Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finished some updates to the VR6T

1. 09-06-2012 10:50 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthmk1 View Post
      Looks great.
      Where did you get the distribution block from?
      It's made by "Blue Sea", so it's actually intended for marine applications, so I'm guessing that's why they focus on waterproofing. It's about 5x6" in shape and everything seems to be of really high quality. I can find a part number if anyone is interested in this particular model.

2. 09-06-2012 10:51 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Highbeam2 View Post
      Looking good... How does it run?
      I just need to pick up a battery and I'll be running again. The last time I drove it it actually seemed to be running pretty well, aside from the fan issue

The plan is to get the intercooler on there very soon and start beating the snot out of it.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Variety is the spice of life...1. 84 GTi 16vT, 2. 95 Cabrio VR6T, 3. 2010 S1KRR, 4. 09 Honda Pilot
      09-06-2012 11:14 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by leebro61 View Post
      I just need to pick up a battery and I'll be running again. The last time I drove it it actually seemed to be running pretty well, aside from the fan issue

The plan is to get the intercooler on there very soon and start beating the snot out of it.
      LOL Ok What plugs are you running? Gap?

Vehicles
      84 GTI/86 4000q/92 VR6T/07 Rabbit/12 GTI/97 F-350
      09-06-2012 11:27 PM #74
      It's made by "Blue Sea", so it's actually intended for marine applications, so I'm guessing that's why they focus on waterproofing. It's about 5x6" in shape and everything seems to be of really high quality. I can find a part number if anyone is interested in this particular model.
      Thanks

I have an OEM Mk4 unit for powering my fans and fuel pump, but its behind my dash and I want something with more outputs and that is waterproof for under the hood.

5. 09-07-2012 12:07 AM #75
      Beautiful bro, Your one of the ONLY reasons a visit the text from time to time

09-07-2012 08:13 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by benzivr6 View Post
      Wow. OG crowd coming out lately. Haven't seen your name in a while.

Leebro61,
      Any shots of this monster? How's that twin scroll setup working out for you?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

7. 09-07-2012 11:49 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by VRpoweredA2 View Post
      Wow. OG crowd coming out lately. Haven't seen your name in a while.

Leebro61,
      Any shots of this monster? How's that twin scroll setup working out for you?
      Part Number for anyone interested: Blue Sea 7748 SafetyHub 150

The twin scroll setup seems to be working well... the response is great, although I haven't been in an open scroll vr6t in a while to compare it against.

Pics of the car... the outside is still a bit rough, but the interior has been cleaned up a bit. Recaro A8s up front with Corrado Recaro brackets, rear seats and door panels

Here it is on the old JLines. These were 16x8 and 16x8.5. I've since sold these and am in the process of going back to non-staggered 17s. I'm over that phase

8. 09-07-2012 11:51 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by benzivr6 View Post
      Thanks dude! Give me a shout if you ever make it down to SC

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      09-07-2012 04:49 PM #79
      I love the period correct Alpine deck...I'd die if there was a pop up handle at the bottom
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife
      Kicks...Clothes...Cars...Ho's...THINGS I DO BEST!

09-07-2012 08:53 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      I love the period correct Alpine deck...I'd die if there was a pop up handle at the bottom
      Lol benzibox FTMFW

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      09-08-2012 11:50 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by VRpoweredA2 View Post
      Lol benzibox FTMFW

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
      Kids nowadays don't know nuttin' about that. I swear if i could find a decent period correct Benzi, i'd ditch my Clarion Screen. I already have a 90's Amps, 2 90's Kicker VR's (probably the 1st ones...) and an Alpine EQ (10 band)

BTW, EasternBeaver has a better power block then that. Funny as they compare theirs to the one you have. More slots in a much smaller pkg.

*sigh*, after looking at this thread, reminds me that i need to step my game up & start welding.
      Chosen Life Clothing. Streetwear for the car culture. Launch Party coming very soon!!
      Meet Long Island The place if you're looking for a euro GTG in the Long Isl./New York City area.
      FaceBook: Carlitus Christensen Sr. - Instagram: @ThatDreadLife - Twitter: @ThatDreadLife

12. 09-09-2012 11:50 PM #82
      Yeah what's good my dude (VRpoweredA2) Yeah been busy doing other stuff for the past couple, but ust takin it easy

Yeah Lee imma be down in SC hopefully Thanksgiving time to visit my folks and to visit my car as well

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      09-10-2012 01:24 AM #83
      Get that thing back to NY there buddy.

Car looks awesome as usual Lee. Wish I had you're patience. lol

14. 09-10-2012 06:37 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by dasbeast3.0 View Post
      Get that thing back to NY there buddy.

Car looks awesome as usual Lee. Wish I had you're patience. lol
      Only way I will bring it back is if you decide to keep yours forever, lol

Vehicles
      Grizzly bear
      09-10-2012 10:14 AM #85
      hahah honestly I don't have much choice, looks like its staying for the long haul.

16. 09-10-2012 01:02 PM #86
      BTW, EasternBeaver has a better power block then that. Funny as they compare theirs to the one you have. More slots in a much smaller pkg.
      Got a link? I just googled easternbeaver and found one of their power blocks on their website. It is definitely smaller, but the one I found (IMO) is not better. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot though

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      09-10-2012 10:06 PM #87
      EasternBeaver.com?

After looking at the one you have again, i see its made more for what you're using it for & even though EB's block is made for a motorcycle, we (Me & the folks i turned it on to....Highbeam has one) use it inside the car for all the acc. In my car it powers all my gauges, my Dakota Digital Fan Controller, AVCR, w/m controller, & radio. This way i don't have 10 power wires going all over the place. I mounted it on the tunnel under the center console. Only wires coming from the fuse box is Power, switched & ground. It concentrates all the wiring to the back of the console.

18. 09-11-2012 09:24 AM #88
      EasternBeaver.com?

After looking at the one you have again, i see its made more for what you're using it for & even though EB's block is made for a motorcycle, we (Me & the folks i turned it on to....Highbeam has one) use it inside the car for all the acc. In my car it powers all my gauges, my Dakota Digital Fan Controller, AVCR, w/m controller, & radio. This way i don't have 10 power wires going all over the place. I mounted it on the tunnel under the center console. Only wires coming from the fuse box is Power, switched & ground. It concentrates all the wiring to the back of the console.
      Yeah... I found the easternbeaver link but I couldn't find the one that was "better" , so I assumed they had a few different options and I wasn't looking at the right fuse panel. It looks like the EB unit would be good for exactly what you guys are using it for, but I definitely think the one I have is the better option for what/where/how I'm using it. I will be adding another distribution box in the interior at some point so I can easily/cleanly get key switch/fused power to all of my interior accessories (gauges, wideband, ecu, boost controller, etc.) and I will definitely consider the EB unit for that job

I got lazy and ordered a battery bracket to put my optima in the hatch. I was originally going to build something, but decided time would be better spent elsewhere. It will still take some doing mounting everything up nicely though...

Vehicles
      MK4 R32
      09-12-2012 10:44 AM #89
      Long time no speak Mr Brozyna

I'm glad to see your intake came together nicely I would have liked to try one but I went 3.2 24V in the end.

The turbo manifold is something else! A thing of beauty Loving all the hardlines and overall attention to detail. If only all VRTs were built like this, then they wouldn't earn themselves a reputation for being unreliable

20. 09-12-2012 02:42 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by kevhayward View Post
      Long time no speak Mr Brozyna

I'm glad to see your intake came together nicely I would have liked to try one but I went 3.2 24V in the end.

The turbo manifold is something else! A thing of beauty Loving all the hardlines and overall attention to detail. If only all VRTs were built like this, then they wouldn't earn themselves a reputation for being unreliable
      Thanks for the kind words Kev

Feel free to post up some pics of your new setup. I always enjoyed seeing it as a 12v and I'm sure it's even nicer with the 3.2

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      09-19-2012 12:42 PM #91
      Looking great Lee. Love that weatherproof Disto panel!

S

Vehicles
      MK4 R32
      09-28-2012 02:10 PM #92
      Thanks for the kind words Kev

Feel free to post up some pics of your new setup. I always enjoyed seeing it as a 12v and I'm sure it's even nicer with the 3.2
      Hey Lee!

Mine's nothing exciting any more. The R32 motor is smooth and charismatic, but I'm really missing my old VRT engine's grunt!

I don't like oiled cotton filters and MAFs. They're not a happy partnership in my experience, so the stock Corrado airbox and paper filter were a must from the outset. It's probably choking the top end a little, but I'm happy to sacrifice a few horses for a more OEM look.

My mech doing his mapping magic to iron out the R32's vicious low rpm throttle response and delete all the Haldex / ABS / Steering angle / instruments / powertrain fault codes. Bone stock motor and map gave a respectable 260hp @ the fly. It will suffice for now. I'm sure a GT35R will find it's way on there before long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjG4O...re=context-cha
      Last edited by kevhayward; 09-28-2012 at 02:14 PM.

23. 09-28-2012 04:50 PM #93
      It looks quite at home in there! If you get bored eventually and do go turbo again and you're looking for a turbo manifold, let me know. I'm sure we can come up with something for the R motor and Corrado fitment

Vehicles
      MK4 R32
      10-03-2012 11:41 AM #94
      Absolutely I'd be wanting to run the stock intake this time. This engine kills any VRT up to 3000rpm, so I'm wanting to hang onto that crazy low end torque

I think the R32 intake is happy with up to a bar of boost, but I'll only need 8-10psi with a FWD car. I'll still be looking at 400 or more crank power with that So yes, a manifold that could sit under the intake nicely would be great

P.S. I ran the R motor with my DTA standalone initially. It would have been rude not to really! Obviously ME7 has unbeatable idle and lambda control but everywhere else, it drove a lot nicer with the DTA. Just something to consider if you ever take the 24V plunge

25. 10-06-2012 09:59 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by kevhayward View Post
      Absolutely I'd be wanting to run the stock intake this time. This engine kills any VRT up to 3000rpm, so I'm wanting to hang onto that crazy low end torque

I think the R32 intake is happy with up to a bar of boost, but I'll only need 8-10psi with a FWD car. I'll still be looking at 400 or more crank power with that So yes, a manifold that could sit under the intake nicely would be great

P.S. I ran the R motor with my DTA standalone initially. It would have been rude not to really! Obviously ME7 has unbeatable idle and lambda control but everywhere else, it drove a lot nicer with the DTA. Just something to consider if you ever take the 24V plunge
      The stock intake manifold would definitely make things more challenging without having the car for mockup I would say that you could do a twin scroll setup to try to help response, but even so, a variable geometry intake manifold is going to be tough to beat for low end performance

I finally wrapped up the battery relocation, just need to reinstall the last of the interior panels from the positive cable routing.

I lowered the tank a few inches so I could drill the rear floor and add nutserts to bolt the battery tray to. The battery tray is from Boese engineering () where apparently they machine their parts with a hammer and chisel. The tool marks on this part look pretty savage, like they had cut 100,000 other parts on the same bit. Anyway, I nutserted the floor, then I sanded the paint off and nutserted a small strip on the trunk floor for the battery ground. There is an inline fuse holder that bolts down right behind the center of the rear seats. The power wire then runs to my auxilliary fuse box, pictured in previous posts.

View from the rear of the car:

View with the passenger rear seat folder forward:

Engine bay sans battery:

Still a mess, but now without a pile of wires:

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      10-06-2012 11:58 AM #96
      I hate you.

Edit: Can you make me a coolant pipe setup like yours (i'm using an mk3 rad ). I'm gonna PM you now...
      Last edited by Capt.Dreadz; 10-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, MKVI GTI, Honda VTX1800F
      10-06-2012 12:33 PM #97
      The battery setup is pretty slick Nice work on everything, looks amazing.
      Project 16v Lysholm

"I hope you go commando, otherwise your panties would always be in a bunch"

Vehicles
      1987 StarQuest
      10-25-2012 11:29 AM #98
      Looks so good! Cant wait to see you IC end tanks

29. 12-21-2012 04:51 PM #99
      Got some new wheels, built a new intake pipe for the turbo and went out for some datalogging today. On my first pull, I thought I was hitting boost cut. Turns out, it was the rev limiter lol

Second gear, still just on baby boost...

New wheels, BBS RS-GT 17x7.5 et35 all around

Vehicles
      1987 StarQuest
      12-21-2012 05:17 PM #100
      Damn that looks fun!

31. 02-03-2013 10:35 PM #101
      I finally broke down and bought an "off the shelf" intercooler. I still want to build a custom one some day, but this one will more than handle the power I am looking for and let me move forward with the rest of the build. It also has pretty reasonably designed and nicely cast end tanks, so that definitely made it an easier decision.

Garrett core, ~18" x 10.5" x 3" with 2.5" inlet/outlet (OD). Rated for 600hp.

The first step was cutting the rebar to accommodate the core. I then put some 2" holesaw cuts on the front of the rebar to allow some airflow to the middle of the core (the bumper has holes also).

Then I welded on some v-band flanges (2.5" inlet, 2.75" outlet).

And some threaded mounting bosses onto the top.

Then I went back and welded the inside of the v-band flanges to give me some material to port out so that I can area match the piping to the core.

Here is an idea of how big of a step there was before I added the filler... not good!

Then, mounted on the car. The core basically squeezes exactly between the lower support and the upper radiator support. The center support bar had been removed long ago. Two bolts thread down from the top of the radiator support behind the grill and I use these to hold and level the core. The core is neither leveled nor centered in these pics, so keep that in mind

I test fit it with the bumper and rebar and the bumper fits exactly like stock, so that's a good thing. The only thing left to do is modify the piping to connect to my hot side upper pipe and then add a coupler on the cold side to allow some flex (due the connection at the IC being solid mounted).

Next project is an ignition switch... I'm having a weird issue where after turning the car off the key switched power accessories will turn back on

Vehicles
      92' Slc 93' Drag car
      02-04-2013 09:39 PM #102
      Good or should i say great work as usual lee. There is not alot of room for air to air intercoolers on rado's. Did you set up the eboost2 for boost by gear?

33. 02-05-2013 12:25 AM #103
      Thanks Sam! I really haven't gotten around to playing with the eboost2 very much. I'm actually still having an issue controlling boost with it at this point. If you look in the manual there are about a dozen different ways of configuring the solenoid/signal lines based on the configuration you want to control. I tried the "two port, single solenoid, twin turbo connection" detailed at the top of page 12 of the user manual and even with the eboost2 gain value set to "0.0" I'm still hitting my boost cut at ~12.5 psig on ~8 psig wastegate springs. I know I'm not outflowing the gates because I was able to regulate boost when I had them set to just run off spring pressure. I'm thinking about grabbing a four port solenoid and trying one of the configurations that advertise enabling a wider range of boost control. I'll report back with what I find

At least the intercooler will allow me to bump up the boost cut a bit more to see if/when the controller starts doing something

Vehicles
      VRT's & 2.7T's
      02-05-2013 07:58 AM #104
      You do awesome work as usual Lee. There's always some motivation for me in this thread.

35. 02-05-2013 08:42 AM #105
      You do awesome work as usual Lee. There's always some motivation for me in this thread.
      Thanks man, I really appreciate the kind words

I finally finished grad school a few months back, so I promised myself that now that I have some free time I will actually make something happen with this car

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast