Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: The Daughters Jetta 01M

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      03-13-2012 12:15 AM #1
      2001 Jetta VR6 01M auto 156k miles.

Engine is on the stand getting a rebuild(head gasket, timing chains/guides). Trans is on the floor. I got no codes from the car prior to the blown head gasket.

Trans shifted normal, but slipped a bit mostly on takeoff. I am thinking while it is out, I might as well rebuild it. Has anyone else done their own rebuild? I have not drained the fluid yet but I expect mud from it.

I have rebuilt several trans(4R100, C6, 4L80E, 700R4, etc), but never a VW, so new to me. Any tips?

I am going to turn this into a 01M rebuild thread as I take pics of the rebuild, but I want input from those with more experience inside these trans.

Right now, I want to know what to watch out for, specs, do I need special tools? etc. while I am rebuilding the motor. Thanks.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 12v 2000 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 2007 Ford Focus 1982 Ford F250 1956 Willys
      03-13-2012 07:24 PM #2
      55 views and nothing. So does that mean it is easy? Or has noone here done it?

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6, Wolfsburg 1.8T, 2004 Durango, 1990 Miata 3.0V6, 1966 AH Sprite
      03-20-2012 10:47 PM #3
      I have the same questions for an 01m on a 2001 VR6. Mine doesn't slip slip that I am aware of, but just started making a noise in first. I see that rebuild kits are available, and wondered about the relative chances of success are good at all if I need hard parts and bearings, along with the questions of special tools, etc. Anyone out there with any experiences or guidance????

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      03-23-2012 09:41 AM #4
      I usually suggest that do-it-yourselfer do not attempt rebuild on auto transmissions themselves, as there is specific info that you wont have access to. yes there are special tools.

The only manual that is available is for the 096. Most of the info is the same for 01m but there are some significant differences. Where items are different you would just have to know.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 11:48 PM #5
      Well, since I got little help, and the "you would just have to know" comment got me ticked. I went ahead and jumped in.

Yes CoolAir, there are differences. How many? A lot. The 096 manual helped a ton, but I was able to pick up info all over the web, and having built transmissions before, I had a good idea what to look for.

During disassembly, I only found three issues, one bad solenoid, and two clutch plates together and two steels together in the same clutch. Probably something missed during the original build. Fluid was brown but otherwise ok. Filter and magnet only showed normal small particles.

This tranny is almost all new inside. A few of the hardparts were reused. All solenoids replaced, even though only one tested bad(EV-6/N93). New harness, clutches/steels/bushings/bearings and more. All sensors new. Valve body rebuilt with Sonnax parts.

I only took two whole pics during the rebuild.

And:

At the bottom of the second pic you can see the pinion bearing retainer removal tool I made.

It is now back together and in the car. Does it work? Dunno yet. As the motor was rebuilt at the same time and I am still waiting for the injectors and a coolant fitting to show up, it should be fired up this weekend.

On Edit: Yes I built this on a folding table in my garage. Same way I built my 4R100 that sits behind my Powerstroke Diesel putting out over 400hp and almost 1000tq at the rear wheels on the dyno. Here is a pic of when I was deep into the 4R100:
      Last edited by Stangrcr1; 04-25-2012 at 12:11 AM.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 10:22 PM #6
      Hope it does well and interested in updates. I went ahead with the manual swap and have it running, but not sure the wife is as OK with it as she let on at the start. Still running on the Auto ECU. My auto was only making a growling noise in 1st and I left it intact for the time being in case I decided to get adventurous with it later. All other functions were working fine. Probably won't go back but interested anyway.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 11:53 PM #7
      Success!

Looks like the rebuild is good.

I have another thread where I rebuilt the motor too: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...0#post77130230

I did not want to do the manual swap as the daughter is not good with sticks, and having to deal with the granddaughter too....

There was a lot to learn doing this 01M rebuild. There is no manual specific to the 01M. I used the 096 manual and a lot of research in remote places for the rest.

I only saw two really special tools needed. One I had(clutch spring compressor) and the other I made(pinion bearing retainer). I also had to buy a 41mm socket and a 22mm internal hex bit. Both off Ebay cheap. Also needed several torque wrenches and adapters(which I have).

I would not recommend the 01M as a first rebuild. It was a pain, mostly from the lack of info side. The assembly itself was not bad once the info was found.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-01-2012 01:03 PM #8
      Even thought you don't recommend it for a first rebuild, it sure would make an interesting thread to read, especially in light of all the negativity toward the O1M's. Maybe it would just reinforce the swap to many, but might temper some of the feelings as well. I know I would read it, but also recognize it is a lot of work. I am putting together some comments on the manual swap that I found to be difficult to interpret just to help others. Nothing I couldnt figure out, but I can help out so am doing so.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 09:29 PM #9
      After having built this, and reading threads on others having problems, I think most of the negativity is that the tranny stopped working before they were ready to do anything about it, even though they knew there was something wrong, and did nothing. That or didn't change the fluid/filter because VW said it was lifetime. Lifetime for the motor, tranny, body, etc. is the end of the warranty from VW. With that said, it is the owners responsibility to take care of the vehicle, and many don't.

If I had just checked the solenoids before opening the tranny, I would have found that I had a bad solenoid. I was just lucky that it had not gotten any worse and the motor blew a head gasket. Without that, the daughter would have driven it till it stopped working and then said "it just stopped and I don't know why." Just like she did with the temp gage pegged blowing the head gasket.

But as it was, it was a good thing I did not just replace the solenoid as one of the clutch sets was going out possibly due to that solenoid.

Biggest problem I have with this car is I don't drive it, it is the daughter's car. I do not get to feel it and notice when it feels different. When it makes a strange sound, etc. I just get reports like "it made a weird vacuum noise"(that was the SAI/combi valve not opening due to broken vacuum lines). Other reason I don't drive it is my knee gets stuck between the console and the steering wheel.

I am rambling. I just wish people would pay more attention to your cars. It will tell you when it wants something. All you have to do is listen, feel, etc.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 09:35 PM #10
      And as a side note, I am not going into business to rebuild transmissions.

I may share some of the knowledge I gained during this rebuild, but thats it.

And no you can't borrow my tools.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2012 10:43 PM #11
      I hear you on the "drive the car and pay attention" comment. I have the same issue, as I am sure many others do. I do have some advantage in the both the wife and I share a race car so her descriptions are better than most, at least along the line of " the car is doing something different and you need to check it out".
      Sounds like I made a good decision not to attempt this as a first automatic to attempt, but I still am curious if I could do it or not. Having done most of the machine and mechanic work for a couple of 14:1 CR 1275 Spridget motors I feel that I could handle it. I'm also in the middle of a drive train swap on a Miata with lots of custom Fabrication. (I read your engine post and thought you would appreciate it). I would love to ask some questions about my 01m and would give you the option to either do it via the forum, PM, or to decline all together. No offence taken at any of the answers. I also appreciate your comment that you are not interested in becoming repair center. If you are like me, and it sounds like you may be, you have no problem lining up more than enough projects" to keep youreself busy.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 02:25 PM #12
      Congratulations on a job well done. I didn't mean to make you mad.

Yours is the 2nd successful internal repair (rebuild??) I know of since I've been following VW 01m's on the internet. I get at least 2 contacts per month that say, "I've rebuilt the 01m and now it does xyz problem." Most of these end with the car being Junked or a used transmission being installed.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 11:43 PM #13
      Richard, you did not make me mad. A comment on the internet is not enough to get riled up about. I was planning on doing the rebuild anyway. I just blew it up a bit for a good story. Although I was ticked you didn't answer my PM.

Thank you for the praise, but I do not feel it is deserved, yet.

I feel most of the reason they are junked is the cost of the rebuild kit/parts. I have payed way less for a rebuild kit that had more stuff in it. The performance kit for my 4r100 with Alto Red Eagle clutches, Kolene steels and clutch packs with more discs cost less than the kit for the 01m.

I don't want to call it successful until it has at least a few thousand on it. It already has over 500 miles on the motor and trans rebuild and all looks good except for a tiny oil leak. Enough to wet the oil pan, but not drip. It did drip the first couple days, but has since slowed. Makes me think it was the oil I spilled down the back of the block before startup. Thought I had wiped it up...

If I had not done transmissions before, I would have sent this one out. Even then, after reading the 096 and 01M manuals from ATSG, I was hesitant as this was my first front drive auto. All the new clutch packs came in within spec, not requiring selective snap rings. The one strange thing was the clutch pack I took out that had friction on one side and steel on the other. The kit I used had standard frictions and steels and went in just a few thousands thicker, but in tolerance. Same number of friction surfaces.

SRB94, ask any way you want. If you are worried about it, PM me. I have heard about the Miata/5.0 swaps. Is that what you are doing? I watched where they did it on HorsepowerTV, or one of those shows on PowerBlock. I learned motor building with Nascar Street Stocks running 358 chevs and 357 Fords at 11:1, full roller, and some Ministock Ford 2.3s and Honda 2.0s running 9k+rpm. Crew chiefed several cars at a local Saturday night asphalt track back in the 90's, and then took the wheel and drove Ministocks at asphalt and dirt tracks til 2008 when my shoulder got hurt pretty bad in a wreck. The transmission knowledge came mostly out of necessity.

Yes, I have enough projects here to keep me busy. Look at the vehicle list at left.

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 06:25 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Stangrcr1 View Post
      ....you didn't answer my PM.....
      I dont specifically remember your PM, so I dont know why I didn't reply to it, but I'm active on 4 forums and get about a dozen "tech help" or "valve body inquiry" emails and PMs a day. Sometimes I do pick and choose what I reply to. Lately I've been alot less active on this forum as my business is swamped.

As a norm I dont answer tech help questions regarding "internal trans" questions as I feel like most folks are "out of their leauge" and shouldn't attempt it. Usually I will at least reply something like what I said above in post number 4 though.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      05-05-2012 12:00 PM #15
      CoolAir, I was just asking in the PM what the part number was for the pinion bearing and if you had one for sale. Thats it. Ended up ordering one elsewhere.

And Richard, I know you said most, but not everyone is "out of their league". Don't automatically assume it, like you did with me...

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2012 10:26 PM #16
      It's been a busy month, and June looks like it will be even more so. Have the Manual swap on the road for about 1k miles now with no issues other than the wife now says she can't drive the car. That will lead to my questions. In the mean time I have another Jetta that came home from college with a problem with the manual trans. Just started putting it back together. Seems the shifter assembly bearings are a weak link and one was completely missing, allowing lots of slack and mis-alignment in the internal linkage.
      Anyway, the wife is interested in getting the auto trans back even though she won't admit it. The one I took out had just over 100k miles and drove fine, except for the sound of a worn bearing while driving in 1st. Some times it seemed to make quite a bit of noise and other times it was barely noticeable to the point I wondered why I was doing anything. All other gears seemed to operate fine but I lost confidence in it and would have gone inside but didn't want to disable the car for an undetermined period, so went the manual route. I did drive it lightly a couple of weeks because the symptoms were very strange to me and I was trying to decide what to do.
      My question for someone much more experienced than myself is should this be a basket case or is a rebuild potentially not that big a deal. I guess I am not looking for it to be like new, but if a dissassembly and reassembly replacing what may be obviously worn parts could be a realistic path to take I am game to give it a go. What would be your thoughts?
      Right now I have a very workable solution for me but my wife is not happy with it. I'm assuming you know how that can be. The reason I offered the PM version is that I didn't want to start something that you were not really interested in letting snowball and it is somewhat off topic, but since it was your thread ???? I also didn't want to offend the moderators. If you don't want to get involved that is fine, I will probably jump in alone this fall anyway as this summer is already mostly spoken for.

Oh yeah, the Miata is a 3.0 liter aluminium Ford V6 from a Lincoln LS (same as the Jag engine) in front of a T5 and an 8.8 Ford IRS grafted into the rear in an aluminum carrier. Total weight gain is approximately 80 pounds from stock. Hope to get it running this summer but it has set for about 2 months now.

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 01:13 AM #17
      I did not have to rebuild the daughters trans. I already had it out when I pulled the motor and decided to go ahead and "make it new" also. 2k miles on it so far and no issues.

For you, and me, I like to keep the wife happy. And if she wants the auto back, then you have your answer.

The motor rebuild took almost two months(machine shop, parts). the trans rebuild was 2 or 3 days as I already had all the parts on hand.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-24-2012 06:41 PM #18
      I know I already have the answer on the transmission and keeping the wife happy. for now we have traded cars but she really doesn't like the Durango tow vehicle that much. My question stems from never having worked on one before. Being a mechanical engineer I am not afraid of it, but do respect the potential to make mistakes. it seems to me that if everything is working well but there is a bearing making noise, then replacing the bearing would make it as good as it was a year ago, minus wear during that year. Is it likely that I could take it apart, find the bearing, replace it, and expect a reasonable result, or is there an inherent problem with just the taking apart that far and re-assembly? Obviously there are gaskets, and seals that should also be replaced at least as needed.

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta Diesel TD, 2001 Beetle GLS, 81 Rabbit Diesel
      05-24-2012 10:26 PM #19
      http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=page05 Found this site. Hope it helps

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-25-2012 10:47 PM #20
      Thanks JP...
      Now that I see it again, I recall having seen some info from that site on the manual transmission but had not gone there to look. It appears to have much more that I currently know, but may still be lacking some details I will need for my level of knowledge and experience, but you have to start somewhere.

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 08:23 PM #21
      Considering the number of bearings in the 01M, and the level of disassembly required for some of them, you would be very close to a rebuild anyway.

I, in my opinion, would not go into a trans planning only to replace one bearing. If one bearing is badly worn/whining, then others are probably going out.