tacoma
      04-18-2012 10:17 AM #83
      Awesome, thanks guys, that clears it up. I guess reading the books might be in order.

A common complaint with the last HBO show I was enthralled with, the Wire, was that there were too many characters to follow. I had no problem with that series, but I'll be damned if I know who half the people are in GOT.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-18-2012 10:19 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schmidt View Post
      Awesome, thanks guys, that clears it up. I guess reading the books might be in order.

A common complaint with the last HBO show I was enthralled with, the Wire, was that there were too many characters to follow. I had no problem with that series, but I'll be damned if I know who half the people are in GOT.
      It's only going to get worse...

Well, maybe it all evens out...

Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat Wagon 2.0t
      04-18-2012 11:31 AM #85
      this show needs some of vh1's pop-up video treatment ....especially for characters like stanis. i have no idea where he came from, but all of a sudden he's another king with a formidable army thats now backed by pirates and that red sorcerer lady. where was he during the events of season one?
      bazinga!

psn: dorifto13

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      04-18-2012 11:44 AM #86
      Stanis was not in season 1, just mentioned. He is the other brother of Renly and the late King Robert.

There was a good Game of Thrones character map posted in the season 1 thread that I still look at. The HBO website has one that they keep updating after each show..

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 11:49 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      It's only going to get worse...

Well, maybe it all evens out...
      Ain't that the truth.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-18-2012 11:55 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by dorifto View Post
      this show needs some of vh1's pop-up video treatment ....especially for characters like stanis. i have no idea where he came from, but all of a sudden he's another king with a formidable army thats now backed by pirates and that red sorcerer lady. where was he during the events of season one?
      The books are full of subtle mentions of things that become big plot points later on. Generally, the show's been good about making those plot points explicit rather than subtle in order to stage for later on (Loras/Renly as lovers, for one).

Stannis was one that was left subtle, likely to avoid casting another actor and introducing another face in the first season. He found out about the Cersei/Jaime incest from the former hand of the king, and returned to the island castle Dragonstone, a former Targaeryan stronghold, that Robert had made him lord of. I forget if the precise reason he left was ever mentioned. His name came up a few times when Ned was researching Robert's bastards and uncovering the truth of Jon Arryn's death, and later when Ned concluded that Stannis was the rightful King following Robert's death.

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 12:01 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      Stanis was not in season 1, just mentioned. He is the other brother of Renly and the late King Robert.

There was a good Game of Thrones character map posted in the season 1 thread that I still look at. The HBO website has one that they keep updating after each show..
      i actually knew who stanis was. my question is where the hell was he during season 1? so many things happened last season but he was nowhere to be found. but now hes suddenly the next rightful heir to the throne.

thanks for the tip on hbo's site. ill have to check that out.
      bazinga!

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      04-18-2012 12:39 PM #90
      I just noticed now that Bean is gone, Peter Dinklage gets top billing in the intro credits. Good for him as Tyrion is easily my favorite character on the show.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-18-2012 01:02 PM #91
      I guess winning a Golden Globe will do that!

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 02:34 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Peter Dinklage gets top billing in the intro credits. Good for him as Tyrion is easily my favorite character on the show.
      Agreed. Also, I like Arya as well.
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 03:44 PM #93
      i actually knew who stanis was. my question is where the hell was he during season 1? so many things happened last season but he was nowhere to be found. but now hes suddenly the next rightful heir to the throne.

thanks for the tip on hbo's site. ill have to check that out.
      He's mentioned a few times in the first book and likely the first season of the show. Robert and Renly are the extroverts and cool guys of the Baratheon family and Stannis is the "there's one in every family" sourpuss. The reason he's the Lord of Dragonstone and not in King's Landing is because he is a douche and nobody really likes him. He's tough as Hell and rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Hell, Davos, the guy that kept him alive when Dragonstone was under siege had his fingers chopped off at Stannis's behest because he was a smuggler.

Also, there wasn't much of a reason to mention Stannis until the incest stuff and King Robert's death.

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 07:23 PM #94
      got it. so hes basically just a d-bag nobody likes. works for me. thanks!

i was just on hbo's site, and theres so much depth about each character, and all the different houses, etc. so for those who havent read the book or are not planning to (like myself), then i suggest you check it out.
      bazinga!

25. 04-22-2012 10:57 PM #95
      Wow, that ending....

Tyrion Lannister gets better and better every episode. And Bronn is hilarious "there's no cure for being a ****."

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      04-23-2012 12:37 AM #96
      Literally a "monster queef"!
      Rest easy, Bart.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      04-23-2012 11:51 AM #97
      Tyrion and Bronn really do get the best lines

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      04-23-2012 12:05 PM #98
      Opening and closing scenes kicked much ass.

Vehicles
      MK6 JSW 2.5L
      04-23-2012 12:10 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      Wow, that ending....

Tyrion Lannister gets better and better every episode.
      yeah I agree.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 01:12 PM #100
      tyrion is a bada$$

i have a question. but for those who havent seen last night's episode yet, turn away now. SPOILER ALERT!..........about the 'monster queef' how did she give birth so soon? she just did the deed with stannis last episode. i never read the books, but are we supposed to believe that months have passed or is it just one of those magical things?
      bazinga!

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      04-23-2012 01:13 PM #101
      tyrion is a bada$$

i have a question. but for those who havent seen last night's episode yet, turn away now. SPOILER ALERT!..........about the 'monster queef' how did she give birth so soon? she just did the deed with stannis last episode. i never read the books, but are we supposed to believe that months have passed or is it just one of those magical things?
      That wasn't exactly a baby that came out of her.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 01:18 PM #102
      Excellent episode as usual.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

33. Member
      Vehicles
      997.2 C2S
      04-23-2012 02:04 PM #103
      tyrion is a bada$$

Yep, she banged Stannis the night before. Being a sorceress allows one to do some pretty bizarre stuff though.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      04-23-2012 06:29 PM #104
      That wasn't exactly a baby that came out of her.
      Wasn't this "method" used elsewhere before this incident?

Vehicles
      '00 Jolf 1.8T, '02 Jetta 1.8T
      04-24-2012 02:19 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Wasn't this "method" used elsewhere before this incident?
      Sorry, I forgot it could be spoilery.
      Highlight to read.
      In the books, yes. Renly is killed by the shadow thing, but you don't see where it comes from. This particular section takes place a little later in the book to take out someone else. It looks like they are just combining the 2 events.
      Last edited by dashrendar; 04-24-2012 at 02:52 PM.
      |ScArE BeAr MafIa|Low.Life.Society|WetDub|726|XBOX GT:DrNotSoHorrible

Quote Originally Posted by UberDub18t
      Dash invented the double

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast