Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Burn In on Panasonic V10 Plasma...help!

Vehicles
      '14 Audi S4 / '13 Infiniti G37
      03-14-2012 09:27 AM #1
      I have a TC-P54V10 plasma that I have owned for about 18 months. I like to watch "Morning Joe" on MSNBC every day and, as typical of a cable news station, they have a relatively static white bar across the screen that is displayed during most of the show, see picture below...

Recently I noticed that this white bar seems to have burned in (it is not image retention, I know the difference). I thought the newer generation of Panasonic plasmas had anti-burn in mechanisms, but that doesn't seem to be enough to prevent this problem.

I know the damage has been done, but short of expanding the formatting of the TV display to cut off the top and bottom of the picture, is there anything that can be done to prevent this from getting worse? I have the pixel orbiter set to automatic.

Thanks!

2. 03-14-2012 11:39 AM #2
      That's very strange. I recently just moved a VT25 out of my showroom that was used for showing primarily ESPN with their ticker bar for 8 hours a day, and there was no burn-in whatsoever.

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 01:37 PM #3
      what is interesting is that the ticker along the bottom has not burned in, only the white bar at the top.

4. 03-15-2012 08:15 AM #4
      they usually have a scrolling white bar you can access in the menu. try leaving that on for a while. repeat it as many times as necessary. try changing the pixel shifting from automatic to periodic. maybe something more often like every minute. also, what picture settings are you using?
      Last edited by twelvevolt; 03-15-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Vehicles
      03-15-2012 08:20 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by twelvevolt View Post
      they usually have a scrolling white bar you can access in the menu. try leaving that on for a while. repeat it as many times as necessary. some of them also have an option to change how often the pixels are shifted(to prevent burn in). take a look at that too. also, what picture settings are you using?
      I did just change the pixel shift option from automatic to every minute. I think the white bar will only help with IR and not burn in.

As for my settings, it is a custom setting that makes skin tones look natural, something very different than the default or "torch" mode.

I spoke to Panasonic and they were, not surprisingly, of no help. At this point I am just changing the screen formatting whenever I watch so that the screen is zoomed in enough to cut off the bar on top. It kind of defeats the purpose of having an HD screen, but it beats the alternative.

Makes me rethink getting not an LCD TV the next time around.

6. 03-15-2012 08:25 AM #6
      to be honest, i've never had a problem with burn in on any of my personal tvs or display units, which were always on channels like espn and other news sources full of tickers. you have to look out for your tvs. sure, it may be a pain to periodically run things like the scrolling bar, or to change the channel every now and then, but you're typically happier in the long run.

7. 03-15-2012 11:07 AM #7
      I'd run the scrolling white bar, or let the set play non-static full screen HD video for 24 hours straight.. Discovery channel or HD theater is good for this.. lots of full screen content. See if that helps remove the remnants of the white bar.

Vehicles
      03-15-2012 11:14 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      I'd run the scrolling white bar, or let the set play non-static full screen HD video for 24 hours straight.. Discovery channel or HD theater is good for this.. lots of full screen content. See if that helps remove the remnants of the white bar.
      Yep, that is going to be the plan. Going to run the scrolling bar at least once a day as a practice now.

As an aside, it is so funny to hear how hesitant the Panny tech support people are to admit that burn in is still very possible. You can tell they have been heavily coached on the matter.

The good news is that the burn in is not really noticeable unless I am really looking for it or if the screen is showing a predominantly white scene.

Live and learn...

Vehicles
      2009 370Z sport/touring
      03-16-2012 05:12 PM #9
      I have a 54" panny V10 and once my wife fell asleep watching FlashDance, and the DVD returned to the main menu, and sat for a good 10 hours straight before she finally switched to TV. I'd notice the scripty "flashdance" logo on the screen for about a week until it finally went away.

Makes me hesitant to play too much MW3.