Thread: Another slammed b5 build thread.....of epic proportions

Vehicles
      B5 A4, CW 2015 Tiguan SE 2.0 TSI
      03-20-2012 08:59 AM #26
      Lookin good so far!!!!

Vehicles
      B5 AUDI
      03-20-2012 09:50 AM #27
      Did you get the coilpacks from ecs? If so you could have had them replaced for free at the dealer under the recall for push down style coilpacks. If you still have the receipt for them you can can still get aoa to reimburse for them. It took about 3-4 months for my refund but it was worth it.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd Quattro
      03-20-2012 12:25 PM #28
      are you sure that radiator wasn't slightly clogged when you bought it ? was it heavy at all? also good progress

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-20-2012 01:49 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by onel0wcubn View Post
      Lookin good so far!!!!
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimQuattro View Post
      Did you get the coilpacks from ecs? If so you could have had them replaced for free at the dealer under the recall for push down style coilpacks. If you still have the receipt for them you can can still get aoa to reimburse for them. It took about 3-4 months for my refund but it was worth it.
      I haven't had a problem with them "popping" out of place.....yet. I saw a thread about them popping out just out of no where.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiquattro337 View Post
      are you sure that radiator wasn't slightly clogged when you bought it ? was it heavy at all? also good progress
      When I got the radiator, I flushed it with a garden hose to check the flow, all was good. I'm thinking of doing another complete coolant flush tonight but this time I'll use the tiny hole at the heater hose to bleed the air out. If it still doesn't fix it, then I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow.

Coilovers should come in today And I need to start polishing my wheels

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t 5spd Quattro
      03-21-2012 12:53 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Chuckdee View Post
      Thanks!

I haven't had a problem with them "popping" out of place.....yet. I saw a thread about them popping out just out of no where.

When I got the radiator, I flushed it with a garden hose to check the flow, all was good. I'm thinking of doing another complete coolant flush tonight but this time I'll use the tiny hole at the heater hose to bleed the air out. If it still doesn't fix it, then I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow.

Coilovers should come in today And I need to start polishing my wheels
      hmmm well when is it overheating? when you stop? when your in boost? honestly overheating is the easiest thing in the world to fix, i bet we can fix it

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-21-2012 01:47 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Audiquattro337 View Post
      hmmm well when is it overheating? when you stop? when your in boost? honestly overheating is the easiest thing in the world to fix, i bet we can fix it
      OK, i'll make a thread on here and see if i can get some feedback. and it slightly goes past normal after a while of driving but it doesn't go past the next mark on the "hot" side. but coasting for a while it goes back to normal.....idk what it could be.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      98 A4 + 83 GTI
      03-21-2012 04:05 PM #32
      could be your thermostat or water pump. check and see if your coolant is actually flowing through the reservoir, if it isnt, your wp is broken. how well did you actually bleed it? i run mine for about a half hour with the res cap off and pump the lines with my fingers until i dont need to add anymore. it is very tedious to track down a coolant malfunction, but rather easy at the same time.

you can pull out your thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it is opening, then pull it out of the water and see if it contracts after it cools down.
      clean 99 mk3 jetta for sale. 130k James_Le_Mans instagram.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-22-2012 11:27 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by James Himself View Post
      could be your thermostat or water pump. check and see if your coolant is actually flowing through the reservoir, if it isnt, your wp is broken. how well did you actually bleed it? i run mine for about a half hour with the res cap off and pump the lines with my fingers until i dont need to add anymore. it is very tedious to track down a coolant malfunction, but rather easy at the same time.

you can pull out your thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to see if it is opening, then pull it out of the water and see if it contracts after it cools down.

Did the Tstat test on BOTH old and new and they're opening up. So after doing some more research on similar issues, it has to be the water pump. It hasn't been changed out yet and I think when I took my car to the shop, the mechanic that did the diagnosis, said there was a small leak (?) around the water pump. I changed out everything that has to involve with the cooling system INCLUDING the cap, flushed it several times with getting all the air bubbles out and it's still doing it. Plus the upper radiator hose is real hot but the lower one is cold, so no doubt it has to be. Gonna get it changed out tomorrow or during saturday and once the issue is resolved, coils are immediately going on

Edit: forgot to mention that the radiator was flushed out. And for kicks i flushed out the heater core. The heater core was still free flowing.
      Last edited by Chuckdee; 03-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      03-22-2012 11:09 PM #34
      Came in expecting slammed b5. Left very disappointed.
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

10. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      03-22-2012 11:35 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      lol glad I wasn't the first guy to say it.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

11. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-22-2012 11:49 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
      lol glad I wasn't the first guy to say it.

Lol in a couple of days I should be slammed. I dont feel like being slammed with an "slight" overheating issue. As soon as it gets taken care of, I'll hop to it. Trust me I will deliver.....
      If anything, you should see the final product in under 2 weeks (wheels mounted and done up, moar low, etc mods) but the low will very soon come.

don't loose faith!
      Last edited by Chuckdee; 03-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      03-22-2012 11:54 PM #37
      Saves final judgement for 2 weeks from this moment.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

13. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-23-2012 11:18 AM #38
      ^^tank you good sir

SoUpdate:

Cleaned the barrels with a brillo pad and comet last night, **** works! Also soaked my bolts in clr, so I'm gonna clean those out today. Also I'm gonna get my car worked on for the overheating issue and as soon as the problem is cleared, then I'm going straight to installing coilovers.....regardless if it's at night

Vehicles
      Chopped up B5
      03-23-2012 02:39 PM #39
      Love the Style 5s. I almost bought a set last year but figured they wouldn't work with the offsets and adaptors. Can't wait to see them mounted!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-23-2012 10:10 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
      Love the Style 5s. I almost bought a set last year but figured they wouldn't work with the offsets and adaptors. Can't wait to see them mounted!
      I'm totally jealous of your setup, I'd love to have mae's over these ANYDAY!.......perhaps....someday, maybe ?

Yeah the only way these will work will be with a re-drill. the thinnest adapters (19mm) will put the final et at +1....which I haven't seen it on without major work.

Update Water pump and timing belt are being changed tomorrow, practically for free then coilovers go on the same afternoon/evening.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-26-2012 01:31 PM #41
      so another update:

In the mist changing out of the water pump, turns out the PO already did the timing belt, along with everything else that needed to be replaced including the water pump so while putting back everything, the O-ring to go back in the lower rad hose snapped so cause of that, I didn't get to drive my car for the whole weekend. gonna get the replacement o-ring from the stealership today and I should be back on the road.

Then finally....I will install my coilovers!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-29-2012 04:24 PM #42
      Update with PICS!!!

The past week and 1/2 have been.....interesting to say at the least.

Finally replaced the radiator with a used one

along with a new fan blade:

Then after replacing those, the coolant temp kept tiling to the "1 o' clock" position but will go back to the middle after driving. After some research, I decided to replace the coolant temp sensor and Thermostat:

....and it still didn't help out. I dunno what it could it be at this point. Everything I can think of is working condition including the new water pump -___-

...anyways, back to the good stuff. Why have polished lips and still have a dirty barrel? So I cleaned them.

a jar of Comet, a green brillo pad, that brass pad thingy and water is all I need to get them looking brand new

My attempt to polish the bolts failed, so Ima paint them gold:

And last night I spent 6 hours just installing the front coilovers....

I found it easier to remove the large three 17 mm (i used a 5/8 spark socket) to getting the old suspension out. Idk how anyone can remove the two 13 mm bolts on the car.....

(the one bolt in the corner is one of them)

Cut bumpstops Because Moar Low. I don't know if had to but I did just in case.

Switched over the top hats....

and BAM! Business....

Did both at the same time:

...and installed

And that's where we are at the moment. Tonight I'll install the rear setup cause last night I was too tired to go on and it was already 4am......and I had work in the morning

Then finally pics of it being slammed will follow.

Stay Tuned.....

18. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 05:35 PM #43
      You pull the body plugs to get to the 13mm bolts to drop the suspension. But your way works also.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

19. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-30-2012 12:05 PM #44
      It was a TOTAL Bitch to get those plugs off, and that was the least of my problems. Then the angle of those two bolts made it a challenge to undo them.....I said 'efff that' and discovered it was MUCH EASIER to remove the larger three bolts.

So update:
      Finally did the rears but it seems like I forgot to add something back there cause it's clunking somewhere and bouncing a bit too much. Also after letting my car idle for a total of 15 mins and driving slow, coolant burst out from what it seem to be the lower radiator hose. Today ima work on the rears and this coolant issue, then finally I should be polishing the wheels on saturday. Probably squeeze in some time to getting the centers re-drilled. I'll throw some pics up in a little bit.

20. 03-30-2012 03:34 PM #45
      you spoke of epic proportions but you still fitted them with the helpers :confused Your claim may be hard to justify

21. Member
      Vehicles
      03-30-2012 03:39 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by dubbed_up_daz View Post
      you spoke of epic proportions but you still fitted them with the helpers :confused Your claim may be hard to justify
      He still has a week to come up with slammed B5 of epic proportions
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

22. 03-30-2012 03:42 PM #47
      w3rk needs did

23. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-30-2012 03:46 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
      He still has a week to come up with slammed B5 of epic proportions
      Oh you just wait.......just wait and see. I will deliver

24. 03-30-2012 05:07 PM #49
      have you done a compression check yet?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 a4, 1.8t
      03-30-2012 06:02 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by h3ooo View Post
      have you done a compression check yet?
      Turns out the upper rad hose was loose and it popped off....o.O I guess the mechanic that had my car didn't tighten it right? I would run a test but I haven't seen anything that would suspect me that it's a Head Gasket issue. Anywho, gonna work on the rears ina little bit.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast