Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Recommendations on any of these DVR surveillance camera kits for home/biz use?

Vehicles
      One for each need
      03-17-2012 03:15 AM #1
      I'm looking to beef up the security of my home. Safe neighborhood, but weird neighbor with mental issues and attractive cars parked in my driveway with family at home. Would be nice to have generally anyway. Need at least a few IR cameras pointed around outside with motion detection, ideally with alerts and iOS connectivity. Still considering budget, but ideally $300 or less if that buys anything worthwhile. There are a few systems that seem to be well regarded on NewEgg for around that, but wanted to ping here first. What say you folks?

This is the one I'm considering- I have a home server this would be a perfect addition to.

http://lorexstore.lorextechnology.co...?id=2140&nav=0
      Last edited by Sentinelist; 03-17-2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Added another system

2. 05-03-2012 10:06 AM #2
      gee why do you need all this pain in the a**? Ready to use kits are generally more complicated than building it up by yourself. Buy a cam YOU REALLY NEED and download free or shareware app from the web like xeoma which I use and think it's great. Choose the functions you need, not the ones that are simply in the kit. that's my opinion and my advice, GL

Vehicles
      One for each need
      05-03-2012 08:09 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by r3v0lution View Post
      gee why do you need all this pain in the a**? Ready to use kits are generally more complicated than building it up by yourself. Buy a cam YOU REALLY NEED and download free or shareware app from the web like xeoma which I use and think it's great. Choose the functions you need, not the ones that are simply in the kit. that's my opinion and my advice, GL
      Uh, where are you seeing a PITA? Or are you afraid of computer guts and/or running cables for a job properly done? It sounds like you're describing a USB webcam and some freeware, which ain't cutting it. That would be a PITA for my needs.

I went ahead and bought the product in the link above - which was then discontinued, lucked out - for $199 but haven't installed it yet. Looks quality, but I may look into that software suggestion anyhow if it's any good. Something, at least, since what it came with is perhaps the worst software I've ever installed. What developer locks the screen size and doesn't even put min/max/close buttons on a Windows client? At any rate, the hardware looks superb and will be perfect for all the coverage I need day or night. I may update back here with thoughts after I get it up if anyone's interested.

edit: err, it's the QLR-460.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 05-03-2012 at 08:13 PM.

4. 05-04-2012 06:49 AM #4
      Can you post some of actual snapshots please? Like day/night or something?

5. 05-14-2012 04:40 AM #5
      guess not. shame. would be interesting
      looks like it turned out to be PITA after all. told you.

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-14-2012 01:02 PM #6
      Absolutely untrue. Many kits today are a lot cheaper, easier, and more reliable than building it up yourself.

I gotten one setup for my sister in law in about 2 hours. The most work is figuring out where to put the camera and wiring.

The DVR kits these days are amazingly simple and powerful compare to crap you have to build yourself and configure.

Vehicles
      One for each need
      05-15-2012 02:01 AM #7
      guess not. shame. would be interesting
      looks like it turned out to be PITA after all. told you.
      Yeah, you sure told me. I must have just looked at the wires and pussied out. Nevermind the fact that I'm busy as hell with a project at work and am expecting my wife to go into labor with our second child any day now. That's certainly no excuse for 1.5 weeks and no response. You sure told me.
      Last edited by Sentinelist; 05-15-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      05-15-2012 08:42 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelist View Post
      Yeah, you sure told me. I must have just looked at the wires and pussied out. Nevermind the fact that I'm busy as hell with a project at work and am expecting my wife to go into labor with our second child any day now. That's certainly no excuse for 1.5 weeks and no response. You sure told me.
      Hey, now. Go easy on him. He's had a rough day in World of Warcraft.

FWIW, I would be interested in hearing more once you have it setup. I am thinking of also setting up a similar system soon when I move in with my girlfriend.

Vehicles
      One for each need
      08-19-2012 12:16 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Suture View Post
      Hey, now. Go easy on him. He's had a rough day in World of Warcraft.

FWIW, I would be interested in hearing more once you have it setup. I am thinking of also setting up a similar system soon when I move in with my girlfriend.

UPDATE: I'm installing it this weekend. The cameras got mounted and wires run today, and I'm in the process of running the wires through an exterior wall and into my server tomorrow to config. Standby...

Vehicles
      One for each need
      08-20-2012 12:52 AM #10
      All cams are up! Family and I are having a great time watching eachother go run out and see eachother on IR, adjust angles and other good stuff. Still have to configure the whole setup and get the DVR going with this, but so far so good. The nighttime range is at least factory spec of 50' if not a bit more. Impressed.

Software still sucks like nobody's business, though- I need to find something that supports BNC cameras and this Lorex 'tuner card'. iSpy looks fabulous, but webcam and IP only. It's likely this is all proprietary. But for the money, this is a great experiment. Even if I were to get a different setup, as long as it was BNC, the wires are all ran and I could just swap out devices in an hour. Running wires (properly) is what took the longest amount of time here.

As soon as I get the system configured and recording, I'll do a proper write-up.

11. 09-03-2012 03:21 PM #11
      I'm not getting any cameras until I can afford multiple Sony 1080p 30fps HD cameras and 6 weeks of 24hr DVR for each camera with offsite backup.

12. 09-04-2012 02:52 PM #12
      in for updates.
      .:dubnoxious:.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R
      09-05-2012 03:47 PM #13
      Glad to hear the progress. Will check back for your update.