Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Steering Vibration issues

1. 03-16-2012 08:42 PM #1
      Hey guys I'm new to the forum and needed some help with an issue I'm having with my Passat. First the details on the car:
      2006 Passat 2.0T with 61k miles with current up to date maintenance
      Everything is factory stock on the vehicle except for the wheels. I have aftermarket 18x8 Moda wheels with Falken ZX19 tires.

I have been having issues with the vehicle vibrating slightly at 50-60 mph, but between 60-70+ mph it gets worse. However when I throttle off the vibration stops at 70 but when I accelerate it starts to shake again . I've had a new set of tire put on, rebalanced the wheels five times, alignment done three times, and have confirmed with three different shops the the tires and wheels are not out of shape. So, I'm stumped and can't figure out what the problem could be. I was looking around and some people have noted that the axles could be out of balance.

If some one could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Vehicles
      06 passat revo stage 2 w/ 3inch d/p with 3 inch straight pipe into magnaflow exhaust, lowered
      03-16-2012 08:53 PM #2
      hey im having the same problem i think its the rims i have on now there heavy wth low profile tires i never had the problem before so im guessing thats it but once i hit 60mph it shakes and stops after 70 .

3. 03-16-2012 09:08 PM #3
      I'm guessing it might have something to do with the vibrations. But for some reason at 60+ to 70+ mph the vibration accelerates when I throttle on, but when I throttle off it smooths out. I'm going to make an appointment to have the VW dealer check it out.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 2.0T Apr Stage 2(Sold)|2009 Tiguan SEL 4M (Sold) | 2009 Audi A4 Prestiage S-Line Quattro
      03-16-2012 09:48 PM #4
      1. check bents for the front wheels
      2. check uneven wear for the front tires
      3. check front rotors for warp if there's vibration while braking

5. 03-17-2012 03:54 PM #5
      checked the wheels, but no bends
      checked tires, no uneven wear (brand new tires)
      no vibrations when braking

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 2.0T Apr Stage 2(Sold)|2009 Tiguan SEL 4M (Sold) | 2009 Audi A4 Prestiage S-Line Quattro
      03-17-2012 04:38 PM #6
      the next will be your control arms, but really unlikely.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-18-2012 08:16 PM #7
      oh, remember i my audi takes a road forced wheel balance to get rid of the virbration

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jetta 1.8T, 2006 Passat 2.0T, 2012 Golf R
      03-19-2012 01:53 AM #8
      Consider the axles, wheel bearings or bushings for the front suspension components.

Vehicles
      '08 Viper coupe, '07 Passat (Sport II+ all options),
      03-19-2012 03:01 AM #9
      stop chasing your tail. your problem is your wheels are not hubcentric. Take one wheel off and measure the centerbore on the the wheel. I can almost guarantee you that your centerbore on your moda's is greater than 57.1mm which is what it should be. You need to get yourself a set of hubcentric rings that reduce the diameter from whatever your current wheel is down to the necessary 57.1 mm. You do that and you wont have any vibes. I had the exact same issue (vibration under acceleration at freeway speeds).
      2008 Very Viper Orange SRT-10 Coupe | KW V3s | Borla Catback | Interior bits
      2006 Viper Red SRT-10 Coupe | Gone..
      2007 VW Passat 2.0TFSI Sport II| APR S2+ 23psi | iForged 20s | Full euro inside & out

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 03:06 AM #10
      this is what you need (image for illustrative purposes)

2007 VW Passat 2.0TFSI Sport II| APR S2+ 23psi | iForged 20s | Full euro inside & out

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0T 6MT/96 Passat GLX VR6/ 87 Scirocco 16V
      03-19-2012 05:29 AM #11
      .. I hope he has had the rings installed .. thats wheels 101

Last time some one installed my wheels.. the ring was not fully seated because it had a small hook.. it looks different than the pic above.. so if you do have the rings.. make sure they are installed right..

JT
      Passat B6 6MT 2.0TFSI, Spork Pkg, Bixenons, Giac,EVOMS Intake, Neuspeed SS, NS Rear S B, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit, Peloquin LSD, VF Mounts, Forge DV and FMIC, 18x9 Wheels,Badgeless Grille, Hidef Rear Bumper/Spoiler/Tips, Votex Side, Abt Front lip..
      Passat B4 5MT GLX VR6. Moddified Intake Box with K&N Filter, Borla Muffler... more to come.

12. 03-19-2012 01:25 PM #12
      I checked the wheels to ensure that I have hub centric rings and they are installed. But it could be a possibility that the hub rings are not correct and I'm going to order a new set just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it resolves the issue, either way I'll give you guys an update. Thanks for the advise guys.

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 03:04 PM #13
      Make sure the rings are the correct size, you and your installers might be fooled by a ring that reduces to almost acceptable range so that it looks right, but there is still slop on the hub surface and thus the vibes. When you get the new rings pull a wheel off and test fit the ring on the hub and make sure everything is flush with no slop.

14. 03-19-2012 11:22 PM #14
      Thanks for the heads up I when ahead and ordered two sizes, one size that originally came with the wheels and another size that is 1mm larger

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      03-19-2012 11:42 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      Make sure the rings are the correct size, you and your installers might be fooled by a ring that reduces to almost acceptable range so that it looks right, but there is still slop on the hub surface and thus the vibes. When you get the new rings pull a wheel off and test fit the ring on the hub and make sure everything is flush with no slop.
      Yea, this is the most likely cause otherwise it will get fun diagnosing.

16. 03-31-2012 10:50 PM #16
      Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding and giving an update. I got the hub rings this week and had them installed last Wednesday. It has significantly improved the situation and has eliminated the wheel vibrations, unfortunately not completely, but not as sever as before. Now there is just a slight steering vibration and overall vibration at speeds excess of 75 mph; but since I won't be going past that speed very often I'm not going to worry about it.

Appreciate everyones advise and help with this.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      04-01-2012 02:12 AM #17
      i second that and i have factory alloys

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 03:44 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ntskylnr34 View Post
      Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding and giving an update. I got the hub rings this week and had them installed last Wednesday. It has significantly improved the situation and has eliminated the wheel vibrations, unfortunately not completely, but not as sever as before. Now there is just a slight steering vibration and overall vibration at speeds excess of 75 mph; but since I won't be going past that speed very often I'm not going to worry about it.

Appreciate everyones advise and help with this.
      Glad to hear things have improved. The remaining vibration is probably due to either improper balancing on the wheels, excessive runout on the wheels themselves (an impact bend or deformation), or unevenly worn tires (run your hand over your tire in a sweeping motion if the tire feels smooth, not bumpy or lumpy, then your tires are wearing evenly. if you feel bumps or the tire isnt completely smooth your tires are "chopping" aka wearing unevenly due to infrequent rotations or out of spec alignment). It can also be a combination of all the items listed.

19. 04-14-2012 01:42 PM #19
      Hey Guys,

I got a new update on the steering vibration. So the new hub centric rings are still working perfectly but as I had stated last time there still is a little bit of steering vibration. I had to take it to the VW dealer to have an oil change done and also had them double check the front axles and found out that the right CV boot is completely torn apart and the grease is almost gone.

So the reason for the remaining vibrations is the bad CV boot. Hopefully it should all be 100% after I get the CV boot replaced and new grease back installed.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      04-14-2012 02:00 PM #20
      Hey Guys,

I got a new update on the steering vibration. So the new hub centric rings are still working perfectly but as I had stated last time there still is a little bit of steering vibration. I had to take it to the VW dealer to have an oil change done and also had them double check the front axles and found out that the right CV boot is completely torn apart and the grease is almost gone.

So the reason for the remaining vibrations is the bad CV boot. Hopefully it should all be 100% after I get the CV boot replaced and new grease back installed.
      could u report back with how much it cost? i might be in the same boat.

21. 04-17-2012 07:16 PM #21
      Another update for you guys. I got the CV boot replaced at my work instead of the VW dealership. At VW they wanted $450 to fix it. I ordered the part wholesale for $21 and paid someone $80 to install it. So overall it cost me $101, which save me from spending unnecessary amounts of money.

However, I still have slight steering vibrations and overall vehicle vibrations when driving between 55 and 65 mph. I'm really debating on whether to order a set of used factory VW 18x8 wheels an get rid of these aftermarket wheels I have. Unless anyone else has any more suggestion on what I should do.

Vehicles
      04-17-2012 10:40 PM #22
      Another update for you guys. I got the CV boot replaced at my work instead of the VW dealership. At VW they wanted $450 to fix it. I ordered the part wholesale for $21 and paid someone $80 to install it. So overall it cost me $101, which save me from spending unnecessary amounts of money.

However, I still have slight steering vibrations and overall vehicle vibrations when driving between 55 and 65 mph. I'm really debating on whether to order a set of used factory VW 18x8 wheels an get rid of these aftermarket wheels I have. Unless anyone else has any more suggestion on what I should do.
      As i've said before, localized vibration that only occurs at certain speeds is TELL TALE sign of an unbalanced rotating mass. Its your wheels man, it always was. First you fixed the biggest vibe of all--unseated hub surface--with hub-centric rings. Now the rest is most certainly caused by your wheels either being out of round or improperly balanced.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 VW Eurovan GLS
      04-18-2012 07:12 PM #23
      Hmm... not sure about that. I've had the same vibrations between 55 - 75mph. I have 17" Denvers on my Passat, so VW wheels. I've had the same shop re-balance my wheels twice and same vibrations. Since then I've had my Passat in to the dealer to fix a tranny issue and they reported both of my outer CV boots were torn. I replaced my TCM a week ago and, sure enough, my drivers side outer CV boot is torn... leading me to believe my CV joint IS in fact going and giving me the vibrations.

I'm thinking about picking up some Cardone axles from Napa and swapping them to make sure that's the issue... cheaper than the $257/ea the dealer wants to just replace the outer boots.
      Last edited by dallas4u; 04-18-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T, 2008 Touareg VR6 (for sale), 2003 Audi A6 3.0
      04-18-2012 09:26 PM #24
      If the boots are torn, start there. You may already know this but make sure you are torquing down the wheels properly too. This can make a difference with aluminum wheels.
      Last edited by Tutti57; 04-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.
      2006 Passat 2.0T Tiptronic | Unitronic Stage 2 | DG Springs | Newsouth Boost Gauge | BFI Tranny Insert | Rev D DV | BSH PCV fix | eBay Downpipe w/cat | Autotech Exhaust | DDM HIDs | Bentley Manual | VCDS
      2008 Touareg VR6

25. 04-21-2012 05:45 PM #25
      Hey dallas4u, it's a better choice to get the boot your self have it installed at a shop other than the VW dealer.

On another note I had the wheels rebalanced again and also had them retorted after 15 miles and I still have the vibration. The wheel shop let me know that the wheels balanced out perfectly and didn't have any issues; but I still have the vibrations. I think the wheels are out of round slightly and the shops aren't able to notice it when balancing the wheels. I think I'm going to order a set of factory 18x8 wheels or get the VWR wheels being offered by APR, I was looking at them today and they aren't that bad; also considering that they only weigh 19lbs it should be nice.

I'll let you know what I figure out.