VWVortex.com - Sticks in neutral for several seconds when downshifting
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Sticks in neutral for several seconds when downshifting

Fresno, Ca
      84 Cabbie 2.0 swap, 98 Jetta 2.0
      03-14-2012 11:59 PM #1
      I bought a 98 Passat 1.8T 5 speed tiptronic. I know, I know, it's an auto... But it seemed like such a sweet deal, i couldn't pass it up.

It ran OK but it seemed like the turbo was shot. I never felt or heard the boost at all, just seemed under powered, but still ran fine.

One day, I change the oil and the air filter. My intake was completely clogged with leaves and debri. I also cleared all that junk out. Immediately thereafter, i let it warm up a few minutes and circulate the oil, then went for a drive.

Here is what i immediately notices:

If I slow down too rapidly or even at a normal rate, when i come to a stop, the car pops into neutral for a few seconds before kicking back into first. If i slow down too rapidly to make a turn, it will do the same thing, then pop into second. I think the problem may be when it downshifts more than 1 gear at a time, it seems to hesitate locking into gear.

Also, sometimes, if i accelarate too rapidly, the RPM's fly as though it is a manual, and the clutch is going out. This seems to happen more often in 5th gear. This only happens occassionally. I know it sounds like a tranny issue, but the car ran great before the maintenance, only felt a little under powered.

I found a broken vacuum check valve, but after replacing it, these symptoms seem to be less severe but still occur and are very apparent.

I searched and searched for a leak in a vacuum line, but haven't found one. I don't know if it could be a speed sensor, or low on tranny fluid.

Just today, I found instructions on how to change the tranny fluid on these closed systems. I'm hoping once I change the fluid, that will make a difference.

Anyone got any advice???????

Thanks for looking, I appreciate the help.
      Last edited by (Batman; 03-15-2012 at 03:02 AM.

For advertising information click HERE