Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MKVI TDi Golf- switching wheel/tire sizes

1. 03-13-2012 09:01 PM #1
      I just leased a 2012 TDi Golf 6speed manual, it's the first new VW diesel that I've owned although I had a nice MKIV TDi Jetta for a few years. I was always amazed at the mileage I got from that car, 40's around town and mid 50's on the interstate. I knew that the newer CR diesels don't deliver as much fuel economy but I've been a bit disappointed with the first 2 tanks, an overall average of 38 MPG.

I'm not a big fan of those 17" wheels that come with the TDi and I can't help but wonder if the 225 wide tires are costing me a few MPG's. Has anyone tried to switch to a 16" or even a 15" wheel/tire combo to see if the MPG improve at all? I'm considering picking up a set of 15" steelie/tires to use as winter wheels next year but I'd run them if there was an improvement in economy.

Thanks for any replies!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      03-13-2012 10:10 PM #2
      Installing steelies and tires that are smaller or not will hut mpg more than help. The average steel wheel weighs nearly twice the weight of the average cast aluminum wheel.

If you are getting 38mpg your not doing bad. I average 36-40 on my CR depending on how much highway use.

If you really want to improve mpg get a set of lightweight 16's and low rolling resistance tires and you will see an improvement. LRR tires will help some people see 3-5mpg improvement. Losing unsprung weight will help also. The cost over savings will not benefit you though. It would take a long time to recoup you cost of the tires and wheels.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 golf tdi, 6 speed manual
      03-14-2012 03:01 PM #3
      I'm on my 3rd tank and am pleased w/36+ avg as I do a fair amount of short around-town driving. Haven't had any long trips but as the weather gets warm and I get some express-way miles I'm anticipating better mileage. I love to watch the consumption monitor go in the 70's when I'm going down hill a bit.

Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta TDI 5spd, MODDED
      03-16-2012 04:56 PM #4
      That car wont even be BROKEN IN by time you have to return it, so YOU will never see the full potential of mileage. But a good tune and dpf delete will help those mpg woes significantly. I know of new CR cars with those mods getting damn-near alh mileage.