I've been mostly unmotivated over the past few months due to stupid parts failing and causing me nothing but headaches, but I've worked through most of the issues and managed to finish building a few components that were needed to complete the setup.
Last fall, I finally finished some machine work on my fuel rail to accommodate some decent bracketry, so I installed the fuel rail and IE surge tank/044 combo.
The pictures are kind of blurry, but the first pic is with the stock fuel rail and 2 of the 4 oem tabs attached. It was only a temporary solution, and you can see that the injector doesn't sit squarely in the port.
After some machining on an extruded -6 rail, I managed to make some brackets that align with the center line of the injectors, keeping the injectors centered in the manifold.
Next, I built an enclosure that sits just forward of the rear axle beam on the passenger side. The box mounts to 4 of the factory studs, so no drilling was required. The box has a removable lid and the entire assembly is wrapped in dynamat. Right now I'm running -6 pushlock to and from the factory intank pump, and -6 all the way to the rail and back from the regulator. With the lid on and the car idling, the pump is audible, but not unreasonable. With the car moving, you need to strain to hear the pump.
Earlier this winter, I decided to have a go at building a catch can. I'm relatively new to welding aluminum, so be gentle...
Here's the parts layout. The outer pipe is ~4.5" OD, and the inner baffle is a 3" pipe that I machined some slots in. The piece in the center with the ribs is an old cast Garret turbocharger compressor back plate that I turned to the correct diameters (ID and OD).
The idea is that the incoming vapors would impinge on the inner baffle, and hopefully this impingement/mild pressure rise would encourage condensation. The remaining vapor would have to travel ~180 deg around the baffle to reach the "slots", and then the mixture would travel up through the compressor backplate (which separates the inner baffle and outer cylinder) and out through the vents.
Here's a crude picture before welding (it's not well aligned in this shot).
Some assembly shots:
The latest project was installing my electronic boost controller, which is a turbosmart Eboost2. Since I'm running a twin scroll setup and I've got to plumb two wastegates, I wanted to run hardlines for the pressure tubing to/from the solenoid.
Kind of reminds me of the old windows screen saver...
...and a finished shot of the engine bay. I haven't driven the car in awhile, so it's pretty dirty right now. I've got a rain tray cover and some windshield trim that is usually installed, so it does look a bit nicer when its all together.
Now my to do list is...
1) Fix fuel pressure issue. I've got a check valve on the 044 pump but the car still doesn't want to fire immediately after it's been sitting for a while. I think the check valve is either bad or the pressure is bleeding down too quickly through the FPR. Once this is resolved I'll remove that stupid oil pressure gauge that's sticking off my fuel rail
2) Design and build intercooler end tanks. I've got a core here that's the size (HxWxL) that I want, but I need some time to design and make the tanks. The plumbing on the car already goes through the front of the car, so it should be as simple as building/mounting the core and connecting the piping that's already there.
3) Build an exhaust. Right now a 2.5" TT system is on the car from when I bought the car in '03. I'll probably build a 3" aluminum system sometime this summer using vibrants new aluminum mufflers.
4) Coolant hardlines. The SAMCO hoses I have on there are junk and most of them have already been modified in some way to accommodate turbo parts.
5) Build a stainless intake for the turbo and clean up the bubble gum weld I put on the turbo outlet pipe
6) Custom radiator. I had a godspeed radiator for the car but the core was poor quality so I sold it and then refunded the guys money when it leaked anyway
Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for looking