Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GTI v TDI Cup

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      03-15-2012 11:28 PM #1
      I know these are apples and oranges but just wanted to hear peoples' thoughts. I have a 2011 GTI which I ADORE ( a little too much if you ask others) and I drive 80 miles round trip a day. I use premium gas and fill up for about $56 every three days about. My husband and I are going to see a black TDI Cup tomorrow. It has 12k miles and looks beautiful from the pictures, we shall see. Anyway, we are contemplating getting the TDi Cup and that being my car and the GTI would be my hub's car but giving up the GTI makes me sad. On the other hand, paying less in gas makes me happy. I don't know, UGH...

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      03-15-2012 11:36 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by debmiller509 View Post
      I know these are apples and oranges but just wanted to hear peoples' thoughts. I have a 2011 GTI which I ADORE ( a little too much if you ask others) and I drive 80 miles round trip a day. I use premium gas and fill up for about $56 every three days about. My husband and I are going to see a black TDI Cup tomorrow. It has 12k miles and looks beautiful from the pictures, we shall see. Anyway, we are contemplating getting the TDi Cup and that being my car and the GTI would be my hub's car but giving up the GTI makes me sad. On the other hand, paying less in gas makes me happy. I don't know, UGH...
      drive the tdi on your commute, and drive the gti for fun on the weekends
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8T
      03-16-2012 12:24 AM #3
      I guarantee you won't miss the GTI. At All.

In my personal experience, I went from a 2008 GTI DSG leather, 17" and 18" wheels, etc. to a 2012 Golf TDI 6 speed, leather, 17" wheels, sport suspension, etc.
      I don't miss my GTI at all. Handling, acceleration, etc. You have so much torque in city driving that you'll barely notice it.

And the TDI Cup interior is exactly like a GTI, seats, trim, etc. That you won't miss.

The handling is exactly from a GLI/GTI. You won't miss that either.

The power difference is quite negligible. The GTI is fast to get up to speed...but so is my TDI.
      You can always get it Tuned or add a Tuning Box, and you'll get a lot more power there, thus making the feel of power difference even less.

Drive it and let us know what your thoughts are.

I love my TDI.
      Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      03-16-2012 05:21 AM #4
      IMO, and somewhat related to the previous poster, you should look at the Golf TDI, instead. Try one.

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      03-16-2012 08:01 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by oldschool86045 View Post
      In my personal experience, I went from a 2008 GTI DSG leather, 17" and 18" wheels, etc. to a 2012 Golf TDI 6 speed, leather, 17" wheels, sport suspension, etc.
      Leather seats are now offered in the 2012 Golf TDI....?

2013 4 Door R - CSG

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP 2013 BGM Golf TDI 6sp
      03-16-2012 08:32 AM #6
      @debmiller

It reeeeally just depends on what you're trying to get from the vehicle. If you are primarily focused on performance with economy, then stick with the GTI. If you're more focused on economy with performance, go for the TDI.

I've got an '11 Golf TDI 4dr DSG, fully loaded - its amazing but a tad underwhelming. Don't be fooled - you'll notice the loss of power and smaller power band. But that being said - I still smile when I have to pass retards who cruise at the speed limit in the fast lane

I've had an '08 .:R and '09 GTI - personally, I just need more performance... I've considered chipping but I don't want to complicate anything with the DSG longrun or deal with potential warranty issues... so i'll eventually trade up for the Golf R.

Vehicles
      a van
      03-16-2012 11:46 AM #7
      And the TDI Cup interior is exactly like a GTI, seats, trim, etc. That you won't miss.
      interior is not the same as a MK6 GTI. we're talking about the MKV Jetta TDI Cup right?
      the MK6 GTI interior is better.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      03-16-2012 12:05 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      interior is not the same as a MK6 GTI. we're talking about the MKV Jetta TDI Cup right?
      the MK6 GTI interior is better.

The TDI Cup Edition (2010 MKV Jetta) is far behind the MKVI GTI IMO

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/15/2...di-cup-review/

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/r...uspension.html

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      03-16-2012 12:46 PM #9
      MKVI FTW, improved design over the MKV.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8T
      03-17-2012 11:39 PM #10
      I should have been more clear, the MKV Jetta TDI Cup is the same interior as the MKV GTI. It is not as good as the MKVI GTI interior, BUT it is still very nice and high quality.

My mistake, leather seats come in the golf TDI in Canada.

But yes, the MKVI Golf TDI is a very good car with cloth sport seats. Essentially similar in setup to the MKV Jetta TDI Cup. interior/handling/performance.
      Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      03-18-2012 12:39 AM #11
      I should have been more clear, the MKV Jetta TDI Cup is the same interior as the MKV GTI.
      Not sure about MKV GTIs, but the MKVIs have different seats between the Autobahn and non Autobahn trims. The Autobahn trim level has leather "top sport" seats, which have much more substantial bolsters than the non Autobahn models. So, if the seats are of major importance, make sure to keep that in mind.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf , 2000 Golf GLS, 87 GTI (gone)
      03-18-2012 12:52 AM #12
      I dont have experience with the common rail TDI, but this just seems to have nailed it:

"It reeeeally just depends on what you're trying to get from the vehicle. If you are primarily focused on performance with economy, then stick with the GTI. If you're more focused on economy with performance, go for the TDI."