Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 352

    Thread: Which MK6 1156 LED DRL's should I purchase?

    1. 03-13-2012 05:35 PM #1
      I have searched a bunch on the removal of the stock DRL's and addition of 1156 LED ones. My question is which ones are most reliable. I see a bunch on ebay and amazon for 8-20 bucks and was just wondering if anyone had an EXACT link to some nice blue or white ones.

      I am looking for some that would go best with 8000k HID's

    2. Banned SimpleStaple's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2011
      Location
      Villanova, PA
      Posts
      1,919
      Vehicles
      Jetta VI 2.5L
      03-13-2012 06:07 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by ctheodores View Post
      I have searched a bunch on the removal of the stock DRL's and addition of 1156 LED ones. My question is which ones are most reliable. I see a bunch on ebay and amazon for 8-20 bucks and was just wondering if anyone had an EXACT link to some nice blue or white ones.

      I am looking for some that would go best with 8000k HID's
      I picked mine up on eBay from trusted and highly ranked/reviewed sellers. All depends what you're going for, honestly...

      I went with a pure white output -- looks best IMO.

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2012
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      34
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Cov.
      03-13-2012 07:10 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ctheodores View Post
      I have searched a bunch on the removal of the stock DRL's and addition of 1156 LED ones. My question is which ones are most reliable. I see a bunch on ebay and amazon for 8-20 bucks and was just wondering if anyone had an EXACT link to some nice blue or white ones.

      I am looking for some that would go best with 8000k HID's
      Hey ctheodores,

      I've tried a few different sets of 1156 LED bulbs. My goal was to get as close
      To what "factory" LEDs should look like as well as making sure that they are actually built well and will last.

      Try # 1: 68 SMD 3.5 Watt (310 Lumens) from DX.com. Bright as heck but built like crap. there is no way that these are going to last. Too fragile. Too many internal wires. Color is kind of green. Took 5 weeks to ship from Hong Kong - $10 for pair.

      Try #2: 20 LED Platinum 7W 6000k from V-LEDS.com. WAY better quality than the cheap Chinese ones from DX.com but still pretty fragile. Can tell some thought went into the design of these. Good US website with great support. Super bright - blinding almost! Heatsink built into LED helps eliminate heat buildup. REALLY expensive - $60 for pair. Still too fragile - one bulb burned out within a few days. I think they ran too hot for DRL use.

      Try #3: Again with V-LEDS.com. Different bulb - 7.5 Watt 5 LED 6,000k DRL bulb. Super solid design. No wires, just a big chunk of aluminum with big LEDs integrated into the sides. Looks like it wil last - no bad solder or wires. Not as bright (210 lumens) but the color was too blue for me. $35 for pair.

      Try #4: Got it! Same bulb as above but in 5,000k. Pure white. They look great to me. Pretty sure this is what VW would install (or something close to it) Same style and color as Audi. Ill post pics soon - here's the link: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...93355-1-2.html

      Any questions on install let me know - I'm getting pretty quick at removing these
      V-LEDS.com has a coupon on their Facebook site too.

    4. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 2005
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      81
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn/Nav
      03-13-2012 08:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by NekoSaur View Post
      Hey ctheodores,

      I've tried a few different sets of 1156 LED bulbs. My goal was to get as close
      To what "factory" LEDs should look like as well as making sure that they are actually built well and will last.

      Try # 1: 68 SMD 3.5 Watt (310 Lumens) from DX.com. Bright as heck but built like crap. there is no way that these are going to last. Too fragile. Too many internal wires. Color is kind of green. Took 5 weeks to ship from Hong Kong - $10 for pair.

      Try #2: 20 LED Platinum 7W 6000k from V-LEDS.com. WAY better quality than the cheap Chinese ones from DX.com but still pretty fragile. Can tell some thought went into the design of these. Good US website with great support. Super bright - blinding almost! Heatsink built into LED helps eliminate heat buildup. REALLY expensive - $60 for pair. Still too fragile - one bulb burned out within a few days. I think they ran too hot for DRL use.

      Try #3: Again with V-LEDS.com. Different bulb - 7.5 Watt 5 LED 6,000k DRL bulb. Super solid design. No wires, just a big chunk of aluminum with big LEDs integrated into the sides. Looks like it wil last - no bad solder or wires. Not as bright (210 lumens) but the color was too blue for me. $35 for pair.

      Try #4: Got it! Same bulb as above but in 5,000k. Pure white. They look great to me. Pretty sure this is what VW would install (or something close to it) Same style and color as Audi. Ill post pics soon - here's the link: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...93355-1-2.html

      Any questions on install let me know - I'm getting pretty quick at removing these
      V-LEDS.com has a coupon on their Facebook site too.
      Any pics??

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2012
      Location
      Augusta, GA
      Posts
      130
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI / Black Pearl / DSG /
      03-13-2012 08:17 PM #5
      X2 For pics plz

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2012
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      34
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Cov.
      03-13-2012 08:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by bounty44 View Post
      X2 For pics plz
      My Jetta is at the dealership for its 10k checkup. There are also a million creaks and rattles that they are trying to track down and fix. As soon as I get it back I'll take some pictures.

    7. 03-15-2012 12:48 AM #7
      thanks ! so is this DRL behind the stock halogen low beam? I know I have to take off the rubber boot but do I have to twist and turn the one to get to the DRL?

    8. Member aerohead06's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2012
      Location
      Chitown
      Posts
      232
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-15-2012 04:07 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ctheodores View Post
      thanks ! so is this DRL behind the stock halogen low beam? I know I have to take off the rubber boot but do I have to twist and turn the one to get to the DRL?
      Its really hard to get to but its right under the lowbeam, the DRL bulb it self needs to be twisted off.

    9. Member clutchrider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2010
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      4,601
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-15-2012 04:42 PM #9
      These are what I put in my GLI. Have not had one issue since installing

      Here is the link to the buy, but look through the sellers stuff for similar application
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/150727574132...#ht_2609wt_877


    10. 03-16-2012 12:57 PM #10
      thanks I got some super blue ones put in

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2011
      Location
      Inver Grove Heights MN
      Posts
      489
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      03-17-2012 12:37 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ctheodores View Post
      thanks I got some super blue ones put in

    12. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      04-11-2012 08:35 PM #12
      Were the V-LED set plug and play, or did you have to wire in some resistors, or any other devices? Any heating issues or issues with other bulbs after you installed these? Thanks for your help.

    13. 04-11-2012 09:23 PM #13
      Mine are bright white 96's I think? or 108's. I love em, and get compliments all the time


      2012 CW GLi A/B - 1972 Typ1 Std Beetle Sedan

    14. Member panzer 2.3's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 23rd, 2008
      Location
      pa
      Posts
      3,617
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      04-11-2012 09:54 PM #14
      I tried a few & these are my favorite:

      http://www.hidxenonlights.com/led-ca...ed-amber-p-691
      Instagram @mad_german

    15. Member KOWCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2012
      Location
      SE MICH
      Posts
      2,923
      Vehicles
      2012 CW CC LUX LTD DSG
      04-11-2012 11:07 PM #15
      Were these plug and play. Any resistors, additional wiring, Etc??? Any heat issues?
      Looks amazing

    16. Member Fignewton's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2007
      Location
      Berkley, MI
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      04-11-2012 11:27 PM #16
      I had the 18 SMD LED's that are most popular

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/170757945557...#ht_3017wt_946

      No codes. There were ok, but not as bright as stock. The looked cool, but not really bright enough for DRL's more like Dusk/DawnRL's.

      I just splurged and put these in tonight. They are the 12 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower.

      http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

      They are brighter than stock and if I had to put a number on it, 3 or 4 times as bright as the 18 SMD LED's that I had.

      Will have to watch for heat issues. No codes yet.



      One thing I found is that it's damn hard to convey what these actually look like in a photograph.

      The Eagle eyes are bluer than other LED, but not ricey. IMO.

      Another description would be that if I get down on level with the lights, while the glow is consistent throughout the reflector, that forward facing led will spot my eyes.





      I'm going to try to get a pic in full daylight to really show how bright they are.
      Last edited by Fignewton; 04-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.

    17. Member panzer 2.3's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 23rd, 2008
      Location
      pa
      Posts
      3,617
      Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      04-12-2012 06:28 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by KOWCC View Post
      Were these plug and play. Any resistors, additional wiring, Etc??? Any heat issues?
      Looks amazing
      Yes plug n play with no error codes & no heat issues. These will get me by until I get the new oem bi-xenons
      Instagram @mad_german

    18. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2012
      Location
      Miami fl
      Posts
      45
      Vehicles
      Vw jetta se
      04-13-2012 09:40 AM #18
      Anyone know any good amber DRL i can buy

    19. Member clutchrider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2010
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      4,601
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-13-2012 11:21 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by JNmk6 View Post
      Anyone know any good amber DRL i can buy


      I just switched back to stock a week ago. noticed the LEDs had a few burnout diodes and some flickering. I just pulled them and will wait for the Hybrid style xenons with LEDs.


    20. Member Fignewton's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2007
      Location
      Berkley, MI
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      05-07-2012 06:05 PM #20
      Somebody had asked for daytime pics of the 12 watt eagle eyes. Took these this morning.




    21. Member Mo_Focus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2005
      Posts
      796
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Highline TDI DSG, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI
      05-07-2012 06:17 PM #21
      Here is what i ordered. lets see what happens.
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2Pcs-LED-1156...55116389028701

      my plan is to mix the signal+DRL's. will update in a month when i get the lights since they are from overseas.

      10 VW Golf Highline DSG TDI- wife's , 11 VW Jetta Highline 6spd TDI mine!

    22. 05-09-2012 12:45 PM #22
      Anyone try retro solutions 5w Cree led with top led. ?

    23. Member MHardiman90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2012
      Location
      Naperville, IL
      Posts
      440
      Vehicles
      '12 CC Lux Plus
      05-10-2012 12:56 PM #23
      Just placed my order for these! Rush delivery for an extra buck? Hell yeah.

      Quote Originally Posted by Fignewton View Post
      I had the 18 SMD LED's that are most popular

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/170757945557...#ht_3017wt_946

      No codes. There were ok, but not as bright as stock. The looked cool, but not really bright enough for DRL's more like Dusk/DawnRL's.

      I just splurged and put these in tonight. They are the 12 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower.

      http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

      They are brighter than stock and if I had to put a number on it, 3 or 4 times as bright as the 18 SMD LED's that I had.

      Will have to watch for heat issues. No codes yet.

      One thing I found is that it's damn hard to convey what these actually look like in a photograph.

      The Eagle eyes are bluer than other LED, but not ricey. IMO.

      Another description would be that if I get down on level with the lights, while the glow is consistent throughout the reflector, that forward facing led will spot my eyes.

      I'm going to try to get a pic in full daylight to really show how bright they are.
      Current: 2012 Night Blue Metallic CC Lux Plus
      Current: 2013 Ironman Silver Hyundai Veloster Turbo
      Previous: 2012 Frost Silver GLI APR Carbonio Stage I+II; 2012 White Silver Mini Cooper S; 2009 Eclipse Gray Mini Cooper S; 1993 Garnet Chevrolet S10

    24. Member Fignewton's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2007
      Location
      Berkley, MI
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      05-10-2012 01:53 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by MHardiman90 View Post
      Just placed my order for these! Rush delivery for an extra buck? Hell yeah.
      Let me know what you think, I'm anxious to hear another person's opinion. I love mine and they're still going strong.

    25. Member MHardiman90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2012
      Location
      Naperville, IL
      Posts
      440
      Vehicles
      '12 CC Lux Plus
      05-10-2012 03:01 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignewton View Post
      Let me know what you think, I'm anxious to hear another person's opinion. I love mine and they're still going strong.
      Will do! Also replaced the aftermarket bulbs I once replaced the stock ones with. I had all Nokya 5000K 70W bulbs, and just replaced them all with Hoen Titaniums. Hopefully everything will all look good together. Still debating on Ziza city lights...
      Current: 2012 Night Blue Metallic CC Lux Plus
      Current: 2013 Ironman Silver Hyundai Veloster Turbo
      Previous: 2012 Frost Silver GLI APR Carbonio Stage I+II; 2012 White Silver Mini Cooper S; 2009 Eclipse Gray Mini Cooper S; 1993 Garnet Chevrolet S10

    26. Member Fignewton's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2007
      Location
      Berkley, MI
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      05-10-2012 03:06 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by MHardiman90 View Post
      Will do! Also replaced the aftermarket bulbs I once replaced the stock ones with. I had all Nokya 5000K 70W bulbs, and just replaced them all with Hoen Titaniums. Hopefully everything will all look good together. Still debating on Ziza city lights...
      Hoen makes matching city light bulbs, non led though.

    27. Member MHardiman90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2012
      Location
      Naperville, IL
      Posts
      440
      Vehicles
      '12 CC Lux Plus
      05-10-2012 03:09 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignewton View Post
      Hoen makes matching city light bulbs, non led though.
      I saw that but I wonted something of a different shade to contrast the headlamp a little bit. I think I want the city lights to have a TAD tint of blue so everything doesn't look all the same.
      Current: 2012 Night Blue Metallic CC Lux Plus
      Current: 2013 Ironman Silver Hyundai Veloster Turbo
      Previous: 2012 Frost Silver GLI APR Carbonio Stage I+II; 2012 White Silver Mini Cooper S; 2009 Eclipse Gray Mini Cooper S; 1993 Garnet Chevrolet S10

    28. Member MHardiman90's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2012
      Location
      Naperville, IL
      Posts
      440
      Vehicles
      '12 CC Lux Plus
      05-14-2012 04:11 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignewton View Post
      Hoen makes matching city light bulbs, non led though.
      Totally just received my one bulb... Didn't know they were sold individually?!?! Just ordered another one rush delivery. No biggie, besides feeling like a total dumbass...
      Current: 2012 Night Blue Metallic CC Lux Plus
      Current: 2013 Ironman Silver Hyundai Veloster Turbo
      Previous: 2012 Frost Silver GLI APR Carbonio Stage I+II; 2012 White Silver Mini Cooper S; 2009 Eclipse Gray Mini Cooper S; 1993 Garnet Chevrolet S10

    29. n00b
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2012
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      1
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-17-2012 05:50 PM #29
      How are the lights working out? No codes on the GLI?

    30. Member Fignewton's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 2007
      Location
      Berkley, MI
      Posts
      219
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      05-17-2012 05:59 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by nsgli View Post
      How are the lights working out? No codes on the GLI?
      Working fine, thought I see they now have 14 Watt versions, but I think these are bright enough.

      No codes.

      One sidenote on codes. My 2010 Wolfsburg 2.0T, though a MKV, had MKVI electronics and if the GLI is the same (and I believe it is) you won't get codes as long as your only running one pair of LED's on the system. I ran LED corner lights in the MKV with no codes and remember reading folks only having code problems with more than a pair in the system chain. I could be wrong, but I think that's more important than the wattage pulled by the led's.

      I would be willing to guess that if your only running LED DRL's and no other LED's on your car, you will not get codes, no matter what wattage. I have no idea why that would be, I think it just is. Hopefully others with that combo will chime in.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2011
      Location
      Chesapeake, VA
      Posts
      564
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI Platinum Gray
      05-17-2012 06:09 PM #31
      Just had these delivered today:

      http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm (scroll WAY down)


      44 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
      These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS + Advanced Patented Circuitry
      32 high powered SMT side facing LEDS -12 high powered SMT forward facing LEDS
      Only 18mm diameter x 42mm overall - fits all stock housings
      High Powered 3 Chip SMT Leds - Outfitted with Canbus Bulb-Out Warning Cancellation Chip
      Designed to eliminate most electronic bulb-out warnings in BMW, Mercedes, AUDI, VW, Volvo, and most others.

      Working great, no errors and no flickering. Not nearly as 'blue' as they look in the pictures.

      '12 Jetta GLI Platinum Gray

    32. Junior Member DasJunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Providence, RI
      Posts
      81
      Vehicles
      MkVI Jetta SE
      05-17-2012 09:14 PM #32
      Just placed my order for the 14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower

      3x 3 Watt + 1x5 Watt-3 Chip High Powered Rectangular Chip SMT LEDS

      I figure brighter can hurt right? hah

      Anyone get the 14 watt yet? Any issues with either the 12 or 14?

    33. n00b
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2012
      Posts
      5
      Vehicles
      2012 jetta 2.5
      05-29-2012 06:32 PM #33
      Just bought these 5000k LED bulbs to replace my DRL's (http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-LED-7...-p9768204.html). The size of the bulbs are 1156. Only costed me about $50 with shipping and taxes. They look really good, gave me the exact crisp white color I wanted. Pretty easy to install, just have to get your hand in the tight spot to twist the harness to pull it out of the housing to change the bulb. One of those little things that makes the car look better. Only thing is that when you look at it upclose like in the last picture you can see a bit of the yellow from the bulb reflecting off the mirrors in the headlight housing, but when you look at the headlight normally like in the rest of the pictures you can't even tell.

      On the right side is the new LED bulb and on the left is the old DRL bulb


      New LED 5000k


      Old bulb


      Both LED


      Up close of LED bulb

    34. Junior Member DasJunk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 5th, 2012
      Location
      Providence, RI
      Posts
      81
      Vehicles
      MkVI Jetta SE
      06-01-2012 06:35 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by DasJunk View Post
      Just placed my order for the 14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower

      3x 3 Watt + 1x5 Watt-3 Chip High Powered Rectangular Chip SMT LEDS

      I figure brighter can hurt right? hah

      Anyone get the 14 watt yet? Any issues with either the 12 or 14?

      Compared to cheap eBay pair.



      Final product

    35. 06-02-2012 10:47 AM #35
      Hi Folks, I'm from Singapore..l just made an order from v led after seeing some bros demo... Glad that I found this forum.. I got my led bulbs for 2 weeks and apparently some of it had fused. Currently revert back to stock bulb. Awaiting for my bulb arrival... Cheers...


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •