Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 golf speed issue

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      91 celica GT, 02 VW Golf
      03-14-2012 10:41 PM #1
      ok so this is my problem. i belive it to be a speed sensor to be the problem but wanted to get your guys opinions.

the problem is at approx 60+mph the speedo starts to mess up. the speedo jumps and fluctuates and does not read right. RPM's are rock solid and do not fluctuate. and ideas or inputs would be much apreciated.

car is a 2002 vw golf gls with the 2.0 automatic.
      1991 toyota celica GT
      JE Forged Pistons, Eagle Forged Connecting Rods, Cometic MLS Head Gasket, Toga HV Oil Pump, HKS Valve Springs, HKS Cam Gears, ATS T-vis Phnolic Spacer, HUX Racing 3sgte Manifold, Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbocharger, HKS SSQV black BOV, Stage 5 Clutch, Lightened Flywheel,
      Just to name afew

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      91 celica GT, 02 VW Golf
      03-14-2012 11:15 PM #2
      i forgot to add that with the cruse control the car speed isnt constant, so to me it seems like the input signal is off so thats another reason why i think its a speed sensor vs gauge issue
      1991 toyota celica GT
      JE Forged Pistons, Eagle Forged Connecting Rods, Cometic MLS Head Gasket, Toga HV Oil Pump, HKS Valve Springs, HKS Cam Gears, ATS T-vis Phnolic Spacer, HUX Racing 3sgte Manifold, Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbocharger, HKS SSQV black BOV, Stage 5 Clutch, Lightened Flywheel,
      Just to name afew

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      03-15-2012 02:36 PM #3
      Speedometer signal comes from the G28 sensor. You may need the sensor or maybe have a connection problem to the sensor or maybe the gears might be missing a tooth in the trans.

Theres some info in this thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246679
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 03-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      91 celica GT, 02 VW Golf
      03-15-2012 07:52 PM #4
      thanks for the information, i have ordered the sensor, hopefully i can get it in before i make my trip back home. kinda sucked doing 90+mph and only reading 75.
      1991 toyota celica GT
      Just to name afew