Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Of Thrones Season 2 !

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      05-04-2012 08:41 AM #141
      12 would probably be good...

I really hope the third season sticks closely to the book. I am REALLY excited for this one!

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      05-04-2012 10:18 AM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post

Before anyone chimes in about the books, I have not read them and have no intentions of reading them so IDNGAF about the books. I have only seen the TV show and am commenting on what I am watching.
      Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but the stuff that's missing is consistent with the books. Robb and Jamie have had more presence in the show than they do in the books up to this point. I know that you're trying to only comment within the context of the screen version, but it has to follow the storyline of the books. They're not mutually exclusive.
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      05-04-2012 11:57 AM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
      Before anyone chimes in about the books, I have not read them and have no intentions of reading them so IDNGAF about the books. I have only seen the TV show and am commenting on what I am watching.
      The books are required reading.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      05-06-2012 08:38 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      12 would probably be good...

I really hope the third season sticks closely to the book. I am REALLY excited for this one!

Never say anything bad about GRRM or he'll kill off another Stark
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Jettasaurus Rex
      05-07-2012 12:12 AM #145
      I know we're not supposed to talk about the books too much, but seriously. Is anyone else constantly frustrated by the small, seemingly pointless changes they make to details in show?

For example: Renly being stabbed through the heart instead of getting his throat cut, Quaithe wearing some sort of luchador mask instead of the black lacquered wooden mask, Jon asking to join Qhorin on his mission instead of the other way around...

I could go on and on.

I know a lot of it is trivial and doesn't change the story (they've also done enough things that DO change the story, especially in tonights episode), but it still just irks me that they just arbitrarily changed things that were repeatedly described in detail in the books.

Also I felt the city crowd riot scene was kind of meh. Looked verrrry staged, not natural. I felt like I was really watching a TV show. The Hound saving Sansa was well done tho - their "relationship" is just as written.

/rant

ALSO THE JOJEN AND MEERA! WRITTEN OUT! confused how this will work going forward.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-07-2012 09:25 AM #146
      Some of the changes really have me scratching my head. I'm trying to 'turn it off' in my mind and just enjoy the show. It's proving difficult, especially with the last episode, but I feel I need to do it.

The bits between Tywin and Arya are interesting, and make Tywin somewhat more endearing. Arya carefully avoiding Littlefinger was tense, even though I knew they'd have to change too much if he found her out. I half expected the note that Arya stole to be a message left from Littlefinger to her though.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      05-07-2012 10:49 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Rivmk418t View Post
      I know we're not supposed to talk about the books too much, but seriously. Is anyone else constantly frustrated by the small, seemingly pointless changes they make to details in show?

For example: Renly being stabbed through the heart instead of getting his throat cut, Quaithe wearing some sort of luchador mask instead of the black lacquered wooden mask, Jon asking to join Qhorin on his mission instead of the other way around...

I could go on and on.

I know a lot of it is trivial and doesn't change the story (they've also done enough things that DO change the story, especially in tonights episode), but it still just irks me that they just arbitrarily changed things that were repeatedly described in detail in the books.

Also I felt the city crowd riot scene was kind of meh. Looked verrrry staged, not natural. I felt like I was really watching a TV show. The Hound saving Sansa was well done tho - their "relationship" is just as written.

/rant

ALSO THE JOJEN AND MEERA! WRITTEN OUT! confused how this will work going forward.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...and-Literature

8. 05-07-2012 10:52 AM #148
      The scene with the Hound and Sansa was pretty cool. You could tell it was coming but it was still good.

God I hate Joffrey, that little bitch.

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      05-07-2012 02:03 PM #149
      Great episode as usual.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      05-07-2012 02:31 PM #150
      Nice to see Joffrey get some comeuppance, even if it's minor.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      05-07-2012 05:26 PM #151
      Yeah... This changes things down the road.

12. 05-07-2012 07:11 PM #152
      Please tell me king little bitch gets killed. I don't care, please tell me he does in the books.

I've never been so mad about a tv show but when Ned Stark got beheaded.

Haha.

13. 05-07-2012 08:12 PM #153
      If he does go I hope the head of his guard goes too. I picture him wearing a stained wife beater under his armor and going back to trailer that is parked in the back of the castle.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 12:45 AM #154
      Sorry, but no. The books are too important to not discuss within the context of the show. This isn't just a matter of Tom Bombadil being written out without continuity being broken. The writers seem to be making changes that will veer the story line off-course. Without Jojen and Meera, Bran and Hodor will have to stay with Osha.

/rant - I'm still enjoying it, but my wife and I are getting tired of saying, "WTF, now what are they doing?".
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 12:50 AM #155
      And one more thing... The scenes with Robb flirting with Lady Whatsername are boring and pointless. Is it the producers efforts at some silly assed romantic element?
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      05-08-2012 12:54 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Sorry, but no. The books are too important to not discuss within the context of the show. This isn't just a matter of Tom Bombadil being written out without continuity being broken. The writers seem to be making changes that will veer the story line off-course. Without Jojen and Meera, Bran and Hodor will have to stay with Osha.

/rant - I'm still enjoying it, but my wife and I are getting tired of saying, "WTF, now what are they doing?".
      based on <> direct film translation.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 08:07 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      based on <> direct film translation.
      The first season set the standard. It was notable because it was so faithful. It just seems odd to me that this season has changed so much.
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      05-08-2012 08:09 AM #158
      The first season set the standard. It was notable because it was so faithful. It just seems odd to me that this season has changed so much.
      x1000

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-08-2012 09:18 AM #159
      Yeah, I don't think we'd even be talking (bitching?) about it so much if the first season wasn't so exacting to the first book.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      05-08-2012 10:19 AM #160

For example: Renly being stabbed through the heart instead of getting his throat cut
      He did get stabbed through the armor in the book as well.

Quaithe wearing some sort of luchador mask instead of the black lacquered wooden mask,
      Yes, very odd.

Jon asking to join Qhorin on his mission instead of the other way around...
      Not bad, better than some of the other changes IMO when discussing "minor" issues. Like issues of a certain love interest.

I was very let down by that scene as well. I don't think Sansa was even close to being raped by the men during the riot, she was in a crowd and he galloped on his steed among them and cut them down before they dragged her away (I thought).

I'm still shocked they made Daenerys have her people slaughtered and her dragons stolen. Sorely disappointing, but once that happened it was sort of a release for me, to let go of expectations and just embrace the changes and see where they'll take us. The books will have their place, hopefully the show will continue to do so as well. I'm really looking forward to the warlocks and the ultimate story line across the narrow sea, but now I'm wondering how that'll come to be.
      Misanthrope extraordinaire

Vehicles
      '00 Jolf 1.8T, '02 Jetta 1.8T
      05-08-2012 10:47 AM #161

I'm the exact same way! They are adding drama when it doesnt need to be added. Arya being chased and Jaqin killing the guy at the last moment. Jon chasing Yigritte, The dragons being stolen.

I understand they have to cut a lot to make it into 10 episodes, but they are adding un-needed stuff when they could flesh out more of the actual story.
      |ScArE BeAr MafIa|Low.Life.Society|WetDub|726|XBOX GT:DrNotSoHorrible

Quote Originally Posted by UberDub18t
      Dash invented the double

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-08-2012 10:54 AM #162
      Yeah, some of the artistic license they are taking seems a little odd. I know it's hard to introduce more children that are important to the story, but I was dying to see the Reeds in real life. Minor stuff like the location of Renly's wound don't matter, but stuff like Ygritte and the dragons being kidnapped are kinda lame.
      PSN: PhilipGTI
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      If your ass looks like a Jeep after playing off-road, I don't know what to say. Change up your diet, maybe?

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      05-08-2012 01:13 PM #163

I assume you weren't one of the many posters ripping beng (?) and I for voicing the same frustrations in the True Blood threads? We were basically told to "shove it" with the book discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GSTGuy View Post
      I'm still shocked they made Daenerys have her people slaughtered and her dragons stolen. Sorely disappointing, but once that happened it was sort of a release for me, to let go of expectations and just embrace the changes and see where they'll take us. The books will have their place, hopefully the show will continue to do so as well.
      Basically what I had to do with True Blood. I've read all the Sookies Stackhouse books and that show goes completely off-book pretty quickly, and not in a positive way.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 01:26 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I assume you weren't one of the many posters ripping beng (?) and I for voicing the same frustrations in the True Blood threads? We were basically told to "shove it" with the book discussion.
      Wasn't me. I don't watch True Blood.
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-08-2012 01:39 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by dashrendar View Post
      I'm the exact same way! They are adding drama when it doesnt need to be added. Arya being chased and Jaqin killing the guy at the last moment. Jon chasing Yigritte, The dragons being stolen.

I understand they have to cut a lot to make it into 10 episodes, but they are adding un-needed stuff when they could flesh out more of the actual story.
      Agreed.

As for the Sansa near-rape stuff, that was presumably to carry a bit of what happened to the Lollys character in the book into the storyline to emphasize the severity of the riot, without having to introduce who the hell Lollys was. Heck, they only introduced the High Septon enough so you'd understand who was being ripped apart

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      05-08-2012 03:32 PM #166
      I think you guys are nit picking too much. At least let the season conclude before you try to break down minor changes in the latest episode to air. I'm sure the Reeds will meet with Bran shortly, otherwise that story line is a complete derailment. The other changes are far too minor to bitch about IMO.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 05:29 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by mbuxton View Post
      I think you guys are nit picking too much. At least let the season conclude before you try to break down minor changes in the latest episode to air. I'm sure the Reeds will meet with Bran shortly, otherwise that story line is a complete derailment. The other changes are far too minor to bitch about IMO.
      Dragon theft is serious business, ser!
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      05-08-2012 07:04 PM #168
      Dragon theft, really?

Glad I'm just sticking to the books at this point

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Jettasaurus Rex
      05-08-2012 07:45 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by GSTGuy View Post
      'm still shocked they made Daenerys have her people slaughtered and her dragons stolen. Sorely disappointing, but once that happened it was sort of a release for me, to let go of expectations and just embrace the changes and see where they'll take us. The books will have their place, hopefully the show will continue to do so as well. I'm really looking forward to the warlocks and the ultimate story line across the narrow sea, but now I'm wondering how that'll come to be.
      Totally agree with you here. At that point I realized they must have made some sort of serious decision to not cling so tightly to the books, disappointing as that may be...

The Sansa near-rape scene I agree was meant to incorporate the character Lollys without adding in an otherwise completely useless character. It also helped flesh out the odd relationship the Hound has with Sansa, where he is a protector of sorts for her.

Quote Originally Posted by mbuxton
      I'm sure the Reeds will meet with Bran shortly, otherwise that story line is a complete derailment.
      I hope this is right, that they meet up with him next episode, because that majorly changes the book. Does Hodor have green eyes that we didn't notice? haha...

Jon's story seems to be uh.. condensing a bit now too. Hopefully they don't cut out some really important passages from that.

Here's to hoping the rest of the season works out well!

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      05-08-2012 09:51 PM #171
      I guess I'm going to have to get this thread locked.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 10:03 PM #172
      Do that and I will follow you around this forum for the next 4 weeks and post GoT spoilers in every thread you're active.
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      '00 Jolf 1.8T, '02 Jetta 1.8T
      05-08-2012 10:27 PM #173
      For what? No spoilers are being posted. And if they are, they are in white. And u can't get a tread locked for spoilers or book talk.
      |ScArE BeAr MafIa|Low.Life.Society|WetDub|726|XBOX GT:DrNotSoHorrible

Quote Originally Posted by UberDub18t
      Dash invented the double

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      05-08-2012 11:37 PM #174

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi S4/2002 Golf TDI
      05-09-2012 02:19 AM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Laser04 View Post
      Dragon theft, really?

Glad I'm just sticking to the books at this point
      I thought I had missed a point in the audio book and went back and listened and realized there they were never stolen.

Someone mentioned the part about Robb's romance w/ the woman being pointless... I think the purpose is to develop his character more. You don't get much from Robb in this part of the book, it's just brief mentions through his mother or other family members.

Overall I think it's been pretty good this season and it's actually very enjoyable listening to the audio book and show at the same time.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast