Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Getting into SOLO: MkV R32

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk5 R32 #108, 08' Mk5 Jetta
      03-15-2012 11:50 AM #1
      My first event is in one month and I have a lot to learn! I know everyone says to mod the driver first and focus on upgrades later. I understand that my main intention of the car at first was for DD but autoX looks fun!

I have been doing a lot of reading, walk the course, take all the advice you can get, walk the course, look ahead of you... ect.

I have read a little on tire pressure. over inflate chalk and find the sweet spot.

I know I have a lot to learn but everyone starts somewhere, practice makes close to perfect.

Here is my current setup:
      Upgraded haldex controller with switch in race mode.
      HPA engine mount
      Redstuff brakes
      SS lines
      Adams Rotors
      Tyrol stiffening kit.
      UM combo tune

also have a catback but idk that matters maybe 10# weight loss

I will be running vision V wheels 18"
      with Eagle goodyear F1 summer tires
      that is my summer wheel and tire setup for now.

So what are your suggestions I am very excited to try this out!
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

Vehicles
      Five two-seaters, two hatchbacks, and a big ass pickup truck
      03-15-2012 08:37 PM #2
      See if your local region offers schools in the spring, and sign up for one of those. You'll get a ton of seat time with experienced instructors ready to offer tips and tricks from the passenger seat.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2012 09:59 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
      See if your local region offers schools in the spring, and sign up for one of those. You'll get a ton of seat time with experienced instructors ready to offer tips and tricks from the passenger seat.
      Thanks, I will try to see if they offer that. this is my first autox and it is also the first event of the season
      Projekt German Auto Grüppe - German car entusiast club based in Iowa with members all over the Midwest

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2012 09:43 AM #4
      Does anyone think i will have trouble with the tires that i will be running?

225/40/18
      Goodyear Eagle F1 Summer Performance

Vehicles
      '87 Scirocco 16V, '12 Golf R
      03-16-2012 09:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rhcp4life View Post
      Does anyone think i will have trouble with the tires that i will be running?

225/40/18
      Goodyear Eagle F1 Summer Performance
      I wouldn't spend any more money on the car until you have a couple autocrosses under your belt.

That said, if you want to be truly competitive, in all the classes except ST, you need R-comps. In the ST classes you want Dunlop Star Specs, Yokohama AD08's, Bridgestone RE-11's, or Kumo XS's. (assuming you're running in SCCA events).

Are you going to be at SCCA, NASA, or another group? Find the rule book for the sanctioning body. For the SCCA it is at http://www.scca.com/assets/2012_Solo...ry_reduced.pdf
      Figure out what class your current mods put you in. Then see what is allowed in that class that you haven't done.
      My Scirocco 16V still has stock cams, even though cams are a relatively easy way to get more power from it, because it would move me out of the ST classes into something faster. I like ST because R-comps aren't allowed, so I can race and daily drive on the same set of tires: Yokohama AD08's.

I'm not familiar with all the mods you mentioned but the one that jumped out was the Haldex controller. I'm very curious what SCCA class that puts you in. I'm taking delivery of a Golf R soon and would like to eventually upgrade the haldex.

Hope that helped some.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 08:39 AM #6
      No more planned mods just driving.

Couple of people have mentioned it will be difficult on the corners with the narrow tires(225) and the weight of the car(3600#)

7. 03-26-2012 04:19 PM #7
      I have a MKV R32, and back when I had a steady job/income, I had been racing it in the STX class.

Sadly, that Haldex controller is not allowed in Street Touring, and off course not in Stock either. Since it has been about 2 years since I last raced, not sure if allowed in Street Prepared either. But damn if our car doesn't NEED it!

For tires, as mentioned, go with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. They are also relatively cheaper than all the others. I am soon to be on my 3rd set, I love them that much!

I have KW V3 coilovers on my car. If they had them out when I setup my car in 08, I would have wanted the KW Clubsport coilovers! Those come with better springs and camber plates. But if I had to do it all over again, I think I would go with some simpler setup like Yellow Koni Sports or Ohlins shocks and properly matched Eibach springs.

If not already been reading this thread, I would suggest you join us here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?p=74719459

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 08:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Krishna View Post

Sadly, that Haldex controller is not allowed in Street Touring, and off course not in Stock either. Since it has been about 2 years since I last raced, not sure if allowed in Street Prepared either. But damn if our car doesn't NEED it!

For tires, as mentioned, go with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. They are also relatively cheaper than all the others. I am soon to be on my 3rd set, I love them that much!
      I was curious about the Haldex controller classing for when my Golf R comes off warranty. I couldn't find any mention of reprogramming an active differential in the rules. Asked my local rules/class guy, who happens to have a very modded Subaru 2.5RS, and he said the rules don't specify. He views it as same as a reprogrammed engine controller, which would put it in the Street Touring classes. Also said that lots of Evolution owners are reprogramming their center diff's and thus expects there to be specific rules in the next couple years.

The Kumho Ecsta XS is the cheapest the extreme performance tires on tirerack.

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 08:28 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by rhcp4life View Post
      No more planned mods just driving.

Couple of people have mentioned it will be difficult on the corners with the narrow tires(225) and the weight of the car(3600#)
      The wider the tires the better as long as they aren't rubbing and they don't exceed what's allowed for your class.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 MKIV R32, 2007 Wolfsburg Passat, 2012 Golf R
      03-28-2012 02:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoX Matt View Post
      I was curious about the Haldex controller classing for when my Golf R comes off warranty. I couldn't find any mention of reprogramming an active differential in the rules. Asked my local rules/class guy, who happens to have a very modded Subaru 2.5RS, and he said the rules don't specify. He views it as same as a reprogrammed engine controller, which would put it in the Street Touring classes. Also said that lots of Evolution owners are reprogramming their center diff's and thus expects there to be specific rules in the next couple years.

The Kumho Ecsta XS is the cheapest the extreme performance tires on tirerack.
      Haldex controller is not allowed in ST classes. Simplest way to interpret the SCCA rulebook is that if it does not state that you can do something then you cannot.

link to rules http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ules_March.pdf

12.12 defines traction control and 14.10.B defines what you can do with it in ST. Bolded for emphasis

12.12 TRACTION/STABILITY CONTROL
      A system that adjusts engine power, braking force, or torque distribution
      when wheelspin, understeer, or oversteer is detected or predicted. Conventional
      limited slip differentials (e.g. viscous, passive clutch, helical/
      worm gear, locker) are explicitly excluded, but “active” differentials and
      their controllers are included.

14.10.B Original equipment traction control systems may be electrically disabled, but not removed or altered in any other way.

11. 03-28-2012 03:43 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by AutoX Matt View Post
      The wider the tires the better as long as they aren't rubbing and they don't exceed what's allowed for your class.
      And I believe in the ST classes, due to the R32 being AWD like the WRX, 225 is the max. Where the other non AWD cars get to use up to 245's, which most of the BMW drivers find ways of stuffing under their fenders.

And yes, the Kumho XS may be the cheapest, but still go with the Dunlops. I have had the Kumho tires before, and could not wait till they were ready to be replaced. They have a soft sidewall, so you have to use some extreme tire pressures to get them stiffer for crisp handling. They also get "greasy" too easily, and not that great in the wet. The Dunlops are amazing even in heavy downpours!

When I had my STi in STU, though I was never a national champ, a lot of subie owners paid attention to what I used. Max Hayter was a friend, and we worked on our cars together. What went on my car, eventually ended up on his. He came close at a few national events back then. Anyway, we had used the Yokohama's for awhile, but those got expensive. Many went with the Bridgestones as well, and I was the first to go against the grain and try the Dunops. Not long after, Max and the others were on them too. And even today, they are still a top choice.

When I had a stock STi, a BMW driver buddy of mine (forgot his name, Toby Larsen I think, but he and his wife had been top STX competitors) praised those Kumho tires, so I tried them. It was not long after, they stopped using them cause they found out they had been wrong. And now I was stuck (sliding around) on them.

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 06:49 PM #12
      And I believe in the ST classes, due to the R32 being AWD like the WRX, 225 is the max. Where the other non AWD cars get to use up to 245's.
      In the ST classes the R32 is STX which allows 245mm tires on awd cars (265 for 2wd).
      The Street Prepared classes allow any size wheel & tire.

Here are the 2 comparison reviews of the Star Specs, AD08's, RE11's, & XS's I've found:
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118
      http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-2/

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 07:01 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by a4tq View Post
      12.12 defines traction control and 14.10.B defines what you can do with it in ST.
      Never noticed 12.12 before. Thank you.

So it seems rhcp4life will be in Street Modified (which is nuts), since modifying traction control is prohibited in Street Prepared also.
      There will be cars there much more modified than the R32 in question.

I hope that's changed before I'm ready to autocross my Golf R. On the other hand, chipping a turbocharged car would put me into Street Mod anyway....

14. 03-28-2012 11:31 PM #14
      And I believe in the ST classes, due to the R32 being AWD like the WRX, 225 is the max. Where the other non AWD cars get to use up to 245's.
      In the ST classes the R32 is STX which allows 245mm tires on awd cars (265 for 2wd).
      The Street Prepared classes allow any size wheel & tire.

Here are the 2 comparison reviews of the Star Specs, AD08's, RE11's, & XS's I've found:
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=118
      http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...-tires-part-2/
      Ok, I stand corrected on the size limits. Been 2 years since I was last active (damn economy!).

Those are a few year old tire tests, though still useful. But a major discussion we had back then on the SCCAforums about tires really got quite "heated", pardon the pun. Those (new at the time) Toyo's looked to be some pretty awesome tires! But then Andy Hollis (don't get me going on about HIM! lol) and Ken Montonishi found out those Toyo tires mainly worked on the lightweight Honda "FrankenCivics", and would rip up or chunk when used on heavier cars. The Bridgestones were good, but way too $$$$$ for what you'd get out of them. I too loved the Advan Neova on my STi, but they cost an arm and a leg each. So for the price, and performance per dollar, not to mention wet weather performance, the Dunlop wins in my opinion.

But Andy Hollis, and Civics, grrrrrr!!!!! And also that Grassroots test was done, naturally, on his FWD super STX Civic. It can't even be used for a baseline for a heavier car, let alone an AWD R (or my old STi).

*** also of note, nearly all ST class tire tests typically are done with Honda Civics. That, sadly, is pretty much THE car to race if you want to be competitive in ST. It is so damn lightweight, and has a zillion parts available for it. Only if you have a WRX or BMW 328i do you stand a decent chance. Well, when I was racing. But looking at that new Ford Focus ST at the auto show,.......hmmm.

12.12 defines traction control and 14.10.B defines what you can do with it in ST.
      Never noticed 12.12 before. Thank you.

So it seems rhcp4life will be in Street Modified (which is nuts), since modifying traction control is prohibited in Street Prepared also.
      There will be cars there much more modified than the R32 in question.

I hope that's changed before I'm ready to autocross my Golf R. On the other hand, chipping a turbocharged car would put me into Street Mod anyway....
      One thought, is the new SCCA supplemental classes - the true street tire stock classes, which I had wished for for many years! Your R could maybe do well there? Too bad they did not keep the magnetic shocks that I believe were on the Euro models? Those would have been sweet.

As for chipping, I had my STi flashed. But there were some ecu programming that were made SCCA legal. As long as you do not touch turbo boost, you can have the timing, ignition, and whatever tweaked. Just never touch turbo boost, electronic or manual. Of course, if the boost raised "naturally" by installing an ST legal intake, downpipe, or cat back exhaust, that was allowed.
      Last edited by Harry_Krishna; 03-28-2012 at 11:38 PM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-28-2012 11:57 PM #15
      Interesting I'm new so I hope they put me in a beginner class. I did all said mods before I decided to autoX..

I still havent installed the race switch so it's just the haldex reflashed. I know no one would tell if the car is flashed, so I'm assuming everything is on the honor system? I've already listed my mods when I registered. I just plan on running my 225 for now.

Any thing to bring to the track that is a must?

I have a aluminum skid plate I should probably remove that before I run.

16. 03-29-2012 02:56 AM #16
      Both Cal Club (my old region) and Texas regions have a novice class. You all run and compete in the same group, but under an index system (created by an old fellow Chicago region buddy, Rick Ruth). So your raw time does not always mean you won, it is calculated with the index for each original class. Otherwise, how could a Yugo compete against a Vette?

Typically, you can stay in novice for some time, unless you keep winning, and thus thought to be sandbagging. Also while in novice, you can opt for free instructors to ride with you and help teach you to race. Do this every time. Also, if possible, try to get an instructor who is familiar with your car. If not, at least try for an EVO or WRX/STi driver, who knows AWD.

17. 03-29-2012 03:07 AM #17
      Oh, and what to bring?

Folding chair!!!!!!!
      Tools
      Water or Gatorade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Some good shoes (both for driving, and standing for hours out on the course when it's your turn to chase cones)
      Buy your own helmet someday. I got an open face Simpson (helps on super hot days too!)
      Buy a big, wide brimmed floppy hat! Mike Simiyani (sp?) back in Cal Club was infamous for having one. Almost big enough for a couple of us to hide under for shade during hot days.

Also of note - do your duty to work the course when requested! Not only is it needed to help run the events, but you are right there at the action, and take notice how the better drivers take the turns or slaloms. Watch everything! Breaking points, turn in, power on, watch it all. Even better if you get to work first! Then you get to check it all out before its your turn. And chat with the others out there working with you. Pick their minds as well.

And of course, most of all - HAVE FUN!

Damn I miss racing! If only had a job and a life again,.........

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 05:45 PM #18
      When we run a local event we bring a lot of stuff. Probably too much stuff. Packing light has never been out strong suit.

We have a plastic tote with rags and towels, camera mounts and cameras, chalk, tire pressure gauge, pens and note pads, sunscreen, snacks (pop tarts and granola bars), blue tape, driving gloves, etc etc.

In the wagon we have the cordless impact wrench, torque wrench, basic tool kit (socket set/screwdrivers/pliers). Cooler with water/gatorade/Monster. Clothes bag with clean T-shirts and, if we're expecting rain, socks and sneakers. Umbrella. Air tank. Magnetic numbers. Cockpit cover for the Miata (keeps sun off of interior without having to put the top up). Helmets.

Over the last couple of years we really haven't needed nearly everything we've brought, but there's a chance that even if we don't need everything, chances are someone else might and we can score some karma points by helping out. You never know when giving someone a spare Gatorade on a hot afternoon might lead to a co-drive in his S2000 somewhere down the road.

Vehicles
      03-29-2012 09:35 PM #19
      Check the forcast ahead of time. You will be spending a lot of time standing in the open, so dress appropriately. You will most likely be running after cones when you're not driving. Wear comfortable shoes & clothes. Hat and sun tan lotion are good. So is Gatorade or anything to keep you hydrated & snacks. Blue painter's tape is used to put your number on your car. Tire pumps & gauges are useful.

Get an instructor to ride with you as much as possible. Get them to drive your car if possible. Try to get an instructor who races an awd car or something as close to yours as possible.

Get there as early as possible. You only get a limited # of runs so you want time to walk the course a couple times before the runs start. Make sure you get the novice course walk if your region has one.

Mods & classes are basically on the honor system. Other people in your class can protest if they think you violated the class rules some how.

Different regions have different personalities and different ways of doing things. My region is fairly small and laid back and most people are just there to have a good time. A near by region has a much larger turn out and competitors who are very serious about winning.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2012 09:58 PM #20
      Can't wait for this!

21. 10-06-2013 02:50 PM #21
      So, it has been awhile since this post was started. How did everything go for you? You still racing? How about the rest of you guys?

Quite exciting that they have finally made the stock classes TRUE street tires. Perhaps some interesting times ahead?

Who'd have known, back then when I seen that new Ford Focus ST at the auto show, how it would effect me later. I almost got one a few weeks ago, but the dealer was a jerk. Then I came across a brand new (blue, of course) 2014 Fiesta ST at another dealer, that had just come off the truck, and the rest is history. Not as upscale as my R32, but an amazing car all the same. It is back to the more basics of what the thrill of driving a performance car should be, and oh so tossable. Brings back the fond memories of my early days with Spitfires and such. It brought back the passion of driving again. Can't wait to try it at an AutoX someday soon. But it has made even just driving to work, fun again.

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      10-10-2013 09:29 AM #22

Quite exciting that they have finally made the stock classes TRUE street tires. Perhaps some interesting times ahead?
      You have, like, 2 days before that is official [or not]. Patience!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      11-13-2013 12:02 AM #23
      Didnt get to race this year much, because of work....

Next year. going in this month to do some tuning, exhaust work and SAI removal.

Vehicles
      11-16-2013 09:58 PM #24
      So, it has been awhile since this post was started. How did everything go for you? You still racing? How about the rest of you guys?
      For me, we weren't as good as last year. Only wound up fourth in season points in my class in my region (behind three CRX drivers). I did get second in STS at the Dover Tour (behind a CRX), which was nice. 17th at Nationals but best in class (non-Toyo). Went with new suspension after we came back but we ran out of tire before we could give it a real testing out.

2014 should be better. We have more car upgrades coming and we've got Sam Strano coaching us. We have a full slate of local events and probably four or five national ones on the schedule so we'll be busy; with any luck we'll be competitive as well.