Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Sticks in neutral when stopping.

Vehicles
      84 Cabbie 2.0 swap, 98 Jetta 2.0
      03-14-2012 09:26 PM #1
      I bought a 98 Passat 1.8T Auto. I know, I know, it's an auto... But it seemed like such a sweet deal, i couldn't pass it up.

It ran OK but it seemed like the turbo was shot. I never felt or heard the boost at all, just seemed under powered, but still ran fine.

One day, I change the oil and the air filter. My intake was completely clogged with leaves and debri. I also cleared all that junk out. Immediately thereafter, i let it warm up a few minutes and circulate the oil, then went for a drive.

Here is what i immediately notices:

If I slow down too rapidly or even at a normal rate, when i come to a stop, the car pops into neutral for a few seconds before kicking back into first. If i slow down to rapidly to make a turn, it will do the same thing, then pop into second. I think the problem may be when it downshifts more than 1 gear at a time, it seems to hesitate locking into gear.

Also, sometimes, if i accelarate too rapidly, the RPM's fly as though it is a manual, and the clutch is going out. This only happens occassionally. I know it sounds like a tranny issue, but the car ran great before the maintenance, only felt a little under powered.

I found a broken vacuum check valve, but after replacing it, these symptoms seem to be less severe but still occur and are very apparent.

I searched and searched for a leak in a vacuum line, but haven't found one. I don't know if it could be a speed sensor, or low on tranny fluid. Stupid tiptronic... It's a closed system, and i don't know how to check the oil. I've heard it's a difficult process.

Anyone got any advice???????

Thanks for looking, I appreciate the help.
      Last edited by (Batman; 03-14-2012 at 09:39 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      03-14-2012 09:53 PM #2
      Yep, it is a tranny issue, so best to re-post over in the AT forum. Include a tranny description.

That said,
      * Have it scanned with VAGCom (not sure that generic scanners can get codes from the TCM)
      * Check the fluid level. There are howtos over in the AT forum FAQs, it's not hard. Basically: just wait until it is a certain temperature (by VAGCom, thermocouple on the pan, or your calibrated hand), then remove a fill plug. Add till it just dribbles out then re-install the plug.
      * Check the condition of the TCM; lots of times they are wet. If so, start looking for a replacement (using the exact TCM P/N)
      * It didn't happen before because you had no torque to speak of. Now you have a little more, and it will (or can) slip just like a manual if it's on the way out.

Vehicles
      03-14-2012 10:51 PM #3
      Thx for the advice. I found a link with very precise instructions on how to change the tranny fluid. I'm going to change the fluid, and replace the filter. Cross some fingers, and pray to the VW gods. Maybe that will help.

Vehicles
      03-16-2012 10:49 PM #4
      I'm having the car scanned tomorrow with a Vagcom.

Crossing my fingers...

Vehicles
      07-05-2012 09:03 PM #5
      TRANNY FLUSH!!!!!

New fluid + filter = Happy Transmission

Not to mention the fluid was 3 liters low

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      07-06-2012 01:58 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by (Batman View Post
      TRANNY FLUSH!!!!!

New fluid + filter = Happy Transmission

Not to mention the fluid was 3 liters low
      NOTE: The filter change didn't fix your problem. Your problem was the fluid was low. Now that the fluid is full your problem is gone.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com