2) Passenger side seat tray kit - ECStuning.com

Tools needed:
      1)T25 Torx bit
      2) socket extension
      3) M10 triple square bit
      4) 2-3 zip ties

Estimated time required:
      30 minutes per seat

This does require an odd bit, called an M10 triple square bit. I was able to find this set of 4 in various sizes at O'Reilly's for $5.

First you'll want to adjust the seat all the way up.

Slide the seat all the way forward next, exposing the two triple square bolts in the rear.

Use the triple square bit to remove these bolts.

Slide the seat all the way back now, and repeat for the two triple square bolts in the front.

Lift the seat back, exposing the underside. Find these two spots here for the speed nuts.

With the nipple facing up, insert the speed nuts into the holes.

Next, find the torx screw on the under side of the plastic seat bottom cover. Use the torx bit and the extension to remove it.

Grab your seat tray holder, and note the brackets on the rear of the piece.

These brackets get slid into metal slots in the bottom of the seat.

With the piece in place, you will need to guide it into the metal wire that holds it in place.

When done correctly, it will look like this.

Insert the tabs on the original plastic seat cover into the new tray bracket.

Locate the spot for the screw on the side of the piece facing the shifter. Use the torx bit and extension to screw in the torx bit. I found it was much easier to do this one first.

I struggled with the next bit for a few minutes. Because it is hard to access, I ended up attacking it from the top and used by fingers to get it started like this. Once I had it in, I used the torx bit and extension to finish it off.

Use the guide on the rail to get the seat back in place and tighten back up the 3 square bolts.

Insert the track into the bracket and you're done.

Few things of note:

The passenger side has a seat sensor module on the bottom of it. Its to let the car know if someone is sitting there so it will deploy the airbag in case of an accident. You will have to move it to install the tray on the passenger side.

At the very top of the sensor's plastic mount, you will see this. If you look closely, you'll see a small circle in the middle of the area with the arrow pointing to it. You'll need to take a drill bit (or something similar) and press in that circle for an inch or so. This will free the sensor's mount and you can move it to the back of the seat once the tray is installed. I used a few zipties to keep it from moving around.

Lastly, these trays are pretty small. I was hoping they would be a bit bigger so they could hold more stuff (I specifically bought them to put my OEM first aid kit in one of them, sadly it is too big). So keep that in mind if you're thinking of getting them. They are nice to have, but they will only hold a few small items. Both of these pictures were taking with the cubby fully extended.
      Matt / 2012 Candy GLI / AWE / APR

official mk6 Jetta/GLI DIY guide

Hit me up if you need a VAGCOM in Phoenix.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta Sedan SEL w/ Sunroof
      03-17-2012 04:41 AM #2
      Excellent writeup!! Been wanting these ever since i purchased my car.

What was the lead time from ECS?
      How deep is the drawer? 4" or so?

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE 2014 Accord EX-L
      03-17-2012 07:48 AM #3
      Can the seats still be lowered all the way down?

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-17-2012 08:06 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by suprstng00 View Post
      Excellent writeup!! Been wanting these ever since i purchased my car.

What was the lead time from ECS?
      I originally ordered them when they were on back order the second week of January. ECS clearly stated when I made the order that they didn't have an expected ETA until mid-March. In the time in between, I checked the ETA every few weeks and it would change would change so eventually I stopped checking. To ECS's credit, they arrived exactly when they originally said they would, I got them yesterday. When I was looking at some other forums to see if anyone else had ordered them (mostly GTI owners), I saw many other mentions of back orders, so if I had to guess these are not stocked in the US and come from Germany every so often. My advice is if you want them, just order them and they'll show up when they show up.

Quote Originally Posted by suprstng00 View Post
      That depends on how you look at it. Technically, the drawer is about 9 inches wide and about 5 inches deep. However, the crux of them tray is that it doesn't open very much at all, around 2 inches. These would have a lot more usability of the trays had extendable arms at the rear, to allow them to open more.

Quote Originally Posted by dh71704 View Post
      Can the seats still be lowered all the way down?
      Yes. There is no loss of function to the seats at all, as there is plenty of room under them. There is also no fit issues with the bluetooth module on the passenger side. It fit perfectly underneath the tray.
      Last edited by asusc; 03-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta VI "S"trippo
      03-17-2012 08:27 AM #5
      Nice write-up. This is one of my favorite mods I have done, but yeah, dem sum small drawers

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-17-2012 09:41 AM #6
      FYI a I believe I used a T35 on the seat bolts when I was doing other things but w/e

Side note: Does anyone have a NEW maybe late model 2012 GLI? I only ask because I was on VW.com and the seats they show are all black but different than the SE/SEL seats but NOT Black/Red and half Cloth. Could this be a change they made or perhaps an error on the site?
      Last edited by Verebs1; 03-17-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI
      03-17-2012 09:42 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by asusc View Post
      Looks great Too bad I'cant do it because of the Fender amp in there...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-17-2012 11:02 AM #8
      Where in the world did you get those seats?
      2012 Candy White GLI Autobahn 6spd
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-17-2012 11:24 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
      Where in the world did you get those seats?
      AHH Haa! Are the seats in your GLI all black? Without the red stitching?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      03-17-2012 11:25 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      AHH Haa! Are the seats in your GLI all black? Without the red stitching?
      No mine are all black leatherette with red stitching. Mine don't have any cloth.
      2012 Candy White GLI Autobahn 6spd
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-17-2012 11:27 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
      No mine are all black leatherette with red stitching. Mine don't have any cloth.
      I think thats because you have the Autobahn

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-17-2012 03:23 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by jpcacosta View Post
      Looks great Too bad I'cant do it because of the Fender amp in there...
      I bet you still could, especially if it's the same size as the bluetooth module on the passenger side.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn Candy White
      03-17-2012 04:19 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by asusc View Post
      I bet you still could, especially if it's the same size as the bluetooth module on the passenger side.
      Taking a peak under there the other day and there is really not a whole lot of space under there for the drivers seat because of the Fender amp on the Autobahns. Additionally, it gets pretty hot under there already, I cant imagine putting this under there restricting the already limited air flow to the amp. Might be something to look at for the passenger side though. Nice DIY as usually asusc.
      Pride in the Simple Stuff.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta Sedan SEL w/ Sunroof
      03-18-2012 07:41 PM #14
      asusc thanks for the measurement pics!

Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R 4D
      03-19-2012 11:17 AM #15
      Nice write up. I wish these were a little bigger; its a nice idea however. I came from an SUV with big cubby holes everywhere to this car and theres really only two spots and they arent that big. This might be an option for me.

I have to say; the only thing I could think of when I saw these drawers were it would be a good spot to hide your stash haha.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      07 baggedwagon, now 12 GLI
      03-19-2012 11:30 AM #16
      Great write up as always.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-19-2012 11:48 AM #17
      Judging by the space under my seats theres lots of room. I'm disappointed by the size of the drawers. Glad I didn't buy them. (no offence)

18. 03-19-2012 11:53 AM #18
      Great job on the DIY !

Vehicles
      99.5 tdi jetta, 00 bt tdi jetta, 98 tdi jetta
      05-20-2012 04:41 PM #19
      So can u do this on a autobahn?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i coupe & 2012 VW Jetta SE
      05-20-2012 07:26 PM #20
      That is AWESOME! Nice little place to put stuff where a car vandal wouldn't look (sadly, a bit of a problem in my area). Will have to look into this.
      2008 BMW 335i 6MT coupe - Montego Blue Metallic | ///M-Sport package | 19" BBS RS-GT

2012 VW Jetta SE - Reflex Silver Metallic | bike rack, tint, powdered Detroits, '13 Hybrid/GLI rep headlights

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-20-2012 07:53 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubgolf00 View Post
      So can u do this on a autobahn?
      Any Mk6.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i coupe & 2012 VW Jetta SE
      06-01-2012 12:41 PM #22
      Just installed one of these today on my driver's side. Install was very simple. Like the OP said though, the lack of space is somewhat disappointing. It does help keep my center console clean though. I'll add one of these to the passenger side eventually.
      2008 BMW 335i 6MT coupe - Montego Blue Metallic | ///M-Sport package | 19" BBS RS-GT

2012 VW Jetta SE - Reflex Silver Metallic | bike rack, tint, powdered Detroits, '13 Hybrid/GLI rep headlights

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn w/ DSG (TR)
      03-29-2013 07:21 PM #23
      sorry to revive such an old thread but after searching this thread is actually still the most relevant!

i was just about to order a seat tray kit but spoke with ECS tuning via live chat and they told me it won't fit in a GLI Autobahn at first they said yes, but then i mentioned it's an autobahn (and told them it has heated seats and the fender amp under the driver-side seat) and they changed their mind. i'm not sure if they are just guessing or if they actually know what they're talking about.

can anyone with an autobahn or who 100% knows the answer to this confirm that these will fit under either seat before i go ahead and make the purchase? just trying to avoid sending boxes back and forth with ECS.

thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL premium
      03-30-2013 12:02 AM #24
      I'm glad u brought this back, I was about to buy them, but because of the drawer size, I don't think it's worth it for me. It does look nice. Unfortunately I can't answer your question though.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      03-30-2013 12:25 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by steve526 View Post
      sorry to revive such an old thread but after searching this thread is actually still the most relevant!

i was just about to order a seat tray kit but spoke with ECS tuning via live chat and they told me it won't fit in a GLI Autobahn at first they said yes, but then i mentioned it's an autobahn (and told them it has heated seats and the fender amp under the driver-side seat) and they changed their mind. i'm not sure if they are just guessing or if they actually know what they're talking about.

can anyone with an autobahn or who 100% knows the answer to this confirm that these will fit under either seat before i go ahead and make the purchase? just trying to avoid sending boxes back and forth with ECS.

thanks in advance!
      I would say that since the drawer doesn't sir in the floor and it doesn't rest against the bottom of the seat, that you should be fine

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch VCDS/VAG-COM in CT¡!¡!
      Email: verebs1@yahoo.com
      Text: 203-526-9562

26. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn w/ DSG (TR)
      03-30-2013 01:51 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      I would say that since the drawer doesn't sir in the floor and it doesn't rest against the bottom of the seat, that you should be fine

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch VCDS/VAG-COM in CT¡!¡!
      Email: verebs1@yahoo.com
      Text: 203-526-9562
      haha i hope so. i know the drawers are small, but it's enough room to stash some cables or small items and stop them from annoying me by making a mess in the glovebox. i'm just going to bite the bullet and order one...i'll give an update later on whether or not they fit/function properly on autobahn models to hopefully put someone else's mind at ease in the future.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta VI "S"trippo
      03-30-2013 08:55 PM #27
      I cannot answer the GLI fitment question but I can say although these may seem small they can hold a heck of a lot of crap. Definitely one of the first things I would recommend for the MKVI. It is an easy install that you will really thank yourself time and time again for having done.

28. n00b
      07-30-2013 01:29 PM #28
      Has anyone tried this on a GLI autobahn yet? The ECS site now says that it only works on non powered seats.

I'm going to add one to the passenger side (no power seat there), and would do the driver's side if I can.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav
      02-24-2014 11:41 AM #29
      I've had these sitting around forever and I just got around to putting them in. I didn't have any trouble fitting them to either the non-powered or powered seat, although the pleather material rubs against the top of the drawer when closed. Haven't driven it enough yet to know if there will be squeaking because of it.

The drawers aren't a perfect match to the seats, but the imperfections are something you'd have to look for. If you show your car you probably won't want these installed, but otherwise they're fine.

The driver's side was actually easier to install since there's no seat sensor to move. Just unbolt the seat, tilt it back, and put the drawer on. There was a module strapped to the bottom of the seat but the drawer fit over it just fine. I'm hoping heat won't be an issue for that module. I'm not too worried about the fender amp overheating since I pretty much only listen to podcasts.

When the driver's seat is completely lowered the outer edge of the drawer just barely sits on the carpet, but there is still ~10mm of clearance above the fender amp. If you are a big person and want your seat down all the way you might want to trim the bottom of the drawer a bit to provide some clearance, you should have plenty of material to do so without compromising structural integrity.

The only other note I have is that the GLI seat molding doesn't have the teeth that fit into the seat, as pictured here:

However, they still seem to work great and once everything is installed you can't see that.

Vehicles
      1996 VR6 GTI, and 2014 Jetta TDI
      10-22-2014 06:45 PM #30
      Who still sells these seat drawers? ECS doesn't list them anymore.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta SE
      10-22-2014 07:50 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by MBounds@SOWO View Post
      ECS still sells them. They must have changed the URLs
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...Seat_Tray_Kit/
      2014 Jetta SE 1.8 TSI
      Upgrades:
      RNS-315 (NAV, BT, BT Audio), Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel, OEM Heated Seats, 17" Silver Bathurst Alloys, ECS Tuning Fog light kit w/Euro switch, Chrome exhaust tips.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 TR GLI AB DSG VISA MC AMEX
      10-22-2014 07:53 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by MBounds@SOWO View Post
      As usual, you can still find them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Drawer-...1fbb7e&vxp=mtr

Although, surprisingly, the seller is not in China but in N. Carolina

33. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified Ones
      10-23-2014 11:10 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
      ECS still sells them. They must have changed the URLs
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...Seat_Tray_Kit/
      Thanks for sharing our link!

Andy

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram