Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which MK6 1156 LED DRL's should I purchase?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 volkswagen jetta tdi
      08-16-2012 12:25 PM #71
      came in today

2. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 01:09 PM #72
      step one unscrew cap
      step two turn counter clockwise to remove DRL
      step three remove old bulb and install new LED ( small hands or long fingers work best to inscrew and take the socket out)
      and your done

3. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 01:12 PM #73

And with them off for comparison

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 01:32 PM #74
      This was during the day 12:00 with clear sky and sun beaming directly into the housing.

5. 08-16-2012 01:40 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by letsmotor View Post
      This was during the day 12:00 with clear sky and sun beaming directly into the housing.
      Nice...!!!

Were they what you expected?

They look clean... but it seems a little greenish, or maybe that's just the way it in the sunlight.

Can you let me know if they flicker or code on you? Maybe some pics during later in the day to see the true color of how it lights up during the dawn? lol...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 02:29 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by BorLEH View Post
      Nice...!!!

Were they what you expected?

They look clean... but it seems a little greenish, or maybe that's just the way it in the sunlight.

Can you let me know if they flicker or code on you? Maybe some pics during later in the day to see the true color of how it lights up during the dawn? lol...
      About what I expected, camera is hard to capture the exact color of these bulbs as you could see with my crappy napa bulbs. These are 6000K color. The sunlight beaming straight in on the housing had some weird effects too with the picture, I will take some later on in the day when they are not in direct sunlight. Over all I'm pretty happy with how they look. I'll keep a eye on them to make sure they don't fade or flicker. No codes so far either.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      08-16-2012 03:48 PM #77
      I like the look of those, and 6000k is right on the monet for hyper white lights.

In for night time pics as well.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 04:00 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
      I like the look of those, and 6000k is right on the monet for hyper white lights.

In for night time pics as well.
      Right for the money too, 37.00 for the pair shipped. Www.xtralights.com coupon code HL10
      Last edited by letsmotor; 08-16-2012 at 04:04 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2012 08:00 PM #79
      for some reason there is a green tint in this picture in the corner, I assure you there is no green only white light.

Here are some more at dusk
      from this morning
      Last edited by letsmotor; 08-17-2012 at 11:16 AM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      08-17-2012 01:09 PM #80
      Found these 7507 led turn signal Bulbs (error free) 3000K yellow. Will see if they work next week

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2012 04:58 PM #81
      Found these 7507 led turn signal Bulbs (error free) 3000K yellow. Will see if they work next week
      Do not work and are way too yellow, I was able to return them. The store said they should have amber error free for vw in about a month. I will report back once I get those

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      08-25-2012 05:47 PM #82
      Do you notice your DRL's give off any yellow reflection from the color of the light housing? Throw any errors? Night shotz pleaze
      John Handcock

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2012 07:44 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by King Schwab View Post
      Do you notice your DRL's give off any yellow reflection from the color of the light housing? Throw any errors? Night shotz pleaze
      Didnt really notice much of a reflection if any at all. Here is my night shot have to take one looking at the headlight yet.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      08-25-2012 07:49 PM #84
      Can you take one from the front? Puhleeze
      John Handcock

15. Member
      08-27-2012 05:15 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by aerohead06 View Post
      Its really hard to get to but its right under the lowbeam, the DRL bulb it self needs to be twisted off.
      See now... I was told by a dealer to push and twist!

16. 08-30-2012 08:10 PM #86

17. Member
      Vehicles
      09-04-2012 11:02 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by King Schwab View Post
      Can you take one from the front? Puhleeze
      Long over due, sorry for the crappy quality upgraded to tappatalk unlimited photos just to post this !

