Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Another slammed b5 build thread.....of epic proportions

1. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-12-2012 03:21 PM #1
      Hey there. I said to myself I was gonna create a build thread as soon as I officially had the car registered (kept me motivated to getting it done) and I got it finally registered this past thursday, so here's my build thread:

Around the beginning of February I bought this 01 A4 1.8 straight out of the auction for $1900 before fees and taxes. Did some research and found out that this was the most updated and strongest one among the B5 generation, so I'm glad I got it. 117k miles and it drives smooth.

Downside of getting this out of the auction was that it was in a previous accident. only major damage was the hood, bumper needed to be "fixed" and core support needed to be replaced. After getting it out of the auction, I had it sent to a body shop for them to fix the damages. 2 weeks later, it was finally sitting in my garage

(outside of autozone)

I love/hate whoever the previous was. Previous owner left with the car a K&N drop in filter, yellow Noyka foglight bulbs and a new hood strut:

(new one installed)

But the **** I hate is that he practically neglected the interior, so sticky sh1T was everywhere!
      Car was dirty inside and out, but especially the INSIDE! This was gonna be a fun cleaning.

Pristine leather seats:

nasty ass center console

took all the pieces out and went to town on them:

the two front windows had that nasty purple tint. Scraped all that **** off:

general under hood shot

(Don't worry I cleaned under there as well)

The surround piece for the shifter had some sticky sh*t all over it, so I cleaned it. Apparently in the process, the paint decides to leave also

So what did i do? Prep it for paint

...and the finished product. Gonna redo it again but much better than it was before.

Also I added, more like forced in, a shift knob I had sitting in my room for years. Makes it look
      like a short shifter

One night I was driving the car and I was messing with the climate control and the "off" button got stuck...FML!!!

So I took it out and apart. And yet again, there was some sticky **** on the buttons

3 of the buttons weren't retracting like they should, so I modified it by adding a spring from a g2 pen behind the button

3 new pens gave their lives for the stake of the buttons (RIP G2 Pens)

Next was the maintenance part. The car came with a CEL for random misfires and advanced timing. Heard/researched that it was a common issue, so after taking it to a shop to diagnose/ to confirm my suspicion of what it may be, turns out the Cam chain tensioner and 3 out of 4 coil packs needed to replaced.

Decided to do an oil change and since I was already at it, minus well replace the spark plugs as well.

Got the goods from ECS Tuning:

....and now, I present to you the Main course......le Stance.

Before this car, I originally had a e36 BMW for a couple of months before I had to sell it. I had major plans for it, which included the typical:

Style 5's/BBS RC's

My FIRST set of 2 piece wheels, BBS at that. after I sold the bimmer, I didn't want to part with the wheels, so I still kept them. So my plans for these wheels will be to fully polish the lips and paint the centers (probably the bolts too) and of course get them redrilled to 5x112. Many people have told me to get adapters for these but the offset is already sitting at 20. So even getting the thinnest adapters would put me at an offset close to 0....I've yet to see 0 offset wheels fit with the typical rolling/pulling on the b5. So why go through that? I'll suck it up and get them re-drilled. Plus these wheels, believe it or not lol, are pretty common, but I think I'll be the first to rock them on a b5

Compressed at stock height:

just minor rolling will make them fit just right

cleaned them up:

Wouldn't this be cool as hell?

This past Wednesday, I took apart my first wheel. Quickly learned how to do it, after I was done:

Then on Friday, I took apart the rest:

Sprayed the bolts with PB blaster

Unscrewed the nuts almost the way out. Then I laid the hammer down (i ruined a socket extension in the process):

Flipped the rim over and struck the face twice with a rubber mallet and voila!

The cleanest rim of the group on the right, the most dirtiest on the left:

Final product:

...and now they wait for me to do moar work.

This past weekend, after running an errand, the left fan was rubbing too close to the radiator and it decided to explode. So between plastic and aluminum, which won?

...plastic won this war

Decided to take out the front end off anyway. The body shop did a horrible job painting the front bumper and mounting the whole front on. I did make an request to shave the headlight washers off, I never saw a point for them, unless if i wanted to go offroading in the audi. So I'm gonna try to re-aline the front end.

