Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What is wrong with my back?

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      03-13-2012 05:03 PM #1
      Every now and then I'll feel a small pinch while working out in the upper middle area if my spine or slightly left or right of it. It usually doesn't hurt so much that it interrupts me from finishing the workout but afterwards it causes my back to tighten up and hurt for a few days. Usually lasts 3-5 days.

Whenever this happens it's usually during something simple. For instance it happened Sunday during my freakin warmup. I stepped under the unloaded squat bar and when I got into position I felt a pinch.

Activity usually makes the pain go away, for instance I woke up stuff and in some pain this morning, stretched and played ice hockey and didn't feel a thing until after my nap. I just woke up for work and was tight again.

It's the kind of pain that you feel it when you lower your chin to your chest. I'd like to know what it is exactly, muscle pull or a nerve or whatever. And If there's something I can do to prevent it. It's annoying because I don't want to miss any workouts.

Any ideas?

2. 03-13-2012 06:34 PM #2
      I had this same problem (it sounds like) tony helped me with it

do you unrack the bar with both feet, or just one?

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 06:50 PM #3
      Both, but it's not specifically related to squatting. This is something I get every now and then, other things have triggered it. Last time it was barbell rows, but it was a warmup set as well. Other times it's happened just un-racking dumb bells for bench press.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      03-13-2012 09:15 PM #4
      I get those once in a while. Usually right between my shoulder blade and spine. It might hurt all day, but when I go to sleep and wake up, it's gone. It's an odd little thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

5. Member
      03-13-2012 10:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Every now and then I'll feel a small pinch while working out in the upper middle area if my spine or slightly left or right of it. It usually doesn't hurt so much that it interrupts me from finishing the workout but afterwards it causes my back to tighten up and hurt for a few days. Usually lasts 3-5 days.

Whenever this happens it's usually during something simple. For instance it happened Sunday during my freakin warmup. I stepped under the unloaded squat bar and when I got into position I felt a pinch.

Activity usually makes the pain go away, for instance I woke up stuff and in some pain this morning, stretched and played ice hockey and didn't feel a thing until after my nap. I just woke up for work and was tight again.

It's the kind of pain that you feel it when you lower your chin to your chest. I'd like to know what it is exactly, muscle pull or a nerve or whatever. And If there's something I can do to prevent it. It's annoying because I don't want to miss any workouts.

Any ideas?
      I get something similar and I'll tell you what my PT told me: you have these tiny little muscles called multifidus that "knit" your vertabrae together. Because of their proximity to the spine, they're actually incredibly powerful. They are also the first muscles in the back to activate when called upon.

Sometimes they spasm and the vertebrae become a bit "sticky". When it happens to me, my PT evaluates each vertebra by pushing down on it and feeling how it moves relative to the other around it. She can tell where it's sore without me telling her just by feeling how stiff the vertabra are.

More reading: http://www.coreconcepts.com.sg/mcr/m...werful-muscle/

6. 03-13-2012 10:35 PM #6
      I was feeling something similar and it pinched like you said but went away, but every time I would squat, it would hurt. It got so bad I took a few weeks off squats, came back, and it hurt again. I started unracking and reracking the bar with both feet and the pain instantly went away.

spoolin is really good at this stuff

Vehicles
      03-13-2012 10:58 PM #7
      Pops that makes a lot of sense and sound like what I'm getting. Does your pt have you do anything to prevent this or maybe to help the pain go away?

8. 03-14-2012 02:04 AM #8
      Try rolling with a foam roller perpendicular to your thoracic spine. You'll probably feel a self manipulation or pop or two as you roll over it. Sounds like a stuck facet joint that's causing the multifidi/ middle traps to spasm around it.

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 03:33 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Hulk... View Post
      Try rolling with a foam roller perpendicular to your thoracic spine. You'll probably feel a self manipulation or pop or two as you roll over it. Sounds like a stuck facet joint that's causing the multifidi/ middle traps to spasm around it.
      I've never used those before, only recently started seeing them being used frequently by other people, will try that tomorrow. I forgot to note that when I twist and try to stretch out the tightness sometimes I do get a satisfying crack/pop from the area.

10. Member
      03-14-2012 05:17 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Pops that makes a lot of sense and sound like what I'm getting. Does your pt have you do anything to prevent this or maybe to help the pain go away?

Yeah, she said to try rolling with a foam roller perpendicular to your thoracic spine. You'll probably feel a self manipulation or pop or two as you roll over it. Sounds like a stuck facet joint that causing....nevermind.

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 06:05 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      Yeah, she said to try rolling with a foam roller perpendicular to your thoracic spine. You'll probably feel a self manipulation or pop or two as you roll over it. Sounds like a stuck facet joint that causing....nevermind.

Haha It was feeling much better today, probably shouldve skipped the gym, but went anyway feeling it again but on the right side now, it always seems to move around. Gonna skip Friday if it's not gone.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      03-14-2012 06:31 PM #12
      sometimes massage therapy can help. A deep tissue massage can be beneficial if they locate and work out knots in the muscles if they can find them.

a muscle knot, in order for them to work it loose, it can hurt... no pain, no gain.
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 07:12 PM #13
      My parents have this massager that looks like E.T.'s head that used to work pretty good. Going there tonight I might steal it.

14. Member
      03-14-2012 07:28 PM #14
      For me, a foam roller works best. As you get used to it, you can feel which vertebrae are stiff as you roll over them.

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 09:19 PM #15
      Is there a method to foam rolling or do I just start rolling around trying to find something that feels good like my dog

16. Member
      03-14-2012 10:20 PM #16
      http://youtu.be/8caF1Keg2XU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU

Edit: Same link. Does the forum support youtube embedding?

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 10:43 PM #17
      Cool. I just used my gf's rolled up yoga mat. I felt and heard three cracks on the first roll. Feels a lot better already I'm amazed.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      03-15-2012 01:33 AM #18
      http://youtu.be/8caF1Keg2XU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8caF1Keg2XU

Edit: Same link. Does the forum support youtube embedding?

seems to. Have to click options under share. Choose long link, then copy that and paste it into the "insert video" text box
      Last edited by Egilbe; 03-15-2012 at 01:36 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      03-15-2012 02:02 AM #19
      sounds like you have a subluxation, which is a mild structural misalignment that can be fixed by a chiropractor. OP can you find and get to a chiropractor?
      function/form

20. Member
      03-15-2012 10:00 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post

seems to. Have to click options under share. Choose long link, then copy that and paste it into the "insert video" text box
      Thanks, I never paid attention to those little icons above the text box before.

21. 04-03-2012 02:16 PM #21
      I get something similar and I'll tell you what my PT told me: you have these tiny little muscles called multifidus that "knit" your vertabrae together. Because of their proximity to the spine, they're actually incredibly powerful. They are also the first muscles in the back to activate when called upon.

Sometimes they spasm and the vertebrae become a bit "sticky". When it happens to me, my PT evaluates each vertebra by pushing down on it and feeling how it moves relative to the other around it. She can tell where it's sore without me telling her just by feeling how stiff the vertabra are.
      This [for me as well, at least.]
      Sega|Saturn

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 05:59 PM #22
      I got my perform better roller in the mail this week. Haven't had a back problem since this post minus my sciatica acting up sometimes after hockey, but I use the roller before every workout now. My hips feel so much better during squats after warming up with some foam rolling.