Vehicles
      mk3 golf(sold),mk3 vr6 Gti(sold),mk3 vr6 Jetta(sold)mk6 GLI
      09-04-2012 11:51 PM #88
      anyone try these ? http://www.xtralights.com/hi-intensi...whitepair.aspx

also there is labor day sale going on and you can use promo code HL10 like "letsmotor" said

interested in these
      http://www.xtralights.com/hi-intensi...whitepair.aspx (these say there are CANBUS)

and these
      http://www.xtralights.com/super-inte...whitepair.aspx

not sure which one to go with any opinions ?

probably end up going with one of each. one for DRLs and one for Reverse lights. lmk what you guys think
      BROWARD COUNTY

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      09-04-2012 11:59 PM #89
      I just bought the bottom ones. The others look cheap. All probably the same quality but the housing looks more stable on the bottom pair.
      John Handcock

Vehicles
      09-05-2012 12:25 AM #90
      yea your right about that as far as probably being more durable. so its probably been said before but ill ask anyways . so you dont need canbus bulbs for DRL's ? no error codes on mfd with these? how bout the reverse lights ?
      BROWARD COUNTY

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      09-05-2012 12:43 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by euro2nur View Post
      yea your right about that as far as probably being more durable. so its probably been said before but ill ask anyways . so you dont need canbus bulbs for DRL's ? no error codes on mfd with these? how bout the reverse lights ?
      No errors with the DRL's. I have no knowledge of the reverse bulbs.
      John Handcock

22. 09-05-2012 10:47 AM #92
      came in today

You can get the Cheaper ones for the reverse tail lights on Ebay.

They dont need that much power to run on, coz you're only gonna use it for like a few seconds as you back up your car anyways. The DRLs obviously run longer as you're driving without your low-beams on. So you would need a durable long lasting LED bulb for them.

You only need the high powered ones like the ones shown by letsmotor.
      He's the one that helped me where to go find those DRL Leds.

Vehicles
      09-06-2012 12:31 AM #93
      yes but my question is will the canbus 1156 some how help with the power leak on the reverse lights? it was noted http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...LED-Bulb-Guide that the reverse lights have a power leak.
      BROWARD COUNTY

24. 09-06-2012 07:51 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by euro2nur View Post
      yes but my question is will the canbus 1156 some how help with the power leak on the reverse lights? it was noted http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...LED-Bulb-Guide that the reverse lights have a power leak.
      I haven't had any issues so far.

No leaks or anything of that nature.

Just give it a shot first. You'll never know once you try it out for yourself.

25. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 Jetta
      09-06-2012 11:06 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Fignewton View Post
      I had the 18 SMD LED's that are most popular

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170757945557...#ht_3017wt_946

No codes. There were ok, but not as bright as stock. The looked cool, but not really bright enough for DRL's more like Dusk/DawnRL's.

I just splurged and put these in tonight. They are the 12 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

They are brighter than stock and if I had to put a number on it, 3 or 4 times as bright as the 18 SMD LED's that I had.

Will have to watch for heat issues. No codes yet.

One thing I found is that it's damn hard to convey what these actually look like in a photograph.

The Eagle eyes are bluer than other LED, but not ricey. IMO.

Another description would be that if I get down on level with the lights, while the glow is consistent throughout the reflector, that forward facing led will spot my eyes.

I'm going to try to get a pic in full daylight to really show how bright they are.
      Did you have any heat issues with the eagle eyes?

Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      09-06-2012 11:54 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by itsmibilly View Post
      Did you have any heat issues with the eagle eyes?
      Not as of yet. (i'll take a closer look at the housing today to double check) Been running fine since I put them in. I have the 12W, I ordered a set of 14W to see the difference, they're on the way. My plan is to use the 14W as DRL's and move the 12W to reverse lights.

I'd like to think that the larger cavity of the drl light helps the heat issue. I know vleds had said this type of bulb would be too hot in a constant on scenario, but that may only apply to the smaller housings, i.e. rear lights or reverse, etc.

I have the 18 SMD Led's in the reverse lights (no power bleed), but I do get an occasional right reverse bulb out warning, but it never stays on. The 18 SMD led's are way too dim for reverse lights IMO though.

27. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 Jetta
      09-06-2012 02:58 PM #97
      Not as of yet. (i'll take a closer look at the housing today to double check) Been running fine since I put them in. I have the 12W, I ordered a set of 14W to see the difference, they're on the way. My plan is to use the 14W as DRL's and move the 12W to reverse lights.

I'd like to think that the larger cavity of the drl light helps the heat issue. I know vleds had said this type of bulb would be too hot in a constant on scenario, but that may only apply to the smaller housings, i.e. rear lights or reverse, etc.

I have the 18 SMD Led's in the reverse lights (no power bleed), but I do get an occasional right reverse bulb out warning, but it never stays on. The 18 SMD led's are way too dim for reverse lights IMO though.

Cool thanks!

last thing i need is for my housing to get screwed up. Almost had a heart attack retrofitting my lights

28. Member
      Vehicles
      09-06-2012 08:15 PM #98
      I've been running my 540 lumen led drl's for a month now, just did a road trip where they were on constantly for 10 hrs, never shut the car off. Has absolutely no heat issues whatsoever. Save your money on eagle eyes, go to xtralights.com they have the same style as the eagle towers and are super bright (540 lumens) search for a coupon code you can get them shipped for under 38.00 for the pair. http://www.xtralights.com/super-intensity360ledbulbs1w-top3x15w-side-1156typewhitepair.aspx Code HL10
      Might still work.

Vehicles
      2013 CC Sport
      09-06-2012 09:27 PM #99
      I've been running my 540 lumen led drl's for a month now, just did a road trip where they were on constantly for 10 hrs, never shut the car off. Has absolutely no heat issues whatsoever. Save your money on eagle eyes, go to xtralights.com they have the same style as the eagle towers and are super bright (540 lumens) search for a coupon code you can get them shipped for under 38.00 for the pair. http://www.xtralights.com/super-inte...whitepair.aspx Code HL10
      Might still work.

I looked at those, the only difference being that the eagle eyes are 12W versus your 6W, I think that's twice the wattage and more than double with the new 14W.

But, I'm glad you haven't had any issues and like em. Good to know that the design is holding up across different vendors, hell they may all come from the same factory in Hong Kong.

As far as saving money, the cost of any of these LED's are silly compared to the incandescent that costs less than 99 cents we're replacing it with.

30. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 Jetta
      09-07-2012 10:07 AM #100
      I've been running my 540 lumen led drl's for a month now, just did a road trip where they were on constantly for 10 hrs, never shut the car off. Has absolutely no heat issues whatsoever. Save your money on eagle eyes, go to xtralights.com they have the same style as the eagle towers and are super bright (540 lumens) search for a coupon code you can get them shipped for under 38.00 for the pair. http://www.xtralights.com/super-inte...whitepair.aspx Code HL10
      Might still work.
      Hey can you post some pictures? i want to see the color of the white. thank you!

31. 09-07-2012 10:42 AM #101
      Hey can you post some pictures? i want to see the color of the white. thank you!
      Dude... Look up

he posted them awhile ago, they're a few posts up by letsmotor

32. Member
      Vehicles
      09-07-2012 10:55 AM #102
      I looked at those, the only difference being that the eagle eyes are 12W versus your 6W, I think that's twice the wattage and more than double with the new 14W.

But, I'm glad you haven't had any issues and like em. Good to know that the design is holding up across different vendors, hell they may all come from the same factory in Hong Kong.

As far as saving money, the cost of any of these LED's are silly compared to the incandescent that costs less than 99 cents we're replacing it with.
      The fact that would make these 14W run hot is they are 14w.... They will draw too much power and the socket and wire are not meant for it, they stand a very high chance of melting both especially used in a DRL purpose. It is up to you and hope they work out but be careful I can deff see these melting something. I emailed this company and he did not recommend these 14w for DRL purposes.

33. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      MK6 Jetta
      09-07-2012 11:02 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by BorLEH View Post
      Dude... Look up

he posted them awhile ago, they're a few posts up by letsmotor

woops...see them! got scared by the greenish tint but he said there's none! sweet deal! Just ordered the lights!

34. 09-07-2012 12:33 PM #104
      The fact that would make these 14W run hot is they are 14w.... They will draw too much power and the socket and wire are not meant for it, they stand a very high chance of melting both especially used in a DRL purpose. It is up to you and hope they work out but be careful I can deff see these melting something. I emailed this company and he did not recommend these 14w for DRL purposes.

35. 09-07-2012 12:33 PM #105
      woops...see them! got scared by the greenish tint but he said there's none! sweet deal! Just ordered the lights!
      lol

Sweet! Enjoy your lights!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast