Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B&G suspension Question

Vehicles
      05' Jetuh 1.8 litra turbo chard
      03-14-2012 03:48 PM #1
      So I have a MKIV with B&G RS2's on it. Went to lower it yesterday; I have 17in wheels and sat at 22.5" ground to fender last year with Racelands. People online say the B&G's go much lower than Racelands without modification. Well unless I'm doing something completely wrong thats not true. I lowerd the shockbody and the spring height all the way down on all 4 corners of the car and I'm sitting at 23.25" after letting it settle for 24 hours. Any suggestions here? Clearly they do not go lower than that without modifying the perches or the bumpstops.
      Thanks.
      Online dating is in!

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      03-14-2012 10:53 PM #2
      It's not that B&Gs go lower than other coilovers that makes them better, it's that you retain full shock travel as you go lower. So at equivalent heights the B&Gs will ride better that most others.

B&Gs recommendation is not to lower the spring perches at all. Set the ride height by spinning the shock bodies down as low as they will go then set the spring perches so the springs just make contact with the top hats. If you start lowering the perches from there you're losing shock travel and ride quality.

Vehicles
      03-15-2012 12:11 PM #3
      Yes I know thats why I bought them. But I also bought them to go low on 17's while retaining spring travel or so I'm told. Well I got off the phone with the guy from B&G and I'm as low as I can go. Its quite unfortunate because the rears need to be lower and I cant go any lower without taking out the perches. I also cannot go any lower in front without modifying the bumpstops. Wish people on here would post pics of how stock B&G's look on 17's. Without cutting the bumpstops these things don't go as low as I need them to be. MR. Rictus or however you spell his name claims to have no finger gap with 30 threads left up front on 17's. Well those tires must be gigantic because I have no threads left and I'm all the way down on the shock body and have almost a finger gap between the tire and the fender on 17's. They still ride pretty nice for having the springs and the shock body cranked all the way down. Just wish they would go as low as people say they do.
      Online dating is in!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 B200 Turbo
      03-15-2012 09:05 PM #4
      wow good input.. i was about to invest in these.. would like to see more feedback.
      bump
      || drive green || eurodrivers.ca ||

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 04:22 PM #5
      Yeah I'm all the way down in the front and sit at 23" flat on 17x8.5 with a 205x45 on it. People say these things go incredibly low without modification. Well thats BS. Without cutting the bump stops im as low as they will go. B&G definitely has false advertising on their site at least looking at the 2 MKIV pics that they have. I spoke with a rep and he said they did not modify the bump stops. BS. I'm completely bottomed out and those cars sit lower with the same setup I have. Still ride pretty niec for completely bottomed out tho. Just wish people would be honest about coils. They do not go as low as I need them to be without modification to the bumpstops that's for sure.
      Last edited by Stanky Turbo; 04-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.
      Online dating is in!

Vehicles
      2012 gti
      03-30-2012 01:35 PM #6
      I'm on stock 18 on my mk6 gti all the way down with two collars removed up front and 22 15/16 ftg.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 11:35 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by adisz View Post
      I'm on stock 18 on my mk6 gti all the way down with two collars removed up front and 22 15/16 ftg.
      Well that still doesn't answer my question. You have a Mk6 I have a MK4, Do you have the bumpstops trimmed or are they just stock? Once again tho, they are modified. You took out both of the lower collars. I was really hoping these coilovers would go sub 23" Without ANY modification so I could have an actual Lifetime Warranty. I know how to modify coils to make them go as low as I need them to be (trimming bumpstops, removing perches, ect.) but I was told B&G would go lower than my Racelands with NO modification. Well I sat at 22.5" on 17x8.5 with 205/45's in front with my Racelands. My racelands barely had any bumpstops because I trimmed them so much. Also I had the rear Perches removed. Just wish B&G would go as low as everyone says they will WITHOUT modification to bumpstops, perches, collars...I currently sit at 23" completely bottomed out up front with the B&G's.
      Last edited by Stanky Turbo; 04-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.
      Online dating is in!

Vehicles
      ms3 zoom zoom
      04-03-2012 11:54 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Stanky Turbo View Post
      Well that still doesn't answer my question. You have a Mk6 I have a MK4, Do you have the bumpstops trimmed or are they just stock? Once again tho, they are modified. You took out both of the lower collars. I was really hoping these coilovers would go sub 23" Without ANY modification so I could have an actual Lifetime Warranty. I know how to modify coils to make them go as low as I need them to be (trimming bumpstops, removing perches, ect.) but I was told B&G would go lower than my Racelands with NO modification. Well I sat at 22.5" on 17x8.5 with 205/35's in front with my Racelands. My racelands barely had any bumpstops because I trimmed them so much. Also I had the rear Perches removed. Just wish B&G would go as low as everyone says they will WITHOUT modification to bumpstops, perches, collars...I currently sit at 23" completely bottomed out up front with the B&G's.
      Think about it... if you're reusing the stock bumpstops.. and you couldn't go as low as another pair of coils because of them... did you really think you'd get lower on a different set? Yeah, it's stupid that B&G would say you could go XYZ low on them without modifications... but it's pretty clear they are limiting you so you need to make the necessary modifications if you want to go lower.

This stuff is all the same whether you're on air or static... you'll always have to modify and cut stuff to go low in a MK4 It's been covered a million times. I don't know how you're so shocked.
      science: it's for real.

Vehicles
      04-03-2012 12:11 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by tobz@postreleased View Post
      Think about it... if you're reusing the stock bumpstops.. and you couldn't go as low as another pair of coils because of them... did you really think you'd get lower on a different set? Yeah, it's stupid that B&G would say you could go XYZ low on them without modifications... but it's pretty clear they are limiting you so you need to make the necessary modifications if you want to go lower.

This stuff is all the same whether you're on air or static... you'll always have to modify and cut stuff to go low in a MK4 It's been covered a million times. I don't know how you're so shocked.
      Hah I was just hoping that for once there wouldn't be false advertising. On B&G's website they have a pic of a grey MK4 GTI and a MK4 Jetta that are a lot lower than me, I called the rep out on it. He said that those pics are of Unmodified B&G coils. Well that's just not true. All I'm saying is I wish people would be truthful about their product. The rep told me that by modifying the bumpstops I void the warranty. Thats all I'm saying. B&G should post pics of UNMODIFIED COILOVERS ON THEIR SITE. Do not post pics of cars that have B&G coils with chopped bumpstops/perches removed and claim they are "unmodified". That is false advertising. So no I'm not shocked that I have to modify them at all, I knew I would have to modify them. I was just telling my story so others know whats going on here.
      Online dating is in!

Vehicles
      2012 gti
      04-05-2012 01:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Stanky Turbo View Post
      Well that still doesn't answer my question. You have a Mk6 I have a MK4, Do you have the bumpstops trimmed or are they just stock? Once again tho, they are modified. You took out both of the lower collars. I was really hoping these coilovers would go sub 23" Without ANY modification so I could have an actual Lifetime Warranty. I know how to modify coils to make them go as low as I need them to be (trimming bumpstops, removing perches, ect.) but I was told B&G would go lower than my Racelands with NO modification. Well I sat at 22.5" on 17x8.5 with 205/35's in front with my Racelands. My racelands barely had any bumpstops because I trimmed them so much. Also I had the rear Perches removed. Just wish B&G would go as low as everyone says they will WITHOUT modification to bumpstops, perches, collars...I currently sit at 23" completely bottomed out up front with the B&G's.
      I didn't trim my bump stops because they are tiny. I guess it's different on the mk4. Without modding the coils all the way Down to the collars I was about 23 3/4 with 18's. I was also told they go low and kind of disappointed but after the collars went out it's sits low now.

Vehicles
      cheby
      04-05-2012 07:22 PM #11
      you're using a 205/35/17?? lolol

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 01:26 PM #12
      Actually no Im using a 205x45 on a 17x8.5 up front So good catch my mistake. But I finally got it to where it needs to be. 22.5" up front after cutting the bumpstops in half and 22.75" in the rear after taking out the perches. Thought the B&G's would go that low without having to do that, well they dont.
      Online dating is in!