bump For a bunch of hard work to save another GTI from the bone yard
78 Rabbit 2dr, 84 GTI, 86 Scirocco 16V, 87 GTI 16V, 90 Jetta, 90 Corrado, 91 Jetta, 92 GTI 16V, 96 GTI 2.0, 97 Jetta, 97 Passat VR, 06 Jetta 2.5, 95 GTI VR, 01 jetta 1.8T, 02 Passat 1.8T, 01 A4 1.8Q
Well I got another 10 hours into it today.
I got 90% of the wiring done. I did extend a few more wires since I was not happy how they laid in the engine bay. I got the rear strut bushings in. I started working on the rear brakes but that just pissed me off so I said F' it for today. I did get a bunch of little things button up also here and there.
Some update pics
new backing plate that just finally came in from the dealer since mine was shot
I did have to move the relays to the inside wall of the rain tray since it was in the way of the wiper trans.
Time for a and more work tomorrow
Well I got another 8 hours into it today.
I got the rear calipers and brakes on. "what a bitch"
Started to button up the front end and engine bay also.
Started to fab a bracket to hold the air cleaner away from the engine.
I had to notch the front bumper to fit the fan motor in, the bar was pushing the fan in and wouldn't let it spin.
Ran into a big new problem!!!
Wired up the front lights off the Passat harness. I needed to wire them up off of the GTI harness since the Passat doesn't have the 9007 style bulbs
Almost looks like a car again
I would like some help on this one though. So this plastic stop broke off the rear caliper. I think it stops the E-brake when there is not a load on it. Is this really a big deal that it busted off? Should I leave it or should I really replace it.
I got the O2 sensor in should have done that when I put the test pipe on.
Well all the wiring is now 100% done in the engine bay.
I had the head lights, horns I needed to extend, I needed to wire the O2 sensor also since that was cut off the the harness I got.
I had some of the spark plug wires crisscrossed and got that back to normal.
I did get the 42 draft PCV pipe in. I think it fits real nice just needed to trim a little of the heater hose on the head side.
Topped off the coolent to realize the 2 thermostat sensers that I have in the O rings must have deteriorated since the motor was sitting for a year and a half. So I had fluid all over the place when I got back from getting a crispy hatch from a friend of mine to replace my crap. So I missed just missed out on the VW parts being open so I drove 50 mins round trip to a NAPA that should have had 9 of them in stock. "nope we don't have them" So I said F it and I deal with that on Monday.
and as always pics
And here is where I left off
I got fuel but no spark. I'm gonna try a couple things in the morning like replace the crack sensor and check some wires around the coil pack, computer and hope that solves it. *crosses fingers*
Last edited by OGSDUB; 04-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Last edited by OGSDUB; 04-23-2012 at 03:03 PM.
yet another inspiring build
my rusty rebuild
Put in some more work today
I got the other 3 corners knocked down and primed and painted since when the fenders were rolled the paint chipped off.
I cleaned up the rust spot by the hatch
I got the rocker molding covers and flares on also
The flares fit like sh!t !!!
I hacked off the bottoms to try to get somewhat of a better fitment, I'm not happy with them but it is what it is.
nice gap right?!
Installed some software
I got my new hatch on. Wires strung and busted the wiper motor so I'm on the hunt for one of them now.
So like always the bolts for the fogs we seized in the plastic so now I need to get a bit creative to save the cover.
Well its almost road worthy and it is 2 months into it today!
I got the bumper all put back together again.
I did have to fix the pass side parklamp and fog wires / plugs since one was pretty beat up and the other was too short.
I did do a little shopping this morning since a friend is parting out a DE GTI and I got 1st at it.
I used some really strong automotive glue to hold the washers to the bumper. You can get it at an automotive paint and supply type store.
$2.00 worth of harware from the Tru-value done.
The section that was pretty much all gone I filled it the best I could with the glue.
Some goodies I got this morning.
Mount for the air cleaner
I also did a little beat run on it and its running real good.
I pretty much need to still figure out why the fans are not kicking in. I tested the plug that goes into the fan switch and I got nothing. Wires / relays /
I need to get wheels fitted.
Front end alignment
At that point every should be with some luck cosmetic.
Last edited by OGSDUB; 04-29-2012 at 05:33 PM.