Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What can you haul in your mini-van?

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg Executive; '95 Jetta GL; '76 Riviera Bus; '72 Squareback; '06 Ducati SC 1000
      03-13-2012 10:11 AM #1
      How about a motorcycle?
      http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport...ml#post1297718

Not my bike nor van.
      95 Jetta GL 2.0L, chipped, intake, exhaust, compression, cam, close-ratio w/Peloquin, etc.
      72 VW Squareback, rag top, 2.0L, parents original owners
      76 VW Riviera Bus, the family camper -- '13 Touareg Executive
      06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000...only motorcycles can feed the need for speed

2. Member
      Vehicles
      58 Ragtop Bug, 2005 Passat Wagon, 2010 Routan SEL
      03-13-2012 11:00 AM #2
      I've been tempted to try to see if my three wheeler would fit or my sons quad, but I know that wouldn't go over to well! Ours is for human/dog consumption only
      1958 VW Ragtop Bug
      2005 VW Passat Wagon
      2010 VW Routan SEL

Be sure to check out the Original Routan Dead Pedal Click Here

Vehicles
      2011 Routan, 2006 Passat sedan
      03-30-2012 02:15 PM #3
      I hauled a refrigerator,
      awasher and dryer (together),
      a treadmill along with my wife, my 2 kids and me,
      and a twin bed with my wife my 2 kids and me in the van, no mattress,but the springbox was there.

Wish I had it when I moved last year
      The terror of Jersey's Highways... Beware of the VW family...

4. 04-02-2012 11:35 AM #4
      A friend of mine just hauled a car with his old Windstar. The towing capacity of these minivans isn't that shabby when you look at it. Though, rather than putting stuff in, I prefer a trailer.

To this point, only large things I've put in the minivan has been boxes from IKEA runs and some doors I had to take the to dump once. But, I have a pickup to do most of my heavy hauling with.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg Executive; '95 Jetta GL; '76 Riviera Bus; '72 Squareback; '06 Ducati SC 1000
      04-02-2012 11:25 PM #5
      To pull a trailer you need a hitch. Some people have limited budgets so even a trailer can not be part of the equation. I think of our van as someone mentioned before, an enclosed pick-up truck

Yes, a truck with a hitch with a trailer would be great! But until that day comes...
      95 Jetta GL 2.0L, chipped, intake, exhaust, compression, cam, close-ratio w/Peloquin, etc.
      72 VW Squareback, rag top, 2.0L, parents original owners
      76 VW Riviera Bus, the family camper -- '13 Touareg Executive
      06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000...only motorcycles can feed the need for speed

Vehicles
      '13 Touareg VR6, '12 Golf R,'12 LEAF, '08 smart
      04-15-2012 10:22 AM #6
      This is where minivan excel's, with our Routan we've moved the younger son's entire college related stuff several times and still had the 2nd row seats in it. The previous '97 DGC moved the older son's stuff but needed one 2nd row seat out as he was a computer science major and had servers and a lot more computer stuff (LAN parties for those who know that stuff) as well as just about a condo's worth of other things. The interesting aspect is that we passed a neighbors Jeep Grand Cherokee on one trip out, they had their daughter and it was loaded down along with a roof carrier with more stuff! If they had our van I'm sure the stuff would fit as about a year later they swapped the Jeep for a Chrys T&C with daughter #2. We've also moved a large three cushion couch, lazy boy recliner, etc. w/o having to leave the rear door open --- saving delivery fees and getting it of course the same day as when we bought it, nice!

Vehicles
      Current: '86 QSW, '87 GTi VR6, '09 Routan, '14 Passat TSi
      04-16-2012 07:01 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by early74B View Post
      This is where minivan excel's, with our Routan we've moved the younger son's entire college related stuff several times and still had the 2nd row seats in it. The previous '97 DGC moved the older son's stuff but needed one 2nd row seat out as he was a computer science major and had servers and a lot more computer stuff (LAN parties for those who know that stuff) as well as just about a condo's worth of other things. The interesting aspect is that we passed a neighbors Jeep Grand Cherokee on one trip out, they had their daughter and it was loaded down along with a roof carrier with more stuff! If they had our van I'm sure the stuff would fit as about a year later they swapped the Jeep for a Chrys T&C with daughter #2. We've also moved a large three cushion couch, lazy boy recliner, etc. w/o having to leave the rear door open --- saving delivery fees and getting it of course the same day as when we bought it, nice!
      While I've hauled similar things in my Routan, the thing that amazes me the most is how it hauls people. 2 weeks ago I had 6 full sized adults in the car with me, with all their bags etc, plus I was pulling my 14ft box trailer that was full of equipment. We were all comfortable!! Couldn't even tell it was loaded up, was cruising 80 easily with no issues. Love the Routan for many reasons, have two kids etc.