Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: No B&W choice in camera, only with software, wtf?

Vehicles
      a Mk2, a Mk4, a B5, and an FZJ80
      03-15-2012 01:26 AM #1
      So...We recently lost our P&S Sony and replaced it with a new Sony (a WX9). We've been happy with Sony and compared other brands before buying this one. We liked the colors and features better, so please, let's not make this a brand battle.

This camera takes great pictures, but one thing and only one thing is annoying: The lack of a choice of B&W unless you copy and modify a foto with the included software.

When did this start? Are other brands doing this with their smaller cameras? We could've paid another $80 or so for the next model up, which includes the B&W feature.

I realize you can go B&W from a color foto and not vice verse, ok. But, I just like to line up my intended image and decide there whether color or B&W.

Is there any other downside to this besides the user being annoyed?

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Thanks in advance!
      Gone and missed: '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      03-15-2012 03:53 PM #2
      My last camera that did this took film.

3. 03-15-2012 09:06 PM #3
      I'd rather do it in post. You can emulate your favorite B&W film that way.

Vehicles
      1986 Alfa Spider, 2005 Ford Freestyle
      03-15-2012 09:24 PM #4
      seems much ado about nothing... moving on

5. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-15-2012 10:11 PM #5
      How would the composing of your shot vary if it was going to be BW or Color? Just take the photo and change it in post. If you're using a P/S you're not exactly doing an Anne Leibovitz study of light and shadow.

6. 03-15-2012 10:42 PM #6
      Ready for a mind trip?

I have my camera set to monochrome. I only see the B&W versions if I chimp, et cetera. However, since I shoot most of the time in RAW, the color profiles are saved, and I import into the computer in color. Never see the color version until I load the file to process it.

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      03-16-2012 10:38 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by hover View Post
      Ready for a mind trip?

I have my camera set to monochrome. I only see the B&W versions if I chimp, et cetera. However, since I shoot most of the time in RAW, the color profiles are saved, and I import into the computer in color. Never see the color version until I load the file to process it.
      So, what happens when your white balance is off and you want that color shot? Just curious

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit
      03-16-2012 10:43 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by speedn16v View Post
      I'd rather do it in post. You can emulate your favorite B&W film that way.
      B&W directly off the camera is never as good as post processing.
      OK.

9. 03-16-2012 11:07 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by AWhiteRabbit View Post
      B&W directly off the camera is never as good as post processing.
      Unless it's a fuji Xseries.
      Greg
      '74 Volvo 142
      '13 JSW TDI

10. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      03-16-2012 11:09 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Brickx3 View Post
      So, what happens when your white balance is off and you want that color shot? Just curious
      I was wondering the same, unless he card balances before every shot and just hopes for the best.

03-16-2012 01:42 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Brickx3 View Post
      He's shooting RAW, white balance can be adjusted freely in post.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

12. 03-16-2012 11:36 PM #12
      What sonicGLI said. I'll set a custom WB for rooms that I know I'm going to be in a lot, but autoWB for the most part. Shooting weddings and running from room to room, it isn't worth it to switch it from cloudy to sunny to flash to whatever. AutoWB usually gets me close enough, and it's easy enough to move a slider if I feel it's off later. Which, honestly, if I don't set a custom WB, I usually do anyway.

13. 03-16-2012 11:39 PM #13
      I grew up with B&W, and also shooting in B&W forces you to look at the light more than a color shot with all the distractions. Give it a whirl, you might surprise yourself. Make sure that you are shooting in RAW though! I almost pooped myself when all I saw were the jpgs from a recent shoot for an automotive blog, then I scrolled up to see the RAWs.

14. 03-17-2012 03:20 PM #14
      If built-in B&W mode is that important to you, you'll have to check the specs more carefully on the next camera you're going to buy. Yes, it is annoying if you don't like or have the time for post processing your photos. It would be worth the extra $80 as an in-camera feature.