Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 24 of 24

    Thread: Misfire on 1.8t cylinder #3

    1. 03-14-2012 07:55 AM #1
      I have a misfire on cylinder 3. I changed plugs, got the same thing. Switch coils around same thing. Only cylinder 3 would misfire. And the misfire got worse. Once the car warms up the misfire stops it's only on start up I'll get a bad misfire. I'm thinking it's the injector. What you guys think?

    2. 03-14-2012 09:31 AM #2
      Bump anyone?

    3. Senior Member 87vr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2002
      Location
      West coast, of Okinawa (^^)
      Posts
      24,982
      Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      03-14-2012 09:39 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6con92 View Post
      Once the car warms up the misfire stops it's only on start up I'll get a bad misfire. I'm thinking it's the injector. What you guys think?
      Good start. You can swap injectors too, it wouldn't take much more than 30 minutes... I'm also thinking maybe crack wiring harness for the coil... Try the injector first.

    4. 03-14-2012 09:45 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Good start. You can swap injectors too, it wouldn't take much more than 30 minutes... I'm also thinking maybe crack wiring harness for the coil... Try the injector first.
      Harness is fine. I didn't swap injectors. I just got a set from a friend. With 30k on them. Mine has 60k. It went from a slight misfire to a really bad misfire now.

    5. 03-16-2012 07:06 PM #5
      changed plugs,coils pack and i changed the injectors, i keep getting misfire on # 3. anyone know why or had this problem please help.....

    6. Banned rodgertherabit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2009
      Location
      Southern Michigan / Raleigh, North Carolina
      Posts
      5,715
      Vehicles
      Jazz Blue #0802
      03-16-2012 09:05 PM #6
      This actually happened to me today!

      if you got the code P0300 along with P0303 then you probably have a Vacuum leak. It will cause misfiring, running rich, and a bumpy idle.

    7. 03-17-2012 04:57 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by rodgertherabit View Post
      This actually happened to me today!

      if you got the code P0300 along with P0303 then you probably have a Vacuum leak. It will cause misfiring, running rich, and a bumpy idle.
      It misfires bad on start up. Then it will go away. If I hook up the bag there is a very slight misfire. U wouldn't notice but I had the vag to it.

    8. 03-21-2012 01:12 PM #8
      Did compression test and everything is fine. Could it be the coil pack harness maybe have a sharp age in it?

    9. 03-21-2012 01:51 PM #9
      Are you getting any codes?

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Posts
      1,953
      Vehicles
      2010 CC 2.0T 6spd, 2012 CC Lux+ DSG, 2001 Corvette 6spd Z51
      03-21-2012 02:08 PM #10
      I had a similar problem with my 2005 1.8T AWM. New plugs, coils, and ECT did not fix the problem. No vacuum leaks found.....it was a blown head gasket, which slowely leaked coolant into cyl #2, as the car sat overnight, causing a misfire which went away after about 10 sec, then the car ran fine, just slowly loosing coolant as it was driven.

    11. 03-21-2012 03:55 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by CC'ed View Post
      I had a similar problem with my 2005 1.8T AWM. New plugs, coils, and ECT did not fix the problem. No vacuum leaks found.....it was a blown head gasket, which slowely leaked coolant into cyl #2, as the car sat overnight, causing a misfire which went away after about 10 sec, then the car ran fine, just slowly loosing coolant as it was driven.
      I also loose coolant slowly. But sometimes the car starts fine sometimes it doesnt. Sametime is runs fine all day long. Then out of no where it would act up. I'm only getting p0303 code. But if you pull out the plug it would be drenched with gas.

    12. Senior Member 87vr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2002
      Location
      West coast, of Okinawa (^^)
      Posts
      24,982
      Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      03-21-2012 07:12 PM #12
      If you pull a plug that's covered in gas, that means that cylinder isn't firing or the injector is pushing way too much. I still stand by a coil pack harness problem seeing as you changed all the other variables including the injectors, and the problem still exists.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 4th, 2007
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      1,226
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      03-27-2012 01:22 PM #13
      get your engine oil tested. from there, you will know if coolant is mixing with the oil. then you know it's a head gasket.

      Quote Originally Posted by VR6con92 View Post
      I also loose coolant slowly. But sometimes the car starts fine sometimes it doesnt. Sametime is runs fine all day long. Then out of no where it would act up. I'm only getting p0303 code. But if you pull out the plug it would be drenched with gas.

    14. Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2011
      Location
      Southwestern Ontario
      Posts
      91
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Jetta 1.8t
      03-27-2012 04:34 PM #14
      I second the notion for a cracked wiring harness. I'm dealing with the exact same problem myself. If you go this route, be sure to buy the Schwaben terminal kit.
      02' AWP :: UniStage2+ @25psi--Frankenturbo F4H :: Bosch 440cc :: NGK BKR7E@.028 Gap :: B&B 3" TurboBack :: Boostvalve MBC+N75F Parallel :: Forge007p DV :: VMaxx Coilovers

    15. 03-28-2012 11:20 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jon-vw View Post
      I second the notion for a cracked wiring harness. I'm dealing with the exact same problem myself. If you go this route, be sure to buy the Schwaben terminal kit.
      so was it your wiring harness also ?

    16. Member Slimjimmn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2006
      Location
      Rochester, MN
      Posts
      9,945
      Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      03-28-2012 11:23 PM #16
      pull the plug and see if the top of the piston is silver clean. If it is, then the HG is shot.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Posts
      1,953
      Vehicles
      2010 CC 2.0T 6spd, 2012 CC Lux+ DSG, 2001 Corvette 6spd Z51
      04-10-2012 09:03 AM #17
      A blown head gasket does not always leak coolant into the oil, or oil into the coolant. My head gasket was just leaking coolant into cylinder #2. My oil and coolant was not being cross contaminated.

    18. 04-10-2012 09:08 AM #18
      Finally figured out the problem. It's a bad head gasket. Leaking coolant into cylinder #3

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 4th, 2007
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      1,226
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-10-2012 09:28 AM #19
      how did you figure it out? what tests did you make?

      Quote Originally Posted by VR6con92 View Post
      Finally figured out the problem. It's a bad head gasket. Leaking coolant into cylinder #3

    20. 04-10-2012 09:45 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by radlynx View Post
      how did you figure it out? what tests did you make?
      Did the wireharness, start car up no misfire shown on vag. As soon as I add coolant misfire on #3 and oil was milky when I checked oil cap.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 4th, 2007
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      1,226
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-10-2012 11:05 AM #21
      Great! thank you. well at least you now know what to do next.

      Quote Originally Posted by VR6con92 View Post
      Did the wireharness, start car up no misfire shown on vag. As soon as I add coolant misfire on #3 and oil was milky when I checked oil cap.

    22. 04-10-2012 10:20 PM #22
      The head got put marks by the water jackets. Metal is missing

    23. Member Slimjimmn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2006
      Location
      Rochester, MN
      Posts
      9,945
      Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-10-2012 11:05 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimmn View Post
      pull the plug and see if the top of the piston is silver clean. If it is, then the HG is shot.
      good deal
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

    24. Member vwbmx's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 25th, 2002
      Location
      Bucks County, PA
      Posts
      4,601
      Vehicles
      06 GTI DSG, 91 gti vrt
      06-12-2013 11:34 AM #24
      I know I am late on this but I have been having multiple cylinder misfires and leaking coolant and I have checked my coil packs and throttlebody. I changed the coilpack overlay harness and still issues so I am going to do a compression test and see where I am at. thanks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •