Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Trans mount tab cracked? use or ditch?

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      03-12-2012 02:21 PM #1
      Just got a tranny mount from another member [with BFI inserts] and the body mount tab (for the 13mm bolt) has a crack . I have my stock mount and my gut tells me to just drill out the rivets and put the bushings in mine.... [really just wanted the inserts at first]

BUT i have been told the higher durometer of the Stage II bushings renders this point useless???? i have seen it removed from a mount for sale in the classifieds right now! i would take the tab off clean it up and spray it black to match some other parts....

any experience with this or advice would be appreciated.....

Here you can see it on the left side:

img20120307083624

Vehicles
      02.5 24v GLI, 05.5 Jetta 2.5l
      03-12-2012 03:11 PM #2
      I have a stock one with out that tab and an 034 Motorsports one without it...
      Never had one porblem with either of them... You will be ok...

heres photos of mine,

Last edited by jaso028; 03-12-2012 at 03:13 PM.
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      03-12-2012 03:25 PM #3
      Thank you, I saw yours for sale.. that makes me feel better and will make this like a 20 min job... actually i like the look of it better and it gives me an excuse to clean it up a bit!

anyone else?

Vehicles
      03-12-2012 03:39 PM #4
      Yeah buddy.. thats my 034 mount, I dropped my OEM mount and the tab broke off that one too.. lol
      freaking jackass I am.. but been running my OEM like that for around 15-20k and have not had any issues..
      just use some blue loctite on the bolts ot ensure them not backing out.. or grab all new bolts which is what your supposed to do, but dont think anyone ever does.. lol
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      mk4 '03 Jetta 24v, mk1 '82 Rabbit 1.7l
      03-13-2012 09:35 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by leonard22 View Post
      Just got a tranny mount from another member [with BFI inserts] and the body mount tab (for the 13mm bolt) has a crack . I have my stock mount and my gut tells me to just drill out the rivets and put the bushings in mine.... [really just wanted the inserts at first]

BUT i have been told the higher durometer of the Stage II bushings renders this point useless???? i have seen it removed from a mount for sale in the classifieds right now! i would take the tab off clean it up and spray it black to match some other parts....

any experience with this or advice would be appreciated.....

Here you can see it on the left side:

img20120307083624
      let me know how the stg 2 inserts do! i wanna get them but i already have the stg 2 dogbone and unsure whether to get the stg 1 or 2
      "you ain't dubbin if you ain't rubbin, but that's the bad kind of rub"

STOP SAYING HATERS

PeaceRubDub

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      03-13-2012 10:07 AM #6
      Will do... I spoke to BFI before i ordered my Stage 2 dogbone and they were super helpfull and i hung up the phone with complete confidence in going stage 2. The guy i spoke to had all [stage 2] upgrades on his R32 and said that while the upgrades offer a vast improvement ,vibration in the cabin was hardly noticable.... The weight and the nature of the VR are such that it is just not an issue like the 4bangers. Also, he told me for daily driving the inserts would be fine [mount vs inserts] on the tranny side [saving me 100 bucks].... good looking out man!

overall i have been blown away with BFI and i will be getting the engine side done next! but first i have to throw in my reconditioned(by me) BFI equipped mount today! feedback to follow!

Quote Originally Posted by morphineVR6 View Post
      let me know how the stg 2 inserts do! i wanna get them but i already have the stg 2 dogbone and unsure whether to get the stg 1 or 2

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 10:27 AM #7
      nice and cleaned up! not bad!

yeah I always wondered how the BFI Stage 2 mounts were.. I ran Stage 1 on the trans side but they failed quickly.. I didnt really care for the added vibration of the 034 Mount (Track Density) it was nice in a way.. I like how the trans sounds in the car were increased.. but overall I just wasnt happy with the mount.. if my Stage 1 BFI's never failed I probably would have never got the 034 mounts..

let us know what you think of yours..
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      03-13-2012 01:00 PM #8
      i broke a body side bolt [battery side] putting everything back together

so dissapointed with myself, i was talking and just not paying attention..... crap!

so.... i still had to get back to work from the shop [about a quarter of a mile] so i took it real easy and i was amazed at how even half on there it was better than stock.... less movement that is...

anyway i cant drive anywhere till i fix this, what r my options... try to get it out.... tap it? what would you guys do? i will have to do some research and get back to ya...

any help or advice PLEASE!

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 01:08 PM #9
      so with this break, are you able to get the bolt out? or are you not sure yet?
      theres a few things you can do... I do not like Heli coils so I will not suggest them...

if the bolt is able to be extracted without drilling you will be ok... Just pick up a new bolt and pay attention this time.. lol

if not you will need to either tap to the next size up..

OR

pick up a set of Time-Sert Inserts http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html
      this will allow you to use the same size bolt.. I used these on my trans, still holding the dogbone up well!!
      I picked all my stuff up @ my local Fastenal a lot cheaper...... you dont really need the tool to get the time sert in.. you will be able to get it flush by hand...
      The Time-Serts have RED loctite on them already, but you can add some of your own.. let them sit for a few minutes then you can re-assemble your car..

These allow you to be able to use the same exact bolt size.. you just need to find out the bolt size to match up to the Time-Sert......
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      03 Golf vr6 24v
      03-13-2012 11:35 PM #10
      are you saying you have no vibrations or increased audibles after putting the stage 2 tranny mount in? I to went with the stage 2 dog bone and tranny mount insert and have increased noise and rough riding at higher speeds and rpm. The mounts made it more ridged which allowed for a more harsh ride, i dont mind as much but if your not getting increased noise and more vibration then i might have to go back and research my install
      The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #521
      stay thirsty my friends

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      03-14-2012 05:54 AM #11
      Well, no I am not saying any of that, in fact I am in no position to review anything at the moment [er attached with less than ideal ammo into bolts er] however, even with a broken bolt and traveling less than a mile I could feel less engine movement and more tranny noise...... That would be on par with your experience do far.... But I will have to wait ( for obvious reasons ) to give any real world impressions of the mount......

For anyone thinking of upgrading your mounts, help yourself, please buy new stretch bolts!

Obviously I did not and I am paying for it! New bolts will be here tomorrow and I will try to " easy out" this bee- otch!

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      03-17-2012 12:45 PM #12
      Mount is in with all bolts haha

Had to take it off and when I tried to drill the broken bolt it was already spinning.... Sigh of relief!

Easy fix.

There is noticeable cabin noise, particularly tranny noise, but I like it!
      As for vibration, a little, but nothing annoying... Like change in the door wil rattle A little but I just took it out and all bettah!

Obviously more fun to drive, I am loving it, and would do it again In a second even with the trouble.

More to follow, only been done a couple of days !

Vehicles
      01 gti vr6(RIP) mk3 vr6 coupe
      03-17-2012 02:04 PM #13
      Had a stage 2 tranny bfi insert. Too much tranny noise and vibration for my liking. Went back to stock.
      All mk4s smell a bit like crayons/candles. All mk3s smell like hot plastic and crayons. All mk2s smell like water damage, and all mk1s smell like mold and electrical fires.
      It's a VW thing.

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      05-07-2012 10:27 AM #14
      Update...

Still loving the BFI teranny inserts....

yes there is some noise and vibration, still not annoying.... it just feels better to me, but i could understand why it is not for everyone... i just cant imagine going back to stock, everything just feels so much tighter. Paired with coilovers it just feel like it is on rails.

Next is the engine side [they [BFI] are out of stock at the moment] know anyone selling one?

but my 1" euroimage spacers are in hand.... figure ill do them all together..... i am wondering, after i get the oilpan above the subframe should i still run the skidplate? i am thinking why not???? i will be going down [v] a bit lower and it can't hurt to have a little protection, plus i love how clean the bay stays with it on!... i changed tire size and have a little more gap than i would like!

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 12:56 PM #15
      Theres 034 mounts and some other companys out there as well.. I would just pair it up with the BFI when it becomes available..

whats your FTG @ right now? cause with those 1" spacer you might need to notch the frame.. I ran 5/8" for a while @ 24FTG and my Raxels were getting abused...
      but if you plan on the running the spacers and the plastic belly pan you will be ok.. I dont think you need to purchase another skid plate..
      if you already have it then your are ok.. other then that dont waste your money IMO.. .

false sense of security!
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

Vehicles
      MKIV GTI VR6
      05-08-2012 09:17 AM #16
      I am @ 24 FTG right now..... i really do not want to be cutting frame.... i think i will start another thread asking what height folks that have 1" spacers are running with and without frame modifications....

J- what do you mean about your axle abuse... i too have the raxles and i dont want to F*&% them up! --- i am running the ecs steel plate now but i would really like to get the oilpan up up up^

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 09:28 AM #17
      I think people say just below 24ftg is where they start having issues, but everyones car is different...

I guess its not really abuse, more along the lines of the passenger side was rubbing a lot with dips in the rd and some normal driving.. it didnt kill the Raxels, it just rubbed the paint off them.. I ran the spacers for 1 day, I didnt get much past that lol didnt like the feeling..
      @ least you have the steel skid plate for protection and not an Alumnum one..
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning