Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jeep Liberty Debuts @ NAIAS in 2013 with 3.2 Pentastar V6

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      03-15-2012 08:56 PM #1

more pix of mule here:
      http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...nge-a-bit.html

The Liberty (hopefully renamed Cherokee) will be debuting in 2013 at NAIAS in Detroit.
      According to LeftLane News, the Liberty will be getting a smaller displacement version of the 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 and a 9-Speed automatic transmission.

From LLN:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-lib...n-january.html

By Mark Kleis
      Thursday, Mar 15th, 2012 @ 3:01 am

Chrysler currently has just one Pentastar V6 in its lineup for the U.S., a 3.6-liter unit, but that may change when the Detroit Auto Show kicks off in January next year.

Two sources within the United Auto Workers union have confirmed to Automotive News that 3.2-liter Pentastar V6 will make its world debut in the successor for the Jeep Liberty that is set to be unveiled at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show in January.

The Liberty successor will not only gain a new 3.2-liter V6, but also a nine-speed automatic transmission from ZF, the same supplier that created the eight-speed automatic found in multiple Chrysler products. Although no horsepower or fuel economy figures were given, it is likely that Jeep is going to make a very serious effort to capture the best-in-class fuel economy title with this new vehicle – something not usually associated with the rugged off-road-minded Jeep brand.

Some hints at this coming engine have been leaked directly from the lips of none other than Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, who said at the Geneva Motor Show, “If we had known the eight-speed [transmission] was coming, we would have made the [3.6-liter] Pentastar a 3.2-liter [V6].”

Vehicles
      Haldex AWD
      03-15-2012 09:07 PM #2
      9 speed Auto!
      Quote Originally Posted by KyleC
      ...Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air...will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Never under estimate car buying public's insatiable appetite for plastic cladding.

Vehicles
      '13 Chevy Sonic, '14 Mini R55 Clubman
      03-15-2012 09:11 PM #3
      9 speed auto? Sounds like the Libby is about to have an identity crisis. Seeing the fiat body over the underpinnings doesn't exactly help either...

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      03-15-2012 09:15 PM #4
      Fix the - worse then a Toyota from the mid 90's to mid 00's exhaust kink/hang - and I'll look at it again... All I see is hanging exhaust pipe in that picture... that's absolutely not acceptable in 2012, especially in an off road vehicle!!! (which should have as flat an underbody as possible, to at least give the illusion that nothing will get damaged if you take it thru some rocks, ruts, and mud).

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 TDI Jetta, 2010 Tiguan, 2001 Astro van
      03-15-2012 09:27 PM #5
      One word. Ugly.
      1/3 of highway deaths are caused by drunks.

The rest are caused by people who can't drive any better than a drunk.

Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      03-15-2012 09:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The Liberty (hopefully renamed Cherokee)
      FWD-based crossover? Hopefully it will NOT be called Cherokee.

Vehicles
      03 Cooper S, 13 Plug In Prius, 11 RAV4
      03-15-2012 09:29 PM #7
      ummm rebodied test mule!?
      ................................................www.PRIDECOLLISION.com

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      03-15-2012 10:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Bigtree View Post
      One word. Ugly.
      One word. Illiterate.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

9. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-15-2012 10:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      Fix the - worse then a Toyota from the mid 90's to mid 00's exhaust kink/hang - and I'll look at it again... All I see is hanging exhaust pipe in that picture... that's absolutely not acceptable in 2012, especially in an off road vehicle!!! (which should have as flat an underbody as possible, to at least give the illusion that nothing will get damaged if you take it thru some rocks, ruts, and mud).
      It's a test mule. It's probably safe to say that since it won't even be shown for nearly a year that it's simply undergoing testing and not exactly it's final shakedown before production begins.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      03-15-2012 11:19 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      FWD-based crossover? Hopefully it will NOT be called Cherokee.

I don't dispute the fact that the Cherokee has definitely found it's place as an off-road legend, but the ones that are off-roaded are most likely used vehicles on their second or third owners. While new, most Cherokees served duty as the suburban family station wagon. Since that role in modern times is now expected to be played by a FWD-based, unibody CUV, why shouldn't a future Cherokee deliver what the marketplace expects? Land Rover is doing just fine with 2 FWD based CUVs, so why wouldn't Jeep? As long as Jeep offers the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler as true off-roaders, the rest of the line-up does not need to be so hardcore.

Vehicles
      2007 Mazdaspeed3
      03-15-2012 11:23 PM #11
      Jeep mules with a plunging Alfa grille. Nothing to see here, move along, this is normal.

Vehicles
      '12 Mini Clubman S
      03-16-2012 12:48 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jordan 191 View Post
      Jeep mules with a plunging Alfa grille. Nothing to see here, move along, this is normal.
      The whole body is from a Giulietta...

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      03-16-2012 12:57 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by S4cabriofox View Post
      The whole body is from a Giulietta...
      You would think the entire concept of a test MULE was just invented yesterday.

It usually just the basic drivetrain and suspension popped in another heavily modified vehicle for testing.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      03-16-2012 01:08 AM #14
      One word. Ugly.
      Two Words: Test Mule
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

Vehicles
      94 Civic
      03-16-2012 01:10 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Two Words: Test Mule
      Three Words : I love pancakes

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta 2.5, 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 5 speed (250k miles and being rebuilt), 2008 Ninja 650R
      03-16-2012 05:45 AM #16
      I really hope this doesn't become the Cherokee. The worst decision Jeep ever made was to cease use and production of the 4.0 straight-6. I mean, that engine is starting virtually perfect, aside from MPG.
      IBEW Local 24

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      03-16-2012 07:42 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by brandonwillyumz View Post
      I really hope this doesn't become the Cherokee. The worst decision Jeep ever made was to cease use and production of the 4.0 straight-6. I mean, that engine is starting virtually perfect, aside from MPG.
      Test drive anything with the Pentastar V6, and see if your opinion of the old 4.0 still stands. There is a lot of love here for the 4.0, but it was not a modern engine by any means, in terms of NVH, fuel economy, and power delivery. Only about 180 HP out of 4 liters of displacement and about 17 MPG HWY. I owned two Jeeps with this engine and I honestly can say I'm glad Jeep moved on from that nostalgic lump.

03-16-2012 07:43 AM #18
      Really? That 4.0 wasn't as great as everyone around here says it was. I mean, it worked for the time, but how long can you excuse an engine that blows head gaskets, cracks manifolds and has a relatively inefficient head design?

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      03-16-2012 07:51 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      It's a test mule. It's probably safe to say that since it won't even be shown for nearly a year that it's simply undergoing testing and not exactly it's final shakedown before production begins.
      I do think that there are a few positive things to be gathered from the mule.

1. Wicked ground clearance. They must be serious about this having off road capability.
      2. Stretched Giulietta body indicates size/wheelbase of final vehicle. The final body will obviously be different.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-16-2012 07:51 AM #20
      One word. Ugly.
      One more word: mule.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-16-2012 07:52 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      Dude, it's still a year out. Patience.

The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-16-2012 08:08 AM #22
      People can't be dense to think this design from Alfa is the actual car

First it was established that it was the "mule" so they are simply testing the engine, tranny and other components. Second Jeep would NEVER let the Liberty/Cherokee go soft in looks. I would as noted above expect something similar to a JGC with more straight edges.

I'm still waiting to see what they do with it design wise to determine if I get this or the GC for the wife.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      03-16-2012 08:10 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      This is TCL, it really shouldn't surprise you that much.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      03-16-2012 08:28 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post

First it was established that it was the "mule" so they are simply testing the engine, tranny and other components. Second Jeep would NEVER let the Liberty/Cherokee go soft in looks. I would as noted above expect something similar to a JGC with more straight edges.

I'm still waiting to see what they do with it design wise to determine if I get this or the GC for the wife.
      I don't disagree with most of what you said here, but Jeep's design history under Cerebus and Daimler was not stellar (see the original Compass CUV and countless crappy interiors). Even the 1st gen Liberty was soft and googlie-eyed, compared to the Cherokee it replaced, and that Liberty was designed while Chrysler was still independent. Now, I don't think this new Chrysler/Fiat would ever make the same design mistakes as past stewards of the Jeep brand.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      03-16-2012 09:21 AM #25
      I don't disagree with most of what you said here, but Jeep's design history under Cerebus and Daimler was not stellar (see the original Compass CUV and countless crappy interiors). Even the 1st gen Liberty was soft and googlie-eyed, compared to the Cherokee it replaced, and that Liberty was designed while Chrysler was still independent. Now, I don't think this new Chrysler/Fiat would ever make the same design mistakes as past stewards of the Jeep brand.
      Rumor has it that it looks a bit like the Trailhawk concept and the Grand Cherokee, with a bit of the Renegade concept mixed in.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-16-2012 09:22 AM #26
      I agree that the last Liberty (read not current) was a bit more googlie-eyed to keep with their trend of circular headlamps (a la Wrangler). However I may be in a minority when I say that I really actually like the current look of the Liberty. It reminds me more of the Cherokee and dare I say less feminine/goofy in style. I would think minor exterior upgrades (headlamps, taillamps, panel sculpting in some areas) and an upgraded interior with the PV6 would do wonders for this car.

27. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-16-2012 09:54 AM #27
      I do think that there are a few positive things to be gathered from the mule.

1. Wicked ground clearance. They must be serious about this having off road capability.
      2. Stretched Giulietta body indicates size/wheelbase of final vehicle. The final body will obviously be different.
      Oh, I wasn't meaning to imply that information couldn't be gleaned from the spy photos of the mule, only that it was nowhere near production ready.

Certainly details such as exhaust hangers aren't worked out!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      03-16-2012 10:07 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      Really? That 4.0 wasn't as great as everyone around here says it was. I mean, it worked for the time, but how long can you excuse an engine that blows head gaskets, cracks manifolds and has a relatively inefficient head design?

Chris
      I thought the manifold cracking issue was fixed by the late '80s-early '90s. My old '86 had one.

Also, didn't realize there was a significant problem with head gaskets.

I'll give you that it's an inefficient head design. The high-output 4.0 makes far less power than many smaller engines, but it's old. Very old. Our current analytical tools for things like combustion events are much different than 20 years ago, when the newest 4.0 would have been designed, and engine management technology has also changed significantly in that time.

Vehicles
      2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
      03-16-2012 10:10 AM #29
      Aside from being the last of the once-common low revving pushrod inline 6s in the US, what made the 4.0 special?

Durable and torquey, I get, but virtually perfect?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Fiesta ST, Jeep 4.0, BMW e12
      03-16-2012 10:14 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post

Chris
      I think most people like it for its robustness and the fact that is is simple and easy to work on. Blown head gastkets isn't really a widespread problem. Can't argue with the cracked manifolds and inefficient heads though. Like any other engine, it has its share of problems.

Vehicles
      2009 Lancer GT, 2009 Passat CC
      08-22-2012 06:54 AM #31

Vehicles
      2013 TSX, 2014 JKU Willys, 2011 Zuma 125
      08-22-2012 07:40 AM #32
      If it looks anything like that or is a cuv it should not be named the Cherokee...I am excited to see it though..I think with Fiats help this could be a step up in quality.

33. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      G8 GT
      08-22-2012 08:09 AM #33
      Jeep Rogue.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      08-22-2012 08:50 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by kobra kai View Post
      Jeep Rogue.
      srsly
      Z is pronounced ZED