(yes i know the core support is cracked in the bottom)

took out the headlight washers, for 5 extra HP.

So what's the progress now? I'm waiting till my off day (wednesday) to replace the radiator and the plastic fan blade. Also the PO added some cheap green coolant to the system so this is a good opportunity to do a proper coolant flush.

I have a car show I want to attend during the first weekend of April, so MOAR progress will happen soon. So what are your near/distant future plans??

Very near future:

Coilovers
      Homemade skid plate
      Style 5's mounted with painted faces and polished lips/ Re-drilled to 5x112
      Add my 12" sub so the rear speakers can stop beating themselves to death
      6k hid's
      possibly fix my sagging headliner
      replace stock muffler and its rusted ass tips with a pipe and dual tips i also had waiting for the bimmer
      idk whatever i can think of i need to get done

Distant future:
      Some kind of entry level tune for teh boost
      Full exhaust setup
      moar maintenance sh1t
      boost gauge

very distant future:
      Rs4 front bumper

I'm new to the VAG world, but I've done my fair share of research on the b5 a4, so it's like I had for years, lol. But I'm still open to suggestions.

Comments are welcome
      Last edited by Chuckdee; 03-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Vehicles
      LG9R GTI , '57 Ford Thunderbird
      03-12-2012 04:27 PM #2
      Looking good man. I might be running Style 5's in the near future. Don't worry, I have an Avant and it's a different color so you will be the only silver B5 with those wheels.
      IG: @_tylerfour10

Buy My Wheels

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 2.8Q, 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
      03-12-2012 04:46 PM #3
      nice job cleaning up that interior, that was filthy. looking forward to seeing how the wheels turn out.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      03-12-2012 06:21 PM #4
      I'm excited for Style 5's; I've often thought about doing a set.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-12-2012 06:37 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ChampagneA4 View Post
      Looking good man. I might be running Style 5's in the near future. Don't worry, I have an Avant and it's a different color so you will be the only silver B5 with those wheels.
      Well then, now it's a race lol

Quote Originally Posted by crazexr7 View Post
      nice job cleaning up that interior, that was filthy. looking forward to seeing how the wheels turn out.

thank you sir, it was disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      I'm excited for Style 5's; I've often thought about doing a set.
      me too! I'm really looking forward to how the finished product will look like. Also I'm a big fan of your thread

Vehicles
      2015 Subaru STi
      03-12-2012 07:44 PM #6
      Props to you for bringing it back to life. Style fives will look amazing

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-12-2012 08:47 PM #7
      ^^thank you sir, and I can't wait to mount them on!

Vehicles
      BMW e34 525i
      03-12-2012 08:53 PM #8
      awesome job with the cleaning man. and my sister is gonna be running style 5's on her e36 vert this year love those wheels

9. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 1.8TQSM
      03-12-2012 11:45 PM #9
      I've seen pictures of one B5 running Style 5's. Didn't look good since he had some giant tires and was running spacers. It also wasn't really low.

You seem to know what you're doing so I think the end result will be
      B5 1.8TQM
      RS2'd urS4

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-13-2012 01:26 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by D-rock11 View Post
      awesome job with the cleaning man. and my sister is gonna be running style 5's on her e36 vert this year love those wheels
      and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by memo! View Post
      I've seen pictures of one B5 running Style 5's. Didn't look good since he had some giant tires and was running spacers. It also wasn't really low.

You seem to know what you're doing so I think the end result will be
      Oh wow, i've tried finding pictures for the longest time but No balloon tires here! 205/40's all the way maybe in the future ill do a extended stud conversion and run spacers....probably 5-10mm's

11. 03-13-2012 01:27 AM #11
      If the owner didn't maintain it anyway well superficially then I would forget the looks untill you've got all the important stuff taken care of, timing belt, breathers WATERPUMP, etc. I was told mine was done and when we did the tb change regardless at around 80k the idler roller for the ac was horrible but mainly the tb tensioner(which was very weak) and waterpump(not exactly free spinning like the new one, and it wasnt the metal type) hadn't been replaced with the belts which were fresh looking.
      Last edited by turboSlap; 03-13-2012 at 01:30 AM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-13-2012 03:27 AM #12
      Yeah, taking care of the Timing belt is one of my main plans but, i'll wait after the first weekend in april (the car show is my main goal as of now). So far, the car is behaving well but I know it isn't an excuse to ignore the usual maintenance. Before may I hope I'll have the timing and serp belts changed out, including the water pump (i'll by a whole kit), and cam chain tensioner done. Also the brakes feel loose to me, so i'll look into that as well. And a forge DV, for that nice "whoosh" sound

13. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 1.8TQSM
      03-13-2012 03:49 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdee View Post
      Oh wow, i've tried finding pictures for the longest time but No balloon tires here! 205/40's all the way maybe in the future ill do a extended stud conversion and run spacers....probably 5-10mm's
      FWIW, they were in the classifieds section of Audizine.
      B5 1.8TQM
      RS2'd urS4

14. 03-13-2012 11:53 AM #14
      The word epic is grossly overused these days.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-13-2012 01:34 PM #15
      ^^also the word swag, but you won't see me use that at all.

Vehicles
      '01 S4 2.7TTQM '01 A4 1.8TQM Sold
      03-13-2012 11:15 PM #16
      nice turn around, all the work will be worth it someday

17. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-14-2012 12:15 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by kdf8454 View Post
      nice turn around, all the work will be worth it someday
      thank you! and I can't wait till it all comes together by the end of this month.

Update:

so i should be close to ordering my coilovers sometime this weekend and i'll finally grab a radiator from my local junkyard tomorrow. Still waiting on my fan blade to come in. So once that comes in, I should be able to drive the car tomorrow

18. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-15-2012 11:32 AM #18
      coilovers Finally ordered , so they should be here next week wednesday.

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      03-15-2012 11:43 AM #19
      What kind?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-15-2012 12:38 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by MarcMiller View Post
      What kind?
      Rokkors. Decided to see how well they are compared to racelands, which shouldn't be much of a difference. Needed something cheap right while I'm currently not in the best position to choose ST's. I will someday but right now I'm on a budget :/

Vehicles
      LG9R GTI , '57 Ford Thunderbird
      03-15-2012 09:52 PM #21
      Your car is FWD? Just checking cause that email said B5 2WD. If your Quattro then those won't work.
      IG: @_tylerfour10

Buy My Wheels

22. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-15-2012 11:57 PM #22
      Yeah it's a FWD. I made sure myself also lol. I should get them on tuesday

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro
      03-16-2012 12:09 AM #23
      Love the style 5's, I'm thinking about tracking down a set of style 19's once I get rid of my Carlssons
      The Social Club | Condukt.Co | #BlandBros | IG: Like_Eich

24. Member
      Vehicles
      bagged b5
      03-16-2012 12:52 PM #24
      not gunna lie..i usually when it comes to some peoples build threads..but urs im kinda looking forward to seeing how it turns out.. GL

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-18-2012 04:51 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by .Drama. View Post
      Love the style 5's, I'm thinking about tracking down a set of style 19's once I get rid of my Carlssons
      I wanna see the Carlssons!

Quote Originally Posted by ayfour99 View Post
      not gunna lie..i usually when it comes to some peoples build threads..but urs im kinda looking forward to seeing how it turns out.. GL
      Thank you sir

So here's an update for yal:

Replaced the Radiator and Fan blade and added new coolant and now the car is trying to SLIGHTLY overheat. I thought there might be air in the system so I must had flushed it like all afternoon yesterday and still, no results. I've gotten annoyed with dealing with it, so I'm gonna take it to a shop on wednesday and see what's up. I also replaced the t-stat and coolant temp sensor for good measure and still didn't do anything. Maybe I'm missing something here.....well all i know is that it made me distracted from polishing my lips, so enough stressin' and time to get back on track.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, CW 2012 Tiguan SE 2.0 TSI
      03-20-2012 08:59 AM #26
      Lookin good so far!!!!

Vehicles
      B5 AUDI
      03-20-2012 09:50 AM #27
      Did you get the coilpacks from ecs? If so you could have had them replaced for free at the dealer under the recall for push down style coilpacks. If you still have the receipt for them you can can still get aoa to reimburse for them. It took about 3-4 months for my refund but it was worth it.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd Quattro
      03-20-2012 12:25 PM #28
      are you sure that radiator wasn't slightly clogged when you bought it ? was it heavy at all? also good progress

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-20-2012 01:49 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
      Lookin good so far!!!!
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimQuattro View Post
      Did you get the coilpacks from ecs? If so you could have had them replaced for free at the dealer under the recall for push down style coilpacks. If you still have the receipt for them you can can still get aoa to reimburse for them. It took about 3-4 months for my refund but it was worth it.
      I haven't had a problem with them "popping" out of place.....yet. I saw a thread about them popping out just out of no where.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiquattro337 View Post
      are you sure that radiator wasn't slightly clogged when you bought it ? was it heavy at all? also good progress
      When I got the radiator, I flushed it with a garden hose to check the flow, all was good. I'm thinking of doing another complete coolant flush tonight but this time I'll use the tiny hole at the heater hose to bleed the air out. If it still doesn't fix it, then I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow.

Coilovers should come in today And I need to start polishing my wheels

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd Quattro
      03-21-2012 12:53 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdee View Post
      Thanks!

I haven't had a problem with them "popping" out of place.....yet. I saw a thread about them popping out just out of no where.

When I got the radiator, I flushed it with a garden hose to check the flow, all was good. I'm thinking of doing another complete coolant flush tonight but this time I'll use the tiny hole at the heater hose to bleed the air out. If it still doesn't fix it, then I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow.

Coilovers should come in today And I need to start polishing my wheels
      hmmm well when is it overheating? when you stop? when your in boost? honestly overheating is the easiest thing in the world to fix, i bet we can fix it

31. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-21-2012 01:47 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Audiquattro337 View Post
      hmmm well when is it overheating? when you stop? when your in boost? honestly overheating is the easiest thing in the world to fix, i bet we can fix it
      OK, i'll make a thread on here and see if i can get some feedback. and it slightly goes past normal after a while of driving but it doesn't go past the next mark on the "hot" side. but coasting for a while it goes back to normal.....idk what it could be.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      98 A4 + 83 GTI
      03-21-2012 04:05 PM #32
      could be your thermostat or water pump. check and see if your coolant is actually flowing through the reservoir, if it isnt, your wp is broken. how well did you actually bleed it? i run mine for about a half hour with the res cap off and pump the lines with my fingers until i dont need to add anymore. it is very tedious to track down a coolant malfunction, but rather easy at the same time.

you can pull out your thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it is opening, then pull it out of the water and see if it contracts after it cools down.
      clean 99 mk3 jetta for sale. 130k James_Le_Mans instagram.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-22-2012 11:27 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by James Himself View Post
      could be your thermostat or water pump. check and see if your coolant is actually flowing through the reservoir, if it isnt, your wp is broken. how well did you actually bleed it? i run mine for about a half hour with the res cap off and pump the lines with my fingers until i dont need to add anymore. it is very tedious to track down a coolant malfunction, but rather easy at the same time.

you can pull out your thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it is opening, then pull it out of the water and see if it contracts after it cools down.

Did the Tstat test on BOTH old and new and they're opening up. So after doing some more research on similar issues, it has to be the water pump. It hasn't been changed out yet and I think when I took my car to the shop, the mechanic that did the diagnosis, said there was a small leak (?) around the water pump. I changed out everything that has to involve with the cooling system INCLUDING the cap, flushed it several times with getting all the air bubbles out and it's still doing it. Plus the upper radiator hose is real hot but the lower one is cold, so no doubt it has to be. Gonna get it changed out tomorrow or during saturday and once the issue is resolved, coils are immediately going on

Edit: forgot to mention that the radiator was flushed out. And for kicks i flushed out the heater core. The heater core was still free flowing.
      Last edited by Chuckdee; 03-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      03-22-2012 11:09 PM #34
      Came in expecting slammed b5. Left very disappointed.
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

35. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      03-22-2012 11:35 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Came in expecting slammed b5. Left very disappointed.
      lol glad I wasn't the first guy to say it.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast