Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0 8v Gurus, please help with Auto Trans issue

Vehicles
      02 A4
      03-15-2012 04:44 PM #1
      I've only ever messed with 1.8Ts. I have been building and tuning them for a few years now. I like how simple 8Vs are, and I always wanted one to daily.

I decided to pick up a 95 MkIII Jetta for a daily, because it was pretty cheap and I've always wanted a 8v lol. It also only has 73k original miles, and is in pretty nice shape for a MkIII lol actually doesn't have any rust on it, almost no wind noise, and rides nice.

Now, for the bad. The car is a 2.0 8v automatic. The trans is a 4spd, and has a dipstick, which from what I understand is kinda rare, because most VW/Audi's have a sealed autotrans. Now, the car does not like to down shift. You have to do it manually. Also, when you go WOT, I can feel the "kick down" or whatever it's called click in the pedal, but the car won't down shift.

I've replaced the ECU/TCU to no avail. This week I'm going to change the trans fluid and filter and see if that helps anything.

I also think the ICM in the distributor is going bad, because randomly the car will go to die, and then will run perfectly fine. I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires. Also installed a new Throttle Position Sensor, still no change.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-19-2012 09:56 AM #2
      DanA4,

This problem should be a relatively straight forward fix, especially since you threw a bunch of "maybe" parts at it. Not the best approach, but will make it easier to diagnose now. Do you have a VCDS where you can monitor what the TCM is commanding the trans to do? Knowing whether it is commanding a forced downshift will save us a lot of diagnosing time. There are some rough and tumble ways in determining this with the ignition on, engine off, but the VCDS would be preferred.

Brad

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      03-19-2012 10:05 AM #3
      scan the tcm for trouble codes with vag-com
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com