Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New chirping noise when downshifting

1. 03-14-2012 09:00 PM #1
      This is a 2001 TT quatro roadster with 84k miles. Its already had its 80k services done. Just had discount tires here in Colorado put on some new all season tires.

After it came out of the shop i noticed that when i down shift under any sort of load something starts chirping. On the car's records that i got from the previous owner, there was a report of this same noise, but once he took it to the auto shop the noise was not re-producible.

The chirping only happens when my foot is letting off of the clutch near the top. If im not downshifting i cant hear it. I can do it at will, if i start in second get to about 3k rpm and down shift into first, going no more than 12mph. It is less noticeable going from 6th at 3krpm to 5th, if at all noticeable going 65mph ish (this may be due to road noise). The noise was not present when downshifting prior to getting new tires.

Not much spare change at the moment so it looks like i will rev match or not downshift for the time being, or just wait and see if it goes away. The car was on a lift to have the tires removed, im thinking that due to the suspension having no load this did something to my dogbones or some sort of alignment. I am fairly certain the noise is not the tires chirping.

Any advice or recommendations on what the issue is would be greatly appreciated. Records state that the clutch and transmission where serviced at 80k and deemed in fine working condition. The flywheel was not replaced, the auto shop suggested it but the previous owner opted not too.

2. 03-15-2012 11:14 AM #2
      I can now hear the chirping noise at low speed while coasting with the clutch in, and maybe a little while accelerating at low speeds.

Vehicles
      2000 Audi TTq
      03-15-2012 01:59 PM #3
      Is it a constant chirp and does it match the wheel speed??

Do you have a bird in your dash??

Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree.

4. 03-15-2012 07:38 PM #4
      I would not say it matches the wheel speed. It is audible at higher speeds and is a fairly consistent rough chirping sound. Took it to the tire place to have them re-seat the tires and double check they did everything right. They found nothing. It seems to happen when there is any revers force on the wheels. when the clutch is in and the wheels are free spinning its not very audible, if at all. If the clutch is not depressed and its in gear, and im not accelerating its very audible. The more negative force on the wheels the louder it is. When turning it changes tones and sounds more like a metal rubbing rough chirping noise. im wondering if it may be some sort of control arm bushing going out.

5. 03-15-2012 08:05 PM #5
      My brakes are definitely looking like they need some more pad. Could this be a wear indicator for the brakes even though the car chirps when the brakes are not pressed?

Vehicles
      2000 Audi TTq
      03-16-2012 01:31 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Sirric View Post
      My brakes are definitely looking like they need some more pad. Could this be a wear indicator for the brakes even though the car chirps when the brakes are not pressed?
      That would be a good guess...
      Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree.

7. 03-16-2012 04:23 PM #7
      This morning was cold, like 30ish. The chirping only started after the car had warmed up. At about 15 miles from a cold start, with mostly freeway driving (60mph+). Im planning to get some new brakes this weekend, it needs to be done regardless. If anyone else has experienced this feel free to still chime in.