Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive slump?

Vehicles
      '06 Cooper S (#squaresidewallcrew), LS400 drift car
      03-13-2012 12:40 PM #1
      You ever get stuck in a slump where you don't know or can't figure out what to buy and are stuck with a car you really don't like to drive or own at all?

Doesn't help my mind changes on an hourly basis, but what I do know is that I want back into a Honda product...stupid for ever leaving I use to love driving everywhere, now its more of a chore than anything and I rather just lay in my room watching TV...yes I really dislike my car that much.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean City PD View Post
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

2. 03-13-2012 12:41 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by nismo4life View Post
      You ever get stuck in a slump where you don't know or can't figure out what to buy and are stuck with a car you really don't like?
      That is why you own multiple vehicles, then you do not need to really worry. Get tired of one you can sell it and look for a new toy, all while still having a vehicle you like to get around in.

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 12:44 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      That is why you own multiple vehicles, then you do not need to really worry. Get tired of one you can sell it and look for a new toy, all while still having a vehicle you like to get around in.
      This is the first time in quite a while that I have only owned 1 vehicle...I don't like it.
      (ie....red light challenges, running over the hood of police cars etc.) Yes we watch youtube also....
      '09 Honda Ruckus

4. 03-13-2012 12:47 PM #4
      This is the first time in quite a while that I have only owned 1 vehicle...I don't like it.
      I only have one running vehicle right now too.
      It is a little sad to be left with only one choice each day. But sometimes that is just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Maybe look into swapping cars with a friend for a little.

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 01:08 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      I only have one running vehicle right now too.
      It is a little sad to be left with only one choice each day. But sometimes that is just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Maybe look into swapping cars with a friend for a little.
      I'm looking into selling my S4 actually. Just can't decide if I want to get back into a really clean AP1 S2000 or a supercharged RSX for a daily. I've had both before and love them equally .
      '09 Honda Ruckus

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      03-13-2012 01:16 PM #6
      You ever get stuck in a slump where you don't know or can't figure out what to buy and are stuck with a car you really don't like to drive or own at all?

Doesn't help my mind changes on an hourly basis, but what I do know is that I want back into a Honda product...stupid for ever leaving I use to love driving everywhere, now its more of a chore than anything and I rather just lay in my room watching TV...yes I really dislike my car that much.
      What kind of car are you driving? Please don't say it's less than 10 years old.

Overall, this thread reeks of "1st World Problems".

Count your blessings and be glad that you have a car and a roof over your head.

Vehicles
      Don't you know I sold them all...
      03-13-2012 01:21 PM #7
      sounds like you need to get out from behind the keyboard and go drive cars.. with friends, off a dealer lot, hertz, whatever... it will either make you appreciate your car even more, or hate it more, thus convincing you to get a car you actually like.
      Quote Originally Posted by Amsterdam087 View Post
      its not your car...

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      03-13-2012 01:44 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post

Why does someone have to pull this card in every thread like this?

It's irrelevant.

And yes, I'm in that rut right now. Miss having two cars. Miss having something fun.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      1994/VW/JETTA/GLX 2014/Ford/FIESTA ST
      03-13-2012 01:49 PM #9
      You should base your car choice off of what you need it for, and if you want to do anything to it, would it be a good car to start with.
      VRSociety #293

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
      03-13-2012 01:50 PM #10
      yes.. for almost a year before I found one..

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 01:52 PM #11

B5 S4. I am blessed with more than that and am thankful, but thats not the point of the thread.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 01:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by FiveAinOne View Post
      yes.. for almost a year before I found one..
      What is it that you got, the MS Miata?
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 01:56 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 GLX Man View Post
      You should base your car choice off of what you need it for, and if you want to do anything to it, would it be a good car to start with.
      Need it for: Driving to school/work
      Want to do: Depending on the car, roots supercharging or basic i/h/e bolt ons
      What it has to do: Give me a grin that hurts my face.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      03-13-2012 02:02 PM #14

Oh please. This is a message board based in the US with members mostly in N. America and Europe. I would say everything is a 'first world problem.' Who cares?

OP, I get it. I havent any cars at the moment and understand your feelings. Im trying to decide if I want to get an MGB and build it up or a Range Rover Classic and build it up. Cannot do both and neither will do everything.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-13-2012 02:04 PM #15
      I use to love driving everywhere, now its more of a chore than anything and I rather just lay in my room watching TV...yes I really dislike my car that much.

Sell current car, buy what you want. Problem solved. I don't understand the issue here.

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      Oh please. This is a message board based in the US with members mostly in N. America and Europe. I would say everything is a 'first world problem.' Who cares?

OP, I get it. I havent any cars at the moment and understand your feelings. Im trying to decide if I want to get an MGB and build it up or a Range Rover Classic and build it up. Cannot do both and neither will do everything.
      Would you regret one over the other?
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:09 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Sell current car, buy what you want. Problem solved. I don't understand the issue here.
      No issue here, see first sentence for clarification of thread. Not looking for input on my problem personally, just looking to exchange feelings with users in the same scenario or something similar. Seeing what they decided to do, etc. Essentially, using the message board for what it was design for...conversating.

Fwiw, I am looking for something to replace my S4 with, I'm just very very picky.
      Last edited by nismo4life; 03-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R
      03-13-2012 02:24 PM #18
      I have the opposite problem kind of...

My mkv gti is stg 2 and it does most things so well i CANT justify getting rid of it! Love the engine, love the size, both internally and externally, love the drive sans the fwd. Only complaint is fwd dynamics.

This normally wouldnt be an issue, but being 6'6" means i cant fit in a large amount of cars, makeing my options limited.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      03-13-2012 02:25 PM #19
      OP - the solution is not on four wheels.

Last edited by TurboWraith; 03-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      03-13-2012 02:25 PM #20
      Would you regret one over the other?
      Probably. Ive always been an MG and Rover guy. One will let me have fun on the roads, blast through local twisties and have fun at track days and/ or autocrosses. The other would be a gas/ diesel hog but allow me to go four wheeling and camping. If Im realistic, I only go wheeling and camping once a month (twice if Im lucky) but I would miss the ability to do it. A Rover is not that fun on the street and will get worse mileage. The mpg to fun factor heavily leans MGB.

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:30 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by MKV Aaron View Post
      I have the opposite problem kind of...

My mkv gti is stg 2 and it does most things so well i CANT justify getting rid of it! Love the engine, love the size, both internally and externally, love the drive sans the fwd. Only complaint is fwd dynamics.

This normally wouldnt be an issue, but being 6'6" means i cant fit in a large amount of cars, makeing my options limited.
      Guess its time to save up for a 911 then ehy? At least your in the VAG family technically.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-13-2012 02:31 PM #22
      Yep. In one now.
      And I have multiple cars. I don't want to drive or work on any of them.

Unfortunately, its been going on for months, and if I really think back its probably closer to a year where I have just not wanted to do anything car related.

I did sell a car back in Sept, that felt good. I actually didn't mind working on it, and having $3k back in my pocket was nice.

Now I need to do that 2-3 more times. Having 5 cars with 2 drivers is just not what I need or want right now.

What's weird is my slump has me pulled in two directions.
      One way is to sell everything and drive around my absolute piece of crap 96 Civic.

The other is to sell everything and buy a Golf R, 335d or maybe an e39 m5.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:31 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      OP - the solution is not on four wheels.

Link is broken, but I got 2 wheels covered already
      Edit: Nvm, yeah I can't own a bike larger than a 250. I'll kill myself lol.

'09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:33 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by morecarsthanbrains View Post
      Probably. Ive always been an MG and Rover guy. One will let me have fun on the roads, blast through local twisties and have fun at track days and/ or autocrosses. The other would be a gas/ diesel hog but allow me to go four wheeling and camping. If Im realistic, I only go wheeling and camping once a month (twice if Im lucky) but I would miss the ability to do it. A Rover is not that fun on the street and will get worse mileage. The mpg to fun factor heavily leans MGB.
      I say MGB .
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:35 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      Yep. In one now.
      And I have multiple cars. I don't want to drive or work on any of them.

Unfortunately, its been going on for months, and if I really think back its probably closer to a year where I have just not wanted to do anything car related.

I did sell a car back in Sept, that felt good. I actually didn't mind working on it, and having $3k back in my pocket was nice.

Now I need to do that 2-3 more times. Having 5 cars with 2 drivers is just not what I need or want right now.

What's weird is my slump has me pulled in two directions.
      One way is to sell everything and drive around my absolute piece of crap 96 Civic.

The other is to sell everything and buy a Golf R, 335d or maybe an e39 m5.
      Hah. One of my scenarios is similar. Buy <$1000 beater and bank, or Buy [insert high revving honda] and ejaculate vtec's over errrrrbody. I almost have enough money saved up to put a really solid downpayment on a house once I sell my S4...then again I could turn around and be totally irresponsible and buy an NSX :X
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      03-13-2012 02:39 PM #26

I am in that situation, and I pretty much blame Honda for it. When I picked up my 2010 Si, I planned on driving it until the 9th Gen Si came out, and then I was going to be set for another 3-5 years. Once I learned they chopped the redline and dropped a parts bin K24 in there, my heart hit the floor...and then I saw the interior and that was the end of it. My lease was nearing the end on my 2010, so as a "hold over" car, I picked up a used hybrid they had on the lot. I could have bought out the Si I guess, but the numbers were so close between the hybrid and the buyout that I decided to sit on the sidelines and commute with a bit for efficiency until I figured out what I wanted to do. I still haven't figured it out
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-13-2012 02:42 PM #27
      Hah. One of my scenarios is similar. Buy <$1000 beater and bank, or Buy [insert high revving honda] and ejaculate vtec's over errrrrbody. I almost have enough money saved up to put a really solid downpayment on a house once I sell my S4...then again I could turn around and be totally irresponsible and buy an NSX :X
      yeah the beater civic cost me $1k.
      it needs about $500 to be truly daily driveable though.

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-13-2012 02:42 PM #28
      Yeah I do have these feelings as well.
      I too, hate going out and driving becomes a chore because I hate my car. For example, my MKIV, needs a suspension refresh. I hate driving that thing as it is right now, solely because of the suspension. Everything else is great though. My BMW, well it stopped working, lol. I logged a crap load of miles on it and the engine is worn out. It burns a ton of oil each week and I'm looking to junk it by the end of this month. My MKV OTOH, is fairly new and works pretty good. All it needs right now are new brakes. However, I'm used to my bmw's power and the MKIV's lower weight (I have the 2.5 150hp version).
      I was looking to buy either another BMW, either a 335, or an E30 as a "fun" car, or one of those E38s because I love the way they look. But maintenance issues are terrible on the e38.
      Another option was a G37, but 3 of my friends have G37s and my neighbor has a G35 and he's pretty competitive and the jealous type and I don't want him to be all annoying about how I'm trying to better than him, etc like he did last time.
      Or, a MKVI Jetta because I love jettas in general and the new one is pretty nice IMO, or maybe a used MKV GTI? Those are going for pretty cheap.
      Or, just change it up and get American muscle, something with a 5.0+ V8 and manual trans.
      I just can't make up my mind!!!
      Oh and I don't want to sell my current cars. My MKIV is driven by my sister (I take care of the car and I let her drive it because I'm an amazing big brother) and my MKV I'm giving to my mother because I'm an amazing son. I'm also moving to the bahamas so I won't even need a car at the moment lol.
      Anyway this post is too long and deserves a CSB.

Op, may I suggest a newer S4?
      mujjuman

29. 03-13-2012 02:50 PM #29
      Spend your money on what makes you happy.

No use in having a 2000 square foot home with nice furniture and 60 inch TV if you hate driving your stupid car.

Make your car a priority. Life is too short to ever have a car you don't like.

NSX is awesome, but S2000s are pretty cheap right now and the pool of clean ones is shrinking. 2009 was the last year, but they only really made them in good numbers until 2006-07 or so which is five years now.

After five years, cars like this start to get harder to find not trashed out.

Also, if you love Honda, you will also love Miata. I am Honda guy and I loved my NB Miata more than my RSX-S.

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:56 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      I am in that situation, and I pretty much blame Honda for it. When I picked up my 2010 Si, I planned on driving it until the 9th Gen Si came out, and then I was going to be set for another 3-5 years. Once I learned they chopped the redline and dropped a parts bin K24 in there, my heart hit the floor...and then I saw the interior and that was the end of it. My lease was nearing the end on my 2010, so as a "hold over" car, I picked up a used hybrid they had on the lot. I could have bought out the Si I guess, but the numbers were so close between the hybrid and the buyout that I decided to sit on the sidelines and commute with a bit for efficiency until I figured out what I wanted to do. I still haven't figured it out
      I was ready to buy an 8th gen Civic Si sedan...until I found out they have the same 3rd gear syncro problem as the RSX and I rather fix it on a car that I paid 5-7k for rather than 15...oh and I also took it out of consideration after the test drive where I drove it off the road because the steering is so light and numb
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 02:58 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
      Yeah I do have these feelings as well.
      I too, hate going out and driving becomes a chore because I hate my car. For example, my MKIV, needs a suspension refresh. I hate driving that thing as it is right now, solely because of the suspension. Everything else is great though. My BMW, well it stopped working, lol. I logged a crap load of miles on it and the engine is worn out. It burns a ton of oil each week and I'm looking to junk it by the end of this month. My MKV OTOH, is fairly new and works pretty good. All it needs right now are new brakes. However, I'm used to my bmw's power and the MKIV's lower weight (I have the 2.5 150hp version).
      I was looking to buy either another BMW, either a 335, or an E30 as a "fun" car, or one of those E38s because I love the way they look. But maintenance issues are terrible on the e38.
      Another option was a G37, but 3 of my friends have G37s and my neighbor has a G35 and he's pretty competitive and the jealous type and I don't want him to be all annoying about how I'm trying to better than him, etc like he did last time.
      Or, a MKVI Jetta because I love jettas in general and the new one is pretty nice IMO, or maybe a used MKV GTI? Those are going for pretty cheap.
      Or, just change it up and get American muscle, something with a 5.0+ V8 and manual trans.
      I just can't make up my mind!!!
      Oh and I don't want to sell my current cars. My MKIV is driven by my sister (I take care of the car and I let her drive it because I'm an amazing big brother) and my MKV I'm giving to my mother because I'm an amazing son. I'm also moving to the bahamas so I won't even need a car at the moment lol.
      Anyway this post is too long and deserves a CSB.

Op, may I suggest a newer S4?
      Considering Audi recommends a timing chain service @ 100k and the timing chain faces the transmission, I'll pass. I don't think I'll be able to afford a B6 S4 and I can't afford a B8. Believe it or not, Cost of ownership on an NSX is lower than most Audi's O_O. My first car was an 02 RSX-S and thus my bond with Honda was born. Honestly I don't know why I bought the S4, but I need a high torque band engine in my life again...considering the BRZ but don't want to spend that much whilst trying to look for a condo :/
      '09 Honda Ruckus

32. 03-13-2012 03:00 PM #32
      Fwiw, I am looking for something to replace my S4 with, I'm just very very picky.
      What are your requirements?

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 03:02 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Spend your money on what makes you happy.

No use in having a 2000 square foot home with nice furniture and 60 inch TV if you hate driving your stupid car.

Make your car a priority. Life is too short to ever have a car you don't like.

NSX is awesome, but S2000s are pretty cheap right now and the pool of clean ones is shrinking. 2009 was the last year, but they only really made them in good numbers until 2006-07 or so which is five years now.

After five years, cars like this start to get harder to find not trashed out.

Also, if you love Honda, you will also love Miata. I am Honda guy and I loved my NB Miata more than my RSX-S.
      Let me get your opinion then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

I really want that, but am afraid of getting burned by the dealer. I also have a mental block of paying over 10k for that car. I bought my last S with 98k on it for 8k. I figured 9,500 would be a good price for it, dealer won't take me seriously with over the phone offers and there is a solid 1,500 miles between us for me to chance it to go out there to get turned down. It looks so mint though, look at the steering wheel, the leather looks brand new...
      '09 Honda Ruckus

34. Banned
      03-13-2012 03:27 PM #34
      It's human nature. EVERYTHING gets boring.

Be thankful it's with a car and not a wife of 20 years.

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 03:30 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubChaos View Post
      It's human nature. EVERYTHING gets boring.

Be thankful it's with a car and not a wife of 20 years.
      LOL.
      '09 Honda Ruckus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast